ADVERTISEMENT

RBs

Dec 20, 2018
I know fans and media are low key focused on who will be in at QB vs URI. But I’d really like to see the depth of the RB room on Saturday. Izzy has 64 carries on the season, which is four times the amount of V Davis, who has 16 on the year. That is a heavy split. I know the Hammond injury affects that too. But Flemister only has 5 carries and Carter 4. I’d like to see Izzy get maybe 10 carries and split the rest among those other three to save him a bit.

I know fans and media are low key focused on who will be in at QB vs URI. But I’d really like to see the depth of the RB room on Saturday. Izzy has 64 carries on the season, which is four times the amount of V Davis, who has 16 on the year. That is a heavy split. I know the Hammond injury affects that too. But Flemister only has 5 carries and Carter 4. I’d like to see Izzy get maybe 10 carries and split the rest among those other three to save him a bit.
I think everyone in the RB room with two healthy legs and a pulse will carry the ball against Rhode Island. I'd like to see Slovis get another week off to recup as well. It's apparent that we will need him to stay healthy to have a shot at 10 wins this year. this is a week to get healthy and fix some of the problems we had against WVU and UT along both lines of scrimmage, in the secondary, etc.

i like Izzy but yes, i dont want to see him get 25 carries against Rhode Island. Def a game where you give it to VD or that notre dame back 10 times and run the clock out and get this game over with as soon as you can..

I believe you will get your wish. One thing that's been overlooked is that V Davis had a nice game against WMU.

I agree with what everyone is saying. I think Izzy should barely play, we need him healthy later in the year. But don't be surprised if Izzy gets as many carries as necessary to get him over 100 yards. I feel like that is the way our coaching staff thinks.

i like Izzy but yes, i dont want to see him get 25 carries against Rhode Island. Def a game where you give it to VD or that notre dame back 10 times and run the clock out and get this game over with as soon as you can..
I agree with the assertions that Pitt should never be playing games like this. No “Power” conference should. And I agree it is irresponsible to run your first team out there to the very end. But this kind of attitude reminds me of the thread about limiting baseball games. Pitt scheduled this game, and charges money for these games. The people in attendance aren’t like many of us here that look at these games almost clinically, with some “I’m too cool to want to see a blowout” detachment. That’s fine for us “uber” fans but most are not that. Those regular folks who pay money, put in the effort to get down there, invest the heart of a precious Saturday on this event, they don’t want to see 4th stringers grinding out a 17-9 slog fest over a Division 2 lackey. To many the only possible bit of entertainment to be had from this kind of “game” is to see a dominant effort.

Equally sad but absolutely true is that the pollsters, the media, the general populace all pass similar judgement. I saw a reference that Georgia took some critical heat by “only” trouncing it’s rental victim by 33 last week. Nobody cared that Pitt only beat WMU by a couple TD strictly because we had to play our emergency QB and were down several other key players…they dinged us in the polls anyway. It’s a dumb and dirty business and I hate that aspect of it, but nobody is forcing Pitt to be a participant in it.

I do acknowledge you don’t want to put your top players at unnecessary risk, and it’s an a-hole move to play them deep into the fourth quarter, hammer down in the fast lane, speed speed speed for that long. But the opposite extreme, playing every scrub and calling the same boring line plunge on every play to run the clock out faster, that’s ripping off the customer. The entertainment factor of these events doesn’t get enough consideration here.

But the opposite extreme, playing every scrub and calling the same boring line plunge on every play to run the clock out faster, that’s ripping off the customer. The entertainment factor of these events doesn’t get enough consideration here.
Did you watch the WMU game last week? You find a happy medium. Izzy and the starters (Healthy) will play and once you get a lead, i think you go conservative. mostly because we are really battered and beat up. I couuld care less about embarrassing an FCS team, i just want to rest up the few healthy starters we do have..

And giving VD carries isnt playing your scrubs, it's giving your backup seasoned RB some much needed work.

Last edited:
Did you watch the WMU game last week? You find a happy medium. Izzy and the starters (Healthy) will play and once you get a lead, i think you go conservative. mostly because we are really battered and beat up. I couuld care less about embarrassing an FCS team, i just want to rest up the few healthy starters we do have..

And giving VD carries isnt playing your scrubs, it's giving your backup seasoned RB some much needed work.
That was my point. YOU don’t care about that, you actually pay far too much attention, and you know the nuances of the situation, that we have injuries, that we had a tough three weeks and need a breather, that our QB is not likely to be the regular starter.

But THEY don’t know. The dreaded casual fan, the one who doesn’t know anything much other than Pitt isn’t at the top of the heap, but is slotted way higher then this particular opponent. And in this bizarro world where teams can schedule any crazy way they want to and the games still count, in this situation, it’s expected for the higher level program to trounce the living hell out of the lower level program.

But hey, it’s already nearly the end of the half — didn’t that clock run faster than most football games? Anyway, we already had our $12 cheesesteak, we already had our $8 Miller Lite (ok, 3 of them), we bought Junior a Steely McBeam doll in the gift shop (they call it an action figure, but face it Dad, it’s a doll; you bought your son a doll). Anyway, it’s 1 minute left in the first half … but Pitt is only winning 13-10. What the deuce?

Blame the ridiculous system that makes it possible to schedule crap games like this; but if you are gonna play them, you better kick ass in them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT