ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Pitt Addison thoughts

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
Addison is working out with Bryce Young from Alabama today. He previously did the same with Caleb Williams. It's almost like Addison is trying out his QBs. I don't blame for wanting to play with a top QB, what WR wouldn't, but I wonder what NFL evaluators will think of this - that Addison only wants to play with certain QBs. How will he react if he goes to a team with a mediocre QB and/or the starter gets hurt and his working with someone like Mason Rudolph for a few games. Does he have a 'crutch' of needing a top QB.

Also, many Pitt fans have been saying anywhere but USC. However, if Addison ends up at Alabama with Gibbs at RB that will also be quite a commentary on the current state of things. Alabamas offense led by two star players from the ACC last year. Truly the ACC would be the minor leagues for the SEC.

people on here said that pitt matched the offer. if that has any semblance of truth, it's time we start to accept that there are other reasons why he is leaving.. maybe its our qbs, OC or system, who knows and frankly, who cares.

well we all care but we cant do anything about it so it's time to start realizing he wants no part of this pitt team going forward and we need to support the ones that do want to be a part of it.

Addison is working out with Bryce Young from Alabama today. He previously did the same with Caleb Williams. It's almost like Addison is trying out his QBs. I don't blame for wanting to play with a top QB, what WR wouldn't, but I wonder what NFL evaluators will think of this - that Addison only wants to play with certain QBs. How will he react if he goes to a team with a mediocre QB and/or the starter gets hurt and his working with someone like Mason Rudolph for a few games. Does he have a 'crutch' of needing a top QB.

Also, many Pitt fans have been saying anywhere but USC. However, if Addison ends up at Alabama with Gibbs at RB that will also be quite a commentary on the current state of things. Alabamas offense led by two star players from the ACC last year. Truly the ACC would be the minor leagues for the SEC.
Young lives in CA as, presumably does Williams now that he’s at USC. I wouldn’t read to much into it. Very common for players from different schools to work out together in off season.

As to why he might have wanted to leave regardless of matching… the more I think of it, I think he realizes he would have been doubled nearly every play here, and maybe Wayne or Mumpfield would become more prolific as a result, and doltish NFL scouts might have soured on him as a result (doubtful but maybe). A good teammate would not be concerned with that, but these are not Good Times. More like the Jeffersons.

people on here said that pitt matched the offer. if that has any semblance of truth, it's time we start to accept that there are other reasons why he is leaving.. maybe its our qbs, OC or system, who knows and frankly, who cares.

well we all care but we cant do anything about it so it's time to start realizing he wants no part of this pitt team going forward and we need to support the ones that do want to be a part of it.
I am the one who said that he is likely unhappy with the combination of Slovis, Cignetti, and Underwood

I am the one who said that he is likely unhappy with the combination of Slovis, Cignetti, and Underwood
well who knows but if he liked pitt and it was only about the money and we matched the money and he still is leaving, well that debunks that.

We matched supposedly and he's still leaving. Therefore its not about money and more likely due to Slovis/Cignetti/Underwood than not liking Oakland or the local restaurant scene.

What exactly did Pitt match?

Guys doing what JA is apparently doing aren't looking for a match. He's looking for counter offers and attempting to drive the price up as high as possible until their is a clear cut highest bidder.

Reactions: JS School
I remember it being very cringeworthy when Cignetti came in saying how much he wants to run the ball, be a run first offense etc. I like the idea of being more balanced for sure but I wish they would have played it down to the media a bit more. If I had to guess that’s prob the biggest thing. Addison prob started to run the numbers in his head and had to make a calculated decision. I don’t think it’s the QBs.

Reactions: plcp
I remember it being very cringeworthy when Cignetti came in saying how much he wants to run the ball, be a run first offense etc. I like the idea of being more balanced for sure but I wish they would have played it down to the media a bit more. If I had to guess that’s prob the biggest thing. Addison prob started to run the numbers in his head and had to make a calculated decision. I don’t think it’s the QBs.
Would it be better if he said they would throw the ball to Addison 70 times a game and never run, and to not even punt?
I went back and watched some 2009 Pitt games. Pitt ran and Pitt slung it down field. Balance helps the offense be successful and win the game.
If a player's primary goal isn't to win, then he will hurt the team.

As to why he might have wanted to leave regardless of matching… the more I think of it, I think he realizes he would have been doubled nearly every play here, and maybe Wayne or Mumpfield would become more prolific as a result, and doltish NFL scouts might have soured on him as a result (doubtful but maybe). A good teammate would not be concerned with that, but these are not Good Times. More like the Jeffersons.

If he's double-teamed and he's a good receiver, he'd find a way to get open. So either he's not a good receiver and doesn't know how to break a double team or he's lying about being double-teamed and it wouldn't be happening.

Let’s pound the ball with abanikanda, Hammond and co., play good defense and win ball games. It’s disappointing, but I’m over diva WRs.

Reactions: USN_Panther
The Pitt coaches probably emphasized a more balanced offense with more of a running game in spring ball. And we all know that’s going to be a good thing. Obviously, Addison preferred the Whipple pass-first attack.

What exactly did Pitt match?

Guys doing what JA is apparently doing aren't looking for a match. He's looking for counter offers and attempting to drive the price up as high as possible until their is a clear cut highest bidder.

We don’t really know that, because Addison is almost the first of his kind to do it.

Maybe he didn’t click with Slovis this spring, or didn’t like what he saw of his new QB, and thought he’d better find a better QB. As long as we’re rampantly speculating.

The Pitt coaches probably emphasized a more balanced offense with more of a running game in spring ball. And we all know that’s going to be a good thing. Obviously, Addison preferred the Whipple pass-first attack.

Bottom line: Addison would have a great year and put up big numbers at Pitt next year too.

What he really prefers is a big payday.

Our opponents liked it better when we ran the ball a lot and scored 21 ppg.

Reactions: Ski11585
And if this is the case - then that's why we are losing our best offensive weapon. That's not the kind of offense elite players want to play in nor will be attractive to moving forward.

This is going to hurt the offense a bit more than most think. Fortunately, it appears Oit has enough capable WRs to help fill the void. Still, this absolutely sucks. I hate how the NIL works as it is. It’s completely screwing up college sports.

Let’s remember these are kids who understood they were going to be paid in the form of an education to come to a school and play- an education that is worth between $100 - 300k. I don’t understand why the D1 schools student athletes commit aren’t just allowed to give all players a simple stipend and then give a little more those individuals who earn all-conference or all-American accolades. It would be a lot less disruptive to college sports and would still allow players who help sell merchandise and sell tickets get a little extra. These are non- professional students- they ought to not be focusing all their energy on how much money they can get. It’s just a huge disservice to the coaches and the fans and it will prove to be disastrous for some of these student athletes who will lose focus on the true value of their education… and if/when something goes wrong, it could destroy the future lives of these kids.

I don’t know why it was thought to be such a smart idea to allow a situation where we “let kids get as much as they can form the highest bidder.” It just reeks of corruption. There has to be a more reasonable approach? Something sets it up so the university - where a student athlete commits- is obligated to give that kid a set amount more according to how valuable the player is to that university and the fans (how much merchandise they sell/ accolades they get, etc.) The way it is now is very likely going to create more harm than good. Ultimately, I think we will see more and more regulation that fixes some of this Wild West approach after enough really bad stuff starts to happen.

Last edited:
This is going to hurt the offense a bit more than lost think. Fortunately, it appears we have enough solid WRs to help fill the void. Still, this absolutely sucks. I hate how the NIL stuff worlds now. It’s completely screwing up college sports.

The kids are getting a free education. Let’s remember these are kids who understood they were going to be paid in the form of an education to come to a school and play- an education that is worth between $100 and 300k. If they wanted to work something in where schools they commit to will give them more for things like making all conference or all American teams, then that might be okay - but to have non- professional kids focusing all their energy on how much money they can get does a huge disservice to the coaches and the fans but also potentially to so many of these student athletes who will lose focus on the value of their education and then if/when something goes wrong - it could destroy these kids lives.

I don’t know why it was thought to be a great idea to allow this to become a “let kids get as much as they can form the highest bidder.” It just reeks of corruption. Why can’t there be a more reasonable approach? Maybe something where the university where a student athlete commits is obligated to give that kid a set amount more according to how valuable the price to be (how much merchandise they sell/ accolades they get, etc.) The way it is now is very likely going to create more harm than good.

College athletics have had an eternity to find a reasonable approach. That has led to Head Coaches making $5+ million a year - multi-year million dollar contracts to assistant coaches. Millions spent in buyout/failure money. ADs cashing huge checks soliciting donations from corporations and millionaires and schools grabbing oodles of TV money.

This mess is totally on the schools, not the players.

Reactions: cashisking884
College athletics have had an eternity to find a reasonable approach. That has led to Head Coaches making $5+ million a year - multi-year million dollar contracts to assistant coaches. Millions spent in buyout/failure money. ADs cashing huge checks soliciting donations from corporations and millionaires and schools grabbing oodles of TV money.

This mess is totally on the schools, not the players.
Paying coaches exhorbinant amounts of money and paying out all these buyouts seems rather unreasonable too, Is it really the best idea for players to be sent down the same slippery slope that the current coaching situation has begun to head down? It’s kind of like we are all saying, “Instead of correcting course with the ship to point it in the right direction, let’s just set it even farther off course.”

I am not against D1 players all getting some extra money and players proving to be special getting a little more, but let’s also not forget these are non- professional athletes we are talking about who are already getting a $200k-300k education for free. That’s equivalent to $45k to $75k a year (when you include tuition, housing, meals, books) Not too shabby.

If every player received an additional $1-2k stipend per month, it would seem pretty fair, right? Like I suggested in my last post, the athletes who then shine the most in games could get paid a bit extra from the university.

The coaches are professionals and understandably are more important than the players. Still, I have no issues with having something in place for all D1 schools that pays a little extra to those talented who help fill the seats. Maybe give players a portion of the sale of their jerseys and a fee if they are used in school ads to promote the team /sell tickets and even pay them extra money if they are selected as part of an all-conference team or all- American team. This would allow teams to stay intact and allow players to get a little extra based on what extra value they contribute to the university.

The idea of finding a simpler reasonable way to try to be be fair to these non professional athletes as opposed to allowing an “almost anything goes” scenario where we are starting to see shady characters get involved and players moving back and forth between schools which messes up rosters and turns fans off and and possible even sets certain players up for what will be a crash and burn situation in their lives… well that can’t be a bad thing.

Last edited:
Something sets it up so the university - where a student athlete commits- is obligated to give that kid a set amount more according to how valuable the player is to that university and the fans (how much merchandise they sell/ accolades they get, etc.)

That would require limiting the NIL outside of the university set up. Otherwise it’s not a solution to the alleged problem.

But the Supreme Court just said no to that 9-0.

As others here have said, this is the new reality. Hard to blame Addison for taking the money.
That being said, I'm old enough to have been raised when loyalty meant something. I wasn't happy
when Pickett sat out the bowl game, and I'm not happy with Addison. BUT IT'S THE SYSTEM THAT'S
BROKEN. When the huge amounts of money come into play, it becomes a BUSINESS DECISION.
Only hope that exists is somehow restoring having to sit out a year for transfers.

I am not against D1 players all getting some extra money and players proving to be special getting a little more, but let’s also not forget these are non- professional athletes we are talking about who are already getting a $200k-300k education for free. That’s equivalent to $45k to $75k a year (when you include tuition, housing, meals, books) Not too shabby.
I was never one to embrace the "free education" narrative because I see "student athletes" progressing through a four year accredited curriculum that can't read at a 10th grade level - so clearly it's not about education but eligibility. And we all know - that there are "student athletes" who have no busy being in a university or college and would never be considered let alone accepted to said university or college.

Lastly, Wichita State's AD tried to use the free education approach in lieu of a trying to secure NIL dollars - and it got his arse canned!!

Last edited:
This is going to hurt the offense a bit more than most think. Fortunately, it appears Oit has enough capable WRs to help fill the void. Still, this absolutely sucks. I hate how the NIL works as it is. It’s completely screwing up college sports.

Let’s remember these are kids who understood they were going to be paid in the form of an education to come to a school and play- an education that is worth between $100 - 300k. I don’t understand why the D1 schools student athletes commit aren’t just allowed to give all players a simple stipend and then give a little more those individuals who earn all-conference or all-American accolades. It would be a lot less disruptive to college sports and would still allow players who help sell merchandise and sell tickets get a little extra. These are non- professional students- they ought to not be focusing all their energy on how much money they can get. It’s just a huge disservice to the coaches and the fans and it will prove to be disastrous for some of these student athletes who will lose focus on the true value of their education… and if/when something goes wrong, it could destroy the future lives of these kids.

I don’t know why it was thought to be such a smart idea to allow a situation where we “let kids get as much as they can form the highest bidder.” It just reeks of corruption. There has to be a more reasonable approach? Something sets it up so the university - where a student athlete commits- is obligated to give that kid a set amount more according to how valuable the player is to that university and the fans (how much merchandise they sell/ accolades they get, etc.) The way it is now is very likely going to create more harm than good. Ultimately, I think we will see more and more regulation that fixes some of this Wild West approach after enough really bad stuff starts to happen.

These kids are now professionals and they're as far from student-athletes as you can get. They've completely lost their focus of why they're going to college to begin with....to get a degree and an education. That's their #1 priority, or it used to be until the portal and NIL ruined and destroyed it. Over 95% of them will NEVER play professional ball of any kind.

ADVERTISEMENT