ADVERTISEMENT

Proposal for Pitt

RaleighPittFan

Assistant Coach
May 12, 2005
I propose that Pitt should consider making available retired jersey numbers to players who have the ability and attitude to properly honor the player who wore the retired jersey.

I'm not suggesting that there will ever be another Marshall Goldberg; or Tony Dorsett; or Hugh Green. I'm not even suggesting that the player wearing the retired number necessarily play the position of the former great. I'm offering a way for the former player to be further honored for an entire season.

For example, this season, I would like to see George Aston wear number 89 while playing Full Back. If there's one player who embodies the qualities that Iron Mike Ditka possessed, George comes the closest to any I've seen play at Pitt.

To take it one step further, I'd rather see a "Ring of Honor" where these former players are recognized, instead of "Retied" numbers; while being selective with the players who get to wear those numbers in the future.

No freshman should be eligible. I'd like to say only seniors would get the honor, but most of the guys who would be likely would be three and done, so I'd suggest third year and beyond.

I'm sure there would be plenty of years where there wouldn't be someone wearing a "Ring of Honor" jersey, but where it's appropriate, as in George's case, I'd like to see it implemented.

Last edited:
I propose that Pitt should consider making available retired jersey numbers to players who have the ability and attitude to properly honor the player who wore the retired jersey.

I'm not suggesting that there will ever be another Marshall Goldberg; or Tony Dorsett; or Hugh Green. I'm not even suggesting that the player wearing the retired number necessarily play the position of the former great. I'm offering a way for the former player to be further honored for an entire season.

For example, this season, I would like to see George Aston wear number 89 while playing Full Back. If there's one player who embodies the qualities that Iron Mike Ditka possessed, George comes the closest to any I've seen play at Pitt.

To take it one step further, I'd rather see a "Ring of Honor" where these former players are recognized, instead of "Retied" numbers; while being selective with the players who get to wear those numbers in the future.

No freshman should be eligible. I'd like to say only seniors would get the honor, but most of the guys who would be likely would be three and done, so I'd suggest third year and beyond.

I'm sure there would be plenty of years where there wouldn't be someone wearing a "Ring of Honor" jersey, but where it's appropriate, as in George's case, I'd like to see it implemented.
Do it right like your proposal and it’s spot on ; have always thought you honor a player not a number.

Like it.

Agreed. I used to love the way Syracuse handled #44 and the way Michigan handles #1. I think it would be a great recruiting tool. "Hey kid, wanna have a chance to wear #1 or #25?" I think 33 might be OK to retire but not any of the others.

Reactions: paulbl99
I understand the spirit and intent but I look at it this way, and I'm not advocating retiring #24. But say James Conner wanted to wear #33. That would have made the his jersey number, the #24, less memorable. A great player can make his own number special and memorable instead of getting blended into the former great that wore another number. I suppose that could be left up to the player and/or school to decide. To me, #33 will always be, and should always be Tony Dorsett.

What if Aaron Donald wanted to wear #99? To me, #99 should always be Hugh Green and because it was retired, I will always think of #97 as Aaron Donald.

I understand the spirit and intent but I look at it this way, and I'm not advocating retiring #24. But say James Conner wanted to wear #33. That would have made the his jersey number, the #24, less memorable. A great player can make his own number special and memorable instead of getting blended into the former great that wore another number. I suppose that could be left up to the player and/or school to decide. To me, #33 will always be, and should always be Tony Dorsett.

What if Aaron Donald wanted to wear #99? To me, #99 should always be Hugh Green and because it was retired, I will always think of #97 as Aaron Donald.

James changed his number from 40 to 24 because of Marshawn Lynch. How different would that really have been if he was able to change it to 33 because he was a special Pitt player and could honor Tony?

The main benefit I see from this proposal is one of education. Educating the players about Pitt's past greats (which I think is being done now). Educating the public about the greats who put on a Pitt uniform. I know we all know about Bill Fralic, but I doubt the average college football fan (or, high school kid thinking of Pitt) of today knows about his accomplishments. How wonderful would it be for every TV broadcast to have the announcers talk about the current star player wearing Bill's jersey number, and then to talk about what a great player Bill was. Substitute Joe Schmitt five years down the road when another current Pitt player deserves to be recognized. And, so on. This would be a lot more coverage that the camera shot at home games of the pictures in the corner of the stadium of those who's numbers have been retired. This would be home and away, and I feel, would be much more coverage.

Most of our opposing team's fans don't know Pitt has nine national championships, let alone the history of our greatest players.

I don't expect Pitt to follow through with it, but I wanted to toss out my thoughts for discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT