ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Day thoughts

Brian Batko

Walk-on
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2014
Hey everyone, before we get a chance to post some videos and an article or two from Pitt's Pro Day Tuesday, I figured I'd drop in and pass along some of my observations from the practice facility.

* As you likely know by now, while T.J. Clemmings came in as the big story of the day, safety Ray Vinopal made most of the headlines. "Big Play Ray" was "Big Day Ray" or maybe "Strong Display Ray" -- either way, you get the picture (I posted some photos and videos of Vinopal, Clemmings and others on my Twitter account @BrianBatko).

* As expected, Clemmings still had plenty of attention and people around him, both local and national media as well as NFL personnel.

* It was very impressive to me the way both of those guys, Clemmings and Vinopal, handled the entire day with aplomb. For Clemmings' part, he certainly didn't tip his hand while constantly being peppered with questions about his draft stock, being considered a first-rounder, interested teams, etc.

And while I can't say how Vinopal has done in his interviews with NFL teams, he treated his media obligations like a job interview -- which is exactly how a guy in his position should approach this process. He gave concrete examples of things he's been working on to prepare for the next level, he came off confident but not cocky, and he seems to understand just what he needs to do to get an opportunity.

* The current Pitt players, from true freshmen to juniors soon to be seniors themselves, really rallied around their graduating teammates. That camaraderie was probably most evident in the weight room for the bench-press workout, but many of the guys also walked over to the indoor facility to watch the seniors run, jump and do position drills. Some of the guys were even trying to tell the seniors their times in between reps of the 40, shuttle drill, etc.

It seems the attendance of the younger guys was encouraged, if not at least partially motivated, by new coach Pat Narduzzi, who spent the day watching players he never coached try to make a good impression on scouts while also conversing with many scouts himself.

And while some graduating players will be moving on with their life's work rather than trying to keep playing football, a couple of those guys like Isaac Bennett and Adam Lazenga were at the facility, too, lending their support. As was quarterback Trey Anderson, even though he'll be transferring out for his final season.

* Another familiar face who dropped by to support his former teammates was all-everything defensive tackle Aaron Donald. As expected, he was a popular guy, from current Panthers crowding around him to national NFL media, as well. He seemed to spend a good chunk of his time chatting with one of the Panthers who had to help replace his production last season, Darryl Render.

* Speaking of familiar faces, former Pitt wide receivers coach (under Paul Chryst) Greg Lewis, now an offensive assistant with the New Orleans Saints, was in attendance and caught up with some of his former pupils while he did some scouting.

Other notable NFL coaches who were there came from across the hall, as Steelers assistants Carnell Lake, Joey Porter and Mike Munchak all swung by, with Munchak putting Clemmings and Matt Rotheram through a long O-lineman workout.

* For an off-the-field note (kind of), being at pro day was another chance to see the increasing prevalence of the new script logo. From various coaches wearing it on their apparel to the logo at the top of my press pass to the sticker on the rear window of Chad Voytik's SUV, the script era continues to pick up steam.

* Lastly, I finally had a chance to ask Narduzzi something I've wanted to for a long time: Is he pals with hip-hop artist Rich Homie Quan, who essentially became something of the rapping mascot for Michigan State during its 2014 Rose Bowl run? Narduzzi was a good sport and said that yes, he does know Rich Homie, but wouldn't exactly say they're tight. He was then approached by someone from Pitt in regard to something surely more important than what I'd just asked and was on his way after what he called a fun and relatively relaxing day in his world.

This post was edited on 3/3 9:39 PM by Brian Batko

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News