ADVERTISEMENT

Price of success / Fan support

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
Theirs two teams in the city of Pgh that play to win . The Penguins continually add the necessary pieces to its amazing core of players to win championships . The Steelers excellence over the long haul has been amazing also , this yr realizing Bens yrs are numbered they're going all in . They both play to win and both teams are rewarded handsomely with fanatical fan support .
Note to Pitts administrators ..there's a lesson here ...I don't think even the most loyal and dedicated Panther fan feels your heart is into it . Those blaming the apathy towards your FB and Bb teams on your fans are wrong . You need to care more than the fans and put a product on the field /court that can compete nationally and the fans will come if you don't screw it up .

Last edited:
Theirs two teams in the city of Pgh that play to win . The Penguins continually add the necessary pieces to its amazing core of players to win championships . The Steelers excellence over the long haul has been amazing also , this yr realizing Bens yrs are numbered they're going all in . They both play to win and both teams are rewarded handsomely with fanatical fan support .
Note to Pitts administrators ..there's a lesson here ...I don't think even the most loyal and dedicated Panther fan feels your heart is into it . Those blaming the apathy towards your FB and Bb teams on your fans is wrong . You need to care more than the fans and put a product on the field /court that can compete nationally and the fans will come if you don't screw it up .

Sounds nice, but what exactly does this mean? Please give some concrete examples of what the Pitt administration should be doing to establish that they care and want to win [that they are not presently doing]. Hail to Pitt!

Sounds nice, but what exactly does this mean? Please give some concrete examples of what the Pitt administration should be doing to establish that they care and want to win [that they are not presently doing]. Hail to Pitt!
Keep up with the Jones are facilities are from the 60's bottom 3rd of the ACC. Recruiting budgets need to keep pace. Needs to pay the going rate to keep the coaches and staff . They are working on that. Revenues spent on the program what next to last in the ACC. Where do you want to stop

Reactions: sherepower
You don't push out the most successful BB coach in modern history to save cash . Why not sit down with him and say what is going to take to successfully recruit the players your whiffing on . In FB Pitt can't go after established HC . Wisconsin allowed PC to train on the job at Pitt and once properly trained took him back and forced Pitt to hire another inexperienced HC . If PN turns this program around will he stay at Pitt ? I doubt seriously the new AD was the best candidate in the country , she was affordable as was KS as was PC as was PN and Haywood . Pitt allowed their hottest property to walk going to LSU without even a chance in hell that he'd listen to your counteroffer . Pitts administrators have turned Pitt into an afterthought in both Fb and Bb with little hope of hiring top coaches and attracting top athletes . There is no commitment to win and the fans , top coaches players know this !

Keep up with the Jones are facilities are from the 60's bottom 3rd of the ACC. Recruiting budgets need to keep pace. Needs to pay the going rate to keep the coaches and staff . They are working on that. Revenues spent on the program what next to last in the ACC. Where do you want to stop

So the UPMC Complex and Heinz Field are at the bottom 1/3 of the ACC? You lose all credibility with a start like that. Any evidence on recruiting budgets where Pitt stands in the ACC? How does the money spent on the program compare to the private support the program receives from great fans like you? Actually, I'd like you to start with some real hard facts, then maybe a fair discussion can ensue. Hail to Pitt!

You don't push out the most successful BB coach in modern history to save cash . Why not sit down with him and say what is going to take to successfully recruit the players your whiffing on . In FB Pitt can't go after established HC . Wisconsin allowed PC to train on the job at Pitt and once properly trained took him back and forced Pitt to hire another inexperienced HC . If PN turns this program around will he stay at Pitt ? I doubt seriously the new AD was the best candidate in the country , she was affordable as was KS as was PC as was PN and Haywood . Pitt allowed their hottest property to walk going to LSU without even a chance in hell that he'd listen to your counteroffer . Pitts administrators have turned Pitt into an afterthought in both Fb and Bb with little hope of hiring top coaches and attracting top athletes . There is no commitment to win and the fans , top coaches players know this !

Hahahaha

It takes $ to build these things. Pitt alums do not care enough. Pitt fans have caviar taste on a Milwaukee's Best budget.

What are you even talking about? The UPMC complex wasn't even opened until 2000. It's hardly "60's bottom 3rd of the ACC" by any stretch.

Let's stick to football here, since after all, this is the football page. The "evidence" you cite is historical in nature. Let's talk present day. If you honestly believe Pitt was going to retain Chryst from returning to his alma mater with more money...I believe your opinion can be totally disregarded. Measuring money spent is nice, but it does not mean it is being spent wisely. I get you were bummed with the football team's meager win over Youngstown on Saturday. However, let's keep some sanity here. What should the administration be doing now that they are not presently doing? Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: ThePanthers
Let's stick to football here, since after all, this is the football page. The "evidence" you cite is historical in nature. Let's talk present day. If you honestly believe Pitt was going to retain Chryst from returning to his alma mater with more money...I believe your opinion can be totally disregarded. Measuring money spent is nice, but it does not mean it is being spent wisely. I get you were bummed with the football team's meager win over Youngstown on Saturday. However, let's keep some sanity here. What should the administration be doing now that they are not presently doing? Hail to Pitt!

And to add to the basketball, the Pitt admin did whatever necessary to keep Dixon for 11 years, giving multiple raises/contract extensions. They didn't "push him out to save money".

If anything, the constant whining from the fans that "he didn't win enough" and the move to the ACC had him looking to move on.

As for facilities, the Peterson events center is pretty damn nice and new, baseball/softball/soccer got much needed upgrades and hopefully will be built upon for improvements in the future, and there is a march to further facility improvements going forward for the other sports.

The key is though, these things take money, and lots of it. And most other schools get that through donations from the alumni, something that Pitt fans don't want to do because of the thinking of the OP.

Instead of making change, they hold past grudges. Instead of thinking it as a college, they view it as a professional sports franchise with a deep pocket owner and a salary cap that controls spending. College athletics are unique in that we are both the fanbase and the "owners". Other universities, when they want change, the large donor alumns make that change happen.

The culture is never going to change here because of those views/past grudges. We create our own hurdles. Does the admin both past/present hold fault as well? Yes. But we as fans are at fault as well.

And to add to the basketball, the Pitt admin did whatever necessary to keep Dixon for 11 years, giving multiple raises/contract extensions. They didn't "push him out to save money".

If anything, the constant whining from the fans that "he didn't win enough" and the move to the ACC had him looking to move on.

As for facilities, the Peterson events center is pretty damn nice and new, baseball/softball/soccer got much needed upgrades and hopefully will be built upon for improvements in the future, and there is a march to further facility improvements going forward for the other sports.

The key is though, these things take money, and lots of it. And most other schools get that through donations from the alumni, something that Pitt fans don't want to do because of the thinking of the OP.

Instead of making change, they hold past grudges. Instead of thinking it as a college, they view it as a professional sports franchise with a deep pocket owner and a salary cap that controls spending. College athletics are unique in that we are both the fanbase and the "owners". Other universities, when they want change, the large donor alumns make that change happen.

The culture is never going to change here because of those views/past grudges. We create our own hurdles. Does the admin both past/present hold fault as well? Yes. But we as fans are at fault as well.
Your wrong they thought they could save money and still win .

Note to Pitts administrators ..there's a lesson here ...I don't think even the most loyal and dedicated Panther fan feels your heart is into it . Those blaming the apathy towards your FB and Bb teams on your fans are wrong . You need to care more than the fans and put a product on the field /court that can compete nationally and the fans will come if you don't screw it up .

Wow, the truth. Now if Pitt's Administration would get their heads out of their asses Pitt would have a chance.

PS: I think you were looking for "there are" not "theirs"?

The problem was that was the best hire Pitt could / would make at the time .( Pitt had zero chance of retaining Chryst once Wisconsin came calling ). For Pitt to ever be any better they need to be the university a coach wants to come to after he proves he's a winner . All Pitt is : is a stepping stone .
Youngstown St , first game of season , new OC ,new qb I can get past that . I'm not looking forward to this weekend ,but the problem I see is just about every recruit is a three star at best . Pitt needs to find a way to become a place that four star guys and occasional 5 star thinks about .

The problem was that was the best hire Pitt could / would make at the time .( Pitt had zero chance of retaining Chryst once Wisconsin came calling ). For Pitt to ever be any better they need to be the university a coach wants to come to after he proves he's a winner . All Pitt is : is a stepping stone .
Youngstown St , first game of season , new OC ,new qb I can get past that . I'm not looking forward to this weekend ,but the problem I see is just about every recruit is a three star at best . Pitt needs to find a way to become a place that four star guys and occasional 5 star thinks about .

Please explain how that happens.

Do tell? What is the solution? The current AD inherited the entire football staff. Are you suggesting people on the present staff need to be fired? Please name names. As for hiring bigger names, how can Pitt do that when it is not breaking even on athletics? Practically speaking, the University can only subsidize athletics so much. Be certain, raising money is the new AD's biggest priority [and likely toughest challenge]. You are still living in the past...think in the present. Hail to Pitt!

Please explain how that happens.
Being serious when your hiring . Not looking for a bargain . Going back a ways , but Pitt opened the coffers up for Johnny Majors 1 and when Jackie Sherrill left due to administrators interference Pitt thought Foge could continue on ...need I go on ? I'll grant salaries are out of control ,but winning cost cash and there's an old saying it takes money to make money ...

Being serious when your hiring . Not looking for a bargain . Going back a ways , but Pitt opened the coffers up for Johnny Majors 1 and when Jackie Sherrill left due to administrators interference Pitt thought Foge could continue on ...need I go on ? I'll grant salaries are out of control ,but winning cost cash and there's an old saying it takes money to make money ...

Still living in the past. The Todd Graham staff was pretty highly compensated, and they did not produce a winning season. The first Wannstedt staff had Rhoads as DC, and Cavanaugh as OC, which was a very highly paid staff....and they did little for the first few years...and then the staff changed before they won. It is not just about money. Heck, Dixon was a top 30 compensated coach, and what did he ever do in the ACC? It is not just about payroll. Is Narduzzi worth retaining? Who on the staff is critical? Look forward...nothing changes history. Hail to Pitt!

Do tell? What is the solution? The current AD inherited the entire football staff. Are you suggesting people on the present staff need to be fired? Please name names. As for hiring bigger names, how can Pitt do that when it is not breaking even on athletics? Practically speaking, the University can only subsidize athletics so much. Be certain, raising money is the new AD's biggest priority [and likely toughest challenge]. You are still living in the past...think in the present. Hail to Pitt!
Then they should get out of the athletic business if they're losing money . Pitts mission isn't to win FB and Bb games it's to educate . Fielding substandard teams doesn't bring any positive notoriety to the
university .
The current AD has nothing to do with anything this has been a long standing issue .
Do it right or don't do it .

Still living in the past. The Todd Graham staff was pretty highly compensated, and they did not produce a winning season. The first Wannstedt staff had Rhoads as DC, and Cavanaugh as OC, which was a very highly paid staff....and they did little for the first few years...and then the staff changed before they won. It is not just about money. Heck, Dixon was a top 30 compensated coach, and what did he ever do in the ACC? It is not just about payroll. Is Narduzzi worth retaining? Who on the staff is critical? Look forward...nothing changes history. Hail to Pitt!
The Graham fiasco was Pitt acting out of total embarrassment ,desperation and ineptness . Paying the right people is what makes businesses successful and that's why your CEO or in this case the AD as your most critical hire .

I think they have been pretty serious with their hires. One of our previous coaches is at AZ St and the other at Wisconsin. I guess those schools are never serious.

You realize people criticized Clemson when they promoted Dabo, an assistant with no headcoaching experience. How'd that work out?

Speaking for a small group from the Youngstown area, it was a surprise to some that Narduzzi took the job. He was a coordinator yes, but one able to choose from several good hc jobs over the years. Obviously we knew more of him than others but NONE of us knew or thought the least about Paul Chryst. This seemed an upgrade that he wouldn't have taken himself if he didn't think the school was legit. just a thought.

I get your points. But - at least in the Matt Canada situation - if the rumors are true, Pitt made him a fair, realistic offer to stay at Pitt.

But when these football factories start throwing what I call "stupid money" at assistant coaches, it's hard to justify participating in a bidding war when that kind of money is involved. And besides, money isn't the only factor if a coach wants the exposure that he'd get in a cachet program in the SEC.

If the admins are serious about winning they should open up the check book and buy some stripes for the side of the football pants.

Reactions: bubba31
I get your points. But - at least in the Matt Canada situation - if the rumors are true, Pitt made him a fair, realistic offer to stay at Pitt.

But when these football factories start throwing what I call "stupid money" at assistant coaches, it's hard to justify participating in a bidding war when that kind of money is involved. And besides, money isn't the only factor if a coach wants the exposure that he'd get in a cachet program in the SEC.
Currently there's no way Canada stays even if they matched the offer . Being at LSU is a stepping stone into becoming a HC at major FB power . Pitt needs to become the school coaches like Canada aspire to become HC at .
Otherwise nothing will ever change and 8 win seasons will be as good as it ever gets .

Currently there's no way Canada stays even if they matched the offer . Being at LSU is a stepping stone into becoming a HC at major FB power . Pitt needs to become the school coaches like Canada aspire to become HC at .
Otherwise nothing will ever change and 8 win seasons will be as good as it ever gets .

Again, how?

Nice clichés...but you are still woefully short on answers. Please go on record now--is the present football staff one that Pitt should retain at all cost [absent crazy money offers]? If so, what should the new AD do? If not, name the names of guys Lyke should force Narduzzi to fire. Otherwise, please be quiet and attempt to enjoy the season. You have not mentioned ONE thing that is relevant to the present AD or staff--which is Pitt's current attempt to be serious about football and win. Hail to Pitt!

Nice clichés...but you are still woefully short on answers. Please go on record now--is the present football staff one that Pitt should retain at all cost [absent crazy money offers]? If so, what should the new AD do? If not, name the names of guys Lyke should force Narduzzi to fire. Otherwise, please be quiet and attempt to enjoy the season. You have not mentioned ONE thing that is relevant to the present AD or staff--which is Pitt's current attempt to be serious about football and win. Hail to Pitt!
I'm not suggesting firing anyone at this time , you want specifics and I'm making a statement on the overall state of Pitt revenue sports . Maybe you somehow find the direction of the revenue sports satisfactory I
don't . Even the most ardent Bb fan is dreading this season . This isn't going to be a good weekend for Pitt FB and I'm afraid this season won't be very successful . The future of both sports hinge on upgrading their recruiting and FB is struggling to get anything but 3*s and the Bb program hopes to get 3*s . I'd still give both coaching staffs a few more season to see the direction their heading before I'd act . Maybe you think it's ok to play your games in a half filled Heinz Field and I'm thinking a half filled Pete might be optimistic . I want to look forward to watching games , I want students being turned away from games because there's such a demand for tickets . If the excuse is lack of revenue just wait it's going to get worse .
Enjoy your weekend !

I'm not suggesting firing anyone at this time , you want specifics and I'm making a statement on the overall state of Pitt revenue sports . Maybe you somehow find the direction of the revenue sports satisfactory I
don't . Even the most ardent Bb fan is dreading this season . This isn't going to be a good weekend for Pitt FB and I'm afraid this season won't be very successful . The future of both sports hinge on upgrading their recruiting and FB is struggling to get anything but 3*s and the Bb program hopes to get 3*s . I'd still give both coaching staffs a few more season to see the direction their heading before I'd act . Maybe you think it's ok to play your games in a half filled Heinz Field and I'm thinking a half filled Pete might be optimistic . I want to look forward to watching games , I want students being turned away from games because there's such a demand for tickets . If the excuse is lack of revenue just wait it's going to get worse .
Enjoy your weekend !

I think we all would want to go on to win championships every year. But unless you are one of the top 10 factory type schools, and we are in a pro sports town, Pitt has a ton of hurdles.

Reactions: sibleyfan91
Then they should get out of the athletic business if they're losing money . Pitts mission isn't to win FB and Bb games it's to educate . Fielding substandard teams doesn't bring any positive notoriety to the
university .
The current AD has nothing to do with anything this has been a long standing issue .
Do it right or don't do it .

You realize you make ZERO sense? If Pitt is in the academic business of educating kids
Enjoy your weekend !

Then exactly what are you suggesting? Pitt football is finally making some progress from the foolish decision to blow up the Wannstedt era with not a better plan in place. Recruiting and attendance will improve as the wins continue. Heinz Field simply is/was too big and moving there full time and tearing down Pitt Stadium was a mistake. But you cannot change the past, only make the best of the future and move on.

As for basketball, it appears to be a mess for both men and women. You have a million dollar+ women's coaching staff that is not getting it done. As for the Stallings staff, it is also high priced. Pitt simply cannot afford to fire either staff presently. Hopefully they coach their way out of it? If not, changes will happen when Pitt has the money and ability to make changes. Unfortunately, these are all historical decisions made by people no longer at Pitt. Nobody is happy with struggling athletics programs.

Solutions? I hear none from you. From me, I suggest if you truly love and support the programs-- 1) continue to purchase season tickets and attend the games; 2) increase your financial support of the programs; and 3) get involved so your voice can be heard/counted. Sitting back and bitching/complaining and making excuses for your lack of 1-3 above will not improve anything. Hail to Pitt!

What it means is, if they want more money, put out effort 1st. People don't want to donate if all you're getting is Sweet Caroline sing alongs. AFTER the fans see they are doing WHATEVER IT TAKES, whatever Louisville or UNC or Florida State are willing to do ANYTHING THEY DO, Then maybe they'll participate.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
What it means is, if they want more money, put out effort 1st. People don't want to donate if all you're getting is Sweet Caroline sing alongs. AFTER the fans see they are doing WHATEVER IT TAKES, whatever Louisville or UNC or Florida State are willing to do ANYTHING THEY DO, Then maybe they'll participate.

Those schools [Louisville, UNC, FLASt] were able to get there, because they dug deep and contributed money so their schools could afford to buy the things necessary to win. You need the fuel before you can burn it. It really is not very complicated, Pitt is in last place in the ACC in fundraising for athletics...so anything above a last place finish is actually over-achieving. Look forward, not to the rear. Hail to Pitt!

Those schools [Louisville, UNC, FLASt] were able to get there, because they dug deep and contributed money so their schools could afford to buy the things necessary to win. You need the fuel before you can burn it. It really is not very complicated, Pitt is in last place in the ACC in fundraising for athletics...so anything above a last place finish is actually over-achieving. Look forward, not to the rear. Hail to Pitt!

But this much is crystal clear. Pitt fans aren't going to support the Athletic programs without proof the admin is trying to win, or until they actually start winning. So if your correct and they won't start winning without more support then they might as well drop down a division because its never going to happen. Pitt's AD needs to decide if they think its worth investing in the programs fully and hope that the investment will lead to wins and more dollars from fans. If not then there is nothing that can be done because the support WILL NOT come before winning. Remember when Pitt fired SP there were reports donations went up. If they win they will get more fans in the seats and more donations. Thats the only logical way its going to happen.

What do I mean when I say support the program fully? Keep coaches when you find one that's good for starters. Hire proven HC for your money programs, even if it means digging a little further into the budget than what they would like. If Pitt goes out and spends 5 million on a BB coach I guarantee you they get a much better coach than what they currently have and its likely Pitt gets that money back from increased ticket sales and donations. Same with Canada. If they were willing to spend 1 million(still don't know if they really were or if it was lip service after Canada was leaving anyhow) go ahead and match 300k isn't much in the scheme of things and if Canada jumps ship anyhow at least you can say we matched the offer from lsu he just wanted to leave.

Correct. Louisvile didn't become the VIlle of today until Pappa John put in huge donations. Same with Oregon and Nike.

Pitt will remain Pitt of today as long as the alumn have the view of Pitt79. We are our own worst enemy.

Reactions: PITTLAW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT