ADVERTISEMENT

Ranked teams who are overrated

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
#3-Penn State (best win is against Illinois who's best win was a 5-3 Michigan). One time of year I am a tOSU fan is this week.
#5 Miami- I hate knocking ACC teams but they have squeaked by against at best average teams VT, CAL, Louisville. Proud of them for smashing the Judas FSU last week.
#8-Notre Dame-I'm on the fence about this. They beat AtM and Navy but losing to Northern Illinois and playing no one else is tricky. God doesn't love the rest of us.
#11-Iowa State-Not buying this. They have not played any teams tougher than PITT. I consider them the PITT of the midwest but can't buy this.
#17-Kansas State-They should be ranked but back in the mid 20's. They barely beat Kansas who stinks. All of Kansas stinks.
#18-PITT-We have played no one. Our best win is against a CAL team that should have beat us. Self hating Yinzer mode in effect.
#23-Colorado-They have two losses and have not played any good teams. Their best win is Cincinnati. Prime Time hoax.
#25-Illinois-5th place in a top heavy BIG 10? Nope...not even if they had Red Grange.

Well, the thing is you're comparing them to an idea in your head of what teams ranked at those numbers should look like. The reality is there aren't many good teams this season.

I agree Penn State doesn't "feel" like the #3 team. But who should be ahead of them? Ohio State seems very mortal this season. Texas just got their doors blown off by Georgia and then didn't outclass Vanderbilt. Tennessee has looked awful at times and lost to Arkansas.

Same logic can be used for any of these teams. There aren't any elite teams this season. A two-loss team could absolutely win it all.

Well, the thing is you're comparing them to an idea in your head of what teams ranked at those numbers should look like. The reality is there aren't many good teams this season.

I agree Penn State doesn't "feel" like the #3 team. But who should be ahead of them? Ohio State seems very mortal this season. Texas just got their doors blown off by Georgia and then didn't outclass Vanderbilt. Tennessee has looked awful at times and lost to Arkansas.

Same logic can be used for any of these teams. There aren't any elite teams this season. A two-loss team could absolutely win it all.
I could find room for Arkansas, Vandy, Virginia Tech, and Navy. Texas, Tennessee, Clemson, Bama, and LSU should be higher.

I could find room for Arkansas, Vandy, Virginia Tech, and Navy. Texas, Tennessee, Clemson, Bama, and LSU should be higher.

Arkansas: 5-3 with a loss to 3-5 Oklahoma State and only one good win
Vandy: 5-3 with a loss to Georgia State
VT: 5-3 with a loss to Rutgers and wins over 1 single power conference team that is above .500
Navy: 6-1 with wins against absolutely nobody (okay, Memphis was a decent win I guess)

Ohio State at home needed a goal line stand to beat Nebraska.

There aren’t overrated teams really.

The running clock and NIL has closed the gap between teams.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Washington State ? Have you seen their schedule ?
They are ranked 22 , and their best wins are against .500 teams .

Ohio State at home needed a goal line stand to beat Nebraska.

There aren’t overrated teams really.

The running clock and NIL has closed the gap between teams.

I have to say: I have noticed the running clock rule quite a bit. Not on the field, but rather with how many commercials there now are. There have been multiple times this season when I've been flipping through like five games and they were all on a commercial break. It's absolutely obnoxious. The game "time frames" are only marginally shorter: they've just added even more commercials. There is nothing more depressing than being at a game and watching that TV official step onto the field with the 3:00 clock. Seems like this whole thing was to chase more advertising revenue and disguise it as a player safety issue.

I don't think Alabama is getting some wildly preferential treatment.

Won P4 OOC road game by 32
Beat # 2 team by 7
Lost at # 26 team by 5
Lost at # 7 team by 7
Beat # 25 team by 34
blah blah blah...two losses...you can call them #26 all you want, but they are still Vanderbilt..

blah blah blah...two losses...you can call them #26 all you want, but they are still Vanderbilt..

So you're claiming Alabama is wrongfully ranked #14 because of prestige, but Vanderbilt - who beat VT, beat Alabama, almost beat Mizzou, and went blow for blow with Texas - should not be # 26 because of... a lack of prestige.

it's hilarious that the knock on any ACC and big 12 team ranked is that they "havent played anyone". what's that tell you about the ACC and big 12?

#3-Penn State (best win is against Illinois who's best win was a 5-3 Michigan). One time of year I am a tOSU fan is this week.
#5 Miami- I hate knocking ACC teams but they have squeaked by against at best average teams VT, CAL, Louisville. Proud of them for smashing the Judas FSU last week.
#8-Notre Dame-I'm on the fence about this. They beat AtM and Navy but losing to Northern Illinois and playing no one else is tricky. God doesn't love the rest of us.
#11-Iowa State-Not buying this. They have not played any teams tougher than PITT. I consider them the PITT of the midwest but can't buy this.
#17-Kansas State-They should be ranked but back in the mid 20's. They barely beat Kansas who stinks. All of Kansas stinks.
#18-PITT-We have played no one. Our best win is against a CAL team that should have beat us. Self hating Yinzer mode in effect.
#23-Colorado-They have two losses and have not played any good teams. Their best win is Cincinnati. Prime Time hoax.
#25-Illinois-5th place in a top heavy BIG 10? Nope...not even if they had Red Grange.

I think Notre Dame is one of the best teams now, they are rolling

I have to say: I have noticed the running clock rule quite a bit. Not on the field, but rather with how many commercials there now are. There have been multiple times this season when I've been flipping through like five games and they were all on a commercial break. It's absolutely obnoxious. The game "time frames" are only marginally shorter: they've just added even more commercials. There is nothing more depressing than being at a game and watching that TV official step onto the field with the 3:00 clock. Seems like this whole thing was to chase more advertising revenue and disguise it as a player safety issue.

Even with the changes, college games never clock in at 3 hours. I can't remember the last time a Steeler game lasted more than three.

Texas A&M is interesting, maybe after all these years they finally hired the right coach and will realize the potential they've supposedly had.

Even with the changes, college games never clock in at 3 hours. I can't remember the last time a Steeler game lasted more than three.

I found a stat, though it looks like it's old but likely still applicable, whereby the # of plays is down by 7.8% but the length of the games is only down 1.4% with the running clock. That tells me all I need to know. I was going to make a post the other day about the uptick in commercials, and now it makes sense.

it's hilarious that the knock on any ACC and big 12 team ranked is that they "havent played anyone". what's that tell you about the ACC and big 12?

Also it’s wrong as it relates to the ACC.

According to SP+ Miami has played 3 Top 25 teams this year. The rest of their schedule will hurt them. But it’s been pretty respectable up to this point.

The Big 12 is right at least as it relates to teams played.
Iowa State has played one Top 25 team (Big Ten Iowa) and plays one more the rest of the season (Big 12 Kansas State).

Kansas State hasn’t played any. Although BYU just missed the Top 25. But K State lost to them.

I found a stat, though it looks like it's old but likely still applicable, whereby the # of plays is down by 7.8% but the length of the games is only down 1.4% with the running clock. That tells me all I need to know. I was going to make a post the other day about the uptick in commercials, and now it makes sense.
college football games are ridiculously long. haltimes are brutal, i'll turn the channel at halftime, go out cut grass, go get a few beers, say hi to the neighbors and come back and not miss the 2nd half kickoff.

One thing NFL does well, halftime. end of 2nd quarter in an nfl game, go upstairs, take a leak, grab a drink and come back and voila, game is on..

Also it’s wrong as it relates to the ACC.

According to SP+ Miami has played 3 Top 25 teams this year. The rest of their schedule will hurt them. But it’s been pretty respectable up to this point.

The Big 12 is right at least as it relates to teams played.
Iowa State has played one Top 25 team (Big Ten Iowa) and plays one more the rest of the season (Big 12 Kansas State).

Kansas State hasn’t played any. Although BYU just missed the Top 25. But K State lost to them.

I think one thing people fail to understand when assessing college football rankings is just how few "big wins" teams actually have. Like, this isn't basketball. The entire top 25 combined has a total of 23 losses, which is less than one per team.

So when Alabama beats Georgia, for instance, it's a really big deal.

Texas A&M is interesting, maybe after all these years they finally hired the right coach and will realize the potential they've supposedly had.

That reminds me of the situation Urban Meyer walked into at UF.

The previous head coach sucked but he killed it in recruiting. So there wasn’t actually much of a rebuild needed.

The roster is stacked even with the transfers they lost. It’s a good situation to walk into.

But then again, this is the bias of the preseason polls, right? Are some of the SEC teams (Ole Miss) that good or just overranked at the beginning of the season.

The polls are always messy, and the longer a season goes, the more arguments and counter arguments about Team A only beat Team B by this much, but Team C beat Team B by a ton, but Team D, who stinks almost beat Team C.

Which is why winning and losing games should matter to voters more, but it ultimately doesn’t until the last couple polls of the year.

My theoretical beef would happen if Pitt gets punished for losing to say a top 10 Clemson team in November, where other SEC/B10 schools don’t get the same punishment for losing to similar teams like Tennessee, Texas A&M, etc.

That being said, all that really matters is beating SMU this week.

lol, we are always the victims.
My point is more so that he isn't ranking teams in terms of who is the best. In his poll, the undefeateds are most worthy of his top 7 by virtue of being undefeated. The fact that we are second lowest ranked of the undefeateds means if we lose 1 game, we will drop very far in his rankings because we will probably also be considered one of the weaker 1 loss teams -- if we lose, it's not like we will drop from 6 to 9 or 10. It will be much lower than that.

Just keep winning!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT