ADVERTISEMENT

Psyched for next year

So literally not every team finishes near their projection!?!?!? Interesting...
Yeah that’s what I said???

I’m saying a young team after a year of seasoning is likely going to exceed low expectations....they don’t know how to win now

Yeah that’s what I said???

I’m saying a young team after a year of seasoning is likely going to exceed low expectations....they don’t know how to win now

You've said Pitt is young. How young? Young relative to what teams? You've then said not every team improves, and so we shouldn't expect all the teams on Pitt's schedule to improve. But you haven't really given any reasons why the teams on Pitt's schedule next year, which are almost all better than Pitt this year, won't be the teams that improve. You've then said that Pitt will be the team that goes against the trend, and it will improve. You haven't said why, other than a DL becoming dominant for some reason.
Basically, you've turned the dial up for Pitt, turned it down or kept it the same for everybody else, and this has allowed you to get to 8 wins. And it would be great if football worked that way. But sadly, it doesn't.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Pitt is the 7th youngest power 5 team in the country and was the second youngest in the ACC after Duke. Michigan was the youngest overall, so Harbaugh should be fine if he sticks it out.

1. We will be better
2. but the schedule is a bear
3. we're trying to improve from likely a 4-8 type
year.
4. recruiting isn't inspirational to put it nicely

Albany, UCF, Duke, GaTech, Syracuse, Virginia, Wake Forest. VaTech is always a toss-up and is at home. UNC, who knows.

Miami, ND and PSU are ass kickings.

Pitt’s DL will turn dominant next year. Their secondary takes a big step forward next year. OL improves next year as does RB and QB.

I’m not a preview show for the ACC, but as I’ve said twice now and showed results, not every team improves year over year. 4-8 teams get better and get to 7 wins while 9 wins drop down to 7 wins. We’re in a roughly .580 league with Miami as the outlier since they got a real coach.
We should beat all those teams. But Narduzzi and coaching will cost us in two of those games. So I think 7-5 is probably the best we can expect.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
I am not proclaiming a national championship next year. Not even close. I think you misunderstood my post. Merely saying all these kids playing this year that look pretty good and making a game out of every game will be more confident, more experienced, bigger, better
Same with every other team. And not like our recruiting has been great to say we have all this young talent. Especially on offense.

We should beat all those teams. But Narduzzi and coaching will cost us in two of those games. So I think 7-5 is probably the best we can expect.

What’s wrong with 7-5? I’m fine with it next year having still a young team and a Sophomore qb. Sounds like natural progression for a really good year in 2019 right?

I'm not sure that talent is the issue!

I more concerned that coaching is!

They two aren't mutually exclusive.
I think people saying we "should" win all of those games are delusional. But, even if that was the case, our talent level is about at the level of most of the teams on our schedule. Maybe a little big better at this unit, little worse at that unit. But largely a wash.
It's EXTREMELY difficult to win all the games you "should" win when you don't have a talent advantage. Ask the teams in the Big XII. When everybody recruits in the same tier, you're going to exchange wins and losses with those teams.
That's why the same teams are always there at the end, Miami was capable to turn it around within 2 years of hiring a real coach, and every year people are asking is this the year Okie State punches through?

What’s wrong with 7-5? I’m fine with it next year having still a young team and a Sophomore qb. Sounds like natural progression for a really good year in 2019 right?
That would be fine. I think our floor is 5 wins and ceiling is 7 wins. But we can't go two seasons in a row without a bowl game.

Reactions: cashisking884
I'd bet on us being 5-7, but a much better chance we are 3-9 than 7-5.

There is no young talent you can point to on offense with an expectation of big things and so essentially everything hinges on Pickett being great, but who knows if HCPN will even play him. If O'Neil leaves the OL will likely be bad.

On D, we are going to lose Whitehead and we aren't sure what else we have at S. LB seems like it will still be short on talent. The DL should be younger and hopefully improve, but no one looks great and nothing is coming in we should expect to boost the team.

Reactions: cashisking884
The thing about our Freshman and the Freshman on the other teams in the ACC, our guys are getting tons of playing time.

This thread isn't just about the offense. Pinnock,Wheeler, Mathis, Miller and Morrissey. If you throw in all of the sophs our young guys are getting playing time. I forget about Davis.

I can see us going 8-4 or better next year. Defense playing better, and our line will be bigger and stronger. Offense, I thought would be worse, but now I dont. Pickett, Hall, Mathews, line will have holes (to fill, not to run through).

I thought we would get romped today. With the game, although heart stompingly depressing, lots of positives.

Go Pitt
The key to next year will be the development of our QB’s. I would say 8-5 next year is a good possibility at this point.

This thread isn't just about the offense. Pinnock,Wheeler, Mathis, Miller and Morrissey. If you throw in all of the sophs our young guys are getting playing time. I forget about Davis.
Ok, so we are talking about 2nd and 3rd year players, too? Most teams play those guys just as much. Heck, Miller has barely played at all.

Reactions: rockypanther
First off recruiting... history says Narduzzi hasn’t in three years had all his best prospects by Nov 19... no last year or the year before...it’s almost irrelevant

Second getting a better record next year should not hinge on recruiting you haven’t even completed yet... that’s absurd... if you are expecting true freshman to be the bulk of improvement you’re nuts to begin with...

I’m talking about kids on the field now who haven’t yet figured how to win consistently... they will improve... Narduzzi showed in his first two years he was capable of not losing every close game

Last it’s obvious to anyone losing Conner Peterman etc hurt this team ... it’s also obvious the defense has improved... we didn’t see any Cuse games other than OK State early...

As someone else pointed out above Pitt is very young and young teams usually have a rough time figuring ways to win over ways to lose

As for definite win definite loss I’m not saying that in fact I wouldn’t be surprised by a goofy ass year that makes no sense

Reactions: Teh Teh
Same with every other team. And not like our recruiting has been great to say we have all this young talent. Especially on offense.

Not the "same" as every other team really. We were the 7th youngest in the power five and 2nd youngest in the ACC. Not every team is some uniform curve of 20 freshmen, 20 sophomores, 20 juniors, and 20 seniors.

We should improve more than most of our opponents, but we are also starting from a lower point than most of them to begin with. For example, UCF next year is a really hard game to predict. They lose a lot more seniors than we do, but they're also a lot better than us right now. So what's that Vegas line look like? Too early to say.

Not the "same" as every other team really. We were the 7th youngest in the power five and 2nd youngest in the ACC. Not every team is some uniform curve of 20 freshmen, 20 sophomores, 20 juniors, and 20 seniors.

We should improve more than most of our opponents, but we are also starting from a lower point than most of them to begin with. For example, UCF next year is a really hard game to predict. They lose a lot more seniors than we do, but they're also a lot better than us right now. So what's that Vegas line look like? Too early to say.
UCF should return 16 starters next year. They certainly may have a new HC, but they return their starting QB, RB, TE, and all WRs, plus 3 of 5 on the OL. They return their leading tackler and their entire DB group. They also return their starting P and K. So, they likely have more returning starters than we do.

Only one of those guys has done anything this year. I know the HC has a man crush on Morrissey but we need a better center next year.

Some of those guys have potential but its just that until they actually become play makers on the field.

First off recruiting... history says Narduzzi hasn’t in three years had all his best prospects by Nov 19... no last year or the year before...it’s almost irrelevant

Second getting a better record next year should not hinge on recruiting you haven’t even completed yet... that’s absurd... if you are expecting true freshman to be the bulk of improvement you’re nuts to begin with...

I’m talking about kids on the field now who haven’t yet figured how to win consistently... they will improve... Narduzzi showed in his first two years he was capable of not losing every close game

Last it’s obvious to anyone losing Conner Peterman etc hurt this team ... it’s also obvious the defense has improved... we didn’t see any Cuse games other than OK State early...

As someone else pointed out above Pitt is very young and young teams usually have a rough time figuring ways to win over ways to lose

As for definite win definite loss I’m not saying that in fact I wouldn’t be surprised by a goofy ass year that makes no sense

Please god let this Retards read this post

Good post, it's exactly what I'm thinking .

We do seem to have some young offense talent with the line, Pickett, Davis/sibley and butler, reeves... almost every position has a 4 star recruit that's a freshman now

Please god let this Retards read this post

Good post, it's exactly what I'm thinking .

We do seem to have some young offense talent with the line, Pickett, Davis/sibley and butler, reeves... almost every position has a 4 star recruit that's a freshman now

I also think we need to keep a coaching in tact for a few years to stabilize the program

The key to next year will be the development of our QB’s. I would say 8-5 next year is a good possibility at this point.

I would agree. I think Pickett can salvage a few games with his playmaking abilities. He has the skills that we usually see other QBs doing against us every game. Which is a pleasant thing to witness.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
UCF, GaTech and Wake are the money games IMO. All 3 are clearly better than us at this moment. All are losing more key personnel than we are. Having a young team is cool if that youth is making plays along with their youthful mistakes. Ours have the market cornered on the mistakes part but positive plays have been far too infrequent. If our youngsters make a very un-Pitt-like progression in the next few months, all three of the above games go from likely loss to likely win and we go from sub-.500 to being a bowl team again. The problem: I've been a Pitt fan for decades. I've never seen young talent progress in this program like some are hoping and assuming for next year.

UCF, GaTech and Wake are the money games IMO. All 3 are clearly better than us at this moment. All are losing more key personnel than we are. Having a young team is cool if that youth is making plays along with their youthful mistakes. Ours have the market cornered on the mistakes part but positive plays have been far too infrequent. If our youngsters make a very un-Pitt-like progression in the next few months, all three of the above games go from likely loss to likely win and we go from sub-.500 to being a bowl team again. The problem: I've been a Pitt fan for decades. I've never seen young talent progress in this program like some are hoping and assuming for next year.
I get UCF is likely losing their coach, but why does everyone keep saying they are losing so much? They should return 16 starters, including all of their skill players and starting QB on offense, plus 3 of 5 on the OL. On defense they get back their entire DB corps and their leading tackler. They lose a lot on their DL, but that is pretty much it.

I get UCF is likely losing their coach, but why does everyone keep saying they are losing so much? They should return 16 starters, including all of their skill players and starting QB on offense, plus 3 of 5 on the OL. On defense they get back their entire DB corps and their leading tackler. They lose a lot on their DL, but that is pretty much it.

Plus they are beating us in recruiting lately , so their young guys are better as well.

Look at the roster of 105 listed about 75 are freshmen,rs freshmen, soph or rs soph so it is a real young team. Pitt had a vacuum at quarterback. Defense is getting better so things look positive.

I hope that some of you are not gamblers. While it's true that 3-star guys can turn out to be better than 4-star guys if coached up, it doesn't happen before their redshirt junior years most of the time. Conner was a big exception. 8-5 is a huge reach. 6-6 is most likely, but it could be worse than that if things don't fall into place.

Somebody important is going to get hurt. They always do. Depth is the biggest problem going forward, for the time being. Hopefully it's not Pickett. Hopefully it's not Wirginis, who I think is a very very important piece of the puzzle for next year. Hopefully it's not anybody who is starting in the secondary, because they will be quite thin.

Trying to guess outcomes at this early point is pointless and is always too optimistic.

I hope that some of you are not gamblers. While it's true that 3-star guys can turn out to be better than 4-star guys if coached up, it doesn't happen before their redshirt junior years most of the time. Conner was a big exception. 8-5 is a huge reach. 6-6 is most likely, but it could be worse than that if things don't fall into place.

Somebody important is going to get hurt. They always do. Depth is the biggest problem going forward, for the time being. Hopefully it's not Pickett. Hopefully it's not Wirginis, who I think is a very very important piece of the puzzle for next year. Hopefully it's not anybody who is starting in the secondary, because they will be quite thin.

Trying to guess outcomes at this early point is pointless and is always too optimistic.

Mr. Positive at it again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT