ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's record for receiving yards as a senior!

VincePITT

Sophomore
Jul 9, 2008
Western, PA
Checking out the 2018 Media Guide, Rafael Araujo-Lopes is Pitt's only senior WR. Pitt's record for receiving yards as a senior is 975 by Henry Tuten, 1989! Rafael led Pitt in receptions, totaling 43 for 531 yards (12.3 avg.) and two scores. Does anyone think Rafael can have a big year and break the 29 year mark?
1f3c8.png

I feel it is possible. As long as no one jumps over him in rotation. Arujo is a great possession receiver he could be the go to.

Checking out the 2018 Media Guide, Rafael Araujo-Lopes is Pitt's only senior WR. Pitt's record for receiving yards as a senior is 975 by Henry Tuten, 1989! Rafael led Pitt in receptions, totaling 43 for 531 yards (12.3 avg.) and two scores. Does anyone think Rafael can have a big year and break the 29 year mark?
1f3c8.png
Definitely!

1f3c8.png
No

Mike Shanahan and his 983 receiving yards his senior year is “not pleased” by this post.

I’m shocked guys like street, weah, Terry Murphy, latif Grimm didn’t have better sr years. Even RJ English,

Last edited:
Horrible sign if he goes for 1000. Means run game was horrible and no bigger receivers caught the ball down field. If he was involved in the return game and those yards were included I would say huge year. Otherwise please hope it doesn't happen.

Mike Shanahan and his 983 receiving yards his senior year is “not pleased” by this post.

I’m shocked guys like street, weah, Terry Murphy, latif Grimm didn’t have better sr years. Even RJ English,

Nope. I see lots of ball control football in Pitt's future. Don't take risks and put the defense in bad positions.

1f3c8.png

Well I looked everybody up but if I would have had to of make a guess, I’d have bet my life we would have had a sr wr eclipse the 1000 yard mark.

My guess would not have been Mike Shanahan in 100 years.

Well the reason I give Rafeal no shot is because even if he adds an extra catch in each game ( to 56 assuming a bowl game) and ups his yards per catch by 3 yards to 15.3 (no easy feat) he will still be be short of 975 yards. (856)

Wow, that stat is almost unbelievable. I remember r.j. English leading the big east in receiving yards as a senior, i for some reason thought he was at at least 950 if not closer to 1000 yards. I didn’t realize that he led the entire conference with just 760 receiving yards.

He did add another 76 yards receiving in the tangerine bowl, but I believe it was the very next year 2002 (?) that they started including bowl game statistics in your yearly stats. Still wouldn’t have been enough to get him the pitt senior receiver record though. Crazy.

Well I looked everybody up but if I would have had to of make a guess, I’d have bet my life we would have had a sr wr eclipse the 1000 yard mark.

My guess would not have been Mike Shanahan in 100 years.
Wait, so why doesn’t the record belong to mike Shanahan? 983 yards including the bowl game, which was officially part of the stats by then.

Reactions: VincePITT
Nope. I see lots of ball control football in Pitt's future. Don't take risks and put the defense in bad positions.
uh, the last three years the entire area between the one yard lines has been a bad position for the Pitt defense...

My mistake, I thought I saw the info came right from the media guide (although they could’ve made a mistake also.)
NP, it happens. like I said, I had to look it up myself. Can you imagine, Mike Shanahan is the leading Sr. WR yards leader going back to the 80's, that's amazing.

I know it's a stat that's misleading, leaving guys like AB, Fitz, Greg Lee off of it since they never had a Sr year but still very surprising..

Reactions: Pittx9
2.5 of the last 3 seasons- that would be correct. The last half of last year- the defense was pretty good. I'm assuming that trend will continue next year and the defense will be a strength.

uh, the last three years the entire area between the one yard lines has been a bad position for the Pitt defense...

1f3c8.png
No chance because he can't stretch the field, at all, and is no danger with the ball in his hands. We will be a pretty bad team if RAL is our leading WR.

Reactions: pittdan77
2.5 of the last 3 seasons- that would be correct. The last half of last year- the defense was pretty good. I'm assuming that trend will continue next year and the defense will be a strength.

Strength relative to the team or a strength in the objective sense of the word?
I agree the defense should be improved. But do you honestly think we're going to have the kind of defense where we play ball control offense and just let the defense do the rest?

Reactions: Jpripper88

Is that what you saw with Pickett on the field? I saw more life and risks being taken. Pickett can stretch the field with his legs and arm.

Yeah, the strength of this team will be the defense next year. Even with their schedule I would think Pitt ends up with a top 25 defense.

Pickett is going to make plays but he's still a young QB. Until a young WR shows otherwise, Tipton, Lopes, Matthews, etc are all possession WRs. Hall isn't likely to rip off long runs consistently. All that spells ball control and safe passes to me.

Strength relative to the team or a strength in the objective sense of the word?
I agree the defense should be improved. But do you honestly think we're going to have the kind of defense where we play ball control offense and just let the defense do the rest?

Yeah, the strength of this team will be the defense next year. Even with their schedule I would think Pitt ends up with a top 25 defense.

That's probably the difference between those of us that want the offense opened up a little bit and those that want ball control and don't make mistakes.

I could care less how they get there- just win as much as you can.

That's probably the difference between those of us that want the offense opened up a little bit and those that want ball control and don't make mistakes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT