ADVERTISEMENT

Premier League about to get even more challenging

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
The Saudi takeover of New Castle United has begun. New Castle is a big club that has been a sleeping giant due to poor ownership. I’m guessing the new ownership will spend a few pounds.

Antonio Conte and Frank Lampard are rumored to be in consideration for their Managerial post.

If they get relegated before this happens, theyll still have FFP to deal with so coming back up might not be a guarantee

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Newcastle is the ultimate sleeping giant. The last time they won the top division was 1927. The last time they won any trophy at all was 1955.

That's more like a coma than a sleep.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Newcastle is the ultimate sleeping giant. The last time they won the top division was 1927. The last time they won any trophy at all was 1955.

That's more like a coma than a sleep.
It’s a big club in a big region of England. And There is strong leadership in place. Now with ownership with the financial power that is more than every Champions League club combined, the sky is the limit. In my opinion, they’re gonna have to slowly build before they compete for titles. Man City couldn’t get players immediately to their side of Manchester and top players aren’t going to jump over each other trying to get to Northeast England. But give it a few years.

It’s a big club in a big region of England. And There is strong leadership in place. Now with ownership with the financial power that is more than every Champions League club combined, the sky is the limit. In my opinion, they’re gonna have to slowly build before they compete for titles. Man City couldn’t get players immediately to their side of Manchester and top players aren’t going to jump over each other trying to get to Northeast England. But give it a few years.

I don't disagree, but everything that you say would be equally true if Saudi Arabia bought, oh, I don't know, Watford and then threw hundreds of millions of dollars a year at payroll.

I don't disagree, but everything that you say would be equally true if Saudi Arabia bought, oh, I don't know, Watford and then threw hundreds of millions of dollars a year at payroll.
Except watford is a small borough outside London, while New Castle is one of the largest urban centers in the UK. Throw in a large stadium and large fan base, along with people in charge used to negotiating 7 billion pound acquisitions in the private sector now running a 300 pound club (before the takeover)….that’s enough of a difference I’d say.

Except watford is a small borough outside London, while New Castle is one of the largest urban centers in the UK. Throw in a large stadium and large fan base, along with people in charge used to negotiating 7 billion pound acquisitions in the private sector now running a 300 pound club (before the takeover)….that’s enough of a difference I’d say.

So you think that the Saudis could afford a higher payroll at Newcastle than they could at Watford? Really?

I mean if Financial Fair Play was a real thing then I could understand that. But at this point that's pretty much been exposed as a joke that can easily be manipulated around (see Barca being $1.5 billion in debt and yet never having violated the FFP rules). There is nothing that would stop the Saudis from having the exact same payroll at Watford as at Newcastle other than their own willingness to spend the money.

And since this move is all about sportswashing the Saudi reputation, I rather doubt that a little bit of money would stop them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT