ADVERTISEMENT

Quips coach

Here's more from that idiot Lowe from this trib article. They will get what they deserve.

Lowe said Zmijanac wasn’t adequately involved in the college recruiting process, citing his son’s experiences from the late-1990s, and insisted that Zmijanac didn’t distribute mail from college coaches. But Lowe also expressed criticism that Zmijanac hadn’t played high school football himself, and that the Quips had won only one state football championship during his tenure.

“It’s been building for awhile,” Lowe said of the board’s decision. “Twenty-one years. Yeah, he’s got a nice record, but he didn’t play one down. He didn’t run one touchdown. He didn’t work out at none of the practices. He had all them coaches who played in college, they were qualified to do it. He never played football. He never went to school for football. He didn’t do any of that, but he gets all the credit by using our kids to get his record to 500 wins and say he’s this great man.

“But that’s only part of it. To deal with kids, you have to deal with their whole life. Spirit, soul, body. You’ve got to deal with their lifestyle, their home life, all of that, because these kids are working their butts off to make you look good. How do they get appreciated? By throwing their letters in the garbage?”

Reactions: ratking17
Here's more from that idiot Lowe from this trib article. They will get what they deserve.

Lowe said Zmijanac wasn’t adequately involved in the college recruiting process, citing his son’s experiences from the late-1990s, and insisted that Zmijanac didn’t distribute mail from college coaches. But Lowe also expressed criticism that Zmijanac hadn’t played high school football himself, and that the Quips had won only one state football championship during his tenure.

“It’s been building for awhile,” Lowe said of the board’s decision. “Twenty-one years. Yeah, he’s got a nice record, but he didn’t play one down. He didn’t run one touchdown. He didn’t work out at none of the practices. He had all them coaches who played in college, they were qualified to do it. He never played football. He never went to school for football. He didn’t do any of that, but he gets all the credit by using our kids to get his record to 500 wins and say he’s this great man.

“But that’s only part of it. To deal with kids, you have to deal with their whole life. Spirit, soul, body. You’ve got to deal with their lifestyle, their home life, all of that, because these kids are working their butts off to make you look good. How do they get appreciated? By throwing their letters in the garbage?”
My goodness, just imagine if Z did play football. De La Salle's streak would have nothing on the Quips. Maybe if he played a down of football, he would've been able to bring back the steel mills and get everyone off the corners.

This dude is obviously an ignorant moron. He has an obvious agenda. Can’t wait till they find out how badly they f**cked up on this one. Good luck to the guy who will be expected to do a better job than Zmijanac has done.

This dude is obviously an ignorant moron. He has an obvious agenda. Can’t wait till they find out how badly they f**cked up on this one. Good luck to the guy who will be expected to do a better job than Zmijanac has done.
Just from what I've read, their plan is obvious:

- Had a vendetta for Z since his son didn't make it to Sundays. Blamed it on him.
- Did everything in their power to get him out.
- Replace him with a relative of someone on the school board.

It was so predictable from the beginning.

Reactions: BBrown
Just from what I've read, their plan is obvious:

- Had a vendetta for Z since his son didn't make it to Sundays. Blamed it on him.
- Did everything in their power to get him out.
- Replace him with a relative of someone on the school board.

It was so predictable from the beginning.
Bring that Board in to run the Pitt Ath Dept.
Seems they got the right stuff.

One thing I didn't hear or read was a room full of current and former players speaking out for their coach. That is pretty telling. However, just because they aren't there supporting him doesn't mean coach did anything wrong, it could just be a different type of player that wants a different coach. Raines also seemed to indicate his coach didn't nominate him for the Big 33 game.
School boards have ways to keep people from speaking out. They don’t need random people off the street to tell them that Zmijanac has won 237 games in 21 years and has had his teams in the WPIAL finals 11 strait years playing two classes up. Look for Aliquippa to drop to single A in the next cycle then brag about what a great hire they made.

If there's a legit reason for his outing so be it. I've never been a fan though of school board members randomly calling a meeting one night to vote on keeping the coach or not. You should have to actually show valid reasoning for the coache's ousting, whether it be drug use in the locker room, hazing incidents, etc. or even something like the coach getting physical with players.

It's become too easy though in this day and age for a coach to be fired because the school board president's 5'3" son is the 5th string qb when he shouldn't even be playing sports at all.

It happend at mon valley catholic...kinda. A new head coach hired and immediately announces to the team his 5’4” freshman son will BE the starting qb in the fall. Kid absolutely sucked. I really didn't care as I played a different sport, but felt bad for my friends on the team. I regularly outdueled him in pe and i never played qb a day in my life. Lol.

Coaching in western pa is a lot of political bs. Joe Ravasio was one hell of a coach, but politics upended him. Ringgold is a typical coach by politics bs machine. They got rid of Ravasio and they immediately sucked for years.

This is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read.

There is nothing more moronic than “you never played the game” guy. They are all literally window lickers.

It happend at mon valley catholic...kinda. A new head coach hired and immediately announces to the team his 5’4” freshman son will BE the starting qb in the fall. Kid absolutely sucked. I really didn't care as I played a different sport, but felt bad for my friends on the team. I regularly outdueled him in pe and i never played qb a day in my life. Lol.

Coaching in western pa is a lot of political bs. Joe Ravasio was one hell of a coach, but politics upended him. Ringgold is a typical coach by politics bs machine. They got rid of Ravasio and they immediately sucked for years.
Yeah lol that's kind of the opposite of what I was saying, but yes similar (and quite funny that there actually was a 5'4" quarterback.) But anyways on the flip side of not a school board member's son vying unsuccessfully to start, but a coaches son actually starting, that could be a reason brought up at a meeting to get the coach out of there. You make a good point about the politics and that's the thing, the school board should be looking to make sure politics don't get involved, instead they almost always look to make sure politics are involved.

This would be good news for Pitt

It sounds like they just wanted Sean Gilbert to be coach. I am sure he was telling the board that he played in the NFL and knows more about football than Coach Z and has been working behind the scenes politicking for the job. Gilbert and his nephew Revis are royalty in Aliquippa having made over 150 million dollars. The Quips have a significant talent advantage in almost every game they play, and if Gilbert really is the coach, I don't see this as being some disastrous move. They didn't need to make up all the BS excuses and slander Coach Z's name though.

Reactions: Chaos
It has been common knowledge that Z has been far too lax in the recruitment game. He's always been like that. Its a legit criticism. Yanessa was similar. There is more to the story however. There is too much politics and social justice crap in that district. There aren't any good guys in this story. I promise you that Yanessa and Z had a nice toast and a bottle of champagne somewhere to celebrate doing it their way and escaping that hole with their lives. I'm sure that had the weather been better, there would've been house parties and maybe a parade in Quippa last night as well.

As for Saunders, I know that at least one person associated with that site has intimate knowledge of all the crap that has gone on in Aliquippa for decades. That person would never be able to print it or be a public source. I'm betting they've said things off-the-record that Saunders is alluding to. That passes for journalism today.

I also don't think that Gilbert being the coach is very good for Pitt and frankly, that may be for the best. Aliquippa won't even be among the top 10 talent producers in the WPIAL over the next 10 years and the baggage hasn't been worth the trouble even in the recent past when they have been a talent mine. Distancing ourselves from them may actually help with some of the better local programs.

Even funnier than a 5'4" high school QB was the 5'5" guard for Bradford who tried to block Sean Gilbert of Aliquippa when the two teams met in the first state football playoff game at Sharon High way back in 1988.

It sounds like they just wanted Sean Gilbert to be coach. I am sure he was telling the board that he played in the NFL and knows more about football than Coach Z and has been working behind the scenes politicking for the job. Gilbert and his nephew Revis are royalty in Aliquippa having made over 150 million dollars. The Quips have a significant talent advantage in almost every game they play, and if Gilbert really is the coach, I don't see this as being some disastrous move. They didn't need to make up all the BS excuses and slander Coach Z's name though.

If you google Sean Gilbert net worth it says it’s only 400k. Maybe he just needs a job.

If you google Sean Gilbert net worth it says it’s only 400k. Maybe he just needs a job.
Sean Gilbert said he had a revelation from God to hold out for 4.5 million. I guess God should have told him to hold out for more..

Does the community expect a football coach to do a father's job?

If so, what about the majority of the kids who don't play football? Is it okay if they end up on a street corner?
Aliquippa is a cess pool. the endless circle of poverty, drugs and crime are based on multiple reasons, none of which have anything to do with the high school football coach.

he was at one time the highest paid defensive player in NFL history, now he's here. And this is who Aliquippa wants shaping the minds and bodies of their youth? this should turn out well.

Not sure how or when he lost his fortune (assuming that web site is accurate) but Aliquppia was not good enough for him to move to the area for his son's career but it is now good enough for him to move back to coach?

Also just because you played the game at a high level, doesn't mean you can coach it. Let's face reality being a HS coach is more about getting teenage boys to work together for a common purpose more than x's and o's. There is enough talent there but can he be a leader there is the question.

Not sure how or when he lost his fortune (assuming that web site is accurate) but Aliquppia was not good enough for him to move to the area for his son's career but it is now good enough for him to move back to coach?

Also just because you played the game at a high level, doesn't mean you can coach it. Let's face reality being a HS coach is more about getting teenage boys to work together for a common purpose more than x's and o's. There is enough talent there but can he be a leader there is the question.
better the player, the worse the coach seems to be pretty accurate in a lot of sports. maybe not at the high school level but higher levels. Look at nfl coaches, they always played the game but were never super stars. Cowher and Noll come to mind. NBA seems the same way, meh, ok maybe not more I think about that.

Reactions: Mikefln
Aliquippa is a cess pool. the endless circle of poverty, drugs and crime are based on multiple reasons, none of which have anything to do with the high school football coach.
It sounds as if Aliquippa has turned into a small town version of inner city Baltimore.

Reactions: gourdt
It sounds as if Aliquippa has turned into a small town version of inner city Baltimore.
Unfortunately that's the mentality for some because a select few of us made it. Even if we put all of our money together, we cannot change the facts. We can probably fix up a hundred homes to where they look real nice and pristine. But that's not going to change the environment with the drugs and the fact that there ain't no jobs." - Ty Law, Playing Through the Whistle

Unfortunately that's the mentality for some because a select few of us made it. Even if we put all of our money together, we cannot change the facts. We can probably fix up a hundred homes to where they look real nice and pristine. But that's not going to change the environment with the drugs and the fact that there ain't no jobs." - Ty Law, Playing Through the Whistle
The football coach can change the environment, thought, right? Isn't that what the Board is saying? At least for the precious few who play football. Isn't that what their expectations seem to be?

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
The football coach can change the environment, thought, right? Isn't that what the Board is saying? At least for the precious few who play football. Isn't that what their expectations seem to be?
the board wanted him out and made up garbage to justify it. they don't expect a high school coach to change the environment anymore than they expect amazon to come into beaver county and give everyone 6 digit salaries. they wanted him out and made up excuses why.

This is one of the main reasons for teacher unions. It always seems like a board members niece or nephew needs a job.
That can happen in any job.

As a taxpayer, I can think of many more reasons not to allow public sector unions, than I can to allow.

Reactions: Swervin27
in all seriousness rather it be Sean Gilbert or not, I want to know what exactly is Aliquippa looking for in its next coach. Also unless if there are PSU/MSU scandals going on that have not been mentioned, why couldn't they give him 1 more season and look classy? Instead went this route and look like idiots.

We are not talking about a guy who is/was 237-36 with 12 of those loses in the last 3-4 years. We are talking about a coach who was in the WPIAL Championship game 10 years in a row while playing up 1 class for 8 of them and playing up 2 classes for 2 of them.

Do they really think they are going to do better on or off the field than that?

Good call fellow ram. Joe was the best thing this district ever had (and played and won against the big boys being one of the smallest 4a schools...... when 4a was the largest class)

in all seriousness rather it be Sean Gilbert or not, I want to know what exactly is Aliquippa looking for in its next coach. Also unless if there are PSU/MSU scandals going on that have not been mentioned, why couldn't they give him 1 more season and look classy? Instead went this route and look like idiots.

We are not talking about a guy who is/was 237-36 with 12 of those loses in the last 3-4 years. We are talking about a coach who was in the WPIAL Championship game 10 years in a row while playing up 1 class for 8 of them and playing up 2 classes for 2 of them.

Do they really think they are going to do better on or off the field than that?
I think they do. Like some here mentioned, they'll probably go back down to 1A, beat up on everyone, and win a couple titles to justify them slandering Zmijanac.

It's the opposite of what we preach to kids nowadays. Instead of taking on challenges with your best attitude and effort, make it as easy as you can for yourself so you can win a couple more games. Only thing the kids are getting out of it is a possible scholarship that they somehow wouldn't of gotten in 3A.

I think they do. Like some here mentioned, they'll probably go back down to 1A, beat up on everyone, and win a couple titles to justify them slandering Zmijanac.

It's the opposite of what we preach to kids nowadays. Instead of taking on challenges with your best attitude and effort, make it as easy as you can for yourself so you can win a couple more games. Only thing the kids are getting out of it is a possible scholarship that they somehow wouldn't of gotten in 3A.

I don't see how there is more scholarship opportunity in 1A over 3A. Let's face it every local college is looking at Aliquippa. Lack of exposure is not an issue there. Lack of being qualified for college is an issue there.

I don't see how there is more scholarship opportunity in 1A over 3A. Let's face it every local college is looking at Aliquippa. Lack of exposure is not an issue there. Lack of being qualified for college is an issue there.
That’s what I was alluding to. And you are correct about the college qualification part.

School boards have ways to keep people from speaking out. They don’t need random people off the street to tell them that Zmijanac has won 237 games in 21 years and has had his teams in the WPIAL finals 11 strait years playing two classes up. Look for Aliquippa to drop to single A in the next cycle then brag about what a great hire they made.

In ways, but the public still has a chance to speak and they still have a chance to show up and pack a board meeting room. I'm also not talking about people off the street, but current and former players and parents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT