positives from the virus (heavy)

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by WCDOC, Mar 30, 2020.

1. WCDOC

WCDOC Redshirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Starting this only because I wrote a big long thing on the other thread, then realized I missed the "light".
    So, cut and paste:

1. If you read my other posts you know that I don't believe in man-made climate change, but I think people might realize the lots of "business" travel is just not needed anymore. We can save a lot of resources by eliminating this. I for one have been avoiding travel to far-off locales for meetings because I can accomplish the same thing online.

2. The death of the handshake.

3. Maybe, just maybe, the end of New York being the center of the universe. I don't mean because of the amount of sadness, and I pray for those folks; I mean that style of living is not healthy--but, if you can make it there...

4. Maybe some respect for our healthcare workers. No effective raise for the workers for decades.

5. The end of this obsession with opening our borders in the name of diversity. I'm all for allowing people to earn their way into our country, but Americans should be first--always.

Parkview57 and FireballZ like this.
  2. Zeldas Open Roof

Zeldas Open Roof Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

more focus on domestic production and stop relying on china/India for everything from pills to medical devices..

the death of retail and the growth of online consumerism was going strong, this will only expedite this.. not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing..

NCPitt, paschuler1970 and CCHS82 like this.
  3. HunkyPanther

HunkyPanther Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Whenever there is a crisis in this country...financial, war and now pandemic, society finds away to adapt and carry on with life. From this crisis, we will realize efficiencies. All sectors of the economy will learn to adapt. It is a given that some businesses will fail, some will be made stronger and of course new businesses and technology will appear.

4. recruitsreadtheseboards

recruitsreadtheseboards Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. I am in sales, so I travel. My role with this company is alot more regional than my last where it was more international.

But my colleagues and I have had alot of discussion on this over the past year, outside of the Covid19 virus. We have had new management. And probably a sales group of people between the ages of 27 and 63. So a wide range. The older guys, they are that old school, leave Monday AM, be back Friday then do reports Friday PM.

I scaled back, realizing I was in the car so much sometimes, i couldn't get things done. So I stopped alot of courtesy calls, or time fillers as much as I could. I felt it is more effective, even on the road if I can be in a hotel room by 3:00PM, I can better respond to customers and craft better answers than typing on an Iphone at some restaurant at lunch. That is if I am even available at lunch and not with a customer. Our new management supports more effective and efficient calls and work rather than just quantity of mostly meaningless sales calls.

So....I do think this is going to put more emphasis on Skype and Zoom meetings, less in person visits. That being said, you get much better information usually with a face to face meeting.

5. NTOP

NTOP Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We're becoming bytes, not people. I've given up Go To Meeting w/o cameras. Just conference calls with propaganda on the screen.

Zeldas Open Roof likes this.
  6. recruitsreadtheseboards

recruitsreadtheseboards Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yep. A/I will eventually replace most of us. What we will realize, is that the Terminator was not fiction.

7. NTOP

NTOP Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I thought Scott Barnes was the Terminator???

8. HailtoPitt

HailtoPitt Chancellor
    Expand Collapse

The masterbater.

9. paschuler1970

paschuler1970 Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm not diminishing the role of other jobs but this is why we need to get manufacturing back here. Not just for jobs but some guys and gals have a real talent in a manufacturing setting.

Zeldas Open Roof likes this.
  10. HailToPitt1985

HailToPitt1985 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

All good points.

1) I'd love to not travel as much as I was before, just because it is exhausting and not much fun. But my position within the company I work for requires that I be on site at our plants on multiple shifts and always in person. I wouldn't be able to do my job unless I was there in person. So I end up flying all over the country 3 or 4 times a week. Now I'm totally grounded and looking at possibly being mandated to take my vacation days before this is all over. That sucks. But I'll have to do it in the better interests of my employer.

2) I know I won't be shaking hands with anyone in the next few years. Not even church. Especially church!

3) I'll be avoiding NYC as much as possible in the future. Not worth the hassle or threat to my health. It's not safe in so many ways.

4) The healthcare workers deserve all the respect and accolades they can possibly get.

5) If you want to enter our country and have all of the rights and privileges that a citizen has, like voting and health benefits, you must earn it, take the necessary steps to become a citizen, and take all of the time and tests to become a citizen. Only if you become a citizen should you have those rights and privileges. This is about America and Americans first. Nothing else.

10 HailToPitt1985, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    ONGB and NTOP like this.
  11. pittbb80

pittbb80 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Good thread.

On the sales front it’s been changing already. However as recruits said you just can’t get as much info or establish the relationship needed to get more info unless you get to know People face to face. While there is always pressure to reduce expenses I still think effective sales requires travel

I don’t think the handshake will disappear

for sure this is a huge blow to globalism and exporting manufacturing which is a good thing. It also confirms the Need for sound immigration policy and enforcement

what is not known is how Civil liberties will be impacted

12. NCPitt

NCPitt Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yet to be seen, but I hope people start to live simpler lives with less reliance on debt.

13. WCDOC

WCDOC Redshirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

14. NCPitt

NCPitt Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse