ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Time Minutes

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Last season's allocation of the team available 200 minutes per game--adjusted to 33 games for players that played in fewer than 33 games--looks like this:

Returning Minutes Per Game (120.3 minutes)

X. Joihnson--------31.8
T. McGowens----- 27.8
A. Toney------------24.4
T. Brown------------19.0
K. Chukwuka------17.3

Not Returning Minutes Per Game (79.7 minutes)

J.W. Frame--------30.1
S. N'Dir-------------17.7
M. Ellison----------19.7
K. Davis------------10.2
Rest of Team-------2.0

How might minutes be allocated for next season based on this data from last season?

(1) If we assume Chukwuka is not available we can assign his minutes to the grad transfer, Hamilton. That would mean that none of the "not returning" 79.7 minutes would need to go to him.

(2) It seems reasonable to assume that the 2.0 Rest of Team minutes would not change much, if at all. That leaves 77.7 minutes to allocate to Murphy, Drumgoole, Champagnie and Coulibaly.

(3) Believing that Murphy, a guard, and Drumgoole, a guard-forward, are our best 3-ball shooters and we also need to replace last year's contribution from Frame (3-ball shooting) and N'Dir (backup to Johnson and McGowens) we could probably allocate their combined 47.8 minutes to Murphy and Drumgoole. That is an average of about 24 minutes each--not sure how the minutes might actually be split.

(4) That leaves Ellison's & Davis's combined 29.9 minutes to be allocated between Coulibaly and Champagnie. That is an average of about 15 minutes each--again, not sure how the minutes might actually be split.

Bottom LIne(?):

IMO, every newcomer could expect to get a minimum of about 10 minutes of PT per game unless, or until, a fully recovered Chukwuka reclaims his 17+ minutes per game.

Even with a healthy Chukwuka, it might still be that about 10 minutes per game could be the floor for each newcomer because only about 4+1/2 minutes average per each newcomer would need to be subtracted from each to fund Chukwuka's 17-18 minutes.

Interested to see how minutes get allocated in Italy in August. Can hardly wait!

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I posted this breakdown as a guess as to the minutes allocation, minus garbage time, and not including Chukwuka given his uncertain status. I haven’t seen anything to particularly change my mind since then.

PG:
Xavier - 32
Trey - 6
Murphy - 2

SG:
Trey - 24
Murphy - 13
Drumgoole - 3

SF:
Toney - 21
Drumgoole - 13
Champagnie - 6

PF:
Hamilton - 14
Coulibaly - 13
Toney - 7
Champagnie - 6

C:
Brown - 24
Hamilton - 10
Coulibaly - 6

Reactions: HOF Coach
The potential upside of this 2019-20 roster is greater than the results produced by the 2018-2019 team, even with JWF's graduation. A lot of minutes will be consumed this upcoming season by players who were not on the roster last season, replacing a ton of unproductive minutes from those who did play.

Hamilton and Murphy bring experience and possibly leadership. Both have specific roles carved out for them to focus their skills on. Remember that N'Dir went weeks during ACC play without making a 3-point shot. Murphy has a low bar there to exceed. Hamilton's interior defense is a major improvement from what little effectiveness Chukwuka provided.

Drumgoole, Champagnie and Coulibaly combined should deliver more than what Ellison, Davis and Stevenson (while he was here) produced, despite being true freshmen. The grind of playing a longer and more intense college schedule will eventually cause them to hit the "freshmen wall", no different than how it hit X, Trey and Toney last season. But remember, by the last month of the season, Davis' minutes had been significantly cut, Ellison's minutes were reduced to a role player instead of a Captain's minutes and Stevenson was gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonyt66
A few weeks ago I posted this breakdown as a guess as to the minutes allocation, minus garbage time, and not including Chukwuka given his uncertain status. I haven’t seen anything to particularly change my mind since then.

PG:
Xavier - 32
Trey - 6
Murphy - 2

SG:
Trey - 24
Murphy - 13
Drumgoole - 3

SF:
Toney - 21
Drumgoole - 13
Champagnie - 6

PF:
Hamilton - 14
Coulibaly - 13
Toney - 7
Champagnie - 6

C:
Brown - 24
Hamilton - 10
Coulibaly - 6

Seems pretty reasonable overall. However, I am not sure I agree with the relative distribution of minutes at PF and C between Brown, Hamilton and Coulibaly. It does imply we will be using 2-bigs simultaneously most of the time which I believe is possible--although many other posters on here do not believe that will happen.

My biggest doubt is whether Coulibaly will see any time at Center--it doesn't suit what I have seen of his game. I might give Brown a couple of minutes less of PT and Hamilton more PT at C and less at PF. It also occurs to me that Brown (at least on offense) could play some PF--he does have a pretty good jump shot out to FT line distance.

Maybe something like this--

PF:
Coulibaly - 14
Hamilton - 7
Brown - 7
Toney - 7
Champagnie - 5

C:
Brown - 22
Hamilton - 16
Coulibaly - 2

But--I am just nit-picking. :)

Seems pretty reasonable overall. However, I am not sure I agree with the relative distribution of minutes at PF and C between Brown, Hamilton and Coulibaly. It does imply we will be using 2-bigs simultaneously most of the time which I believe is possible--although many other posters on here do not believe that will happen.

My biggest doubt is whether Coulibaly will see any time at Center--it doesn't suit what I have seen of his game. I might give Brown a couple of minutes less of PT and Hamilton more PT at C and less at PF. It also occurs to me that Brown (at least on offense) could play some PF--he does have a pretty good jump shot out to FT line distance.

Maybe something like this--

PF:
Coulibaly - 14
Hamilton - 7
Brown - 7
Toney - 7
Champagnie - 5

C:
Brown - 22
Hamilton - 16
Coulibaly - 2

But--I am just nit-picking. :)
Yeah, I think a lot of this hinges on the overall minutes split between a lineup with two guards, two wings, and a forward; and lineups with two guards, a wing and two forwards. Last year (by default) we saw a whole bunch of two guard, two wing lineups. This year, there’s certainly a lot more flexibility in terms of personnel to use both setups depending on matchups and opponents - which will be a big improvement either way.

My minutes projection was predicated on a little bit more two forward usage, but I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see a 25/15 split in favor of two wing usage, which would obviously entail Toney and Champagnie playing more minutes at the “four”, even if they aren’t playing that traditional “four” role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT