ADVERTISEMENT

Post Mortem

cruzer

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
I believe that post mortem is the appropriate term, because this team is dead. Spare me the "it's only the first conference game" nonsense. If you can't see just how bad we are then you simply know nothing about football. This teams does NOTHING well. On offense, we can't run block, our pass protection is terrible, our receivers aren't open, our QB's are indecisive, and our RB's are pedestrian. Defensively, we're a horror show. D-line gets virtually no push, and our pass rush is non-existent. LB's are constantly getting knocked off the ball and making plays 8-10 yards downfield. When they are in coverage it's a joke. Our DB's are still blowing coverages left and right after 2 years of learning this system. Our FG kicker is an inconsistent mess. I'll give a slight nod to special teams....they haven't been awful and obviously Henderson is still dangerous...Oh, I guess I should mention that our punting is pretty damned good (of course we do have ample opportunity to practice punting). The worst part is there is no hint of improvement, particularly on the offense. To say that our play calling is unimaginative is a huge understatement. We have absolutely no vertical threat to stretch the field and we continue to run jet sweeps and check off passes which have zero chance of going anywhere. And if I see one more throw to a check down receiver for 4 yards when we need 10 I'm going to vomit. I've heard some comments that our defense played well enough to win yesterday. In what parallel universe is giving up 430 yards on the ground along with 10+ minutes in TOP and 35 points good enough to win? That's a recipe for an ass kickin. Last week, Narduzzi's defense was absolutely tortured by an OSU team that was owned by unranked TCU. After the game, we had posters telling us that OSU was the second coming of the greatest show on turf. No, our defense is simply that bad.

Our coaching has been terrible. Zero adjustments. Just keep doing the same old things and watching them fail. Good coaches are supposed to find ways to make their team play at a higher level then their talent might indicate. Our team is playing well below their limited talent level. As an added bonus our recruiting is extremely average.

This team and this program is in trouble, which should surprise no one who has been watching Pitt for more then 30 years. After 35 years, I'm turning this shit off. I can't watch any more. I still hope that Narduzzi finds a way to turn the season and the program around, but I have seen nothing to make me think this is realistic.

I guess I'll play golf next Saturday or wash the car. Either will be more satisfying then watching Pitt struggle to beat a horrible Rice team.

Cruzer

I believe that post mortem is the appropriate term, because this team is dead. Spare me the "it's only the first conference game" nonsense. If you can't see just how bad we are then you simply know nothing about football. This teams does NOTHING well. On offense, we can't run block, our pass protection is terrible, our receivers aren't open, our QB's are indecisive, and our RB's are pedestrian. Defensively, we're a horror show. D-line gets virtually no push, and our pass rush is non-existent. LB's are constantly getting knocked off the ball and making plays 8-10 yards downfield. When they are in coverage it's a joke. Our DB's are still blowing coverages left and right after 2 years of learning this system. Our FG kicker is an inconsistent mess. I'll give a slight nod to special teams....they haven't been awful and obviously Henderson is still dangerous...Oh, I guess I should mention that our punting is pretty damned good (of course we do have ample opportunity to practice punting). The worst part is there is no hint of improvement, particularly on the offense. To say that our play calling is unimaginative is a huge understatement. We have absolutely no vertical threat to stretch the field and we continue to run jet sweeps and check off passes which have zero chance of going anywhere. And if I see one more throw to a check down receiver for 4 yards when we need 10 I'm going to vomit. I've heard some comments that our defense played well enough to win yesterday. In what parallel universe is giving up 430 yards on the ground along with 10+ minutes in TOP and 35 points good enough to win? That's a recipe for an ass kickin. Last week, Narduzzi's defense was absolutely tortured by an OSU team that was owned by unranked TCU. After the game, we had posters telling us that OSU was the second coming of the greatest show on turf. No, our defense is simply that bad.

Our coaching has been terrible. Zero adjustments. Just keep doing the same old things and watching them fail. Good coaches are supposed to find ways to make their team play at a higher level then their talent might indicate. Our team is playing well below their limited talent level. As an added bonus our recruiting is extremely average.

This team and this program is in trouble, which should surprise no one who has been watching Pitt for more then 30 years. After 35 years, I'm turning this shit off. I can't watch any more. I still hope that Narduzzi finds a way to turn the season and the program around, but I have seen nothing to make me think this is realistic.

I guess I'll play golf next Saturday or wash the car. Either will be more satisfying then watching Pitt struggle to beat a horrible Rice team.

Cruzer
Share you frustration. TCU was ranked 16 I thought.

Cruzer
Turn in your Pitt fan card

Reactions: Saboteur
My common sense meter is maxing out! Something isn't right with PITT football not sure what but its something!

We lost some players from last year but all indications were that recruiting since HCPN arrived three years ago is on the rise and we have plenty of depth in lots of positions to offset most of the player loss ( not all small drop-off.)

We lost the O coordinator but HCPN hired a replacement. It was HCPN choice so we would assume he hired a good one!

Same D coordinator as last year but its seems like our D isn't in the game most of the time!

We should be close to last year right?

Why are we as far off the mark as we are? We don't look even close!

Our win was a bad performance but we won ( that's good) and our losses are really bad losses. PlTT players look outclassed in most positions which never was the case. In the past we had a few glaring holes like CB but most positions were competitive and appropriately manned!
Mrs Buffett who is very tuned in to sports said " there doesn't seem to be the excitement/enthusiasm on the sideline, in the huddle, or on the field this year."

No on the field leaders or on the field "cheerleaders" like last year.

But that's the responsibility of the staff to generate team excitement and readiness!

Something is wrong with this team!

174594-Common-Sense.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Saboteur
"Shawn has led Nebraska Athletics in many positive ways, but those efforts have not translated into on-field performance," chancellor Ronnie Green said in a statement. "Our fans and our student-athletes deserve leadership that drives the highest levels of competitiveness, as well as excellence across all facets of Husker Athletics."

Cruzer[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with your thoughts. Our line(s) not only doesn't get a push, it often can't even get a stalement.

I am not willing to give Narduzzi or Pitt another 2 years. He should have a respectible D after 3 Springs and 2 1/3 full seasons. He should be fielding well coached and competitive teams, even if they lose to ranked teams. For me, USC is a viable ... and much better option ... than Pitt. Pitt followed up on their phone call to me 2 weeks ago with a letter. I mailed it back yesterday with a note, " I'm not giving any more money to Pitt until they fix their football program."

I can't speak for anyone else, but the problem I have had with Pitt for over forty years is irrational optimism. Ken Burn's new series on the Vietnam War just came out. In one episode an amazing comment was made by one of McNamara's aides. He basically said that our view was that the N Vietnamese would act rationally, and when we stepped up our bombing campaign they would negotiate. He went on to say that what Johnson and McNamara never realized was the N Vietnamese had a different view of rationality. They were intent on reunifying Vietnam. Several of the NVA officers Burns interviewed confirmed this. One say the more we bombed the North, the more they realized that had to intensify their efforts on the front lines as the only way to get America to stop!

In Pitt's case, I kept giving and buying season tickets I never used, believing that somehow I was making a difference toward the long term success of the program. My errant rationality convinced me that Pitt someday would "see the light" and recogize the importance that restoring Pitt's once proud football legacy would bring to the "Pitt" brand, and the intangible bragging rights it would give all of us as pride was restored to the school. After watching Burn's film It dawned on me that the real problem lying underneath the surface of all our triubles with Pitt football, is that the rationality of Pitt's leaders has always been different than ours ... and obviously still is.

They don't really care about football, all they seem to care about is research ... and propagating themselves and their departments ... They realize they have a good thing going with their "cushy" jobs and outlandish benefits packages. All they want to do with football is make it look like they care so that alums will contribute and more seats will be sold at Heinz.

I was "Blinded by the Light" ... but no longer. The only way to get them to change is to intensify our efforts against them. Stop giving "fools" more money to continue with their foolish ways, and tired arguments and excuses.

The only winning strategy for playing the cards they dealt us is not to play their game!

What car wash do you go to? It would be a better use of money to drive to Pittsburgh and join you rather than continuing to support Pitt Administrators' bad behavior. They are supposed to be protecting our school's image and heritage. Instead, they consciously set a course for football's abandonment and destruction.

USC, and most other P-5 programs, don't make these kinds of irrational decisions and mistakes. Certainly not for 33 years!

Dog, are you for real? "They don't really care about football, All they seem to care about is research....and propagating themselves and their departments." Are you exposing some covert incestuous conspiracy within the Administration and department heads? And of course, who would ever consider research to be more important than football? Too many I's, me's, and my's in your posts
Consider yourself forgiven.. Ego Te absolvo! Go, and watch Pitt football no more!
btw, what unit did you serve with in the Nam?

Pitt fan - I'm not going to the game. Their team stinks. All they land are 2 and 3 star recruits.

Pitt recruit - Looks around and sees 35k empty seats. Goes to Ohio State the following week and is greeted by 105k.

Rinse and Repeat.

ADVERTISEMENT