ADVERTISEMENT

Pochettino!!!???

Big fan of his work with Spurs. Doesn't have a lot of international experience (never coached, only played 20 senior games) but he'll have some time to get his system set up.

Surprised he took this over getting another big club job.

What a coup, about the best I could've hoped for, WOW. Hayes and Poch is a great combo
Also love that the federation was decisive and got him now. As I saw at Chelsea, it will take time for the team to peak. The funny thing is though, our talent pool is small. Aside from some players here and there, we know our core. At Chelsea with squad sizes so large and depth charts so deep, getting the right combinations with the right system is quite a challenge. With the US, it shouldn’t be difficult.

I wonder if they will require him to live in Chicago or Atlanta.

Reactions: 121rum
Seems very credentialed. How would the soccer fiends on the board describe his style of coaching/play?

Seems very credentialed. How would the soccer fiends on the board describe his style of coaching/play?

One of his major influences is Marcelo Bielsa, who is from the same province in Argentina and worked with him at Newell's Old Boys.

Here you go, man. I really don’t think he has a particular philosophy. It depends on his squad. He’s a popular and respected coach by peers and players. Is he a masterclass like Klopp or Pep? No. But he’s top 15 in Europe and some might say top 10. He’s light years ahead of anyone we’ve had or will get. He took a club like Spurs with modest talent to #2 in the EPL and a champions league final. He won a title at PSG, the biggest club in France, coaching a front three of Neymar, Mbappe and Messi. He was brought there to win a champions league but didn’t. But that club never does.

I think he will play in a back 4 with the fullbacks getting forward and the guys like Johnny and Tyler Adams dropping to cover when they do so. He likes building out from the back, which Berhalter did to. So the team is used to that. But I don’t think he’s married to it either. In the front he will look to press.

He’s coached at the highest levels and while he’s never coaches internationally, he knows all the players and levels of teams we will see in the knockout rounds. He coached at Spurs, PSG, Chelsea and was recently being considered at Man United. These are some of the biggest clubs in the world. And there was rumor that England was considering him, which is obviously a better job. But maybe he was told they are not interested so he jumped at this opportunity. Who knows?

All I know is he’s the best we ever got and likely ever will. It’s ambitious for our federation. It also helps that he worked in England with the guy who runs our federation.

Also love that the federation was decisive and got him now. As I saw at Chelsea, it will take time for the team to peak. The funny thing is though, our talent pool is small. Aside from some players here and there, we know our core. At Chelsea with squad sizes so large and depth charts so deep, getting the right combinations with the right system is quite a challenge. With the US, it shouldn’t be difficult.

I wonder if they will require him to live in Chicago or Atlanta.
Espn article said there’s a settlement at Chelsea that needs to be completed before he can sign the contract. My Blues and the American owners better get on the ball because the US has matches in September during the international window.

The article also said Poch won’t have to move to the US because he can watch all of our players play in Europe every week. . Now why in the world would he not want to live here and scout our MLS players? Haha.

Espn article said there’s a settlement at Chelsea that needs to be completed before he can sign the contract. My Blues and the American owners better get on the ball because the US has matches in September during the international window.

The article also said Poch won’t have to move to the US because he can watch all of our players play in Europe every week. . Now why in the world would he not want to live here and scout our MLS players? Haha.

I'm guessing there are guys now in MLS who will be on the team in 26. But I get your point.

I think he'll let the interim staff coach the team while he'll be in more of an observing role

Thank you both. Sounds like a no doubter selection, which means that it's now up to the players to show whether they can put it together. Excited to see what happens.
Here’s a really good article where three talking heads grade the hire and give their opinions. They say a lot of what I said to you a couple of days ago but do it so much better. I also like at the end where they compare our team player to player, to Poch’s Spurs team that he took to the champions league Final. There are some really profound similarities.

Check out this story from Fox Sports

Reactions: nycpanther98
Big fan of his work with Spurs. Doesn't have a lot of international experience (never coached, only played 20 senior games) but he'll have some time to get his system set up.

Surprised he took this over getting another big club job.
Funny that cup competitions are said to be a proven strength. Getting Spurs to the UCL is impressive and he did get Chelsea to Wembley twice in his first year (league cup and FA Cup). But none of those yielded trophies.

It’s also universally believed that we have the best manager in the entire international soccer world. Well, him or Nagelsman.

Reactions: brdst11
Funny that cup competitions are said to be a proven strength. Getting Spurs to the UCL is impressive and he did get Chelsea to Wembley twice in his first year (league cup and FA Cup). But none of those yielded trophies.

It’s also universally believed that we have the best manager in the entire international soccer world. Well, him or Nagelsman.

He got Spurs through two of those CL rounds without Harry Kane.

Handball early in the final was just too much to overcome.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT