Quick after game thoughts

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
I thought Brown looked like a player at times

Stevenson played very well

Frame made his layups today, still not hitting his threes

Davis played OK

Stewart played OK - Needed to be more aggressive on offense - showed he is more than a stand still shooter.

Carr was hampered by fouls

Kene and Milligan were overmatched. - Peace is not ready. He is not strong enough, gets pinned under the basket and does not get enough rebounds that he gets his hands on.

Need to turn the ball over less and get the rebounds and loose balls that should be ours.

Gave up way too many points on cuts to the basket.

Hard to compete with Luther out and Carr plagued with fouls.

Marginally encouraged about ACC play going forward.

Last edited:
It wasn't just fouls hampering Carr. He just wasn't good at all.

That was a very flat, frankly very beatable Miami team that we should have played better against. That end of run at the half was a killer.
I think we get caught up watching what teams do on the offensive end and then judge their beatability based on that. I imagine many fan bases said that about the Jamie Dixon Pitt Big East teams. And then came home with a loss. That Miami defense was good and our young players and JUCO transfer struggled with it.

Davis played OK

Stewart played OK

Kene and Milligan were overmatched. - Peace is not ready. He is not strong enough, gets pinned under the basket and does not get enough rebounds that he gets his hands on.

Need to turn the ball over less and get the rebounds and loose ball that should be ours.

Stallings and our staff need to help Milligan out bringing the ball up the floor. Who didn't see that offensive foul coming?

I agree about Miami's defense. They were really quick to the ball, pressured the ball, and seemed to always have their long arms in the lanes. I don't think some of you are giving them enough credit. Really athletic. Reminded me of some of pitinos Louisville teams that always were like gnats even if they lacked true basketball players

Stallings needed to recruit another point with his 11 scholarships to give.

I mean, we did recruit Thompson. I still think Carr would be best off the ball, would be great if Kingsby could come in and play right away. Still don't quite buy that Carr has the handle for an above-average ACC PG, but he's a good passer, a much better shooter than I figured.

Reactions: bobfree and gary2
I like Brown's instincts around the basket, even if the results aren't there yet. He seems awkward and plays like he is still overthinking his next move. He could be a very solid center down the road, especially if he can hit short to mid range shots with any regularity.

What truly amazes me still is the posts that start he should’ve recruited blah blah .....don’t you think KS and his entire staff are well aware of the teams needs .
Pitt needs ..A 7 ft center who can control the lane on both ends of the court who can also shoot threes , rebound and block shots
They need two 6 ft 7-10 in forwards one with bulk and the other with hops who both can shoot , rebound ,drive and defend
They need a a pg who can control the game etc .....
Everybody including KS knows what they NEED ,

Reactions: pbrad
What truly amazes me still is the posts that start he should’ve recruited blah blah .....don’t you think KS and his entire staff are well aware of the teams needs .
Pitt needs ..A 7 ft center who can control the lane on both ends of the court who can also shoot threes , rebound and block shots
They need two 6 ft 7-10 in forwards one with bulk and the other with hops who both can shoot , rebound ,drive and defend
They need a a pg who can control the game etc .....
Everybody including KS knows what they NEED ,
I said the same thing about Dixon - not enough guards - poor roster distribution - everyone 6-5 to 6-7

My after game thought is that game played out pretty much how I expected. Miami physically was too much and no shots were easy. Without Luther it was going to be twice as hard.

Reactions: bobfree and gary2
Stallings and our staff need to help Milligan out bringing the ball up the floor. Who didn't see that offensive foul coming?

Wilson Frame seems to be better bringing the ball up the court. I would let him bring it across the line and then pass it off to Milligan to start the set. When Carr is in the game, I would switch off between the two of them depending on what the defense presents. Carr handling most of the load though.

Davis played OK

Stewart played OK - Needed to be more aggressive on offense - showed he is more than a stand still shooter.

Need to turn the ball over less and get the rebounds and loose balls that should be ours.

Unfortunately, nothing about this game raised my level of encouragement (nor did my level of discouragement increase).

The next three are going to be very difficult. It would be good to see us compete in any of the three at a higher level than today.

The bigger hope is that Ryan will be back and firing on all cylinders against Ga Tech on the 13th. I like to see that as our first ACC win.

Disappointed that we could not score during the time that Miami must have turned the ball over 5 times in a row. That was when the score was 18-19 for about five minutes. Make a few buckets and stay in the game. Not quality shots by our boys.

Unfortunately, nothing about this game raised my level of encouragement (nor did my level of discouragement increase).

Mine either.

Miami actually didn't play all that well today. And they were ahead by 20 points when they took their foot off the gas. That wasn't a good result at all, unless all you are doing is looking at the box score and thinking hey, 14 points, it could have been a lot worse. Because when it mattered it was worse.

As something of a counterpoint to Gary's good feelings, Stewart spent much of the game completely overmatched. He had four points in the first 23 minutes of the game, and then when the game was far out of reach he hit three shots. Before that he was 1-4 from the field, 4 points 1 rebound, 0 assists, 2 turnovers in about 22 minutes. That's just not good enough.

We need Carr on the court more (as today clearly showed), but when he was in there he did not play well at all. 0 points in 22 minutes. We really need him to be a lot better than he was today.

Nine minutes into the game Brown had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 block. 31 minutes of game time later Brown had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 block. He completely disappeared. And the worst part is that not only is he not one of those rim protectors that we sorely need, when guys drive to the basket for the most part he doesn't even try to block shots. He is more likely to back out of the way than he is to go hard after a block in that situation.

We saw a little bit of what I was worried about with Davis today. I said earlier that he looks like a pretty good defensive player but of course level of competition. Well today the level of competition was certainly higher, and while he did some good things on defense he also let his man drive the ball right past him as if he were wearing cement shoes on several occasions. He's got to be better, especially if he is going to lead the team in minutes played like he did today.

Maybe chalk it up to too high expectations on my part, but I really thought Wilson-Frame would be better than he is. He doesn't shoot the ball particularly well, he really isn't a very good rebounder, and he doesn't really have that good a handle. Don't get me wrong, this team would be much worse off without him, but I was expecting better than what we've got. Maybe that's my fault.

The last several weeks we've been saying on here.....let's wait until the ACC games and then we'll see what we have. I can't imagine anyone is surprised by what we saw today.
First of all it looked like men vs boys, or maybe the varsity vs the jv team.
Turnovers, being outrebounded, being out of position, trouble at the point against
real pressure, inconsistent play in all facets, etc. etc. We've seen that all year so far,
and of course this was all on display today as it should have been against superior,
experienced players who are also older agewise. The difference was Miami is not like
the mostly low mid level teams we've played, and they were able to take advantage of us.

Despite all this, I'm not all that disappointed, because most of us expected this once
ACC games started. Throw in the loss of Luther, and it's even a worse case scenario.
My guess is we'll play much better next game, and at times against other ACC teams we'll revert back to play like what we saw today. We all want improvement, and I expect we'll
see it while also taking steps backwards like today.

Reactions: gary2 and Fsgolfdr
Mine either.

Miami actually didn't play all that well today. And they were ahead by 20 points when they took their foot off the gas. That wasn't a good result at all, unless all you are doing is looking at the box score and thinking hey, 14 points, it could have been a lot worse. Because when it mattered it was worse.

As something of a counterpoint to Gary's good feelings, Stewart spent much of the game completely overmatched. He had four points in the first 23 minutes of the game, and then when the game was far out of reach he hit three shots. Before that he was 1-4 from the field, 4 points 1 rebound, 0 assists, 2 turnovers in about 22 minutes. That's just not good enough.

We need Carr on the court more (as today clearly showed), but when he was in there he did not play well at all. 0 points in 22 minutes. We really need him to be a lot better than he was today.

Nine minutes into the game Brown had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 block. 31 minutes of game time later Brown had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 block. He completely disappeared. And the worst part is that not only is he not one of those rim protectors that we sorely need, when guys drive to the basket for the most part he doesn't even try to block shots. He is more likely to back out of the way than he is to go hard after a block in that situation.

We saw a little bit of what I was worried about with Davis today. I said earlier that he looks like a pretty good defensive player but of course level of competition. Well today the level of competition was certainly higher, and while he did some good things on defense he also let his man drive the ball right past him as if he were wearing cement shoes on several occasions. He's got to be better, especially if he is going to lead the team in minutes played like he did today.

Maybe chalk it up to too high expectations on my part, but I really thought Wilson-Frame would be better than he is. He doesn't shoot the ball particularly well, he really isn't a very good rebounder, and he doesn't really have that good a handle. Don't get me wrong, this team would be much worse off without him, but I was expecting better than what we've got. Maybe that's my fault.
Your expecting too much too soon . One of the ways you improve is by playing and practicing against better players . Well they’re now getting to play against better players unfortunately they really can’t practice against them . Improvement will come , but not overnight .

The next three are going to be very difficult. It would be good to see us compete in any of the three at a higher level than today.

The bigger hope is that Ryan will be back and firing on all cylinders against Ga Tech on the 13th. I like to see that as our first ACC win.

Louisville will be extremely tough - I hold out some hope against Vir,Tech - Duke forget it

I am going to the Geo.Tech game - I thought it might be one of our best four chances for a home win.

Mine either.

I guess there are two ways of looking at things.

One would be we played a good team with 7 returning players and two top rated recruits and for the first 15 mins of the game we hung in there. We played mostly freshmen. Our point guard (and key healthy player) only got to play 22 minutes.

We saw our 9 new players play at least as well as our veteran team did last season.
Their largest lead was 21 and ended up 14. Last year their largest lead was 28 and ended up 26.

Stevenson had 16, Frame 13, Stewart 12 and Davis 7 and we scored 28 points in the paint. Four of those players are freshmen.

Last season M.Young had 2, Jeter 3, Cam Johnson had 8, C.Jones 10 and Artis 15 and we scored 20 points in the paint. None of those players were freshmen and I believe they all played on our last tournament team.

Miami has the second best defense in the ACC and for the most part, I did not think our freshmen were intimidated. We had one horrible stretch that took us out of the game. I saw a lot of flashes that indicate we might be somewhat competitive in other ACC games against lesser competition, particularly if Luther comes back healthy and Carr plays his normal 34 minutes.

As far as Stewart (my favorite player), I was disappointed he did not try to be more assertive in the 1st half. Say what you want, he had 12 points (and they weren't all on stand still wide open threes) I said there is more to his game than you have seen. You are starting to see it now. Remember he is a freshman.

Last edited:
I guess there are two ways of looking at things.

One would be we played a good team with 7 returning players and two top rated recruits and for the first 15 mins of the game we hung in there. We played mostly freshmen. Our point guard (and key healthy player) only got to play 22 minutes.

We saw our 9 new players play at least as well as our veteran team did last season.
Their largest lead was 21 and ended up 14. Last year their largest lead was 28 and ended up 26.

Stevenson had 16, Frame 13, Stewart 12 and Davis 7 and we scored 28 points in the paint. Four of those players are freshmen.

Last season M.Young had 2, Jeter 3, Cam Johnson had 8, C.Jones 10 and Artis 15 and we scored 20 points in the paint. None of those players were freshmen.

Miami has the second best defense in the ACC and for the most part, I did not think our freshmen were intimidated. We had one horrible stretch that took us out of the game. I saw a lot of flashes that indicate we might be somewhat competitive in other ACC games against lesser competition, particularly if Luther comes back healthy and Carr plays his normal 34 minutes.

As far as Stewart (my favorite player), I was disappointed he did not try to be more assertive in the 1st half. Say what you want, he had 12 points (and they weren't all on stand still wide open threes) I said there is more to his game than you have seen. You are starting to see it now. Remember he is a freshman.

Regarding Stewart....well, he ain't my "favorite player" LOL...BUT I respect your judgement. We all know he can shoot, I've often mentioned on here....a pure
shooter, good technique, etc. He also is improving in that he's not just standing
around like a statue, but is putting the ball on the floor, and looking to create and
also getting into the flow of the offense.
The reason I'm not as enthused as you about him is is lack of a floor game, and
a total lack of understanding on defense (bad even for a frosh). If we charted him over the course of the game, mistakes vs shots made, and all the little things that can't be charted, like getting beat off the dribble that leads to a team mate fouling or leading to a basket, you might see a negative return on his floor presence.
Anyway, I'm hoping that what you like in him comes to fruition.

Regarding Stewart....well, he ain't my "favorite player" LOL...BUT I respect your judgement. We all know he can shoot, I've often mentioned on here....a pure
shooter, good technique, etc. He also is improving in that he's not just standing
around like a statue, but is putting the ball on the floor, and looking to create and
a total lack of understanding on defense. If we charted him over the course of the game,
mistakes vs shots made, and all the little things that can't be charted, like giving up
the first step that leads to a team mate fouling or leading to a basket, you might see
a negative return on his floor presence.

I'd feel more strongly about Parker had he not shot 31% from three through the non conference season. I agree that the technique looks nice but the ball needs to go in before one can actually call him a pure shooter.

Hopefully he'll heat up in ACC play to raise my expectations.

Reactions: sonofabit
a total lack of understanding on defense (bad even for a frosh). If we charted him over the course of the game, mistakes vs shots made, and all the little things that can't be charted, like getting beat off the dribble that leads to a team mate fouling or leading to a basket, you might see a negative return on his floor presence.
I do not know how accurate the advanced stat defensive rating is, but Stewart has a better defensive rating than Frame, Carr and Milligan.

It wasn't just fouls hampering Carr. He just wasn't good at all.

That was a very flat, frankly very beatable Miami team that we should have played better against. That end of run at the half was a killer.

I think you’re a very good poster, one of the best on the site. But much like DT this year even when you try to be impartial, you’re not. Miami didn’t look “flat” to me, we took the early part of the game to them. We were more energized and better prepared. But because of our talent level, we have difficulty scoring at times. It’s easier for teams like Miami to get baskets when they are in cold spells then it is for us. Especially when our best player is on the bench. Beside the final two minutes of the first half we played a top 15 even. That’s a win for a young team.

Stallings still has work to do and hasn’t sold me that he is the answer to turn this program back to where it was, but this team showed me more then it didnt today.

I do not know how accurate the advanced stat defensive rating is, but Stewart has a better defensive rating than Frame, Carr and Milligan.

Milligan and Carr are far better defensively. Anyone who knows basketball and uses the eye
test which picks up the subtle things that can't be charted clearly sees it.
Here's another way you have to be careful with stats.....you can bet the ranch that Stallings
is assigning Stewart to the worst player on the opposition, while Milligan and Carr are drawing much tougher assignments....THAT in itself has a direct correlation to outcomes that are charted.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Milligan and Carr are far better defensively. Anyone who knows basketball and uses the eye
test which picks up the subtle things that can't be charted clearly sees it.
Here's another way you have to be careful with stats.....you can bet the ranch that Stallings
is assigning Stewart to the worst player on the opposition, while Milligan and Carr are drawing much tougher assignments....THAT in itself has a direct correlation to outcomes that are charted.

I guess my eye misses those subtle things.

I remember John Johnson always getting the tougher cover so Ashton could have the easier guy, yet everyone said John Johnson was a horrible defensive player.

Reactions: mbrannagan
I remember John Johnson always getting the tougher cover so Ashton could have the easier guy, yet everyone said John Johnson was a horrible defensive player.

Yup. my point exactly, and that's EXACTLY why you have to be careful with stats.
Stats are black and white.....but just as in life where the the real world is often grey,
it is often so in the basketball world as well.

I think you’re a very good poster, one of the best on the site. But much like DT this year even when you try to be impartial, you’re not. Miami didn’t look “flat” to me, we took the early part of the game to them. We were more energized and better prepared. But because of our talent level, we have difficulty scoring at times. It’s easier for teams like Miami to get baskets when they are in cold spells then it is for us. Especially when our best player is on the bench. Beside the final two minutes of the first half we played a top 15 even. That’s a win for a young team.

Stallings still has work to do and hasn’t sold me that he is the answer to turn this program back to where it was, but this team showed me more then it didnt today.

So why is your opinion impartial but mine is not?

Reactions: levance2
I'd feel more strongly about Parker had he not shot 31% from three through the non conference season. I agree that the technique looks nice but the ball needs to go in before one can actually call him a pure shooter.

Hopefully he'll heat up in ACC play to raise my expectations.

True DT, we all want to see the "pure" shooting in a game, but he
definitely has the "stroke." We won't argue over semantics, but here's one for ya...
imagine how tough he'd be in a game of HORSE. LOL

True DT, we all want to see the "pure" shooting in a game, but he
definitely has the "stroke." We won't argue over semantics, but here's one for ya...
imagine how tough he'd be in a game of HORSE. LOL

I'm sure he'd be a horse CHAMP!

1) Our group really enjoyed being in the Zoo, and they should do the family and friends of students promo more often.
2) I like Stevenson’s potential, and enjoy watching him play.
3) They must rebound better and be more aggressive. Get on the floor for loose balls.
4) We need to prevent opposing teams from getting the ball in so deep. Too many easy bunnies.

I did not think our freshmen were intimidated.

Yeah, Dick Groat mentioned that a couple of times on the post game show. At least the first time it was worth a good chuckle. We weren't intimidated playing a home game against Miami. Wow! Next step, national championship!

Reactions: Chescat
Mine either.

-Carr only took 4 shots. I dont know why he doesnt shoot more. He also had 5 assists and was +5 in the boxscore. Obviously we need him. And another impact point guard badly.

Miami didn’t look “flat” to me, we took the early part of the game to them.

I wouldn't say they were flat, I'd say they simply weren't playing well. And yet they still held us to 19 points in the first half and were beating us by 11. The game was close for a while, most of the half even, but once Miami stopped playing crappy and started playing reasonably well they blew us away.

If Miami plays all year the way they did in the first half they not only will not finish as the number 15 team in the country, they won't even be close to that. That's the difference between us and a good team right now. When we play a good team they can play well less then their best and easily beat us. If we play much less than our best we have basically no chance. And that's what happened today. A good team played well less than their best, but we didn't play anywhere close to our best either so we lost by a pretty large margin.

ADVERTISEMENT