ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the 12 best hires

Fornicate him ...

Pitt has always been a regular top 25 program waiting to happen, HCJC had and would continue to have a lot of other options, and he EAGERLY choose Pitt.

Reactions: PittCity
If Capel's coaching can match his recruiting I believe we will be pretty happy by sooner than year 3. I am expecting 0.500 by year 2 and an NCAA bid (or at least an NIT) by year 3 and a solid NCAA bif by year 4. Year 5, IMHO, could be a deep run in the NCAA tourney.

Of course, this all depends on excellent recruiting continuing and good coaching them up being demonstrated. We shall see.

It's silly to say that Pitt is not a top-10 job in the ACC. Everyone has seen what the job CAN BE, both good and bad.

What it needs is a constant commitment from the university. When that happens we are successful.

I think the hiring of JC could in time change the perception of Pitt s place in the ACC . Up until now Pitt has trended in the wrong direction since leaving the BE and joining the ACC , I think the author is a little tough on Pitt , but not far off .

Not sure I agree with what the writer says about whether Pitt is even a top 10 ACC job.
Capel seems to disagree anyways.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...ng-the-12-best-hires-from-the-spring-of-2018/
I'm not sure I would even disagree with his premise that "Pitt isn't a top 10 ACC job" because I think it is Duke and UNC and then 10-12 others, so you could rank the bulk of those very similarly. In NCAAB it is overwhelmingly reliant on the coach/staff and not the local talent or even the school history. Most of the best players play 2 years or less. They don't care that NC State won a title in the 80s. With prep schools, many of these kids have moved schools and cities 2-3 times for basketball reasons. It isn't any different for college.

Honestly, I think we are clearly a better job than Wake. Other than that in the ACC? Meh, it is pretty fluid. I could see someone ranking us anywhere from 6-14 and having some valid reasoning.

Last edited:
IMO the only schools you can place above Pitt are UNC, Duke and Virginia. I feel Pitt is just as good or can be as good as Louisville/ Syracuse /ND/ Clemson/ Miami.
It is a tough conference to be in though. One I think Capel is capable of finishing in the Top 5 most years.

The writer does say historically... like all-time. And mentioned 7 sweet 16s in school history. That is what I think he meant, although it is a crap thing to grade on. Obviously we were one of the hardest teams to beat at home this century, and had the 5th best winning percentage 2001-2014. and we were ranked at some point in all but 2 of those years. Im really sure not many ACC teams stack up against us this century minus the Stalling years

IMO only Duke, UNC, and maybe Louisville and Syracuse are better landing
areas for recruits than Pitt. Once Boheim leaves, things will change there.
Most of us agree it's the coach more than anything else. The other things while
not as important, still matter to a degree. Pitt is an urban campus, and for
most recruits, this beats places like VTech, Wake and maybe a few others.
What hurts is we're a bit removed from ACC places (tobacco Road), but put the right coach here (capel) and he can easily overcome factors like
no regional recruiting base.
Pitt is a better Bball destination than many believe IMO.

Last edited:
It's UNC (70% conference win % last 5 years), Duke (70%), and Virginia (81%) in Tier 1.

Louisville (67%) is Tier 1.5 with Pitino gone, but Mack is a big get (8 tourneys and 8 20+ win seasons in 9 years).

Tier 2 is probably Syracuse (57%), and Notre Dame (57%). Teams with good conference records and a strong recent (and not so recent) history of tournament appearances.

Tier 3 has Miami (57%), Clemson (50%), Florida St. (51%), and maybe NC State (43%) because of their recent tournament appearances.

Tier 4 is everyone else. VTech (38%,but 30 wins past 3 years), Pitt (36%), Georgia Tech (34%), Wake Forest (29%), and Boston College (19%)

Pitt has a long way to go in recovery to be considered a top ACC program. 50% conference ball only gets Pitt in the conversation for a 3rd Tier (7-10) ACC program. It will take years (5+) of success before Pitt can sniff recognition of a top 5 caliber ACC program.

Personally, considering the dumpster fire that he inherited, I'd be happy if we can consider Pitt as a 3rd Tier ACC team 4 years from now.

Reactions: Jpripper88
It's UNC (70% conference win % last 5 years), Duke (70%), and Virginia (81%) in Tier 1.

Louisville (67%) is Tier 1.5 with Pitino gone, but Mack is a big get (8 tourneys and 8 20+ win seasons in 9 years).

Tier 2 is probably Syracuse (57%), and Notre Dame (57%). Teams with good conference records and a strong recent (and not so recent) history of tournament appearances.

Tier 3 has Miami (57%), Clemson (50%), Florida St. (51%), and maybe NC State (43%) because of their recent tournament appearances.

Tier 4 is everyone else. VTech (38%,but 30 wins past 3 years), Pitt (36%), Georgia Tech (34%), Wake Forest (29%), and Boston College (19%)

Pitt has a long way to go in recovery to be considered a top ACC program. 50% conference ball only gets Pitt in the conversation for a 3rd Tier (7-10) ACC program. It will take years (5+) of success before Pitt can sniff recognition of a top 5 caliber ACC program.

Personally, considering the dumpster fire that he inherited, I'd be happy if we can consider Pitt as a 3rd Tier ACC team 4 years from now.

Good post, I see Pitt in your "Tier 4" also. However, I do see Pitt making up ground very quickly with Capel. I realize we haven't seen his players on the
floor yet, but what he's done so far is amazing IMO. You said "Tier 3" in
four years. I would agree, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he got us
to Tier 2. If he continues to recruit the way he's doing now, Tier 2 is
a realistic possibility.

I think if you look at the last 40 years, our "natural" spot is tier 3 there. There are about six jobs clearly better than ours, then it gets really messy below that. The last two years were an even bigger deviation than a Jamie Dixon #1 seed year.

-Virginia has 1 Elite 8 and 1 Sweet 16 dating back to 1995. This might be the most overrated team of all time by this board. I thought losing to a 16 seed would have finally crushed the hype, but nope. Duke and North Carolina win National Championships every few years and Virginia loses to 16 seeds and just about any high seed and these clubs are on the same tier? Syracuse has a National Title, 2 Final 4's, an Elite 8, and 5 Sweet 16's dating back to 2003, with a Final 4 a year ago. If Pitt has a long way to go to be 3rd tier, Virginia is going to need the next 100+ years to catch up to Duke and North Carolina all things relevant college basketball at the present, the NCAA Tournament.

-If Capel gets a Top 10-15 recruiting class in 2019, it really doesnt matter about the past any more. Not what Pitt did with Howland and Dixon, and not what Pitt did with Stallings. Only the present and future count. I see Virginia and stall ball doing nothing in the future in the NCAA Tournament.

I think if you look at the last 40 years, our "natural" spot is tier 3 there. There are about six jobs clearly better than ours, then it gets really messy below that. The last two years were an even bigger deviation than a Jamie Dixon #1 seed year.
Oh, I agree. After Dixon left we were easily a Tier 2 caliber team, even when just considering our 3 years in the ACC we were still at worst a high Tier 3.

Definitely a misguided article. Even the"blue bloods" go off the rails when they hire the wrong guy. College basketball is mostly about the head coach not the program. A great coach will win big in any of the P5 schools if the school is supporting the program.

If you wanted to nitpick it further, there's a good bit of local high school talent at this moment as well. If a coach were to sign all of the local talent, that team would be competitive on their own.

Kids who are 16 years old don't realize or care that UCLA was a dominant force. It's about today.
Weird article.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT