ADVERTISEMENT

QB Recruiting

4 Star QB's over the last 20 years

2002 – Tyler Palko – Rivals

2003 – Joe Flacco – He’s only a 3-star player, so he won’t amount to anything.

2007 – Pat Bostick – Rivals

2008 - Tino Sunseri – ESPN

2010 – Mark Myers – Rivals

2012 – Chad Voytik – Rivals

2013 – Tra’von Chapman – Rivals

2013 – Tom Savage – Rivals – Transfer

2015 – Nate Peterman – Rivals – Transfer

2017 – Max Browne – Rivals – Transfer

2019 – Davis Beville – Rivals

2020 – Joey Yellen – 24/7 - Transfer

Note: Phil Jurkovec wanted to transfer to Pitt, but Narduzzi couldn't promise him the starting gig..

But even those QBs eventually get spread around.

People in this thread keep making the same tired point: big time schools tend to monopolize the 4* talent at the high school level.

I disagree with that to the extent it means we shouldn’t be expected to land a 4* QB once ever 4 recruiting cycles at least.

But I do agree that big time schools take a lot of them.

The problem is that even the lesser schools tend to land them more frequently than we do. Are you telling me that G5 schools like Cinn. and SMU can expect to land 4* QBs now and then out of high school, but that’s just beyond the ability of the Pitt program? Just stop.

And while it may be true that the big time programs get them at the high school level, lower schools do frequently get them when they transfer right away. Utah’s QB room is currently stacked with them. Why can Utah expect that but we can’t?

It seems like most P5 schools have a turn when it comes to landing highly coveted QBs. Even some G5s. Whether that be on the high school trail or a big time QB that has transferred relatively early so he isn’t still considered a bust yet. We, under Narduzzi, are one of those rare teams that never gets that turn.

And to me it’s a problem.
Pitt landed Peterman & Browne, (a 4 & 5 star) However, since that time, Pickett pretty much nailed down the starting job. I don't think many highly ranked transfers are looking to transfer in to a school where they don't feel like they have a great chance to start.

If Pitt doesn't get production out of one of the current guys on roster next year & fail to land a transfer, I'll agree that it's a problem. As of today, I'm not that concerned.

I think we’re talking about QBs regardless of style. But FWIW 24/7’s own, non-composite rankings had Ol’ Yellen as the 29th ranked pro style QB. Interestingly they had Beville ranked higher as the 18th pro styler.

Yellen isn’t even built like an athlete let alone a P5 QB. Kinda reminds me of Bostick in that way. The first time you see the guy in pads and before he even takes the field it’s like, “this is our 4 star QB?” 24/7 l’s ranking was way more accurate than the composites.

Ok, I was simply replying to Dan's post with the list I thought he was referencing. And Yellen was a consensus 4 star, which is what we're talking about.

Yellen had fallen to a middle of the road 3* when he hit the transfer portal.

https://247sports.com/college/pitts...erPortalPositionRanking/?institutionkey=24034

And I don’t really care what emergency strategies they need to come up with to mitigate their inability to land a QB with any kind of QB ranking every single cycle. What tactics they should adopt in light of that or how success it can be, is a separate discussion.

My only point is how disappointing it is and how shocking it is. You go through every team’s recruiting class cycles and most P5 schools aren’t this bottom of the barrel at QB in the rankings. That’s my only point. Well, that and that it’s a problem.

But QB isn't the problem. KP is more than serviceable enough as a college QB. He'd look a lot better in Miami's offense with their skill position players. My guess is he'd look as good or better than King. We won't know what's behind him until they play.

Take your pick of other places to complain about on offense, but QB is the least of Pitt's concern.

Last edited:
Back to 2019 and it proves an interesting analysis. Both Rivals and 247 had the same 2 5* and they also agreed on 18 4*. 247 had 8 4* that Rivals had lower ranked. Of those 8, 1 is a starter, 1 is now a running back, 3 transferred, and 3 are down the depth chart. Rivals had 3 4* that were lower ranked by 247. All 3 are down the depth chart.

I actually would rate Rivals as the better source.
Congrats on finding 247. Rivals is fine but the composite is better because it looks at Rivals, ESPN, and 247 and comes up with an average.

Congrats on finding 247. Rivals is fine but the composite is better because it looks at Rivals, ESPN, and 247 and comes up with an average.
I'll stick with Rivals. I think they do a better job. I have no reason to visit 247 ever again.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Ok, I was simply replying to Dan's post with the list I thought he was referencing. And Yellen was a consensus 4 star, which is what we're talking about.
Not to keep this going becuse it's pointless, but Ol' Yellen was a 3 star and ranked #59 QB, #29 pro style on 24/7. #22 pro style and a 3 star on Rivals. Not sure where the Pitt media guide got #9 on 24/7 pro style, but it's off by 20 spots and I assume it's a typo. So not consensus 4 star by any means.

Back to 2019 and it proves an interesting analysis. Both Rivals and 247 had the same 2 5* and they also agreed on 18 4*. 247 had 8 4* that Rivals had lower ranked. Of those 8, 1 is a starter, 1 is now a running back, 3 transferred, and 3 are down the depth chart. Rivals had 3 4* that were lower ranked by 247. All 3 are down the depth chart.

I actually would rate Rivals as the better source.
Once again you're looking at the 24/7 composite rankings which are a combination of Rivals, 24/7 and ESPN, and not the actual 24/7 rankings. 24/7 has its own individual ranking system which appears as "TOP247" on the 24/7 search page. I think you'll find those rankings to be substantially different than the composite rankings, starting with the fact that 24/7 only had one QB rated as a 5 star in 2019--Rattler.

Not to keep this going becuse it's pointless, but Ol' Yellen was a 3 star and ranked #59 QB, #29 pro style on 24/7. #22 pro style and a 3 star on Rivals. Not sure where the Pitt media guide got #9 on 24/7 pro style, but it's off by 20 spots and I assume it's a typo. So not consensus 4 star by any means.
It's in the link I posted previously, and I should have used composite rather than consensus. He was a composite 4* coming out of high school and ranked the #9 pro style QB in the 247 composite rankings.

I agree it's pointless because he's probably 4th in the pecking order at this point.

Once again you're looking at the 24/7 composite rankings which are a combination of Rivals, 24/7 and ESPN, and not the actual 24/7 rankings. 24/7 has its own individual ranking system which appears as "TOP247" on the 24/7 search page. I think you'll find those rankings to be substantially different than the composite rankings, starting with the fact that 24/7 only had one QB rated as a 5 star in 2019--Rattler.
Since the composite was the original talking point raised by cashisking (and no one ever specifically changed it, I thought that was the appropriate source. If you want to change the source, I will redo the analysis when I get a chance.

Im talking about *this* staff.

Browne wasn’t a breakthrough. Nobody wanted him. He wasn’t a big time portal land. He was a 5* that would be a 3* if reassessed when he committed to us. That’s not a win on the trail.

Beville was an okay ranked 3* in the 247 composite.

You're wasting your time. Facts mean nothing. You can also throw in Tino Sunseri as well. ESPN had him as a 4 star player. 80 and above is considered a 4 star player according to ESPN...

You also forgot to mention Mark Myers, another 4 star QB

EDIT: I just remembered another one:

How many is that so far?????

He’s for sure wasting his time, as I’ve already said I’m referring to *this* staff.

I agree that Pitt is not the “woe is us” program people are pretending we are and actually landing a 4* QB is too much for us to expect.

Pitt landed Peterman & Browne, (a 4 & 5 star) However, since that time, Pickett pretty much nailed down the starting job. I don't think many highly ranked transfers are looking to transfer in to a school where they don't feel like they have a great chance to start.

If Pitt doesn't get production out of one of the current guys on roster next year & fail to land a transfer, I'll agree that it's a problem. As of today, I'm not that concerned.

Browne was not a 5* by the time we landed him. He wasn’t even a 4*. That’s why we landed him.

Reactions: pittdan77
Since the composite was the original talking point raised by cashisking (and no one ever specifically changed it, I thought that was the appropriate source. If you want to change the source, I will redo the analysis when I get a chance.
Up to you. It only matters if you genuinely want to compare which recruiting site has a better track record of how their rankings shake out. You made the comment above that Rivals was more accurate about this 2019 QB class than 24/7, but you based that conclusion on the wrong data. The composite is not 24/7's own rankings, it's an amalgamation of the "Big 3" ranking services.

Up to you. It only matters if you genuinely want to compare which recruiting site has a better track record of how their rankings shake out. You made the comment above that Rivals was more accurate about this 2019 QB class than 24/7, but you based that conclusion on the wrong data. The composite is not 24/7's own rankings, it's an amalgamation of the "Big 3" ranking services.
I used the same info being discussed by others, as I already mentioned. Using 247 rankings, they had only 1 4* QB that Rivals did not also have. That player transferred. So it appears the 2 ranking sites were a wash.

But then less highly ranked guys have to be even more of a crap shoot. And that’s what we have on the roster. It’s just that we are amongst a relatively few P5 schools in how bare our QB acquisition is, across all levels. We aren’t ever even in it for a QB approaching a 4* ranking, both at the high school and transfer level.

And Browne was obviously not a 5* when we brought him in. That’s why we got him. If Browne had been beaten out as like a rFR and then transferred, getting him would have been far more impressive.
Great post!

Got to say you’ve been nailing every post here in this thread.

I will add that a big part of the problem with the lack of talented QBs at Pitt recently stems from the OCs Pitt has had recently.. Chaney and (especially) Canada were not just MUCH BETTER OCs at Pitt than Watson and Whipple but they were far better at recognizing that QB who had a high upside and then developing that talent once they land him.

Unlike Browne, Peterman had ALL of the tools to be a very good D1 QB. Forgetting his issues with accuracy for a second, Browne was extremely slow at dropping back and getting rid of the ball and he simply didn’t have it in him to get better at those things.

Peterman was a sponge with such desire to to fix anything that would make him better. He was amazing at embracing criticism at Pitt, knowing there was truth to be found in every unflattering comment. He never dismissed negative remarks about his most recent performance like other QBs would. He would take it in and go work on those trouble areas and get better. By the next game, he would usually show improvement. So many other Pitt QBs talked about putting in the work to get better, but never really embraced criticism or focused enough on their true weaknesses.

Part of that is lack of drive to find excellence and part of that has to do with their OC (Watson or Whipple) actually knowing how to help them improve - if that QB was really even capable of much improvement.

I can not say from what I’ve seen so far that I have confidence in Whipple bringing in the next Peterman or the next Palko. Why? We should have them on the team right now and we aren’t seeing any hints of it in the backups . PN talks as if every QB he and his staff lands is going to be the next Marino. Yet, they’ve almost all ended up being busts. Yellen has looked awful and Beville has looked pedestrian, though not really been given as many opportunities. Patti has preformed the best of the backups but he is short and not particularly athletic and appears to be playing at his ceiling. He is not a bad back up to have on the roster, but Pitt need someone better- a legitimate high level D1 playmaking QB who can win games and not just manage them.

It should not be viewed as acceptable that we are not seeing such a QB on the roster other than Kenny. Every player on the Pitt roster and every coach on the staff underachieving need to be called out until they admit to all of the very obvious elephants in the room. Peterman would be the first person to admit to the things he wasn’t doing well and then turn around and prove he has it in him to get much better at those things. He went from 20 TDs to 27 TDs in his two years at Pitt. Kenny went from 12TDs to 13TDS to 13TDs in his three years. It’s not all on Kenny, but it is not like we are talking about a fluke year for him. Those numbers have held steady for 3 years. Even if Kenny could somehow match Peterman’s 27 TDs in his senior year, who else on the roster looks like they could be even remotely close to achieving that number?

Last edited:
Im talking about *this* staff.

Browne wasn’t a breakthrough. Nobody wanted him. He wasn’t a big time portal land. He was a 5* that would be a 3* if reassessed when he committed to us. That’s not a win on the trail.

Beville was an okay ranked 3* in the 247 composite.

Nailed it

Great post!

Got to say you’ve been nailing every post here in this thread.

I will add that a big part of the problem with the lack of talented QBs at Pitt recently stems from the OCs Pitt has had recently.. Chaney and (especially) Canada were not just MUCH BETTER OCs at Pitt than Watson and Whipple but they were far better at recognizing that QB who had a high upside and then developing that talent once they land him.

Unlike Browne, Peterman had ALL of the tools to be a very good D1 QB. Forgetting his issues with accuracy for a second, Browne was extremely slow at dropping back and getting rid of the ball and he simply didn’t have it in him to get better at those things.

Peterman was a sponge with such desire to to fix anything that would make him better. He was amazing at embracing criticism at Pitt, knowing there was truth to be found in every unflattering comment. He never dismissed negative remarks about his most recent performance like other QBs would. He would take it in and go work on those trouble areas and get better. By the next game, he would usually show improvement. So many other Pitt QBs talked about putting in the work to get better, but never really embraced criticism or focused enough on their true weaknesses.

Part of that is lack of drive to find excellence and part of that has to do with their OC (Watson or Whipple) actually knowing how to help them improve - if that QB was really even capable of much improvement.

I can not say from what I’ve seen so far that I have confidence in Whipple bringing in the next Peterman or the next Palko. Why? We should have them on the team right now and we aren’t seeing any hints of it in the backups . PN talks as if every QB he and his staff lands is going to be the next Marino. Yet, they’ve almost all ended up being busts. Yellen has looked awful and Beville has looked pedestrian, though not really been given as many opportunities. Patti has preformed the best of the backups but he is short and not particularly athletic and appears to be playing at his ceiling. He is not a bad back up to have on the roster, but Pitt need someone better- a legitimate high level D1 playmaking QB who can win games and not just manage them.

It should not be viewed as acceptable that we are not seeing such a QB on the roster other than Kenny. Every player on the Pitt roster and every coach on the staff underachieving need to be called out until they admit to all of the very obvious elephants in the room. Peterman would be the first person to admit to the things he wasn’t doing well and then turn around and prove he has it in him to get much better at those things. He went from 20 TDs to 27 TDs in his two years at Pitt. Kenny went from 12TDs to 13TDS to 13TDs in his three years. It’s not all on Kenny, but it is not like we are talking about a fluke year for him. Those numbers have held steady for 3 years. Even if Kenny could somehow match Peterman’s 27 TDs in his senior year, who else on the roster looks like they could be even remotely close to achieving that number?
Pitt doesn't have anywhere near the talent as the 2016 team offensively. Kenny also had 3 fewer games in 2020 compared to 2019.

Pitt doesn't have anywhere near the talent as the 2016 team offensively. Kenny also had 3 fewer games in 2020 compared to 2019.
So give Kenny those three games. He has what, 16 TDs instead of 13. Come on. I get that the offense around him isn’t what it ought to be, but it is an excuse that has been made for his entire career here.

Whose fault is it that we do not have nearly the talent on offense? Why are there zero PItt QBs ready to take over for Kenny next year. Whose fault is it that there has been a dearth of talent at TE since Orndoff graduated? Whos fault is it that the OL has been struggling the past few years? Whose fault is it that we haven’t had an effective stable of RBs since Ollison and Hall graduated? Someone has be accountable. Right? Enough with “we can’t do this because of (X)”… let’s just see some improvement already

So give Kenny those three games. He has what, 16 TDs instead of 13. Come on. I get that the offense around him isn’t what it ought to be, but it is an excuse that has been made for his entire career here.

Whose fault is it that we do not have nearly the talent on offense? Why are there zero PItt QBs ready to take over for Kenny next year. Whose fault is it that there has been a dearth of talent at TE since Orndoff graduated? Whos fault is it that the OL has been struggling the past few years? Whose fault is it that we haven’t had an effective stable of RBs since Ollison and Hall graduated? Someone has be accountable. Right? Enough with “we can’t do this because of (X)”… let’s just see some improvement already

How do you know who is ready and who isn't ready to take over for a starting QB the following year? Not just for Pitt, but for many teams in college football.

What could you possibly know about the ability of Patti or Bevell to take over the team next year? I get that neither was a big time recruit, but until these guys actually play nobody knows.

Who is ready to take over at UNC for Howell or at Miami for King? A few years ago we had people touting Hendon Hooker at VT and Jarren Williams at Miami as future stud Coastal QBs along with Howell.

How do you know who is ready and who isn't ready to take over for a starting QB the following year? Not just for Pitt, but for many teams in college football.

What could you possibly know about the ability of Patti or Bevell to take over the team next year? I get that neither was a big time recruit, but until these guys actually play nobody knows.

Wait a minute… Did you miss the three games Kenny was out last season? Did you not see that Yellen, Patti and Beville did “actually play” in his absence during those games. It’s not like Kenny is going to be around another year and I recall when Kenny got his chance early on at Pitt at least he showed he had grit and determination. Maybe one of the QBs will have the ability to step up (I hope so)- but they haven’t. So either they don’t have what it takes to be a very good QB at the D1 level or they are still working out nerves or they aren’t clicking with their OC. No matter how you slice it, it is not a good looking situation - at least not at the moment.

In response to your “How do you know who is ready” remark… just recently Whipple said that Yellen and Beville have not shown enough to secure the back up position and so Patti is the back up right now. I am not suggesting Patti is a terrible QB (he has been somewhat solid when given a chance) but it would amaze me if you or any Pitt fan felt completely comfortable with that level of play being Pitt’s ceiling for the starting QB next season.

Last edited:
But QB isn't the problem. KP is more than serviceable enough as a college QB. He'd look a lot better in Miami's offense with their skill position players. My guess is he'd look as good or better than King. We won't know what's behind him until they play.

Take your pick of other places to complain about on offense, but QB is the least of Pitt's concern
Really?

How did you feel during those three games Kenny went down last year? I know I wasn’t feeling good. If Kenny stays healthy, then, yes, there are other areas to worry about.

Your guess about Kenny being better than King says you do have faith when no evidence has been shown. Kenny was hardly amazing last season. Yes, everyone wants to talk about the weak O-line and the poor performance by the RB and TE: All true by the way… but just because there are excuses available as to why Kenny was not racking up a bunch of TDs the past 3 years, doesn’t mean he would do so if the running game and Oline were a bit better. It is just a hunch at this point. What Kenny has proven so far is that he has poise, grit and tenacity: traits that are indeed invaluable for a starting QB.

Now let’s see if he throws downfield a little more this season… if he’s a little more accurate… if he’s better at seeing some of those wide open receivers he wasn’t aware of last season… if he finishes more drives with a TD… if he can throw more than 20TDs… if he embraces criticism (like Peterman did when he got better)… if he gets more involved in reading defenses and calling his own audibles to gain the edge. Let’s see him come in and “Will his team to win” a few more times this year. He certainly doesn’t deserve much of the blame for the issues with the offense, but he is the leader of the offense and the expectations he has for himself and everyone else on the offense should be sky high. Kenny obviously has the potential. This is the year to prove he can answer the bell, rally his troops and deliver better results on the filed and in the win column this coming season.

Last edited:
Really?

How did you feel during those three games Kenny went down last year? I know I wasn’t feeling good.of Kent stays healthy, then, yes, there are other areas to worry about.

tour guess about Kenny being better than King says you do have faith when no evidence has been shown. Kenny was hardly amazing last season. Yes, everyone wants to talk about the weak Online and the poor performance by the RB and TE: All true by the way… but just because there are excuse available as to why Kenny was not racking up a bunch of TDs the past 3 years, doesn’t mean he would do so if the running game and Oline were a bit better. It is just a hunch at this point. What Kenny has proven so far is that he has poise, grit and tenacity: traits that are indeed invaluable for a starting QB.

Now let’s see if he throws downfield a little more this season… if he’s a little more accurate… if he’s better at seeing some of those wide open receivers he wasn’t aware of last season… if he finishes more drives with a TD… if he can throw more than 20TDs… if he embraces criticism (like Peterman did when he got better)… if he gets more involved in reading defenses and calling his own audibles to take advantage this season. Let’s see him come in and “Will his team to win” a few more times this year. He certainly doesn’t deserve much of the blame for the issues with the offense, but he is the leader of the offense and the expectations he has for himself and everyone else on the offense should be sky high. Kenny obviously has the potential. This is the year to prove he can answer the bell, rally his troops and deliver better results on the filed and in the win column this coming season.

My issue isn't with Kenny, he is serviceable, it's not too much to ask to win 9 games this year , anything less than 9 would be a disappointment in year 7, easiest schedule in 50 plus years

Really?

How did you feel during those three games Kenny went down last year? I know I wasn’t feeling good.of Kent stays healthy, then, yes, there are other areas to worry about.

tour guess about Kenny being better than King says you do have faith when no evidence has been shown. Kenny was hardly amazing last season. Yes, everyone wants to talk about the weak Online and the poor performance by the RB and TE: All true by the way… but just because there are excuse available as to why Kenny was not racking up a bunch of TDs the past 3 years, doesn’t mean he would do so if the running game and Oline were a bit better. It is just a hunch at this point. What Kenny has proven so far is that he has poise, grit and tenacity: traits that are indeed invaluable for a starting QB.

Now let’s see if he throws downfield a little more this season… if he’s a little more accurate… if he’s better at seeing some of those wide open receivers he wasn’t aware of last season… if he finishes more drives with a TD… if he can throw more than 20TDs… if he embraces criticism (like Peterman did when he got better)… if he gets more involved in reading defenses and calling his own audibles to take advantage this season. Let’s see him come in and “Will his team to win” a few more times this year. He certainly doesn’t deserve much of the blame for the issues with the offense, but he is the leader of the offense and the expectations he has for himself and everyone else on the offense should be sky high. Kenny obviously has the potential. This is the year to prove he can answer the bell, rally his troops and deliver better results on the filed and in the win column this coming season.
I didn't feel good because our backup was thrown in against ND and Miami. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I though Patti was battling some injuries last year. Beville wasn't ready to play, nd I think we found out what Yellen likely is.

My point is that most teams don't know what they have behind an established starter.

I'm far from a Pickett apologist and have been critical of his inability to stand in the pocket and find open receivers. Some of that is on the OL, some on Whipple, but also on him. I also realize he's lacked gamebreakers and any type of running game. That being said, he's more than capable of throwing for 20+ TDs and running for another 6 or 7. They need to run him more. Would be nice for Izzy to step up and have another receiver or maybe Krull for the D to worry about. Has to be more than Addison.

I didn't feel good because our backup was thrown in against ND and Miami. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I though Patti was battling some injuries last year. Beville wasn't ready to play, nd I think we found out what Yellen likely is.

My point is that most teams don't know what they have behind an established starter.

I'm far from a Pickett apologist and have been critical of his inability to stand in the pocket and find open receivers. Some of that is on the OL, some on Whipple, but also on him. I also realize he's lacked gamebreakers and any type of running game. That being said, he's more than capable of throwing for 20+ TDs and running for another 6 or 7. They need to run him more. Would be nice for Izzy to step up and have another receiver or maybe Krull for the D to worry about. Has to be more than Addison.

Eh. It’s not like QBs come out of nowhere and a fan base just holds its breath and hopes for the best.

Somebody that is going to be a dude, usually has all the insiders buzzing before he ever starts a game. He has shown enough for people to say, “this guy, he’s the guy.”

Look at Krull. Everybody on this board is taking turns giving him handys, and have been since the spring. And the reason is because every coach and insider is saying he’s a dude. Even though he hasn’t really ever stepped on the field. We all get that that type of buzz from every corner surrounding the team, usually means something. As does that lack of buzz.

It’s the same thing at QB. It’s not a coincidence that last year was the year OU didn’t take a transfer at QB. They knew, even though it was all practice, they had their stud of the future.

Eh. It’s not like QBs come out of nowhere and a fan base just holds its breath and hopes for the best.

Somebody that is going to be a dude, usually has all the insiders buzzing before he ever starts a game. He has shown enough for people to say, “this guy, he’s the guy.”

Look at Krull. Everybody on this board is taking turns giving him handys, and have been since the spring. And the reason is because every coach and insider is saying he’s a dude. Even though he hasn’t really ever stepped on the field. We all get that that type of buzz from every corner surrounding the team, usually means something. As does that lack of buzz.

It’s the same thing at QB. It’s not a coincidence that last year was the year OU didn’t take a transfer at QB. They knew, even though it was all practice, they had their stud of the future.
Who are the non-starting QBs "dudes" for each team in the ACC Coastal? Is Pitt unique in in the Coastal in not having a "dude"?

I'm more open minded on Yellen. He played really well in his start against USC when he was at ASU. Thrown in as a backup against Miami & ND in a Covid year without a lot of reps. It would be highly disappointing if he were the same QB next year as what we saw last year.

Not saying he's the man, but at the same time, I wouldn't write him off either.

Reactions: singregardless

Yeah, I get that. But plenty have also been cautious of expecting too much out of Krull because he's never done it. I get Rattler too because he was one of, or the top QB in his class.

I'm sure Miami and UNC are going to be wondering who their guy is once Howell and King are gone.

I'm more open minded on Yellen. He played really well in his start against USC when he was at ASU. Thrown in as a backup against Miami & ND in a Covid year without a lot of reps. It would be highly disappointing if he were the same QB next year as what we saw last year.

Not saying he's the man, but at the same time, I wouldn't write him off either.
He also didn't look very good in the spring game. Was that an indication of his ability, or a function of not working with all first team offensive players? I don't know.

I feel a little better about Kenny’s approach this year after watching the last Kenny Pickett show podcasts. He does seem like he is going to really challenge his teammates which is something you hope to see out of a veteran starting QB. Also, it’s funny that I posted about hoping to see him get more involved in his own play calling - and then I saw that he touched on hoping to convince Whipple to let him do more of that too. He is saying many of the things that ahow he is dialing in on the little details that can make him and the team better.. All good. Let’s hope it pays off. It sure would be good for him to prove he can throw 20 or more TDs. 28 puts him in 2nd behind Marino.

I would counter your “Most teams don’t know what they have behind the established starter” comment with “When there is a truly special young QB on the roster, often something special is seen or felt that has the coaches and teammates and even fans knowing he is going to be ‘the guy’ one day.”

Long before Kenny got the call as the starter, there was buzz that he was going to be “the guy”

Before Palko took over, there was buzz that he was going to be “the guy”.

Almost as soon as Marino’s freshman season began there was buzz that it was just a matter of time before he would be “the guy”

Transfer are obviously a little trickier, but even with Peterman there was just something about Nate where you felt “This might be the guy.”

At least at this point, there is no backup on the roster any of us or any of the coaches are going -“That’s going to be the guy.”

One other thing: Kenny was asked on the latest episode of his show who he thought would take over for him. He was very diplomatic, since he is close with them all… but you also got the feeling he no one has truly distanced himself.

There simply sn’t that guy who we all are overly excited about. That needs to happen during camp or early in the season (to me Beville looks to have the most upside) otherwise (if I were Whipple or PN), I would seriously be looking to transfers to cover my ass,

Last edited:
I feel a little better about Kenny’s approach this year after watching the last Kenny Pickett show podcasts. He does seem like he is going to really challenge his teammates which is something you hope to see out of a veteran starting QB. Also, it’s funny that I posted about hoping to see him get more involved in his own play calling - and then I saw that he touched on hoping to convince Whipple to let him do more of that too. He is saying many of the things that ahow he is dialing in on the little details that can make him and the team better.. All good. Let’s hope it pays off. It sure would be good for him to prove he can throw 20 or more TDs. 28 puts him in 2nd behind Marino.

I would counter your “Most teams don’t know what they have behind the established starter” comment with “When there is a truly special young QB on the roster, often something special is seen or felt that has the coaches and teammates and even fans knowing he is going to be ‘the guy’ one day.”

Long before Kenny got the call as the starter, there was buzz that he was going to be “the guy”

Before Palko took over, there was buzz that he was going to be “the guy”.

Almost as soon as Marino’s freshman season began there was buzz that it was just a matter of time before he would be “the guy”

Transfer are obviously a little trickier, but even with Peterman there was just something about Nate where you felt “This might be the guy.”

At least at this point, there is no backup on the roster any of us or any of the coaches are going -“That’s going to be the guy.”

One other thing: Kenny was asked on the latest episode of his show who he thought would take over for him. He was very diplomatic, since he is close with them all… but you also got the feeling he no one has truly distanced himself.

There simply sn’t that guy who we all are overly excited about. That needs to happen during camp or early in the season (to me Beville looks to have the most upside) otherwise (if I were Whipple or PN), I would seriously be looking to transfers to cover my ass,
I'm not sold on any of those guys yet, but not willing to write them off either. Yarnell might be in the mix next year too. I definitely think they will be looking to the transfer market. They would be foolish not to, imo.

Some of it is bad timing. Rod Rutherford and Tyler Palko were 4-star recruits who did well at Pitt. You aren’t going to turn either one down to bring in Bruce Gradkowski who happened to be a good college QB as well. Tony Zimmerman was a stud QB coming out of PT and a big-time get. Marc Bulger was hurt and didn’t even become a full-time starter until his Sr. You aren’t going to tell Zimmerman we don’t want you and then roll the dice on a guy who was unknown at the time.
Opinions are always easy in hindsight.

Who are the non-starting QBs "dudes" for each team in the ACC Coastal? Is Pitt unique in in the Coastal in not having a "dude"?

I don’t know.

Howell had a lot of buzz right away from UNC fans.

UVA fans were telling everybody that Armstrong was going to be really good.

Little to no buzz from VT fans about Patterson, and he flopped.

Lots of people talking about how Van Dyke and Garcia both look like future studs with King out this spring at Miami.

I just dont’ think it’s true that it’s all a giant mystery as to what you have coming up.

Or put another way: I’m not saying that buzz and rave reviews means you have ”the guy.” But you know when you have someone that can be “the guy,” and a lack of buzz and insider talk usually means somebody isn’ the guy. Studs usually just don’t come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
I don’t know.

Howell had a lot of buzz right away from UNC fans.

UVA fans were telling everybody that Armstrong was going to be really good.

Little to no buzz from VT fans about Patterson, and he flopped.

Lots of people talking about how Van Dyke and Garcia both look like future studs with King out this spring.

I just dont’ think it’s true that it’s all a giant mystery as to what you have coming up.

Or put another way: I’m not saying that buzz and rave reviews means you have ”the guy.” But you know when you have someone that can be “the guy,” and a lack of buzz and insider talk usually means somebody isn’ the guy. Studs usually just don’t come out of nowhere.
Your last line is correct. Studs also don't generally serve as backups for very either. That's certainly true at non-bluebloods like Pitt and and 120 other schools.

ADVERTISEMENT