ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction:Rutgers will surpass our program next year

Are those two things supposed to be mutually exclusive? Are people only allowed to laugh at one college football team at a time?

IF, not when, IF Greg Schiano gets Rutgers to overachieve then come back and talk. As I pointed out before, by far the best part of his previous tenure at Rutgers was the way that he was able to schedule some mediocre teams to good records that people who didn't pay attention didn't realize were a house of cards.

And no doubt, he is going to attempt the same thing this time around. He is going to pack the non-conference schedule with teams like he did the last time, teams like Texas State and Delaware and Florida International. But now instead of five of those games he's only going to get three of them. And he's going to get Maryland every year, so a good chance for a fourth. And then he's going to hope for a couple seasons (like this year, for example) when someone like Michigan State is really down and/or their crossover games end up being something like Purdue and Illinois and they'll schedule their way into six or seven wins and everyone will say "look, the great and powerful Oz has done it again!"

Meanwhile, don't look behind that curtain. You might not like what you see.
How is that any different from other Big 10 teams scheduling creampuffs out of conference? I bet he overachieves before Narduzzi does. Im sure on that bet has I was when I bet a co-worker in 2008 that Jaime Dixon will NEVER take Pitt to a final four. I won a free dinner at Ruth Chris......im willing to make a similar wager.

How is that any different from other Big 10 teams scheduling creampuffs out of conference? I bet he overachieves before Narduzzi does. Im sure on that bet has I was when I bet a co-worker in 2008 that Jaime Dixon will NEVER take Pitt to a final four. I won a free dinner at Ruth Chris......im willing to make a similar wager.

Well if you think that his career is marked by overacheivement then there is no way I would make that bet, because you seem to not understand what that word means.

Well if you think that his career is marked by overacheivement then there is no way I would make that bet, because you seem to not understand what that word means.
If your team is expected to go 1-11 or 2-10 every year, id think winning 4 to 5 games is overachieving. I think Schiano can do that

If your team is expected to go 1-11 or 2-10 every year, id think winning 4 to 5 games is overachieving. I think Schiano can do that

But that's the thing. When he was there before he scheduled so that no one with any knowledge of what was going on thought they were only going to win 1 or 2 games. As I have pointed out previously, they scheduled five non-conference games against teams that didn't even have a pulse. The 100th best football team in the country would have gone 5-0 in many of those years against those schedules.

And no one is going to expect that going forward either. Because as soon as Schiano can manage it he is going to schedule his three non-conference games each year against awful teams and guarantee himself at least three wins. And they are going to get to play Maryland every year. And some years they are going to get to play Illinois and/or Purdue. And maybe Indiana's coach goes elsewhere and they sink back down to being one of the worst P5 teams every year. Once he gets the non-conference schedule the way he wants it (and who knows, it may already be that way) he is going to have guaranteed himself four or five wins at a minimum most years just by beating a couple typically bad Big Ten teams.

But that's the thing. When he was there before he scheduled so that no one with any knowledge of what was going on thought they were only going to win 1 or 2 games. As I have pointed out previously, they scheduled five non-conference games against teams that didn't even have a pulse. The 100th best football team in the country would have gone 5-0 in many of those years against those schedules.

And no one is going to expect that going forward either. Because as soon as Schiano can manage it he is going to schedule his three non-conference games each year against awful teams and guarantee himself at least three wins. And they are going to get to play Maryland every year. And some years they are going to get to play Illinois and/or Purdue. And maybe Indiana's coach goes elsewhere and they sink back down to being one of the worst P5 teams every year. Once he gets the non-conference schedule the way he wants it (and who knows, it may already be that way) he is going to have guaranteed himself four or five wins at a minimum most years just by beating a couple typically bad Big Ten teams.
How is the ooc schedule any worse than Penn State's?

Any coach who only can only win 4 or 5 games is getting fired within 5 years. The b1g only had 4 teams with winning records and RU still went 3-6.

I mean Penn State has home and homes coming up with Auburn and the Hoopies, and they had one with Virginia Tech until recently (I don't know what the status of that is at this point). Rutgers does have a series coming up with Virginia Tech also, and they do play Syracuse (one more game next year to finish a contract) and BC going forward, but those games were all scheduled long before Schiano got to town. Let's see how many of them they actually play, and who they get to fill out the openings that they have.

ADVERTISEMENT