ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the ACC WRs

It appears that the pundits like our receivers more than many on this board.

Maybe, although French and Mack made believers out of me early last season.

Phil Steele asserted that Taysir Mack is an NFL talent. You can hear those comments on the podcast he did with CP just a few weeks back.

Mack and Ffrench both have NFL potential, Mack especially. I think they'll both be in camps and both have shots to be contributors at the next level. Mack would literally play WR at any school in the country. We're lucky to have him.

Reactions: freddietee511
I think Tipton (if he stays healthy) will be a good option as a #3 slot type guy filling in for Ra Ra. Need one of the Florida kids to step up too.

I've looked at these articles and they don't really make sense to me. Pitt's receivers catch the ball when it's thrown to them. Great. Pitt's QB didn't throw the ball well. Bad. So how exactly do those two rankings mesh? They don't. Analytics in a vacuum are always meaningless.

I've looked at these articles and they don't really make sense to me. Pitt's receivers catch the ball when it's thrown to them. Great. Pitt's QB didn't throw the ball well. Bad. So how exactly do those two rankings mesh? They don't. Analytics in a vacuum are always meaningless.
I think Pitt has plenty of good options in the WR group. But can Pickett get them the ball is another question. Our dominant running game(when facing average competition) was what held back our WR's last season. This coming season will be different I hope.

I missed that he fired off a few of these a few days ago apparently. 4th in WR, 5th in DL not bad... but yeah take it for whatever analysis it is he's using.

What gets me though is 12th in ST... pretty sure Phil Steele has Pitt as one of the best in the ACC, with Ffrench 1st team all-ACC as KR and Kessman 2nd team all-ACC K. Sure there was that abomination in Week 2, but Kirk C. did improve some throughout the year didn't he?

On the flip side, having Pitt as like 3rd or 4th I think in OL was confusing too.

I missed that he fired off a few of these a few days ago apparently. 4th in WR, 5th in DL not bad... but yeah take it for whatever analysis it is he's using.

What gets me though is 12th in ST... pretty sure Phil Steele has Pitt as one of the best in the ACC, with Ffrench 1st team all-ACC as KR and Kessman 2nd team all-ACC K. Sure there was that abomination in Week 2, but Kirk C. did improve some throughout the year didn't he?

On the flip side, having Pitt as like 3rd or 4th I think in OL was confusing too.

Yeah, I don't get the 12th ranking for sp. teams in the ACC conference. PITT returns quality kicker, punter and kick returners. Just that alone should be in the top 10.

Last edited:

Everything appears to be based on last year's data. So if everything remains static, great. We're all assuming Whipple is going to change the scheme so right away, all of the data is shot.

Best case, this guy is probably getting $40 an article to fill up a blog. But his Twitter profile picture is George Costanza and his header is Homer Simpson in a Duke shirt holding an NC State flag. So maybe we're dealing with another "Dude".

im really liking our top 2. just need that number 3 younger guy to emerge..

Aaron Mathews.
Tre Tipton.
and Jacques-Louis.

All should be very solid options at WR this coming season.

I agree with another poster on a different thread who suggested sliding Aaron Mathews to TE would be a good move.

His height, speed and good hands could give the offense a real boost by giving Pickett a legit weapon to throw to at that position. Mathews has certainly not reached his ceiling and moving him to TE would allow him to stay on the field longer and shine - especially when slower LBs are covering him.

Reactions: McKee Place
Aaron Mathews.
Tre Tipton.
and Jacques-Louis.

All should be very solid options at WR this coming season.

I agree with another poster on a different thread who suggested sliding Aaron Mathews to TE would be a good move.

His height, speed and good hands could give the offense a real boost by giving Pickett a legit weapon to throw to at that position. Mathews has certainly not reached his ceiling and moving him to TE would allow him to stay on the field longer and shine - especially when slower LBs are covering him.
Matthews is a wr. Maybe move him into slot on 3 wr sets to utilize his blocking on backers maybe but no, u can’t move him to TE.

He could be utilized more as a receiving option on running downs. Big target on short patterns on first downs. He’s a big frame, we should use it.

Reactions: PittAU
Everything appears to be based on last year's data. So if everything remains static, great. We're all assuming Whipple is going to change the scheme so right away, all of the data is shot.

Best case, this guy is probably getting $40 an article to fill up a blog. But his Twitter profile picture is George Costanza and his header is Homer Simpson in a Duke shirt holding an NC State flag. So maybe we're dealing with another "Dude".

It's last year's ranking with this year's predictions.

David Hale is the best ACC writer from ESPN.

He addresses the QB impact on the WRs- then attempts to isolate what's in the control of the WRs to judge them.

Matthews is a wr. Maybe move him into slot on 3 wr sets to utilize his blocking on backers maybe but no, u can’t move him to TE.

He could be utilized more as a receiving option on running downs. Big target on short patterns on first downs. He’s a big frame, we should use it.
Maybe not a TE in the 300 pound sludgebutt variety Watson preferred. But most definitely an H back in the Dorin mode, with the added bonus that he can actually block. He should be the one asking for it, so he can make a rep for himself with the pros before he finishes his college career as a 4th string WR like he's been every year.

Maybe not a TE in the 300 pound sludgebutt variety Watson preferred. But most definitely an H back in the Dorin mode, with the added bonus that he can actually block. He should be the one asking for it, so he can make a rep for himself with the pros before he finishes his college career as a 4th string WR like he's been every year.

Right, should've happened years ago like everyone was saying. He missed a golden opportunity while the team had nobody at TE.

Right, should've happened years ago like everyone was saying. He missed a golden opportunity while the team had nobody at TE.
I gotta think the coaches at least considered it......at least I hope they did. We talked about this last year and I don't think the kid wants to move. Oh well it is his career and he has flashed at times as a receiver just not enough.

I am not sure who hates this group of receivers but I wouldn’t take their opinion too seriously. I actually really like our receivers. Now, we need to make sure that our quarterback gets them the football.

All I heard all spring from people who are close to the program is that Butler-Jenkins is the most talented player in the whole group and nobody even talks about him.

This is a good receiving corps.

Reactions: Farnox
I think this group of receivers could potentially be really, really good. There’s also a chance none of the unproven guys pan out at all. It’s pretty much a crap shoot but I’d be pretty surprised if at least 1 of the younger guys doesn’t have a breakout year. There are definitely athletes amongst the group.

Reactions: Farnox
All I heard all spring from people who are close to the program is that Butler-Jenkins is the most talented player in the whole group and nobody even talks about him.

Wow I hope they’re right because I really like both Mack and Ffrench. Mack is as good as a natural receiver that we’ve had since Boyd. Ffrench is a very high level athlete. I like DBJ but all I know so far is that he is a plus blocker. So is Matthews so we will see who gets on the field.

Aaron Mathews would get abused by outside linebackers and defensive ends. He is great at blocking corners and safeties. Needs to gain a lot of weight to even think about TE. Its not a realistic idea.

Pitt has a solid group of wrs and could be very good. Tipton is making big strides this summer. You have Mack and Ffrench. Mathews and Shockey. The TE will get more throws plus backs out of the backfield. Better QB play should help. A lot of potential.

I am usually cautious when hearing talk about how good Pitt players at a particular position will be in the coming year. It’s one thing to hear a coach say, “This group looked good in practice.” If those players mentioned haven’t yet proven themselves in a game though, it is hard to know if “Good in practice” will translate to “Good on game day.”

When you talking about a position like WR for Pitt, where we know there are a number of proven talented receivers coming back and where some new (or improved) ones could make the position even stronger, it should give fans another level of confidence about how good they really could be.

Positions we should be feeling most confident about due to proven talent seen last season:

WRs: proven talent- should be very good
DBs: proven talent - should be very good
DL: proven talent - should be good to very good
KR/PR: proven talent - should be very good

Many of the other positions may have talent too but not necessarily as much “proven” talent and therefore could be anywhere from mediocre to very good.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I'm not sure people will understand just how awful Shawn Watson was, until we start playing games with Whipple as our OC, and not Watson.

I understand what he did. I just don't see the relevance. It's not like there are independent variables here.

Im guessing you see the relevance now? Pitt is throwing the ball a lot more to those 2 and the lead the nation in balls caught as duo.

I am not sure who hates this group of receivers but I wouldn’t take their opinion too seriously. I actually really like our receivers. Now, we need to make sure that our quarterback gets them the football.

This is a good receiving corps.
corp.

Im guessing you see the relevance now? Pitt is throwing the ball a lot more to those 2 and the lead the nation in balls caught as duo.

Pitt's receivers catch the ball when it's thrown to them. Great. Pitt's QB didn't throw the ball well. Bad. So how exactly do those two rankings mesh? They don't. Analytics in a vacuum are always meaningless.

I also have to do this with the old lady brings up crap from July.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT