ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Wide Receivers

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Has to be the worst group in school history? I cant think of a worse one. We all want to blame Slovis but why are 3 guys running the same route to the same area on Slovis's ill-advised Hail Mary throws from the 30 yard line? In all of my years watching college football, I dont ever think of seen those types of "Hail Mary's" in the 1st Half. Guys arent running the right routes.

Wayne is the only P5 level WR on the team. He is the only deep threat, the only guy who can get open. And even he is good for 1 drop per game.

Going forward, especially with Wayne, potentially leaving, this is the biggest need that needs addressed. Narduzzi has been asleep at the switch in recruiting HS WR's. I've asked this a few times but what happened to preferred walk-on Devin Whitlock? I doubt he would have helped but he had about as good a WPIAL career as you can have and sometimes walk-ons develop

Reactions: chirurgo
Have to agree with much of what you said. I don’t know if the WRs (minus Wayne), can’t get separation or are poor route runners. I was expecting much more of Means, Barden, Mumpfield as a deep threat, and the bevy of young guys. But the passing game needs a jumpstart. Disappointed in Underwood. Thought he was a good coaching pickup, but other than recruiting, hasn’t shown much.

I think several years ago when Weah was our leading receiver was a pretty bad group. I can’t recall when that was probably suppressed memories.

Agree. The receivers seem confused and predictable. There is no reason Slovis should be sitting in the pocket for more than 4 secs on a pass waiting for something to happen. This is squarely on the receivers or the play calling. As for the play calling, I don’t think I have ever seen a more ridiculous play(on a sustained drive moreover) than the backward screen pass then throw to the opposite sideline which was intercepted. 2 questions this raises: 1. Why was the play designed in the first place? 2. Why is it necessary at that point in the game?

WRs, WR coach and OC need a thorough inspection at the very least.

Has to be the worst group in school history? I cant think of a worse one. We all want to blame Slovis but why are 3 guys running the same route to the same area on Slovis's ill-advised Hail Mary throws from the 30 yard line? In all of my years watching college football, I dont ever think of seen those types of "Hail Mary's" in the 1st Half. Guys arent running the right routes.

Wayne is the only P5 level WR on the team. He is the only deep threat, the only guy who can get open. And even he is good for 1 drop per game.

Going forward, especially with Wayne, potentially leaving, this is the biggest need that needs addressed. Narduzzi has been asleep at the switch in recruiting HS WR's. I've asked this a few times but what happened to preferred walk-on Devin Whitlock? I doubt he would have helped but he had about as good a WPIAL career as you can have and sometimes walk-ons develop

Worse in history is hyperbole, but, yes, I actually agree with one of your post. Ive been in the "Get Barden in the game camp" but he clearly cant run routes. Wayne is seriously good, no doubt, he isnt a burner though, just possession guy. Mumpfield seems ok to good, but isnt a difference maker we thought he would be.

Really, Slovis doesnt have any time, we arent picking up blitzes at all, so it has been super difficult to judge the receivers because Slovis doesnt have time to throw the ball. I like how we are throwing more screens, because teams are bringing heat and blitzing every down. This should slow that down.

I do think the group is not at all difference makers, as many said would be the case at the start of the year. I was hoping for someone to stand out and really become a star this year, with Bradley out and no one else stepping up, it looks bleak

Good news is we are getting a lot of good players in the next class if we can keep them.

Coach Kid N Play with the 90s haircut on the sideline may be partly to blame.

All the shots you all used to take at Marion and now look at us.

Last edited:
I think several years ago when Weah was our leading receiver was a pretty bad group. I can’t recall when that was probably suppressed memories.
Yea, I remember that Weah group being all-time bad. I cant remember who was all on it though. Weah did have a cup of coffee in the NFL so I generally think he and Wayne are similar. But, man, after Wayne, its really really bad.

Agree. The receivers seem confused and predictable. There is no reason Slovis should be sitting in the pocket for more than 4 secs on a pass waiting for something to happen. This is squarely on the receivers or the play calling. As for the play calling, I don’t think I have ever seen a more ridiculous play(on a sustained drive moreover) than the backward screen pass then throw to the opposite sideline which was intercepted. 2 questions this raises: 1. Why was the play designed in the first place? 2. Why is it necessary at that point in the game?

WRs, WR coach and OC need a thorough inspection at the very least.
Yeah that play sucked and even if it worked it was still silly.

The Louisville bunch INT had 2 TEs basically running into each other.

The INT this week also involved TE Karter Johnson seemingly running the same route in the same 3-yard area of the field as Wayne and using his 2.3" vertical to ignore going up for the ball.

This is an issue with play calling and design as much, if not more, than the receivers. What did both plays have in common? They both had a safety running untouched and getting to Slovis before any quarterback would be able to react.

ADVERTISEMENT