ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburghwrestlingclub thanks Nish for continued support

Italianpittbull

Walk-on
Gold Member
Apr 17, 2017
PWC cannot thank Nish for not only supporting pitt athletics but also his support the PWC/regional training center

Not sure if everyone understands the involvement and budget the club runs on

This year our budget is close to $100,000
Probably 90 percent is from donations

We pay for a coach and support the two current resident athletes and there competitions

This investment in turns benefits recruits and allows for high end training partners through the RTC

I will be open to any questions but want to personally thank Nish for his recent donation which helps fund jon Gingrich from penn state

We hope that you guys here can spread the word for us and donate on the Pittsburgh Wrestling club site
We are a non profit organization

My number is on the site
Thanks again Nish

Mundo

Thanks Mundo. Fact of the matter is we need a few, or ideally, more than a few alums to write a $10,000 check each and every year. We have several successful wrestling alums that have yet to pitch in.

Sorry, I got cut off. We especially need those that were once part of the wrestling program to help get us back on top and giving to the RTC gets us more workout partners which is priority #1 to attract nationally ranked wrestlers. We can then use as many $500 - $1000 donors as we can get. Hopefully Mike412 has come around and made a donation but, if not, the RTC can really use your help.

Who should we donate to? Should it be the Pitt Wrestling Club or to the Pitt Wrestling Championship Fund? Which helps Pitt wrestling more? I already made a donation to PWC and was going to make donation to WCF next.

Both can use the money which is obvious by now. The way I see it, PWC donations have an immediate impact, like getting another training partner. Pitt has big plans for wrestling facilities and they'll need help with funding but the outcome there is longer term. Like I said, we need donations in both places so there's no wrong answer here.

Speaking of training partners, does Pitt have any plans to add Army WCAP wrestlers? I see that the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club uses this. I am not really sure how it works.

On donations for sports like wrestling, it seems to me that you could create a season ticket/donation package that offers season tickets at $500 for two tickets that has a donation component of say $400 and the actual tickets can be used (obviously) or put into a pool made available to youth wrestling programs for kids to go with a parent/coach. You’d probably get better attendance, raise a bit of money, engage with the youth wrestling programs, build some “fans” early and wrestling supporters can have a donation size that is manageble/attractive.

Maybe all of this is available, but it feels like you, as the donor, need to pull it all together—as opposed to being solicited with the “Promote Yourh Wrestling” donor program (or whatever you package and call it).

Just try to leverage proximity to the local programs, raise some money, fill some seats, etc. I can say that I’ve never been asked to buy a ticket to any event other than women’s hoops as an add on to my men’s hoops season tickets.

Just a thought and I’m sure the Athletic Department needs more resources to pull stuff like this off.

Both can use the money which is obvious by now. The way I see it, PWC donations have an immediate impact, like getting another training partner. Pitt has big plans for wrestling facilities and they'll need help with funding but the outcome there is longer term. Like I said, we need donations in both places so there's no wrong answer here.

this is probably far too complex of a question but what is the relationship between a RTC and Pitt? How does it benefit each of them? if there are any resources online explaining what a RTC does, how it works with colleges and local wrestling clubs

- a new follower of college wrestling

@Italianpittbull

Essentially the RTC is a regional training center where post grad wrestling can continue their trading and compete. Training for the Olympic team etc.. What actually occurs is that there are wrestlers trading who can work out and teach current Pitt wrestlers as they train. This is very important for recruiting elite wrestlers who may go to a school where they have good trading partners.

Reactions: upitt98 and mjf313
Essentially the RTC is a regional training center where post grad wrestling can continue their trading and compete. Training for the Olympic team etc.. What actually occurs is that there are wrestlers trading who can work out and teach current Pitt wrestlers as they train. This is very important for recruiting elite wrestlers who may go to a school where they have good trading partners.

ah, makes sense. so wrestlers at the RTC can be viewed as additional team mates / coaches for training purposes. steel sharpens steel etc etc

Correct. That's why the goal is to get 6 training partners at the RTC, one for each Olympic weight class. Pitt is not allowed to provide funding for the RTC. All expenses are covered by donations. Figure on average $25,000 per year for each training partner, or $150,000 for all 6. That's just salary. All in, about twice that to cover all expenses. Got any extra cash laying around?

Reactions: upitt98 and mjf313
On donations for sports like wrestling, it seems to me that you could create a season ticket/donation package that offers season tickets at $500 for two tickets that has a donation component of say $400 and the actual tickets can be used (obviously) or put into a pool made available to youth wrestling programs for kids to go with a parent/coach. You’d probably get better attendance, raise a bit of money, engage with the youth wrestling programs, build some “fans” early and wrestling supporters can have a donation size that is manageble/attractive.

Maybe all of this is available, but it feels like you, as the donor, need to pull it all together—as opposed to being solicited with the “Promote Yourh Wrestling” donor program (or whatever you package and call it).

Just try to leverage proximity to the local programs, raise some money, fill some seats, etc. I can say that I’ve never been asked to buy a ticket to any event other than women’s hoops as an add on to my men’s hoops season tickets.

Just a thought and I’m sure the Athletic Department needs more resources to pull stuff like this off.
Season tickets for wrestling are only $35, and you can flex them, i.e. you get 7(I think there are 7 matches) season tickets, but you can use them any way you'd like. You can go to 1 match and bring 6 friends, or go yourself to each match, and every combo in between.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT