ADVERTISEMENT

Primetime to CU players "get in the portal"

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
His introductory presser, and he publicly tells the whole team to get in the portal.

Then he tells the press the starting QB is his son.

I can't tell you how refreshing this guy is, and i hope he kills it at CU.

Refreshing. He's a bigger carnival barker than Franklin. It's all about him, not his players. Anyone who makes his players and media refer to themselves with a nickname is a joke to me.
My thoughts as well. He’s a douchebag, which seems to work well in college football at the moment.

I’m done yelling at clouds now.

His introductory presser, and he publicly tells the whole team to get in the portal.

Well the talent level is so low on that team it’s the smartest thing to flush the roster

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
He's a self-centered egomaniac. Any wonder kids love him?
Seriously. In 2022, the "family atmosphere" that Narduzzi sells his program on doesn't resonate with young kids anymore. The building-my-own-brand "me me me" is what works.

Deion had his own reality show at one point, right? That's probably every kids' dream nowadays.

Reactions: Dan1911
P12 Championship game within 3 years. Say what you want about him but kids love him and he's pretty "real." Told the press and players he was offered by Colorado. Met with the team to tell them first he was leaving. Told them he is coaching the Celebration Bowl.

Deion is different and that's what scares people. He's changing the game and in a good way. Colorado is going to be big time very very soon.

P12 Championship game within 3 years. Say what you want about him but kids love him and he's pretty "real." Told the press and players he was offered by Colorado. Met with the team to tell them first he was leaving. Told them he is coaching the Celebration Bowl.

Deion is different and that's what scares people. He's changing the game and in a good way. Colorado is going to be big time very very soon.

I'm just glad he's out west, honestly. Because he's going to start poaching rosters and not giving AF. And I bet some of these more traditional coaches who are doing the same thing start complaining when it does. I'm not 100% convinced this is going to work, but I won't be surprised at all if it does.

If you're Colorado, you have to accept it for what it is right now. It will either be a colossal failure, or it's going to be a success with a 2-3 year expiration date before he lands an SEC gig.

Reactions: Las Panteras
I thought Ga Tech may have made a play for Deon. The availability of talent within 30 minutes of campus....he would turn Tech into a player.

Would have been huge for our league

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Seriously. In 2022, the "family atmosphere" that Narduzzi sells his program on doesn't resonate with young kids anymore. The building-my-own-brand "me me me" is what works.

Deion had his own reality show at one point, right? That's probably every kids' dream nowadays.
Right. Duzz’ approach used to appeal to the parents moreso but now they all want a piece of the action and not necessarily what’s best for the kid post-football.

He still can't tackle.

Reactions: sonofabit
We'll see. Opinion seems to be that many if not most of the portal kids are looking for a big payday, and I seriously doubt that Colorado has a big-time NIL program in place and ready to go. Hell, their AD admitted yesterday that they don't even have the money yet to pay Sanders what they agreed to.

We'll see. Opinion seems to be that many if not most of the portal kids are looking for a big payday, and I seriously doubt that Colorado has a big-time NIL program in place and ready to go. Hell, their AD admitted yesterday that they don't even have the money yet to pay Sanders what they agreed to.
The ADs comments are rare to here, but that's not uncommon for contracts. Pitts athletic department doesn't neccesarily have all of the money we owe Narduzzi sitting in Escrow, but they have "pledges" from donors that will cover it.

I know there’s people on this board that think a coach should be able to come in and change the culture with the players he gets. And maybe some coaches can do that.

But some coaches can’t do that, and that isn’t a sign that they won’t have success. Some programs just require complete blowups because the players are too tainted by the previous regime and/or don’t have enough talent, and you need to blow it up and start over again.

Prime’s exit meeting with JSU and opening meeting with Colorado was something else. He doesn’t beat it around the bush and definitely did not shy away from the cameras. Watching this team over the next few seasons is gonna be fascinating. Must watch games for me.

Prime’s exit meeting with JSU and opening meeting with Colorado was something else. He doesn’t beat it around the bush and definitely did not shy away from the cameras. Watching this team over the next few seasons is gonna be fascinating. Must watch games for me.

Prime is going to be one of those handful of coaches that other coaches hold their breath when their targeted recruits meet with him/visit Colorado. There’s only handful of legit “boogeymen” amongst the coaching community as it relates to recruiting. But he will be one of them. Should be fun.

This feels pretty unfair to Kyle Whittingham, Luke Fickell, and to a lesser extent Pat Narduzzi in that no matter how charismatic or media/social media friendly a head coach is, they're not going to be able to compete with the NIL money or prestige of Saban or Dabo...so they built successful teams ice skating up hill. Deion at Colorado isn't a sustainable situation: he'll either flame out and collapse or he'll have just one really good season which will allow him to leave for a better job.

Reactions: Dan1911
This feels pretty unfair to Kyle Whittingham, Luke Fickell, and to a lesser extent Pat Narduzzi in that no matter how charismatic or media/social media friendly a head coach is, they're not going to be able to compete with the NIL money or prestige of Saban or Dabo...so they built successful teams ice skating up hill. Deion at Colorado isn't a sustainable situation: he'll either flame out and collapse or he'll have just one really good season which will allow him to leave for a better job.

To be fair, almost every job/hire is a “hired to be fired or leave” job.

Whittingham hasn’t left because he’s too old and rumors are he’s close to retiring.

Luke Fickell just left.

And Narduzzi hasn’t had the level of sustained success yet that would make the bigger schools empty the bank for him.

My comment was an exaggeration, but I can't help but think there is some degree of truth to it when you compare Pitt's recruiting to FCS Jackson State. I'm sure Deion is selling more than just NIL, shoe company relationships, and brand building skills. He probably tells recruit he has a family atmosphere, too, and that's why his son is going to be the QB. He also is in the college and pro football HOFs. He was a DPOY. But whatever Deion is selling is more attractive to high school kids than what the Pitt staff is selling.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
My thoughts as well. He’s a douchebag, which seems to work well in college football at the moment.

I’m done yelling at clouds now.
Sadly, he may be the perfect coach in this current environment. It is becoming the NBA, where buddies all get together and decide to go make a super team

And the coach is just whoever happens to be there

Sadly, he may be the perfect coach in this current environment. It is becoming the NBA, where buddies all get together and decide to go make a super team

And the coach is just whoever happens to be there
Why is it sad ?
Isn’t having a great recruiter always an appealing hire ?!?

He's a self-centered egomaniac. Any wonder kids love him?
So are Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Bill Belichick, and just about anyone else who was ever one of the very best at something.

He's also funny, dynamic and entertaining. Unlike the other guys I mentioned.

He may flop, but I wouldn't lay my bets on that.
I'm just glad he's out west, honestly. Because he's going to start poaching rosters and not giving AF. And I bet some of these more traditional coaches who are doing the same thing start complaining when it does. I'm not 100% convinced this is going to work, but I won't be surprised at all if it does.

If you're Colorado, you have to accept it for what it is right now. It will either be a colossal failure, or it's going to be a success with a 2-3 year expiration date before he lands an SEC gig.
If you're Colorado, you have to accept it for what it is right now.

If you're Colorado right now, anything better than having Justin Tucker line up your yamsack for a 60-yarder is more than acceptable.

That's why he wants them in the portal.
If he can't get them gone, he can bring in NIL walk-ons.
I just thought about this more. With all the student loan forgiveness (I know nothing of the details as it doesn't affect me) why not bring in 25 or 50 walk-ons with NIL? If the loans get forgiven ...great. If not, the school can funnel the money back to the "student athletes" indirectly via NIL. This would give you additional scholarships essentially without counting as scholarships. Maybe one of those players could line up correctly and catch a football.

ADVERTISEMENT