ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class

Oct 25, 2021
Now ranked 40th on Rivals and 38th in Composite rankings. I guess that's pretty good for Pitt. What's a little discouraging is that we're about 50th in average star rankings (behind Houston, Indiana, Northwestern, WVU, UCF, Missouri, Cincinnati., Boston College, and Iowa State... tied with Cal, Kansas, Purdue, etc.). Given the low number of recruits some of the teams behind us have, I guess we'll finish around 40th - 45th in recruiting class rankings. So that will be a good uptick from last year's 70th ranked class (and I know that was a small class). Looks like things are trending in the right direction on the recruiting trail.

For comparison's sake, the last guy brought in classes ranked 43, 32, and 44. So you can see how Duzz is really injecting this program with a much-needed talent influx.

I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic here or truly believe this is good.

Reactions: DORT
Now ranked 40th on Rivals and 38th in Composite rankings. I guess that's pretty good for Pitt. What's a little discouraging is that we're about 50th in average star rankings (behind Houston, Indiana, Northwestern, WVU, UCF, Missouri, Cincinnati., Boston College, and Iowa State... tied with Cal, Kansas, Purdue, etc.). Given the low number of recruits some of the teams behind us have, I guess we'll finish around 40th - 45th in recruiting class rankings. So that will be a good uptick from last year's 70th ranked class (and I know that was a small class). Looks like things are trending in the right direction on the recruiting trail.

For comparison's sake, the last guy brought in classes ranked 43, 32, and 44. So you can see how Duzz is really injecting this program with a much-needed talent influx.

38th is fine especially considering some of their recruits seem grossly under underrated.

Minchey should be a top 7 QB. (Not 15th)

Ohio recruiting gurus thought Biles was top 5 in Ohio before his injury. (Not 31st)

Same with Camon, Seymore and Anderson - the Florida scouts feel they all are underrated. Especially Seymore.

Having almost all of their recruits in the top 1000 is good for a P5 team.

38th is fine especially considering some of their recruits seem grossly under underrated.

Ohio recruiting gurus thought Biles was top 5 in Ohio before his injury. (Not 31st)

Same with Camon, Seymore and Anderson - the Florida scouts feel they all are underrated. Especially Seymore.

I just received word from the other 130 FBS schools. Turns out all their recruits are underrated, too!

This is what panther lair says every year. The current roster is filled with 5 classes worth of recruits this message board claimed was underrated by rivals. How's that working out for us?

This is what panther lair says every year. The current roster is filled with 5 classes worth of recruits this message board claimed was underrated by rivals. How's that working out for us?

2nd most wins in the ACC, an ACC championship and 2 division titles in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD_6082
It's almost like the NIL and the wide open transfer portal is having an affect on recruiting at mid-tier schools.

South Carolina - 16
Arkansas - 17
Louisville - 18
UNC - 20
Baylor - 21
Texas Tech - 22
TCU - 23
Cincy - 25
Ole Miss - 26
Washington - 27
Northwestern - 28
Stanford - 29
Iowa - 30
MSU - 31
WVU - 32
Iowa State - 24
Kansas State - 35
Duke - 36
Purdue - 37
Utah - 38

Some of those are NIL-related, but a lot are not. Either way, I wouldn't say this class is worse than what we're used to seeing at Pitt...

If I wrote, the Pitt staff thinks....

You would have a coherent point. Try again.

So your point is that you're a better talent evaluator than the people who get paid to do it? Since these rankings are all relative, I assume you also ranked the guys in everyone else's classes, too, right? That would be a prerequisite in determining if ours in underrated, after all.

I don't think you can base it off what some Florida scouts said about the local guys, as I could find scouts everywhere who think the locals should be rated higher.

3rd most wins in the ACC, an ACC championship and 2 division titles.
Had to win big this season to keep that fluke (and one championship is a fluke, until another one, at least earlier than 40 years this time) momentum going.

He failed with the OC hire (dooming us until the guy is gone).

He enticed the wrong transfer QB here (we obviously needed a rugged aggressive QB like Daniels who wouldn’t turtle with a little pressure, rather than a prissy debutante);

He wouldn’t replace the failed QB in two winnable games, whose subsequent losses (due partly to the failed QB continuing to fail, but see also below) has ruined this season;

AND his vaunted defense that he thought (hoped…dreamed…) would save the day in the close run-oriented games he craves (which shockingly the opponent didn’t engage in, and passed, passed, passed some more to turn games into blowouts) disintegrated in critical moments in fourth quarters of three straight losses.

So your point is that you're a better talent evaluator than the people who get paid to do it? Since these rankings are all relative, I assume you also ranked the guys in everyone else's classes, too, right? That would be a prerequisite in determining if ours in underrated, after all.

I don't think you can base it off what some Florida scouts said about the local guys, as I could find scouts everywhere who think the locals should be rated higher.
He’s a loyal (sycophant). Won’t criticize even the most terrible play, coaching and administration. It’s ok, everyone needs some kind of delusion to help them sleep at night. His delusion must be that Pitt sports are The Bestest.

I don’t mean to get in the snark pool like everyone else but dammit, this season has degenerated badly and it’s not just business as usual any more, we HAD to continue what started last season to have even the slightest hope to be in The Conversation later this decade. Or the program WILL be gone, and even if you don’t care that much about (ugh) football, it pays the bills which means the soccer, the volleyball, the lacrosse, the other boutique sports will suffer greatly as well. Don’t people realize?

Reactions: jctrack and DORT
After winning the ACC last year we should be more ahead of the game in recruiting. Recruiting is very disappointing so far, 40th???? There are some very dead beat assistant coaches on this staff.

We're playing under vastly different circumstances than in the past. If monied Pitt boosters want to have highly ranked classes, Pitt will have highly ranked recruiting classes. If they don't, they won't.

He’s a loyal (sycophant). Won’t criticize even the most terrible play, coaching and administration. It’s ok, everyone needs some kind of delusion to help them sleep at night. His delusion must be that Pitt sports are The Bestest.

I don’t mean to get in the snark pool like everyone else but dammit, this season has degenerated badly and it’s not just business as usual any more, we HAD to continue what started last season to have even the slightest hope to be in The Conversation later this decade. Or the program WILL be gone, and even if you don’t care that much about (ugh) football, it pays the bills which means the soccer, the volleyball, the lacrosse, the other boutique sports will suffer greatly as well. Don’t people realize?

Yep. He'll criticize a player for missing a block in an effort to defend Frank Rubble, but what about the blocks Pitt admin and coaching have missed over the years? We've had a few windows of opportunity, and instead of slipping through them we've basically boarded them up as if in anticipation for a zombie apocalypse.

We went out and acquired an air raid quarterback to run a pro style offense and now want to commit to a running game when we have one decent back after this season, and he's not an every down guy, and we can barely recruit o-linemen to save our lives.

Reactions: pierre93
Yep. He'll criticize a player for missing a block in an effort to defend Frank Rubble, but what about the blocks Pitt admin and coaching have missed over the years? We've had a few windows of opportunity, and instead of slipping through them we've basically boarded them up as if in anticipation for a zombie apocalypse.

We went out and acquired an air raid quarterback to run a pro style offense and now want to commit to a running game when we have one decent back after this season, and he's not an every down guy, and we can barely recruit o-linemen to save our lives.
It's Pat Frankenstein and Frank Flintstone what do u expect?? Lol

South Carolina - 16
Arkansas - 17
Louisville - 18
UNC - 20
Baylor - 21
Texas Tech - 22
TCU - 23
Cincy - 25
Ole Miss - 26
Washington - 27
Northwestern - 28
Stanford - 29
Iowa - 30
MSU - 31
WVU - 32
Iowa State - 24
Kansas State - 35
Duke - 36
Purdue - 37
Utah - 38

Some of those are NIL-related, but a lot are not. Either way, I wouldn't say this class is worse than what we're used to seeing at Pitt...
Louisville and UNC are known cheaters who are enjoying the new, legal flow of cash. Most of those other schools are football first or have bigger recruiting budgets and still can't find any sort of sustained success. Duke is the only one that doesn't make sense in context but they also have about 8-9 more commits than everyone else.

We can break down the math a hundred different ways. You can easily jump ten spots on that list with one 3-star the way the rankings are constructed. Would you rather have Michigan State's class or WVU's? Michigan is nestled between TCU and Cincy and I can guarantee you'd take their class over either in a heartbeat. Pitt and Utah are both coming off of winning their conferences and Utah is having a way better season. Heck, NC State probably has a better class than Pitt and they're 48th.

Yes, Pitt needs to do better and get the average up around 88 or better to sustain. Nobody is going to argue that. Being at 39 is neither a disaster or something worth celebrating.

We're playing under vastly different circumstances than in the past. If monied Pitt boosters want to have highly ranked classes, Pitt will have highly ranked recruiting classes. If they don't, they won't.
No we need a few more assistants that can close like CP. Also we needed to take advantage of winning the ACC Championship and not hiring these sub par assistants. But then again who'd want to coach with an egotistical maniac.

I actually admire the irrepressible optimists, it’s a better way to be for body and mind. But, geez. This was SUCH a big season. In the context of the history of the world? No. But for the continued survival of Pitt football, which we are all here in this board for, it was critical. We have more than failed. Only a running of the table really will come even close to salvage and that is laughable to even consider, given that has happened and what apparently Duz intends to do about it (which is nothing… after all, in his mind, we were undefeated up to the last game…I wonder if he thinks we actually won the UNC game too?)

Last edited:
I actually admire the irrepressible optimists, it’s a better way to be for body and mind. But, geez. This was SUCH a big season. In the context of the history of the world? No. But for the continued survival of Pitt football, which we are all here in this board for, it was critical. We have more than failed. Only a running of the table really will come even close to salvage and that is laughable to even consider given that has happened and what apparently Duz intends to do about it (nothing… after all, in his mind we were undefeated up to last game…I wonder if he thinks we actually won that game too?)
I try to be very optimistic but enough is enough. I was saying 8-4 and 7-5 before the season due to the Cignetti hire. I couldn't believe some were saying 10 wins, no way!!!!

No we need a few more assistants that can close like CP. Also we needed to take advantage of winning the ACC Championship and not hiring these sub par assistants. But then again who'd want to coach with an egotistical maniac.
How do you expect to close when other programs are paying more NIL money?

Louisville and UNC are known cheaters who are enjoying the new, legal flow of cash. Most of those other schools are football first or have bigger recruiting budgets and still can't find any sort of sustained success. Duke is the only one that doesn't make sense in context but they also have about 8-9 more commits than everyone else.

We can break down the math a hundred different ways. You can easily jump ten spots on that list with one 3-star the way the rankings are constructed. Would you rather have Michigan State's class or WVU's? Michigan is nestled between TCU and Cincy and I can guarantee you'd take their class over either in a heartbeat. Pitt and Utah are both coming off of winning their conferences and Utah is having a way better season. Heck, NC State probably has a better class than Pitt and they're 48th.

Yes, Pitt needs to do better and get the average up around 88 or better to sustain. Nobody is going to argue that. Being at 39 is neither a disaster or something worth celebrating.

Well that's what I'm saying... this class will probably end up closer to 45th, because there are a decent number of schools behind us saddled by having so few recruits at the moment. I assume they'll land a few more to get closer to that 20 threshold.

Either way, no I definitely don't think this class is sound-the-alarm-worthy by any means. It's about where Pitt recruits. What's deflating is the "if not now, then when?" aspect to it all. If we're not seeing a bump after an ACC Championship, will we ever see one? It's not all NIL-related. Iowa State doesn't have a gaggle of donors lining up to throw their money at recruits.

I also think Narduzzi is going way too light on the numbers in this class. Yes, the 6th year rule and the transfer portal complicate things. But we only took like 10 guys last year and ended up giving out some scholarships to Flemister, that tight end from Georgia Tech, a walk-on, etc. I'd include Wiltz, but he has been a pleasant surprise. Point being: I know we need depth at all positions. I'd rather that depth piece be a promising young player than a upperclassmen who could barely get on the field in five years at the P5 level.

How do u know were're not? We matched the wr from Fla but he still chose Fla St.
Is that surprising? The kid is from Florida. I'd assume you'd have to beat it to have a chance pulling that caliber of recruit out of FL to Pit.

Word always seems to be that we match, which makes me believe we're never in the game $ wise.

I also think Narduzzi is going way too light on the numbers in this class. Yes, the 6th year rule and the transfer portal complicate things. But we only took like 10 guys last year and ended up giving out some scholarships to Flemister, that tight end from Georgia Tech, a walk-on, etc. I'd include Wiltz, but he has been a pleasant surprise. Point being: I know we need depth at all positions. I'd rather that depth piece be a promising young player than a upperclassmen who could barely get on the field in five years at the P5 level.
I've thought the same, but what I'm thinking now is they need some immediate help out of the portal. The problem is they have to throw some money around to get guys worth something out of the portal. Otherwise we end up with the same mish mash transfers.

How do you expect to close when other programs are paying more NIL money?
This is where the AD has to come in harder. We once had serious (non message board jockey) donors happy to ‘underwrite’ Pitt when it was illegal; now that it is perfectly legal, are they even still alive? Are there new ones who would be willing? Did the school hold them off before when it was illegal, and can they go back and persuade them now that it is not just legal but vital to do it? If not, all is literally lost. A lot really depends on Lyke; I truly hope this is happening. I fear the opposite though.

Is that surprising? The kid is from Florida. I'd assume you'd have to beat it to have a chance pulling that caliber of recruit out of FL to Pit.

Word always seems to be that we match, which makes me believe we're never in the game $ wise.
We were in the game and if u bring in a very pass happy OC that can make a wr a Belitnokoff winner and the choice is easy. When a rb has scored the last 10 TD's it shows just how incompetent Cignetti is.

We were in the game and if u bring in a very pass happy OC that can make a wr a Belitnokoff winner and the choice is easy.
Obviously we weren't in the game. Even Texas A&M couldn't get him with all the money they're throwing around.

It's not like Florida state WRs are tearing it up and putting up big numbers. Narduzzi has coached over more Biletnikoff winners than Norvell. Pitt has 3 and FSU has none.

I've thought the same, but what I'm thinking now is they need some immediate help out of the portal. The problem is they have to throw some money around to get guys worth something out of the portal. Otherwise we end up with the same mish mash transfers.

Yeah, I could see last year's thinking being that we needed "ready now" depth pieces for 2022 and this year's being that we need "ready now" starters for 2022. So we've kind of hit on both ends of the spectrum in consecutive years, both of which ironically lead to a similar approach.

That said, I just think the classes will always offer our best opportunity for finding talent. Especially now, as you alluded to, that you have to pay for the better transfers. So we took 11 last year, and that includes a punter. It sounds like we're taking 19 or 20 max this year. Is 30ish in two years enough? Alabama took 25 last year. They have 23 so far this year. 27 the year before last. I mean, we're almost bringing in one recruiting class for their every two... and they already have an easier path to get the best transfers on top of that. And I'm obviously not suggesting Pitt and Alabama are remotely the same.

Just seems like a weird approach. I'd rather see Narduzzi commit to a youth movement next season in hopes of having an ACC contender by 2025 than try to piece together a 7-5 patchwork unit.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Obviously we weren't in the game. Even Texas A&M couldn't get him with all the money they're throwing around.

It's not like Florida state WRs are tearing it up and putting up big numbers. Narduzzi has coached over more Biletnikoff winners than Norvell. Pitt has 3 and FSU has none.
If we had hired a better OC this season we wouldn't be having this conversation. Also Underwood has been a low grade hire. Changes need to be made because this has been a disaster.

If we had hired a better OC this season we wouldn't be having this conversation. Also Underwood has been a low grade hire. Changes need to be made because this has been a disaster.
The OC had nothing to do with Williams going to FSU.

Yeah, I could see last year's thinking being that we needed "ready now" depth pieces for 2022 and this year's being that we need "ready now" starters for 2022. So we've kind of hit on both ends of the spectrum in consecutive years, both of which ironically lead to a similar approach.

That said, I just think the classes will always offer our best opportunity for finding talent. Especially now, as you alluded to, that you have to pay for the better transfers. So we took 11 last year, and that includes a punter. It sounds like we're taking 19 or 20 max this year. Is 30ish in two years enough? Alabama took 25 last year. They have 23 so far this year. 27 the year before last. I mean, we're almost bringing in one recruiting class for their every two... and they already have an easier path to get the best transfers on top of that. And I'm obviously not suggesting Pitt and Alabama are remotely the same.

Just seems like a weird approach. I'd rather see Narduzzi commit to a youth movement next season in hopes of having an ACC contender by 2025 than try to piece together a 7-5 patchwork unit.
It's like the Tomlin 8-8 scenario. I think I'd rather rebuild than maintain sometimes.

It's like the Tomlin 8-8 scenario. I think I'd rather rebuild than maintain sometimes.

And it's especially applicable now. In the past, it was mostly a matter between starting the younger guys or starting the upperclassmen. Now, it's literally a matter of either recruiting more high school guys or bringing in more transfers.

If were're going to always be recruiting around 35-40th then I'd rather bring in assistants that can put them in position to succeed. If it ain't broke don't fix it but we're talking about PN here.

I asked this a few times but are Pitt boosters working on any type of NIL fund which will pay salaries to all players like some schools are doing. Texas Tech is paying all players $25K/year and their current class is ranked 22nd. Now, 22nd isnt anything super but for a nothing program in the West Texas desert, that's darn good. We would be overjoyed with a class ranked that high.

6-6 is fine with the admin as many have noted. But as OTHERS😁 have noted, it isn’t Business As Usual any more. We and many like us are essentially auditioning for the programs continued future.

I asked this a few times but are Pitt boosters working on any type of NIL fund which will pay salaries to all players like some schools are doing. Texas Tech is paying all players $25K/year and their current class is ranked 22nd. Now, 22nd isnt anything super but for a nothing program in the West Texas desert, that's darn good. We would be overjoyed with a class ranked that high.
Lyke HAS to be out glad/handing really serious money people with history of being Pitt friendly, to be doing this. 4 figure (and likely less) message board heroes like ourselves cobbling together free hotel meal NIL deals aren’t cutting it.

Addison got his USC bribe via an airline, right? I think that’s ridiculous, but I must be ‘missing something’. Assuming I am, then regional companies might be tempted to set up endorsements with Pitt stars (Izzy? And then… well, none, but maybe if transfers could be interested…).

My company has had Pitt alum among its execs in the past (not so much lately in recent years though) and we’re not exactly retail oriented (no commercials or billboards) so it would be a stretch for mine. But many others could. Get some deals together with them. Giant Eagle? AEO? Sheetz? Fat Heads? Primantis? Any and all comers.

But that likely still Piker Town stuff. Let’s face it we really we need the dream guys like Tepper and Cuban to finally work with us. None of the usual Pitt thumb twisting either. Give them carte blanche on what they’d do. The NCAA, now a scam and a joke, is a MONEY LOVING scam and joke; it would LOVE that high profile guys like these are in bed with our program. But most importantly the fat cats planning the uber conference would be intrigued.

It’s that desperate, folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT