ADVERTISEMENT

Primetime to CU players "get in the portal"

I just thought about this more. With all the student loan forgiveness (I know nothing of the details as it doesn't affect me) why not bring in 25 or 50 walk-ons with NIL? If the loans get forgiven ...great. If not, the school can funnel the money back to the "student athletes" indirectly via NIL. This would give you additional scholarships essentially without counting as scholarships. Maybe one of those players could line up correctly and catch a football.
You proved you don't know much of anything about student loan forgiveness. I don't want to argue politics against board policy but worth mentioning at least facts without debating the +/- of it:
1. Biden's proposal was $10,000 forgiven if you were below the household income threshold and $20,000 if you qualified for Pell Grants. Doesn't come close to the amount of money it takes to be at the vast majority of universities with football for several years.
2. The Supreme Court put that on hold anyway. If it does or doesn't survive is to be determined.
3. There are some people who can get all undergraduate loans forgiven, but that requires you to do 10 years of qualified public service (e.g. teaching) while making income based repayments on your loans for 120 months of said employment.

I don't see any loophole in here for football recruiting purposes. NIL and scholarships are the major factors still; your scheme basically requires players to take it on faith that some donor will retroactively pay for their college education after the fact?

You proved you don't know much of anything about student loan forgiveness. I don't want to argue politics against board policy but worth mentioning at least facts without debating the +/- of it:
1. Biden's proposal was $10,000 forgiven if you were below the household income threshold and $20,000 if you qualified for Pell Grants. Doesn't come close to the amount of money it takes to be at the vast majority of universities with football for several years.
2. The Supreme Court put that on hold anyway. If it does or doesn't survive is to be determined.
3. There are some people who can get all undergraduate loans forgiven, but that requires you to do 10 years of qualified public service (e.g. teaching) while making income based repayments on your loans for 120 months of said employment.

I don't see any loophole in here for football recruiting purposes. NIL and scholarships are the major factors still; your scheme basically requires players to take it on faith that some donor will retroactively pay for their college education after the fact?
Haha. I said I know nothing of it....but I'm an expert in everything on these boards.
I live in a strange foreign land where a university education is affordable to most people. The first year is free! Free!
And the universities don't blow tens to hundreds of millions on sports.
Why do US colleges even do this?

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Haha. I said I know nothing of it....but I'm an expert in everything on these boards.
I live in a strange foreign land where a university education is affordable to most people. The first year is free! Free!
And the universities don't blow tens to hundreds of millions on sports.
Why do US colleges even do this?
Yeah for your question...it's truly bizarre, especially for the MAC type programs that have no hope of getting to a positive revenue situation. I don't understand what they get out of it? I mean I've heard some arguments especially essentially as advertising, I just don't buy them. The fun one to really blow some people's mind is to remind them that the Ivy League is just a sports conference

Reactions: USN_Panther
I
Yeah for your question...it's truly bizarre, especially for the MAC type programs that have no hope of getting to a positive revenue situation. I don't understand what they get out of it? I mean I've heard some arguments especially essentially as advertising, I just don't buy them. The fun one to really blow some people's mind is to remind them that the Ivy League is just a sports conference
I do wonder if some schools are nearing a tipping point of just dropping football. That would allow for other cuts in the athletic budgets as well.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
You confuse "can't" with "wouldn't".

And nobody that mattered held it against him, because he was the best and most talented cover corner of all time.
All true. But if I was on the other side of the ball I would have forced him to tackle by blocking everyone but him and sending someone like Cristian Okoye around his end.

Reactions: sonofabit
Colorado is among the bottom 5 P5 teams, so if it doesn’t pan out who cares. It draws attention to a program that’s been irrelevant for 20 years. Home run hire.

Reactions: cashisking884
Do you mean the "student-athletes" who he told to find another school for their education?

He didn't. I figured that was taken out of context and it was. He was saying how things would be different and the players have to figure out what they need to do like going into the portal.

When can we stop pretending this isnt pro football? If Deion wants to "cut" players, so be it. They are pros. If the kids want to stay at the school because they love its academic offerings, they are free to do so but they wont be on football scholarship like 99% of their fellow students. They'll be fine.

He didn't. I figured that was taken out of context and it was. He was saying how things would be different and the players have to figure out what they need to do like going into the portal.

When can we stop pretending this isnt pro football? If Deion wants to "cut" players, so be it. They are pros. If the kids want to stay at the school because they love its academic offerings, they are free to do so but they wont be on football scholarship like 99% of their fellow students. They'll be fine.
It's not pro football. Yeah, it's big business and a lot of it is most definitely pay for play. But it's not that way for all of these guys. Some of them have probably busted their ass for CU and they just aren't good enough. Fine, he can tell them to move on.

To degrade the team on camera... that was just Coach Prime making it all about Coach Prime.

It's not pro football. Yeah, it's big business and a lot of it is most definitely pay for play.

In what way is this not professional football? Because the players get paid by boosters instead of the school? Please. Its pro football. The end.

I
I do wonder if some schools are nearing a tipping point of just dropping football. That would allow for other cuts in the athletic budgets as well.
It still makes sense for have-not Football schools especially in the P5 conferences. That will not be sustainable when the big football schools break off and the conference system collapses, however.

Are MAC schools not in positive revenue situations? I know they have to schedule the pay day games with the P5 for their non-con schedule, but I thought those sufficiently paid the bills. Plus they got the weekday ESPN contract.

Are MAC schools not in positive revenue situations? I know they have to schedule the pay day games with the P5 for their non-con schedule, but I thought those sufficiently paid the bills. Plus they got the weekday ESPN contract.

It depends on the accounting you use. If you count the tuition checks that the Toledo Athletic Department sends the School of Arts & Sciences, then they lose quite a bit of annually every year. Most athletic programs do count that as an expense even though its money moving from one column to the other. If that money wasnt counted, then they get close to breaking even

It depends on the accounting you use. If you count the tuition checks that the Toledo Athletic Department sends the School of Arts & Sciences, then they lose quite a bit of annually every year. Most athletic programs do count that as an expense even though its money moving from one column to the other. If that money wasnt counted, then they get close to breaking even
Plus to fund 85 football scholarships, they have to fund 85 scholarships for women's sports as well, plus those coaches and staff salaries.

His introductory presser, and he publicly tells the whole team to get in the portal.

Then he tells the press the starting QB is his son.

I can't tell you how refreshing this guy is, and i hope he kills it at CU.
Chuck Noll did the same thing, he met with the team the first time, saying to them, not to expect to be here long.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
In what way is this not professional football? Because the players get paid by boosters instead of the school? Please. Its pro football. The end.
It is not pro football for the simple reason that all of the players have to be enrolled in the college of their choice in order to participate. This is not complicated.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
All he really did was tell these guys, “if you want to play football next year, I suggest you go somewhere else.”

I don’t see a ton wrong with that. Lots of coaches do that. When Bronco got to UVA he basically said the exact same thing. Something along the lines of, “there’s maybe 20 guys here that actually belong here. But we will get the talent right in the future.”

All he really did was tell these guys, “if you want to play football next year, I suggest you go somewhere else.”

I don’t see a ton wrong with that. Lots of coaches do that. When Bronco got to UVA he basically said the exact same thing. Something along the lines of, “there’s maybe 20 guys here that actually belong here. But we will get the talent right in the future.”
A lot of them will tell that to kids on their roster to open a scholarship.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It is not pro football for the simple reason that all of the players have to be enrolled in the college of their choice in order to participate. This is not complicated.

Let's see here:

- players make annual salaries (paid by boosters)

- players are paid with free college tuition, which the IRS counts as income for Americans getting free tuition through an employer

- players are paid with free food

- players are paid with free housing

- players are paid cost of attendance stipends

Its pro football. They are professionals. Period. End of story.

The average MAC athletic program loses several million a year from athletics. Some lose money on football alone some make money, some it depends on the year. The coaching staff salaries are hard to limit. A lot of them have cut back on the total number of sports offered and the conference also eliminated some conference championship events/games in non revenue sports. They even cut back on the regular season games in baseball, softball. At some point, I wonder how the lower FBS level schools in states that aren't really growing can continue these losses without hope of moving up?

32-2 the last two years at Jackson State with two conference titles is about as good as anyone does in the SWAC? The previous three coaches were 6-9, 9-20, 6-11.

Yeah I don’t get all of the comparisons with former pros who were hired without coaching experience like Penny, Stackhouse, etc… Sanders was in that position three years ago but he’s won and proven he is capable.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Colorado turned around quickly and Deion coaching in the NFL within a few years.

Yeah I don’t get all of the comparisons with former pros who were hired without coaching experience like Penny, Stackhouse, etc… Sanders was in that position three years ago but he’s won and proven he is capable.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Colorado turned around quickly and Deion coaching in the NFL within a few years.

Deion said he'd never coach in the NFL because he can't deal with millionaire players. The NFL is about coaching and that isnt his specialty. He is a recruiter and a showman. You cant recruit in the NFL and the showbiz part does nothing.

Just really surprised he took THIS job. I read that most P5s were scared away what happened at his Prime Prep Academy (fraud, embezzlement, etc). But Colorado? A white school (2.6% African American) in a white town in a white state. He seemed like he'd be a fantastic fit at a place like GT or in the SEC where there are pockets of strong African-American culture. That said, he's going to win big at CU

Let's see here:

- players make annual salaries (paid by boosters)

- players are paid with free college tuition, which the IRS counts as income for Americans getting free tuition through an employer

- players are paid with free food

- players are paid with free housing

- players are paid cost of attendance stipends

Its pro football. They are professionals. Period. End of story.
Ok, how many professional football players have to be enrolled in college to be able to participate in the NFL? Zero, none. That is the difference. College players have to abide by NCAA regulations and their college's rules first, in order to play. Just like college basketball, soccer, volleyball and all of the other college athletes do. They do not get any of those benefits unless they are students. Do you also consider the Pitt scholarship swimming team members professionals? Maybe you just define "professional athletes" differently

Last edited:
Deion said he'd never coach in the NFL because he can't deal with millionaire players. The NFL is about coaching and that isnt his specialty. He is a recruiter and a showman. You cant recruit in the NFL and the showbiz part does nothing.

Just really surprised he took THIS job. I read that most P5s were scared away what happened at his Prime Prep Academy (fraud, embezzlement, etc). But Colorado? A white school (2.6% African American) in a white town in a white state. He seemed like he'd be a fantastic fit at a place like GT or in the SEC where there are pockets of strong African-American culture. That said, he's going to win big at CU
I believe Auburn got scared and chose to not hire him.

Do all the players get money from boosters or NIL, like the walk ons or even the bad scholarship players who never set foot on the field?
No one knows. Ohio State claims they have 1000 NIL deals now, so maybe all their players get at least a little something. But I think the answer is most FBS football players do not? Not sure though!

One thing that could change it for example is the 2024 EA Sports NCAA football game -- players are joining a group licensing company, CLC, who will sell their rights to EA for a packaged deal. But it's a little more complicated than pro sports video games because the since the athletes are non union (no anti trust exemption for collective bargaining them) and the government hasn't created an anti trust exemption specifically for college sports like they did for pro sports.

Do all the players get money from boosters or NIL, like the walk ons or even the bad scholarship players who never set foot on the field?

Not all. But more and more schools are offering base salaries so within a year or 2, all or most will.

In any event, even if you take out NIL, these players are heavily compensated. The tuition, apartment, food, books, cost of attendance well exceeds $100K/year. The only reason we consider them "amateur" is because that's how the NCAA defines it. In no way, are they amateurs. NIL pay for play salaries just makes it obvious that they arent.

If an 18 year old kid got some job after HS with a tech startup or something like that that only offered to pay him $5000/year but they paid for his college tuition, gave him free housing, and free food, the IRS would tax the value of the tuition, housing, and food and we'd all consider him a professional. But since the NCAA calls defines amateurism arbitrarily, we have geniuses on here claiming they aren't pros despite the competition they get.

To be fair what Dion said I think every coach should say. I believe his exact quote was “ I’m gonna give you a chance to jump on that portal” And he also said “ My goal is to make some of y’all quit because we need guys who are going to buy in on this team”. So basically he’s not kissing butt And selling kids on not just getting college football money we’re preparing to be a great pro and make more money at the pro level. You got to have charisma to become a big-time recruiter. A lot of legendary college football coaches weren’t great at X’s and O’s, but Understood it was about the Jimmy and Joe’s

Reactions: Las Panteras
To be fair what Dion said I think every coach should say. I believe his exact quote was “ I’m gonna give you a chance to jump on that portal” And he also said “ My goal is to make some of y’all quit because we need guys who are going to buy in on this team”. So basically he’s not kissing butt And selling kids on not just getting college football money we’re preparing to be a great pro and make more money at the pro level. You got to have charisma to become a big-time recruiter. A lot of legendary college football coaches weren’t great at X’s and O’s, but Understood it was about the Jimmy and Joe’s
He sells accountability and toughness .
Buy in and get better and smarter or leave .
Isn’t that pretty standard coaching transition speak ?!?

You confuse "can't" with "wouldn't".

And nobody that mattered held it against him, because he was the best and most talented cover corner of all time.
Did he have an island named after him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT