ADVERTISEMENT

PSAC

NBPanther

Prep
Nov 22, 2015
Suspends all conference athletics through 12/31. No word on whether football will move to the spring or not. Official announcement coming tomorrow morning.

Suspends all conference athletics through 12/31. No word on whether football will move to the spring or not. Official announcement coming tomorrow morning.

All team sports are history for the foreseeable future.

Gonna have to go down to the local high school to watch games

I talked to a PSAC coach today and he is optimistic HS football will take place unlike college because they don't have to manage out of state students. I asked him about power 5 cfb. He said, why do you think they've been on campus for over a month now?

I talked to a PSAC coach today and he is optimistic HS football will take place unlike college because they don't have to manage out of state students

Did you point put that he has no insight as to what happens at the high school level, as if these HS athletes are not traveling all over the eastern seaboard in late July early August, some playing baseball in showcases etc., some on family vacations, some on vacation with friends. In addition the students athletes siblings also traveling at that time period in the same fashion and returning in late July or August and living in the same household. If athletes/students come back from the outer banks on July 30th for example, are they going to quarantine until August 13? I doubt it.

Now that does not mean there will not be HS football, it just means that the argument (which I may have inferred from reading Lombardi's comments last week) is a false narrative, or is simply out of touch with what high school coaches know to be true.

Did you point put that he has no insight as to what happens at the high school level, as if these HS athletes are not traveling all over the eastern seaboard in late July early August, some playing baseball in showcases etc., some on family vacations, some on vacation with friends. In addition the students athletes siblings also traveling at that time period in the same fashion and returning in late July or August and living in the same household. If athletes/students come back from the outer banks on July 30th for example, are they going to quarantine until August 13? I doubt it.

Now that does not mean there will not be HS football, it just means that the argument (which I may have inferred from reading Lombardi's comments last week) is a false narrative, or is simply out of touch with what high school coaches know to be true.

He coached at the hs level, teaches at a Hs, and his sons play hs football.

Those who want to play will quarantine.

We’re pretty deep into July and I still haven’t heard any definitive plans for how the schools are going to operate let alone sports. Guess we’ll see.

Well, it looks to me like most districts will just forge ahead and proceed as normally as possible, with such low rate of problems for school age kids, it may really pay-off, yep, I guess we will see.

I talked to a HS coach (not football) this week and he said he didn't think his sport would have a season.

All team sports are history for the foreseeable future.
The decisions that conferences like the Ivy, Patriot and D2 and D3 levels make is not a precursor to what the P5 conferences will do. I’m not saying the P5 conferences won’t cancel or postpone at the end of the day, but these cancellations we are seeing now are being made because smaller schools do not have the resources or want-to to pull off all the logistics required.

Reactions: Parkview57
Non-contact high school sports seem like they'll be good to go right now. Of course one Covid case and an entire team will be shut down for the season. Football is going to be interesting and impacts the most students. If you cancel football, you also remove opportunities for cheerleaders and band students--though clearly not the primary motivator to play or not play. At this point, Pennsylvania is probably too far into the process to flip the fall and spring seasons and playing only football out of season just isn't viable with so many multi-sport athletes. I wonder if the state will consider regional rules for playing. If deemed safe to play, would they let just the WPIAL or other districts play while others may be cancelled or would it be a blanket rule for the entire PIAA?

If you listened to Chris Peak's podcast from last night it will tell you how great of a chance football is this fall. Common sense H2P!

If deemed safe to play, would they let just the WPIAL or other districts play while others may be cancelled or would it be a blanket rule for the entire PIAA?

I believe the decisions will be made by regions/counties, it would be consistent with the Governors approach. In fact, right now barring return to red phase, the school districts are in command of their own fate and because of this there is a better chance they will play. I pretty much said it was hopeless in a thread about two weeks ago and some fellow posters jumped on me about it, steelcurtain555 etc., so I took a better look and they convinced me that the odds of playing HS football were better than I first thought.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT