ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh makes headlines as Covid cases surge

PittMiamiRivalry

Redshirt
Aug 30, 2017
PITTSBURGH — A little more than three weeks ago, officials in Pittsburgh announced a milestone enviable for almost any major city in America: A day had gone by without a single new confirmed case of the coronavirus. It was good news for a city that had seen only a modest outbreak all along, even as the virus raged through places like Philadelphia and New York.

That was then.

Western Pennsylvania is suddenly experiencing an alarming surge of infections.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/12/us/coronavirus-pittsburgh-pennsylvania.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Since you posted a thread I thought I would do a little research. Yesterday Allegheny county one death today Allegheny county zero deaths and reported in. That many people are killed in Chicago every hour of every day.

Reactions: Farnox
Since you posted a thread I thought I would do a little research. Yesterday Allegheny county one death today Allegheny county zero deaths and reported in. That many people are killed in Chicago every hour of every day.
And I'm sure that death wasn't really covid. They are attaching covid.to any death. This is ridiculous.

If you are shot in Chicago do they test you for Corona virus at the morgue? Asking for a friend.

PITTSBURGH — A little more than three weeks ago, officials in Pittsburgh announced a milestone enviable for almost any major city in America: A day had gone by without a single new confirmed case of the coronavirus. It was good news for a city that had seen only a modest outbreak all along, even as the virus raged through places like Philadelphia and New York.

That was then.

Western Pennsylvania is suddenly experiencing an alarming surge of infections.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/12/us/coronavirus-pittsburgh-pennsylvania.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

If this is a surge we should all be relieved.

Reactions: PittFathead87
I am interested in how many people who are experiencing long-term effects after recovery. I've read and watched some stories of people who have some severe issues and it's downright scary. What they don't tell us is how many people have long-term damage versus how many are fully recovered.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Covid turn into a chickenpox type of virus where years later a different type of virus emerges

The comparison is that the Democrats want to shut the economy down using the coronavirus saying that it is such a bad thing but will not do anything to help the city of Chicago which is been run by inept Democrats for years and years. You should feel bad for even thinking what you said

This is a dumb comparison. You should feel bad.

Last edited:
IMHO, way too much reliance in drawing personal conclusions by so many being based on sensationalized, solely anecdotal, worst case, scarry stories intentionally designed by the media to sell advertising and boost profits.

Saw one example of such an anecdotal story over the weekend. It was about an infant in Texas that had Covid and died. You had to read well down into the story to find out that the tragic death wasn't from Covid but was entirely from other causes and that this was absolutely an example of dying with Covid and not from Covid.

So much of this kind of reporting leads to Covid-centric fear-driven attitudes by members of the public rather than more rational bigger-picture thinking. This type of thing seems, again IMHO, to be leading, in turn, to driving many political leaders into taking excessive actions intended to control the disease--actions that will quite possibly result in more harm being done overall to public health than the disease itself alone would cause.

The comparison is that the Democrats want to shut the economy down using the coronavirus saying that it is such a bad thing but will not do anything to help the city of Chicago which is been run by inept Democrats for years and years. You should feel bad for even thinking what you said

They have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Chicago is just some lazy talking point right wingers use when they want to shift the debate.

Fun fact. Pittsburgh has a higher murder rate per 100K residents than does Chicago.

And informed people understand that the health of a population and the economy aren’t independent. I don’t know how much should be shut down or when but since people aren’t willing to do something as simple as wearing a mask those decisions will be made for us.

The governors of Tx and Az started shutting stuff down because of the surge. Abbott said more may be coming. Those darn Democrats...

Sweden tried not shutting down and their economy suffered anyway.

Exactly! Slight overreaction huh?

Wait a few weeks before we celebrate. Deaths lag.

Some UPMC physicians have said things seem to be less virulent for now but again we won’t know for sure until some time passes. Additionally people are being diagnosed earlier which increases the lag time.

We don't have much of a surge here. Of the daily numbers get to 500 give or take regularly I'll call it a real surge. If it gets to that number and lingers there for weeks and weeks then over time we'll see hospitalizations, etc. slowly increase. Takes time.

The media is hyping this COVID stuff and people are falling for it. The media has been overhyping everything about this and making people scared to walk outside or breathe the air. Yes, if you get it, it's nothing to sneeze at (pardon the pun). But very, very few people have gotten it and, contrary to what the media is trying to push, we are taking good steps to make sure the spread is contained. The media won't tell us this, but we actually are doing a great job here in Pittsburgh. Some of the border states and the states where there are large gatherings of young people have some issues, but again and in relative terms, it's not as bad as the media is trying to make it out to be.

Reactions: PittFathead87
Some places are doing ok. Others are not. And there’s no question a lot of media has become clickbait. If it bleeds it leads. But I’ve read positive stories locally.

As far as containment...as a whole, not really. It’s good that some regions are doing ok but we as a country need to do better. One of these looks like containment. The other does not.

Last edited:
Google Dr. Scott Atlas. Those that speak of following facts and science, let's do it. He has some interesting things to say. Take a minute

what lie are you referring to?

Really a Hitler reference!! Haha you need to take your meds.

Stop your lunatic LIES. We don't need Bretbart propoganda. Morons like you can find on the ir site. The Dems don't want to shut down anything except a Fascist White House. Peopke wondered how Hitler came to power and then jerks like you showed us how. Go away and hide in your hole.

Fun fact. Pittsburgh has a higher murder rate per 100K residents than does Chicago.

Not according to Wikipedia, which claims to be using the FBI's numbers. They have Chicago at 24.13 per 100K and Pittsburgh at 17.98.

Having said that, Chicago does not have the worst murder rate. St. Louis does. Baltimore second, Detroit third, New Orleans fourth, Baton Rouge fifth, proving, I guess, that those Cajuns really don't like each other.

They have Chicago 10th and Pittsburgh 15th. And that's among the top 100 cities in population, so there certainly could be some smaller cities that would be high on the list but are too small to be included.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT