ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's second-best RB duo was....

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
Who was Pitt's second-best running back duo? As it's clearly Tony Dorsett and Elliott Walker as Pitt's best RB duo. So that's why I'm asking who was Pitt's second-best running back duo.

Some for consideration:

Craig Heyward and Charles Gladman
Curvin Richards and Adam Walker
Curtis Martin and Billy West
LeSean McCoy and LaRod Stephens-Howling
Dion Lewis and Ray Graham
Quadree Ollison and Darrin Hall
Israel Abanikanda and Rodney Hammond

Others? Your pick?

Reactions: WillyDavis33
I don’t know who is the best but I will happily point out that one of my favorite ass kickings all time was Pitt-vt 2018.

Ollison 16 carries 235 yards
Hall 7 carries 186 yards

18 yards a carry against a rival.

I distinctly remember that the vt bench looked like they just wanted to get that game over with halfway through the third quarter

Who was Pitt's second-best running back duo? As it's clearly Tony Dorsett and Elliott Walker as Pitt's best RB duo. So that's why I'm asking who was Pitt's second-best running back duo.

Some for consideration:

Others? Your pick?
Lewis and Graham.

I don’t know who is the best but I will happily point out that one of my favorite ass kickings all time was Pitt-vt 2018.

Hall 7 carries 186 yards

I distinctly remember that the vt bench looked like they just wanted to get that game over with halfway through the third quarter
Production wise you can make the case for them. In the context that the passing game was basically useless.

Gladman and Heyward definitely is the most unfulfilling duo. If Craig didn’t get suspended in 1985 I think Foge’s job would’ve been saved. Pitt would’ve gone at least 7-4 that season and those two would’ve been even better in 1986.

The problem was there no discipline under Foge. The running backs clearly weren’t afraid of position coach, Andy Urbanic. Similar to Dawkins and Collins walking all over Foge and the receivers coach in 1982.

The underrated duo is Richards and Walker.

Some for consideration:

Others? Your pick?
We have had really good rb groups over the years

My pick is Lewis and Graham

If we're talking about guys simply being on the roster at the same time, there are some good ones (Conner, Ollison, and Hall were all on the team... and Chawntez Moss initially looked good... plus Whitehead was getting some carries). But I assume we're talking about combined production in the same season.

One I haven't seen mentioned a whole lot (aside from in the OP) is McCoy and Stephens-Howling, mostly because McCoy was the best Pitt back in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Hall 7 carries 186 yards

A rival?

I’d go with Lewis and Graham - just so elusive. How did Wanny find these guys? We’ve had no RBs with their change-of-direction ability since then…

Go Pitt.

Reactions: singregardless

Some for consideration:

Others? Your pick?
Heyward and Gladman. But the bad thing is they kept Brian Davis from playing as a freshman.

Cool topic. I’ve read that Marshall Goldberg was part of a “dream backfield”. Can’t find a ton about it though.

Heyward and Gladman. But the bad thing is they kept Brian Davis from playing as a freshman.
Ironic that Heyward and Gladman were both highly regarded recruits coming out of high school, yet neither was as heralded as Davis. Brian Davis probably would have been the most gifted back in Pitt history after Dorsett. Too bad he had no discipline for college ball.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther

Hall 7 carries 186 yards

That game was a blast

To be honest Ollison and Hall and I saw all of them back

Some for consideration:

Others? Your pick?
To be honest I went right to Ollison and Hall and I saw most of them on that list live.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Lewis and Graham may actually have been the best. I always think about Graham’s injury and how he was dominating the rushing race that year. Really sad. Lewis was so elusive that he changed the offensive philosophy. He would give us so many yards in a first down carry that it opened up the passing game on 2nd and third downs.

Gladman and Heyward definitely is the most unfulfilling duo. If Craig didn’t get suspended in 1985 I think Foge’s job would’ve been saved. Pitt would’ve gone at least 7-4 that season and those two would’ve been even better in 1986.

The problem was there no discipline under Foge. The running backs clearly weren’t afraid of position coach, Andy Urbanic. Similar to Dawkins and Collins walking all over Foge and the receivers coach in 1982.

The underrated duo is Richards and Walker.

I dunno... never a fan of Gladman. Ran upright (and hence took some serious shots - go watch the '84 OU game on YT) and was a fumbler. How 2 coaching staff's gave him carries over Ironhead is one of the great mysteries. IIRC, it wasn't until his fumbling finally caught up to him that Gottfried benched him and Ironhead responded with 200+ against Miami. Remember, Foge had Brian Davis for all of 2 or 3 games in '85 where he showed probably the best natural talent of any RB IMHO. Just a tragedy no one could motivate him to fulfill his promise.

Curvin Richards was another fumbler... hard pass.

I go with Shady and LSH. Shady was a generational back and LSH lasted in the pro's longer than most Pitt backs not named TD/Martin/Ironhead/Shady/Connor. Considering 2/5 are in the Hall of Fame - that says something.

Besides TD and CMART, how many 100 yard rushing games do PITT alumni have in the NFL?

For instance, wasn't it Goings who had a run of like 5 or 6 straight 100 yard games in 2004?

Some for consideration:

Others? Your pick?
Sad to say that our current roster can’t compare to any of these duos.

hall and ollison their sr year, were great. i mean both could win and take over a game, and they did. the list is good but i cant recall when both players were good the same year like with hall and ollison..

Some for consideration:

Others? Your pick?
Skip Gougler and Harry McCarter. Except McCarter did have that bad punt decision in the '17 game against WVU that year that almost cost them the game..

"Fickle Fortune flirted to the West Virginia banner in the third period. King, the lanky halfback, stood on his own 32-yard line and booted the ball. (Pitt halfback Harry) McCarter let it hit the ground, which was baked hard. The ball bounded away from the Pitt 25-yard mark, where it hit, back toward the goal line. On the 1-yard line McCarter grabbed the elusive ball and in a nonce Capt. Bailey, of the home team, had grabbed him around the waist and McCarter was thrown back over the goal line for a safety."

Besides TD and CMART, how many 100 yard rushing games do PITT alumni have in the NFL?

For instance, wasn't it Goings who had a run of like 5 or 6 straight 100 yard games in 2004?
James Conner has about 15. LeSean McCoy had close to 40.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT