ADVERTISEMENT

Quips coach

gourdt

Walk-on
Nov 9, 2009
I don't live in the area so I'm not familiar with the situation, but what's up with the quips coach? Saw they are voting to keep him or not. Did he do something wrong or is it just money? Also, would pitt be able to find/make some kind of position for him?

I don't live in the area so I'm not familiar with the situation, but what's up with the quips coach? Saw they are voting to keep him or not. Did he do something wrong or is it just money? Also, would pitt be able to find/make some kind of position for him?
He probably pissed some parents. If 5 of them managed to get elected to the school board he is out.

He probably pissed some parents. If 5 of them managed to get elected to the school board he is out.
That's the word on the street. There is someone out there that has been wanting to be the coach there and they got tired of waiting and got 5 of his buddies elected to the board and blam!

Reactions: smittypgh
The community thinks he all of a sudden is unable to coach. Basically because he’s not winning WPIAL Titles. Losing to South Fayette and Quaker Valley this past year was final nail in coffin. Word during the season is he was going to retire....not sure why he hasn’t.

I’m reading Raines/Quip community Twitter and they’re saying that the media isn’t getting a lot of it right. Apparently they support the decision to oust him.

Still, you don’t treat a coach of his caliber like that. He deserves to stay as long as he’d like.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
It’s official. 7-2 in favor or letting him go. What a shame. Wouldn’t it be funny if their program falls a couple notches now? If you fire a legend, you better have a pretty good hire to replace him.

It’s official. 7-2 in favor or letting him go. What a shame. Wouldn’t it be funny if their program falls a couple notches now? If you fire a legend, you better have a pretty good hire to replace him.
I hope it falls apart.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate to see a legendary coach go out like this, but for the sake of their football program, I hope Aliquippa makes the right hire. I've seen it with high school programs and as we've seen with Pitt basketball, the wrong hire can destroy a program.

If there's a legit reason for his outing so be it. I've never been a fan though of school board members randomly calling a meeting one night to vote on keeping the coach or not. You should have to actually show valid reasoning for the coache's ousting, whether it be drug use in the locker room, hazing incidents, etc. or even something like the coach getting physical with players.

It's become too easy though in this day and age for a coach to be fired because the school board president's 5'3" son is the 5th string qb when he shouldn't even be playing sports at all.

Alan Sanders and Paul zeise are going at it. I won't pretend to know the situation but Sanders is implying there is more to the story.

I am in fumes right now and I’m not even from Aliquippa. He was what was keeping that program, school, and town together for as long as it has been. He’s supposed to play coach, teacher, and mayor? The man has done nothing but help as many kids as he could for 50+ years and he gets fired because little Johnny didn’t get playing time or was held accountable for something. I do hope there’s a legitimate reason for this because this politics at its lowest.

If I was him, I’d go to Quaker Valley immediately and lead them to another WPIAL title over the Quips next year. But he won’t do that because he has too much class for that. He’ll still be a Quip through and through and that’s too bad because they don’t deserve him.

Alan Sanders and Paul zeise are going at it. I won't pretend to know the situation but Sanders is implying there is more to the story.

More like what? The that school board member didn’t say anything about there being “more” to it. I guarantee they’re pissed off they lost the last couple finals, and there’s an assistant who thinks he can do better.

More like what? The that school board member didn’t say anything about there being “more” to it. I guarantee they’re pissed off they lost the last couple finals, and there’s an assistant who thinks he can do better.

Don't mistake...i am not agreeing with Sanders. I think he sounds like a dope here

One thing I didn't hear or read was a room full of current and former players speaking out for their coach. That is pretty telling. However, just because they aren't there supporting him doesn't mean coach did anything wrong, it could just be a different type of player that wants a different coach. Raines also seemed to indicate his coach didn't nominate him for the Big 33 game.

One thing I didn't hear or read was a room full of current and former players speaking out for their coach. That is pretty telling. However, just because they aren't there supporting him doesn't mean coach did anything wrong, it could just be a different type of player that wants a different coach. Raines also seemed to indicate his coach didn't nominate him for the Big 33 game.

Coach Z is hard on them and some don’t like it now, but maybe they’ll appreciate it later. I can’t speak to nominating anyone for anything, but I’m pretty sure everyone knows who the good players are at Aliquippa and they get plenty of notoriety

How quickly did this come about? I think I saw something yesterday. Perhaps the kids simply didn't know

Coach Z is hard on them and some don’t like it now, but maybe they’ll appreciate it later. I can’t speak to nominating anyone for anything, but I’m pretty sure everyone knows who the good players are at Aliquippa and they get plenty of notoriety

You hope some will appreciate it later, but sadly some won't. Here's Raines' comment:

1) It’s Saunders not Sanders

2) He always claims “more to the story” and has zero follow up. Alan was a tough talker in HS too.

Now it makes sense...his team gave up 44 points...ALL YEAR!

Aliquippa Quips
2017 Varsity Football
Overall12-1-0
League6-0-0

RECORD BREAKDOWN
Overall
12-1
Win %
League
6-0
Home
6-0
Away
5-0
Neutral
1-1
Point For
Point Against

Its pretty sickening the priority winning at the highest level has taken in high school sports. You wanna bitch about tomlin not winning another super bowl since 08 with all that talent, that's reasonable. But you're gonna hold a high school coach at a public school to a higher standard than "just one state title". That is beyond laughable.

Again, I don't know if there are issues we have yet to hear publicly. But so far it's a really bad look for the school when all we know for sure so far is the school board made this decision and they feel like he hasn't won enough.

ADVERTISEMENT