ADVERTISEMENT

Players are questioning the rationale for playing in 2020

PittMiamiRivalry

Redshirt
Aug 30, 2017
The SEC conducted conversations with some players who questioned the rationale for playing the 2020 college football season. The answer? Yes, every team wilt have infected players and that cannot be avoided. Sure, just like every battle will have injured soldiers. Other than to keep the big dollars coming to the Power 5 conferences, what will playing this season prove? Trump likes to talk about mild cases and how young people can easily deal with the virus, but reports from players already infected don't support his inane claim.

College football will start but how long will it last?

Only 3 players have opted out of the season thus far. They are probably 3 of the smarter players in the country.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Serious question, what is the risk to 20 year old athletes? And are they more at risk on the field than living in dorms, going to Lowes, grocery store, parties, going to work, etc. They are the least impacted age group and are more at risk of some other injury impacting them than COVID.

we're well into covid. i'm not being rude but you know the answer. i'll spell it out regardless.

what happens to 20 years olds? not a lot. most are symptom free. however, the spread to others is the problem. they WILL spread it to friends, relatives, support staff who are around them. it's the community spread that works it's way up to others. this leads to businesses closing, children's activities (which is needed), parents being off work for extended periods as they don't deal well with it. etc etc. essential workers being at greater risk who then have greater symptoms. perhaps not death but out of work for a lot of time, if nothing else. imagine running an essential business - how in the world do you run projects when key staff members get sick and can't work for a few weeks?

it's horrible. we always hear about the impact of the common flu on society. and it's astronomical. multiply that by 10. are very in shape 20 years old going to drop dead? probably not. what are the long term effects though? good evidence showing that it's not great and we don't know the full story on that.

There’s plenty of places to look if you really want that serious question to be treated... seriously

grocery stores aren’t high risk with distancing and masks although hanging out with someone indoors who is infected is of course dangerous... stuff like contact sports is obviously dangerous... wrestling for example, football, basketball.

An overnight summer camp for kids in GA had some thing like 500 or so that attended ...260 or so tested positive. They are now realizing young kids in fact are super spreaders... and I’ll be honest I can’t understand how anyone is surprised other than being in a state of “gotta get back to normal “ denialism...think about kids KIDS SPREAD EVERYTHING... if you have kids they bring home colds,flu and virus every school year.. Covid is a *virus*.... where in the hell anyone believed they can’t spread it was always about hoping it was true. It makes no sense based on anything I’ve ever experienced in real life?

anyway same is true with sports right now ... if not for $$$ and General hope... people wouldn’t even be considering it.

Serious question, what is the risk to 20 year old athletes? And are they more at risk on the field than living in dorms, going to Lowes, grocery store, parties, going to work, etc. They are the least impacted age group and are more at risk of some other injury impacting them than COVID.
In addition to infecting others who are more at-risk, the big risk for athletes would be long-term complications as a result of contracting the coronavirus.

Just this past week, Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez (27 years old) was shut down for the 2020 season after he developed myocarditis, a heart inflammation disease that came from having COVID. That’s pretty scary stuff.

If you are offered a scholarship and accept it, you should be required to graduate before moving on, or else be required to pay the tuition out of your pocket.

Reactions: PittPanthers90

we're well into covid. i'm not being rude but you know the answer. i'll spell it out regardless.

what happens to 20 years olds? not a lot. most are symptom free. however, the spread to others is the problem. they WILL spread it to friends, relatives, support staff who are around them. it's the community spread that works it's way up to others. this leads to businesses closing, children's activities (which is needed), parents being off work for extended periods as they don't deal well with it. etc etc. essential workers being at greater risk who then have greater symptoms. perhaps not death but out of work for a lot of time, if nothing else. imagine running an essential business - how in the world do you run projects when key staff members get sick and can't work for a few weeks?

it's horrible. we always hear about the impact of the common flu on society. and it's astronomical. multiply that by 10. are very in shape 20 years old going to drop dead? probably not. what are the long term effects though? good evidence showing that it's not great and we don't know the full story on that.

If I'm an athlete at any level this would be my primary concern given the research of its frequency in other countries.

27 year old Boston Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez will miss the entire season because of heart inflammation caused by COVID-19.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/red-sox-pitcher-rodriguez-out-for-year-covid-19-1.5672050

If you are offered a scholarship and accept it, you should be required to graduate before moving on, or else be required to pay the tuition out of your pocket.

So... since scholarships are not guaranteed for the duration of your entire career by colleges and are renewed year-to-year.... If you accept a new job with an employer that could use your services for 4-5 years, but doesn’t guarantee the pay for more than one year at a time, and you decide to leave that job after 2 years for a better situation for yourself, you are going to give them back 2 years of past wages for the work you completed for them over the first 2 years? I doubt it.

So... since scholarships are not guaranteed for the duration of your entire career by colleges and are renewed year-to-year.... If you accept a new job with an employer that could use your services for 4-5 years, but doesn’t guarantee the pay for more than one year at a time, and you decide to leave that job after 2 years for a better situation for yourself, you are going to give them back 2 years of past wages for the work you completed for them over the first 2 years? I doubt it.
My mistake. I assumed that when offered a scholarship the school couldn’t pull the carpet out from under your feet. I get it now.

Reactions: JoseLind13
But but but they are young and athletic .
No way in hell if I was a lineman would I play this year

there was a pretty good back and forth on twitter between the AD at Texas A&M justifying having 50k at games this year and a national CFB writer. I don't know whether to laugh or cry anymore about it.

Selfishly, I want football. In my heart, I know this would help spread the virus. It makes me think that we are just trying to get to late November before we have another shutdown/quarantine in this country. I don’t see another way.

Selfishly, I want football. In my heart, I know this would help spread the virus. It makes me think that we are just trying to get to late November before we have another shutdown/quarantine in this country. I don’t see another way.
Yeah I get it
We all want some kind of return to normal
Everything about the past 5 months sucks

Scholarships are year to year, and schools are not required to guarantee that you graduate before terminating your scholarship. If anything, your proposal should go both ways.

The damage this virus seems to do to organs other than the lungs is pretty prevalent even in mild cases. It doesn't seem like many in this country are reporting on that aspect. Hopefully he can recover.

While I agree that there does appear to be obvious long term damage, in some healthy people, it's too early to understand the subtleties. The long-term cost to our health system will be incredible.

Effing lunatics

There's no excuse for that from the coaches and whomever else is doing that, but does anyone else see the irony of complaints from athletes that is accompanied by a picture that shows the faces of seven people pretty clearly and only two of those seven (and only one of the six players) is actually wearing a mask correctly? Although to be fair it does look like the two guys in the background that you can't tell for sure may be wearing theirs correctly as well.

I was also wondering how are high schools going to know if their players have it or not unless they test them.

Easy, Governor Wolf is going to let local school boards decide if a student athlete has it, then when they recover they will receive a "Governor fit to return" certificate to hang on the wall.

The SEC conducted conversations with some players who questioned the rationale for playing the 2020 college football season. The answer? Yes, every team wilt have infected players and that cannot be avoided. Sure, just like every battle will have injured soldiers. Other than to keep the big dollars coming to the Power 5 conferences, what will playing this season prove? Trump likes to talk about mild cases and how young people can easily deal with the virus, but reports from players already infected don't support his inane claim.

College football will start but how long will it last?

They can choose not to play, and I would suggest they don't if they have major concerns.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
In addition to infecting others who are more at-risk, the big risk for athletes would be long-term complications as a result of contracting the coronavirus.

Just this past week, Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez (27 years old) was shut down for the 2020 season after he developed myocarditis, a heart inflammation disease that came from having COVID. That’s pretty scary stuff.

Taking 1 player out of 100s who have been infected in sports is not a good argument. Anything can happen, but they are way more at risk of long term effects from playing football than from COVID.

Reactions: BIGPanther
Taking 1 player out of 100s who have been infected in sports is not a good argument. Anything can happen, but they are way more at risk of long term effects from playing football than from COVID.
You didn’t ask how likely the risk was, just what the risk itself was. I provided that answer and you can make of it what you will.

What specific threats? This is just a list of dramatic generalities. If you make your decision off of such things, you are part of quite an interesting tribe.

Or we could just protect those over 70 who are the huge bulk of deaths. Or you can just shout down and censor everyone who disagrees with you and keep people locked down forever.

The damage this virus seems to do to organs other than the lungs is pretty prevalent even in mild cases. It doesn't seem like many in this country are reporting on that aspect. Hopefully he can recover.
What is the damage? How many have this damage? What underlying factors were present? How does this compare to other diseases and events that cause damage to the body?

But if you will only look at evidence that supports what you want to believe, you will always come to this conclusion.

There are many doctors that disagree with this, why don’t you trust their words? Aren’t you at least curious why social media took down what these doctors had to say?

Looks like Parson at enabler u is sitting out the year to go pro now. Who wouldn't want to hang out in crappy valley with everything to do there??

AP18155797428929-1024x610.jpg

My fear is this whole thing has triggered something where we are now making decisions based on the scariest, selected anecdotal evidence that we can find rather than on the data. I suppose that same mentality is the reason the state lottery system is a $70B+ industry, but I was always taught that was from people that are bad at math.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT