ADVERTISEMENT

PSU and MD will be in the ACC in 7 years

You don’t see how in state tax revenue is created with ticket sales, merchandise, parking, food, tv contracts, etc?

Wouldn't that be a point in favor of not only the schools all being in separate conferences, but also never playing each other as well? The state of PA makes a lot more money on a day when Penn State is playing a home game against Akron and Pitt is playing a home game against UCF (just as an example) than they do when they are playing each other.

Let's compare all the items you mention and see. On ticket sales, two separate games certainly draw tens of thousands of more people, although at lower prices. Let be generous and say that's a small point in favor of playing each other. But then there's the rest of it. 130,000 - 140,000 people buy more merchandise than 70,000 or 108,000 do, so a point for not playing. Far more cars need to park when 130,000 - 140,000 people are attending events rather than 70,000 or 108,000, and both schools charge the same for parking no matter the opponent, so separate games bring in a lot more money there. Food, well, that's the same as parking. Two separate crowds that are far larger eat far more food than one crowd would. Again, advantage not playing. TV contracts is actually a wash, because neither team makes more or less money based on more or fewer home games or higher or lower quality of opponents.

Do you have any other things for us to consider? Because so far it seems pretty obvious that total revenue for two separate home games is clearly greater than the revenue for one game against each other would bring in.

Wrong. You don’t get the tax implications.

The idea is to tax either the university or the common fan. My guess is the tax liability should fall on the “middle class” fan. People in the middle class need to start paying their fair share of taxes and the best way to get to the white, middle, class is through college sports. If the university doesn’t pay....its sports crazed fans will.

Are you serious?

Speaking of being serious , do you really believe this state has enough politicians who have the courage to force Penn State to do anything not of it's choosing? No matter what good it will bring to the people of PA, Penn State will continue to do anything protect the cult without regard for anything else.

Reactions: Pittski
The legislature won't even force the Nits to schedule Pitt as a regular out-of-conference opponent (not that I want them to, but still....), but they'll force the Nits to leave the Big Ten for the ACC? No way.

Perhaps it is the way I am explaining the issue but it seems most of you do not understand. I received a few PMs who entirely understand and have heard the same thing.

I’ll keep it simple. You want to create a larger taxable base. Singling out athletics in our commonwealth could generate enough to subsidize state grants. Otherwise, tuition hikes will continue.

The legislature won't even force the Nits to schedule Pitt as a regular out-of-conference opponent (not that I want them to, but still....), but they'll force the Nits to leave the Big Ten for the ACC? No way.
Agreed. In fact it's a bigger surprise that the state hasn't totally phased out funds to Pitt, Temple et al to increase funding of PSU. PSU is probably a more revered entity of the state than Independence Hall.

Twitter informs us today that Franklin wants to discuss how the B10 conference structure is preventing CFB appearances. I interpret that as him complaining about losing to Mich, MSU and OSU. PSU would do quite well in the ACC Coastal and have a shot at ACC Championship game every year.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Or, you know, just legalize and tax marijuana to pull in half a $billion in annual tax revenue.

Twitter informs us today that Franklin wants to discuss how the B10 conference structure is preventing CFB appearances. I interpret that as him complaining about losing to Mich, MSU and OSU. PSU would do quite well in the ACC Coastal and have a shot at ACC Championship game every year.
Franklin would simply become the b!tch of Clemson and/or FSU.

If he's desperate to win a conference title outright, there's always the MAC. I'm guessing that the MAC would be willing to accept the Nits - if only to build its cred.

Perhaps it is the way I am explaining the issue but it seems most of you do not understand. I received a few PMs who entirely understand and have heard the same thing.

Sorry, jc, I really don't understand. What Is a PM and what do they have to do with politicians and/or PSU's decision makers?

Twitter informs us today that Franklin wants to discuss how the B10 conference structure is preventing CFB appearances. I interpret that as him complaining about losing to Mich, MSU and OSU.

Or how having Rutgers in the "win" column gets you no respect. Speaking of Rutgers, they just announced a new stadium rights naming deal with a company called SHI. (I am NOT making this up!) A SHI stadium for a SHI football program.

The idea is to tax either the university or the common fan. My guess is the tax liability should fall on the “middle class” fan. People in the middle class need to start paying their fair share of taxes and the best way to get to the white, middle, class is through college sports. If the university doesn’t pay....its sports crazed fans will.
As if they don't pay taxes, now? Nonsense.

I understand that the state brings in more tax money when there is more revenue to tax. That seems to be something that has escaped you.

Pitt's overall budget is $2.4 BILLION per year. Penn State's is $3.6 BILLION per year. The notion that what is going to save the day in a combined $6 BILLION per year enterprise is one football game per season is nuts. Especially when to get that one game per season you are proposing that one of the schools forgo tens of millions of dollars per year. The fact is that in the grand scheme of the two universities budgets one football game is a mere drop in the bucket. And a small drop at that.

Honestly it wouldn’t bother me at all if PA forced the schools to play

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again... This entire dysfunctional situation is unique to PA and PA alone and it all got started by a small , bitter old coach... now dead. Every other state manages to continue old rivalries in or out of conference... while PSU manufacturers entirely dis provable excuses to not play every year...

Reactions: Parkview57

I’ll keep it simple. You want to create a larger taxable base. Singling out athletics in our commonwealth could generate enough to subsidize state grants. Otherwise, tuition hikes will continue.
Tuition hikes will happen regardless. Psu and temple join the acc, tuition will still go up.

This whole thread sucks.

Franklin would simply become the b!tch of Clemson and/or FSU.

If he's desperate to win a conference title outright, there's always the MAC. I'm guessing that the MAC would be willing to accept the Nits - if only to build its cred.

Franklin actually did win a conference title outright in case you don't remember.. his discussion is regarding making sure a representative from the conference goes to the playoff every year. I think all conferences want that. Bama has played Georgia exactly one time in the regular season since 2008, 5 times in the regular season since 1995. I don't know if it's strategic, but it keeps the heavyweight programs alive longer if they don't beat each other up during the season. Personally, I like playing Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State every year. I want to play Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin every year too. But it just makes it a lot more difficult to go unscathed to get to the playoff.

As for the OP, no clue what your point is but you made the 105 page thread on Pitt fans say the darndest things.. congrats on that

Reactions: JJTopp99
Franklin actually did win a conference title outright in case you don't remember.. his discussion is regarding making sure a representative from the conference goes to the playoff every year. I think all conferences want that. Bama has played Georgia exactly one time in the regular season since 2008, 5 times in the regular season since 1995. I don't know if it's strategic, but it keeps the heavyweight programs alive longer if they don't beat each other up during the season. Personally, I like playing Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State every year. I want to play Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin every year too. But it just makes it a lot more difficult to go unscathed to get to the playoff.
But Bama does play Auburn and LSU every year, two programs with a much better recent history than Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State (3 teams that have combined for a 6-10 record against the SEC since 2008). It's ridiculous to suggest that the SEC schedules in Bama's favor when they play 2 teams that have more recent championships and championship game appearances than the entire Big Ten combined.

edit: Let's not forget PSU's upcoming annual cross-division rivalry with the powerhouse that is Illinois that averages 4.3 wins per year over the past 15 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan

As for the OP, no clue what your point is but you made the 105 page thread on Pitt fans say the darndest things.. congrats on that
Did you ever stop to think (nah, you didn't) that maybe the Big Ten just doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs each and every year?

I know that at least one of those years (2016) when a Big Ten team did go, that team - Ohio State - got manhandled by Clemson, 31-0. Yep - shut out. This is the same Clemson team that lost to "lowly" Pitt. Your Nit team lost to that same Pitt team. Feel free to post that on your site, too.

My point? Your coach is a crybaby who accomplishes less with 4-5 star recruits than most other programs in the country.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
At best, the state legislators might MIGHT force in-state major powers to play annual game(s) as part of funding the schools. That has happened in other states.

It would be nice if that happened in PA (Pitt vs PSU in football and MBB.
The PA legislature can't get beer sold uniformly among a host of other things, what makes anyone think they could do this?

Did you ever stop to think (nah, you didn't) that maybe the Big Ten just doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs each and every year?

I know that at least one of those years (2016) when a Big Ten team did go, that team - Ohio State - got manhandled by Clemson, 31-0. Yep - shut out. This is the same Clemson team that lost to "lowly" Pitt. Your Nit team lost to that same Pitt team. Feel free to post that on your site, too.

My point? Your coach is a crybaby who accomplishes less with 4-5 star recruits than most other programs in the country.

I actually do think a representative from the B1G, the ACC, SEC, Big 12, Pac 12 and group of 5 should be in the playoff every year. That's what a NATIONAL playoff would be. All the best teams from different regions playing each other on the field to see who's best.

You can point at one game in 2016 all you want. It's a tiny sample size and proves nothing other than Clemson was a lot better than OSU on that day. OSU was in the playoff one other time beating Bama and Oregon to win the national title. I'm aware Pitt upset Clemson and beat Penn State in 2016. Clemson was also upset by Syracuse recently. Congrats on your upset wins. Good luck with North Carolina this year.

And if your point was that Franklin's a crybaby, I'm not sure what you said supports any of that. But cool.. think that.

But Bama does play Auburn and LSU every year, two programs with a much better recent history than Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State (3 teams that have combined for a 6-10 record against the SEC since 2008). It's ridiculous to suggest that the SEC schedules in Bama's favor when they play 2 teams that have more recent championships and championship game appearances than the entire Big Ten combined.

edit: Let's not forget PSU's upcoming annual cross-division rivalry with the powerhouse that is Illinois that averages 4.3 wins per year over the past 15 years.

You're funny.. Bama has a couple tough games all season. They have a creampuff in November as a pseudo bye. Their division is difficult but the SEC doesn't make it more difficult on them and if they lose a game, they get a pass. See 2017 when they lost to Auburn and didn't have to play in a conference championship game. 8 power 5 wins got them to the national playoff.

LSU Auburn
2018 10-3 8-5
2017 9-4 10-4
2016 8-4 8-5
2015 9-3 7-6
2014 8-5 8-5
2013 10-3 12-2
2012 10-3 3-9

Penn State doesn't have an annual crossover game. 9 conference games total. 4 at home and 5 on the road this year. Crossover games at Iowa, at Minnesota and home vs Purdue. Last year it was home vs Iowa, home vs Wisconsin and at Illinois.

You're funny.. Bama has a couple tough games all season. They have a creampuff in November as a pseudo bye. Their division is difficult but the SEC doesn't make it more difficult on them and if they lose a game, they get a pass. See 2017 when they lost to Auburn and didn't have to play in a conference championship game. 8 power 5 wins got them to the national playoff.

LSU Auburn
2018 10-3 8-5
2017 9-4 10-4
2016 8-4 8-5
2015 9-3 7-6
2014 8-5 8-5
2013 10-3 12-2
2012 10-3 3-9

Penn State doesn't have an annual crossover game. 9 conference games total. 4 at home and 5 on the road this year. Crossover games at Iowa, at Minnesota and home vs Purdue. Last year it was home vs Iowa, home vs Wisconsin and at Illinois.
Why are you posting on a Pitt board at 3 AM??
Nah, they don't care about PItt.

No one here gives a rat's patoot about the big ten not having a representative in the playoffs.
We do care about sanctimonious athletic programs covering up child abuse though.

LSU Auburn
2018 10-3 8-5
2017 9-4 10-4
2016 8-4 8-5
2015 9-3 7-6
2014 8-5 8-5
2013 10-3 12-2
2012 10-3 3-9

The Big Ten East is also extremely top heavy with Maryland, Indiana, and Rutgers at the bottom. Three teams with a combined 7 winning seasons in the past decade (3 of those are from Rutgers in the Big East). They have 5 bowls wins between them over that time.

Texas A&M has 9 winning seasons by themselves. Mississippi State has 8, Arkansas has 6, and Ole Miss has 5. They have a combined 19 Bowl wins during that time. What is harder to achieve in a conference? Going undefeated against 2-3 elite teams, 1-2 mediocre teams, and 3-4 cupcakes? Or going undefeated against 1-2 elite teams, and 5-6 mediocre teams, and 0-1 cupcakes? I don't know, but most algorithms say the latter.

The Big Ten has annual cross-over games in 5-year stretches. PSU currently plays Iowa every year until 2021, then Illinois from 2022-2027. The SEC has rotational cross-over schedules so they play Georgia in 2017 and 2021.

No one is forcing the Big Ten to schedule 9 conference games, they do that for the money. They made a self-serving decision to place revenue above anything else, and are now complaining because the other conferences aren't following suit.

Last edited:
Reactions: h2p_5150
Maryland left the ACC ,I say there no way in hell they get offered again.Give me WVU & Central Florida , but noway it would happen so........

No one is forcing the Big Ten to schedule 9 conference games, they do that for the money. They made a self-serving decision to place revenue above anything else, and are now complaining because the other conferences aren't following suit.

Franklin isn't addressing the CFP committee, he's addressing the B10. He's asking the B10 to take a look at the structure, alignment, and scheduling, so that it becomes easier to get a team in.

The B10 didn't miss out the last 2 years because they lost to other conferences. They missed out because they lost to each other.

Franklin isn't addressing the CFP committee, he's addressing the B10. He's asking the B10 to take a look at the structure, alignment, and scheduling, so that it becomes easier to get a team in.

The B10 didn't miss out the last 2 years because they lost to other conferences. They missed out because they lost to each other.

I think he's really asking the Big Ten to change the divisions because that would almost certainly make it easier on him and his team. Do you really think he wants it to be easier for Ohio State to win the national championship?

Not hardly.

How does he think teams from other P5 Conferences make it into the playoff, since they also compete all season in tough conferences and divisions?
The setup of the big conferences are basically the same, the only variable is OOC scheduling.

When you play in a big conference, you have to beat other teams in your conference, not lose to them if you want to make it into the playoff.
If he's so scared of playing tOSU, Michigan or Michigan State, then he should take the Peds Independant like ND. Then he can schedule and play whomever he wants.

This entire discussion is beyond silly whining. Want to get in the playoff Jimmy? Just coach your players to win more!

Reactions: DiehardPanther
How does he think teams from other P5 Conferences make it into the playoff, since they also compete all season in tough conferences and divisions?
The setup of the big conferences are basically the same, the only variable is OOC scheduling.

When you play in a big conference, you have to beat other teams in your conference, not lose to them if you want to make it into the playoff.
If he's so scared of playing tOSU, Michigan or Michigan State, then he should take the Peds Independant like ND. Then he can schedule and play whomever he wants.

This entire discussion is beyond silly whining. Want to get in the playoff Jimmy? Just coach your players to win more!
He plays much, MSU and tosu every year in his division. He wants to play Iowa, Nebraska and Purdue instead.

He plays much, MSU and tosu every year in his division. He wants to play Iowa, Nebraska and Purdue instead.
Uh, Yeah?
So, he wants the conference to bust up the divisions and scramble the schedules so the Peds can play all the patsies? I'm sure the B1G is drawing up plans to placate the whiner as I type this.

They can make a big production out of it, Scheduling Day! Pick balls out like the lottery and randomly match teams every year! If the schedule isn't to his liking, Jimmy can veto it, and make them keep going until he gets to play the teams he wants.

LIke I said, go Indy and play whomever you want. Simple solution.

I would love to pay my "fair share" but the percentage of my income that goes to taxes is far higher than the top 1%. Put down the glue.

Of course you have to beat the teams in your division, but I think it's pretty much universally agreed upon that the B10 East is the most competitive division in college football.

What other division has 3 of the top 8 most winningest programs of all time? I think a little balancing would make them more like other divisions across college football.

Of course you have to beat the teams in your division, but I think it's pretty much universally agreed upon that the B10 East is the most competitive division in college football.

What other division has 3 of the top 8 most winningest programs of all time? I think a little balancing would make them more like other divisions across college football.
Then why doesn't the winner of this super division win the National Championship every year?
200.gif

You are a clown. The SEC is by far the best football conference, and the SEC West is by far the best division.

Are you serious? You really don’t understand this?

You don’t see how in state tax revenue is created with ticket sales, merchandise, parking, food, tv contracts, etc? These sports programs and the University should not be tax exempt while raising tuition. This is the point. Put more taxes on PITT, PSU, and Temple or have them generate taxable revenue. It’s one or the other.

Students should not have to pay for their tuition if we find means to tax people like you.

How does Penn State produce more "ticket sales, merchandise, parking, food, tv contracts, etc" by moving to the ACC?

lol, what planet are you from? The SEC West is universally agreed upon most competitive division by everyone that isn't delusional.

The B10 East is 3 good teams and some fodder, the SEC West has won 7 of the last 12 National Championships and appeared in 11 out of the 24 available spots during that period. Three SEC West teams are have appeared and won a championship during that time. Meanwhile Ohio State is the only B10 East team to play for a national championship in the last 30 years.

Ohio State is clearly the Alabama of the B10 East, so here are some stats.
OSU vs PSU - OSU won 8 out of last 10 games
OSU vs UM - OSU won 9/10
OSU vs MSU - OSU won 7/10

OSU vs top 3 competitors in B10 East = 80% win rate

BAMA vs AUB - BAMA 7/10
BAMA vs LSU - BAMA 8/10
BAMA vs TA&M - 6/7

BAMA vs 3 top competitors in SEC West = 78% win rate

Remind me again how much more "competitive" the B10 East is than the SEC West?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT