ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: If the Backyard Brawl was an annual game again, when is the best time to schedule it?

When's the best time to schedule the Backyard Brawl?

• Season opener every year - talk about getting psyched up for the season opener, no cupcake here.

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Week 2 - better to get the kinks out playing a cupcake wk 1, although risk upset overlooking them

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • Before ACC play - get it over with so there's no distraction going into conference play

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • During the season - nice to get a break from ACC play

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Season ending game Thanksgiving - the way it should be, but distracts from ACC title game if in it.

Votes: 79 62.2%

• Total voters

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
If the Backyard Brawl ever became an annual game again, and I know that's a GIANT if, when would be the best time to schedule it?

It won't be the end game though it should, but making it the opener is fun.

Why can’t it be the end of the season game? Plenty of other ACC teams end their seasons against teams from other conferences. Why couldn’t we be the sixth ACC school to do that? That’s what makes the most sense by mile.

Why can’t it be the end of the season game? Plenty of other ACC teams end their seasons against teams from other conferences. Why couldn’t we be the sixth ACC school to do that? That’s what makes the most sense by mile.

Yeah....it is a game just aching to be played in cold, dreary gray weather.

I just don't want to be standing behind a long line of hoopies to get my ribs at the Ribfest before or after the home opener! What a terrible way to ruin a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeydavid

That's true

IF Pitt v WVU returns as an annual game, it should go where it traditionally belongs - somewhere in the middle. The place it was before the Big East needed a conference ending game.

If the Backyard Brawl ever became an annual game again, and I know that's a GIANT if, when would be the best time to schedule it?

I hope we dont re-new it. I absolutely hated traveling to Morgantown and having cuss words at my kids and cat calls at my wife. And it was usually night games where most everyone is drunk.

Reactions: JokePa
See, I solve that by loudly and uncomfortably cussing out my own kids and cat calling my own wife. That confuses them and buys me time.

I’ve always been disappointed that the WVU fans have never cat called me. I’ve been working out and making much better dietary choices and I think I deserve a cat call or two as well, but noooooo, those monsters just won’t do it.

Reactions: ChazzMo
I hope we dont re-new it. I absolutely hated traveling to Morgantown and having cuss words at my kids and cat calls at my wife. And it was usually night games where most everyone is drunk.
you basically described every NFL game I have ever been to....I'll take the hoopies over that any day..

I loved it there, it was great BEING so drunk!

Reactions: ChazzMo
you basically described every NFL game I have ever been to....I'll take the hoopies over that any day..

Ive been to many games, in many stadiums... I am sure well over 100, NFL and NCAA. I have never had what we experienced the 2 times in Morgantown. First time was bad, the second time we went with our WVU friends, and was just as bad. We all went to the Pitt-Clemson game, at night, in death valley, and Pitt won, and it was still not a bad word said our way.

Reactions: JokePa
Ive been to many games, in many stadiums... I am sure well over 100, NFL and NCAA. I have never had what we experienced the 2 times in Morgantown. First time was bad, the second time we went with our WVU friends, and was just as bad. We all went to the Pitt-Clemson game, at night, in death valley, and Pitt won, and it was still not a bad word said our way.

I'd love to see your list of all of them. There are 65 Power five schools and 32 NFL teams so how many ones have you been to that no longer exist?

I completely favor the return of the Backyard Brawl. Honestly, I think we need it. We have to give our schedule some juice and regrettably it’s not going to come from Penn State.

However, having said that, I too have seen and experienced things in Morgantown that I’ve never experienced anywhere else - not even Philadelphia for a Pens/Flyers game.

My favorite BYB story was from the most recent one I attended. It was the one we lost to West Virginia on the late touchdown in Morgantown. We had a really good record going in, like 9–1 or 10–2 - something like that.

The Pitt fan section was literally right next to the student section and we were divided by a chain-link fence, no kidding.

Anyway, they scored late to win the game and we were disappointed but that’s how it goes. Nobody was saying a word on their way out. I think they were too disappointed.

Anyway, directly in front of me was an older gentleman with his 20-something daughter and her boyfriend or husband. It could’ve been either.

We chatted casually with them throughout the game and they were very nice. Then, as the game ended, we made our way out of the stadium directly behind them.

When we got to the concourse, a West Virginia fan, and it was not a student, walked right up to this old guy and punched him right in the face, knocking this man in his 60s or 70s right to the ground.

It was completely unprovoked and I was standing 10 feet from him when it happened, so people can deny it until their face turns blue but I know what I saw with my own two eyes. Everyone was in complete shock.

Remember, this is the type of anger they had after they had won the game. Imagine how they would’ve reacted had they lost!

The fans that were in the concourse then began to high-five and basically taught the old guy. It was surreal! All he did was wear an old school Pitt jacket to a West Virginia game. That was literally his only crime.

What was more disturbing to me was there was a policeman or security guard standing right there and I went up to him and explained to him what had just happened right in front of him and he looked at me coldly and dismissively said, “I didn’t see shit, Pitt fan. Go home and drive safely.”

I will never forget that part of it as long as I live.

He saw the whole thing. He just decided it wasn’t worth his time to actually do his job. I’ve just never seen anything like that anywhere else.

As I said, I still favor the return of the game, but there would have to be some ground rules - like absolutely no night games in Morgantown. That would be nonnegotiable.

Last edited:
Not sure if you realize this or not but free will means you are not required to go there...

But yeah, that sounds like every night Stiller game I have attended. I no longer go, having free will and all..

ok, put aside the game atmosphere down there for a moment.. Just wondering, in real everyday life, who is the more obnoxious annoying individual.. Your average WVU fan or your average Penn State fan?

as far as the Clemson comparison..familiarity breeds contempt...always has, always will.

I loved it there, it was great BEING so drunk!
if you are going to go to wvu, got to be drunk and with a small group of friends to make it fun. You go sober, or go with a wife and small kids, you might as well drive them and you off a bridge before you get there, you'd be doing them a better service than taking them to that stadium with pitt gear on.

ok, put aside the game atmosphere down there for a moment.. Just wondering, in real everyday life, who is the more obnoxious annoying individual.. Your average WVU fan or your average Penn State fan?

as far as the Clemson comparison..familiarity breeds contempt...always has, always will.

staters by far. not even close. I feel like I'm babysitting at wvu games and want to send them to a corner. More like the village of the damned or invasion of the body snatchers with staters where I want to jump off the bridge ie near the top of least enjoyable things from beginning to end.

I could care less about Morgantown but at Heinz Field I would gladly shake any hooppie's hand for coming.

Basically, unless we make wvu an annual thanksgiving game, we may never sell out another thanksgiving game again.

I would move the game. Do it like Florida and GA and move it to Philadelphia or New York and help us get players up there in PSU territory. Home and Home is nice but doing it in the middle and at a neutral site wouldn't be a bad ideal.

Best WVU game at Pitt Stadium was the announcer game. What a f’n hoot. I have never laughed so hard every time the announcer would call out “the person drive the blue tractor needs to move their vehicle, it’s blocking the exit or would the driver of the hay wagon please return to their vehicle, the pigs are making too much noise.” The stadium went crazy all during that game until the pc police shut it down. I believe we won that game as well. Great memories.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Best WVU game at Pitt Stadium was the announcer game. What a f’n hoot. I have never laughed so hard every time the announcer would call out “the person drive the blue tractor needs to move their vehicle, it’s blocking the exit or would the driver of the hay wagon please return to their vehicle, the pigs are making too much noise.” The stadium went crazy all during that game until the pc police shut it down. I believe we won that game as well. Great memories.
"...the blue tractor, with the license plate 'E-I-E-I-O'..."

I just don't want to be standing behind a long line of hoopies to get my ribs at the Ribfest before or after the home opener! What a terrible way to ruin a good thing.
Someone just needs to setup a booth serving possum and pickled turkey gizzards and you won't have to worry about the hoopies being in any of the rib vendor lines.

I really enjoy having Miami to end the season every year. If we can put it together, it could be huge for us as PSU used to be and much better than WVU was and PSU could ever be again.

WVU is great for week 2.

I prefer end but beginning ok. But not in favor every year. Maybe 4 game blocks with breaks in between.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT