ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Teslas and other NIL news

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
A PSU fanboy has given 4 PSU players a Tesla to drive for 1 year. Mack Brown said Drake Maye was offered "a lot of money" by other teams despite never being in the portal. The Washington State coach said he has had head coaches reach out to his players, who were never in the portal. The UTSA coach asked in a press conference, how can he report tampering to the NCAA because teams are coming after his players.

College football absolutely has the most unregulated compensation system of any pro sport. It needs fixed.

But as we all know based on what we have seen time and time again, the NCAA is gutless and always gives in to the major football powers. Maybe that will change with the Massachusetts governor taking over?

Reactions: pbrad and Snyder412
But as we all know based on what we have seen time and time again, the NCAA is gutless and always gives in to the major football powers. Maybe that will change with the Massachusetts governor taking over?

I was thinking that but without trying to turn this thread political and without really knowing the guy, I would guess that he would want to "stay out" of this and be anti-regulation. Survival of the fittest. But as the governor of a blue state, he would have to be pretty moderate so maybe I'm wrong.

There absolutely has to be SOME enforceable regulation.

Ive gone from being extremely passionate to viewing the sport much like major league baseball.

Same here. I’m watching Pitt if we are winning, much like the Pirates where I used to watch/attend the games no matter our W-L record. Don’t care about the rest of college football where I used to watch other games. Now I spend more time watching NFL.

Now that multiple states’ laws are involved, nothing short of congressional intervention or the split of football and basketball from the NCAA will fix it.

Now that multiple states’ laws are involved, nothing short of congressional intervention or the split of football and basketball from the NCAA will fix it.

That's what everyone's hoping for.

Also, Narduzzi said 2 schools offered Maye $5 million.

Just more reasons not to watch college football or bowl games, including the CFP. Time to dismantle the sport entirely and start over. But with big money, big mouth, narcissistic donors out there that link their self-worth and prestige to some kids playing football, I think this will get worse going forward. It's sick.

There's something seriously wrong if someone who saves lives, like a heart surgeon or brain surgeon, or the head of our own government makes less than some spoiled brat playing college football.

Last edited:
I was thinking that but without trying to turn this thread political and without really knowing the guy, I would guess that he would want to "stay out" of this and be anti-regulation. Survival of the fittest. But as the governor of a blue state, he would have to be pretty moderate so maybe I'm wrong.

There absolutely has to be SOME enforceable regulation.
The new guy did go to college at Harvard, which views athletics differently than many other schools, so maybe that will influence his view. In contrast, I'm pretty sure current NCAA prez Emmert went to community college.

A PSU fanboy has given 4 PSU players a Tesla to drive for 1 year. Mack Brown said Drake Maye was offered "a lot of money" by other teams despite never being in the portal. The Washington State coach said he has had head coaches reach out to his players, who were never in the portal. The UTSA coach asked in a press conference, how can he report tampering to the NCAA because teams are coming after his players.

College football absolutely has the most unregulated compensation system of any pro sport. It needs fixed.
It IS fixed. It’s fixed in the sense that the schools are thrilled the players aren’t school employees and somebody else is paying them. So it isn’t changing anytime soon. The NCAA is the schools, remember. They are fine with the tampering and everything else no matter how sordid, as long as they don’t have to put players directly on the school payrolls.

Is there no spring transfer portal again this year? Addison was solidly remaining at Pitt at this point in time last year, too. Who knows if Maye doesn't like how spring ball goes with a new offensive coordinator, and the deal from another school gets upped to $6 or $7 mil, maybe those circumstances could be enough for him to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

PSU has to be pissed that this stuff is legal now. I worked with a guy who claimed to be a buddy of Curt Warner's who said that he had to teach Curt to drive a stick so that Curt could impress his friends back in WV by driving his new car around when they went back home from PSU the first time.

you have to give tOSU credit on the NIL handouts to players with cars from dealerships, they were doing this 15 years before everyone else.

Pryor had gotten speeding tickets in 6 months in 3 different cars from the same columbus dealership when he was at ohio state...

Reactions: cbpitt2 and Farnox
Just more reasons not to watch college football or bowl games, including the CFP. Time to dismantle the sport entirely and start over. But with big money, big mouth, narcissistic donors out there that link their self-worth and prestige to some kids playing football, I think this will get worse going forward. It's sick.

There's something seriously wrong if someone who saves lives, like a heart surgeon or brain surgeon, or the head of our own government makes less than some spoiled brat playing college football.
Often times, it's heart surgeons or neurosurgeons that are buying players and supplying them with extra benefits.

Last edited:

^^^penn state shill posts again

Reactions: Pittguy93
Bad idea giving enabler u players cars as that allows them to get out of crappy valley! Kinda like giving the inmates keys to the jail!

Just like the tOSU/UGA thing last week, I don't fully buy everything Narduzzi said either. I highly doubt Maye was offered $5 mil by anyone. And I highly doubt Pitt is anywhere close to as squeaky clean as he seems to want to portray. PItt has to be somewhat involved, or they wouldn't be able to sign some of the players they are.

I'm not sure this is as much a call for uniform rules as it is a plea for Pitt to step up the NIL game.

Just like the tOSU/UGA thing last week, I don't fully buy everything Narduzzi said either. I highly doubt Maye was offered $5 mil by anyone. And I highly doubt Pitt is anywhere close to as squeaky clean as he seems to want to portray. PItt has to be somewhat involved, or they wouldn't be able to sign some of the players they are.

I'm not sure this is as much a call for uniform rules as it is a plea for Pitt to step up the NIL game.

$5 million is market value so I believe him.

Dan Orlovsky also apparently heard about the offers.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Dan Orlovsky also apparently heard about the offers.

It was no secret that Bama was one of the schools trying to buy Maye. I just tend to think the people going public with this are exaggerating the dollar amount. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

Sam Hartman is going to get paid too. I'm thinking either Tennessee or Florida.

How much do you think Carolina ponied up to keep him at Chapel Hill?

On the ACC channel on SiriusXM the other day (so maybe it was on television as well) one of the people on there made the same point. I don't remember who it was, but they were saying something like that they heard he was offered $5 million to transfer but that he decided to stay. And he said, now how much money do you think Carolina offered him to keep him there? Because it was surely at least close to $5 million.

Reactions: TD_6082
Has Narduzzi ever been tactful with his comments? Look at what he just said about Jurkovec, intended or not, a clear shot at Slovis. He never keeps his mouth shut when it comes to his feelings. Last year he called out Lincoln Riley and I have little reason to doubt the accuracy of what he heard about Maye.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther

You’re bonkers

Has Narduzzi ever been tactful with his comments? Look at what he just said about Jurkovec, intended or not, a clear shot at Slovis. He never keeps his mouth shut when it comes to his feelings. Last year he called out Lincoln Riley and I have little reason to doubt the accuracy of what he heard about Maye.
And perhaps that is exactly what Narduzzi heard. I don't that. I just doubt that what he heard is actually true. Who do you think put that rumor out there?

Those teslas won’t be very useful without having home chargers

Maybe there's a Sheetz next door that has a charging station. There's one a couple hundred yard from where I live. Always thought if I had a Tesla I could go there, plug in, and walk home if I wanted.

Of course I don't have a Tesla, but I could.

Reactions: PittPharm2002

I’d bet that the trucks that Bowser gave to Pickett, Addison and Kancey are pretty close to the price of a Tesla. Just saying.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
It was no secret that Bama was one of the schools trying to buy Maye. I just tend to think the people going public with this are exaggerating the dollar amount. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

Sam Hartman is going to get paid too. I'm thinking either Tennessee or Florida.

Yea and as I said before about Hartman, I think he should sue the NCAA to stay in college for another 10 years or so. He's not an NFL QB but could make tens of millions in college.

Mack Brown and Derek Maye
Exactly. And its probably in their best interest to exaggerate the number for several reasons.

FWIW, The rumor going around a few weeks ago was $2 million. I know a guy in the talk radio biz in Knoxville that was repeating the rumor that Bama was desperately trying to recruit Drake Maye as fact. He never revealed his source publicly, but I know he's good friends with Watson Brown. So that's the figure leaked from Camp Carolina a few weeks ago & I would say that one was probably inflated too.

I’d bet that the trucks that Bowser gave to Pickett, Addison and Kancey are pretty close to the price of a Tesla. Just saying.

That was a car dealership giving those guys loaner cars, essentially. No sweat off their back. This is a fanboy who owns a construction company giving them use of Tesla's for no other reason other than he's a fanboy.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT