ADVERTISEMENT

Previewing Cleveland State dual and recapping Clarion Open

Loved the preview. Any word If you can watch this online anywhere I didn’t see anything

Absolutely, obviously we’ll know more as the competition increases but this team looks like one of the most solid lineups in a long time. HWT concerns me alittle but if for some of the bigger duals they put in Pitzer we might have a solid chance for ACC

Absolutely, obviously we’ll know more as the competition increases but this team looks like one of the most solid lineups in a long time. HWT concerns me alittle but if for some of the bigger duals they put in Pitzer we might have a solid chance for ACC

Would love to see Pitzer against UNC; Slinger is 0-3 against Whitman, who is not great. Catka and NC State are tougher matchups, and do we really want them getting an early look at DP?

Is Brock too big for 149 now? I know someone mentioned last year that could be a possibility.

Me trying to explain the Briar Priest-Dylan Chappell rivalry to my wife during the Clarion Open

charlie-day.jpg

In case you guys missed it, there was a live stream of the dual and you can watch it on YouTube here:
The link wasn't posted until 10 minutes before it started, so I doubt many folks got to see it live.
At any rate, a solid start for the Panthers. Things will get a lot more difficult next week.

No. 18 Pitt 36, Cleveland State 0
125 | Colton Camacho (Pitt) maj. dec. Pino Dipierro (CSU), 10-1 (Pitt leads, 4-0)
133 | #8 Micky Phillippi (Pitt) maj. dec. Jake Manley (CSU), 17-7 (Pitt leads, 8-0)
141 | #1 Cole Matthews (Pitt) dec. Hunter Olson (CSU), 9-3 (Pitt leads, 11-0)
149 | Tyler Badgett (Pitt) maj. dec. Douglas Terry (CSU), 11-2 (Pitt leads, 15-0)
157 | #11 Dazjon Casto (Pitt) maj. dec. Ryan Granger (CSU), 15-3 (Pitt leads, 19-0)
165 | #15 Holden Heller (Pitt) maj. dec. Daniel Patten (CSU), 15-7 (Pitt leads, 23-0)
174 | Luca Augustine (Pitt) maj. dec. Tate Geiser (CSU), 18-6 (Pitt leads, 27-0)
184 | #24 Reece Heller (Pitt) dec. #33 DeAndre Nassar (CSU), 3-2 (Pitt leads, 30-0)
197 | #9 Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt) dec. Anthony Perrine (CSU), 9-2 (Pitt leads, 33-0)
HWT | Jake Slinger (Pitt) dec. Daniel Bucknavich (CSU), 3-1 (Pitt wins, 36-0)

Reactions: HOF Coach
I just got a chance to watch the dual. Some thoughts:
  • Props to Jake Slinger for his win over Daniel Bucknavich, which is probably the second-best of his career. Bucknavich is an honorable mention selection in Flo's rankings while WrestleStat has him at 44. Slinger's only previous top-50 win came over Virginia's Quinn Miller, who majored Slinger six weeks later. In this one, Slinger scored a third-period takedown and rode out Bucknavich for the final 30 seconds or so. He probably should have had a first-period takedown as well.
  • Holden Heller should include with a "don't try this at home" warning. He's about as unorthodox as they come and you wouldn't want to try to teach young wrestlers some of his techniques, but man, he could be fun to watch.
  • Reece Heller had a nice ranked win at 184 thanks to a great scramble - although it could have easily been 2 and 2.
  • Cheez Casto looked good in his PItt debut with a 15-3 victory but could have - and probably should have - given up a defensive fall if the official had been in position to see it.
  • I didn't keep track, but I believe Pitt only gave up two takedowns (Badgett, HH) while scoring 20+, maybe even 30+
  • Mat wrestling was solid across the board. No falls, and only a couple of nearfalls, but there were several riding time points and no one struggled to get off the bottom
  • Final verdict: It's hard to say what this dual means since it was against what might be the worst team in Division I, but the Panthers did exactly what they should have done against a weaker opponent. We'll have a much better idea of how good this team is by 10 p.m. next Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT