ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class

Ohhh please.... not this again. Well, that's exactly what I heard. There, how's that?
Yes this again and it's no BS. You know u seem like a good guy etc and we both love Pitt. It's ashame we have to be in this predicament with us being 4-4. I know there is more important things in life but we look forward to this. Oh well

I also think Narduzzi is going way too light on the numbers in this class. Yes, the 6th year rule and the transfer portal complicate things. But we only took like 10 guys last year and ended up giving out some scholarships to Flemister, that tight end from Georgia Tech, a walk-on, etc. I'd include Wiltz, but he has been a pleasant surprise. Point being: I know we need depth at all positions. I'd rather that depth piece be a promising young player than a upperclassmen who could barely get on the field in five years at the P5 level.
Probably waiting on a few guys? I don't know. haven't looked at it in a while.to see who was still in play. I believe we're still waiting on a couple commits to reveal who they are, too.

I'm sort of ambivalent about the transfer portal. It's gone both ways for Pitt bringing guys in.

Pitt is a 7-8 win program

Pitt recruits 7-8 win players

Been going on since Narduzzi got here

The "Florida Scouts" know as much as anyone on this board.

Those that try and defend this or sugar coat the reality are fools.

Reactions: h2p_5150
Probably waiting on a few guys? I don't know. haven't looked at it in a while.to see who was still in play. I believe we're still waiting on a couple commits to reveal who they are, too.

I'm sort of ambivalent about the transfer portal. It's gone both ways for Pitt bringing guys in.

All have now revealed themselves. We recently lost two commits: A receiver who committed to Utah yesterday and an offensive lineman who we told "thanks, but not thanks" upon finding that he can merely graze rim but cannot dunk.

Now sitting at 17, but (judging by recent offers that went out) it looks like we want to add another receiver and another o-lineman.

Reactions: pittdan77
Lyke HAS to be out glad/handing really serious money people with history of being Pitt friendly, to be doing this. 4 figure (and likely less) message board heroes like ourselves cobbling together free hotel meal NIL deals aren’t cutting it.

Addison got his USC bribe via an airline, right? I think that’s ridiculous, but I must be ‘missing something’. Assuming I am, then regional companies might be tempted to set up endorsements with Pitt stars (Izzy? And then… well, none, but maybe if transfers could be interested…).

My company has had Pitt alum among its execs in the past (not so much lately in recent years though) and we’re not exactly retail oriented (no commercials or billboards) so it would be a stretch for mine. But many others could. Get some deals together with them. Giant Eagle? AEO? Sheetz? Fat Heads? Primantis? Any and all comers.

But that likely still Piker Town stuff. Let’s face it we really we need the dream guys like Tepper and Cuban to finally work with us. None of the usual Pitt thumb twisting either. Give them carte blanche on what they’d do. The NCAA, now a scam and a joke, is a MONEY LOVING scam and joke; it would LOVE that high profile guys like these are in bed with our program. But most importantly the fat cats planning the uber conference would be intrigued.

It’s that desperate, folks.
Addison didnt get a bribe from the airline. He made next to nothing on that. Probably a few thousand to pose for their twitter site. No public company is paying substantial amounts to college players unless they are brand names (like a Heisman winner). Addison got the bribe from boosters.

Your idea that Giant Eagle, Primanti's etc should get together and pay Pitt players isnt happening. Well, maybe they will pay them market-level deals, a few thousand here and there. But what Pitt needs are the boosters to provide salaries and the bigger money to entice the 4/5 stars to come.

He makes FIVE MILLION a year , he needs to do better period, Pitt is a great school , the school city etc offers a lot

Addison didnt get a bribe from the airline. He made next to nothing on that. Probably a few thousand to pose for their twitter site. No public company is paying substantial amounts to college players unless they are brand names (like a Heisman winner). Addison got the bribe from boosters.

Your idea that Giant Eagle, Primanti's etc should get together and pay Pitt players isnt happening. Well, maybe they will pay them market-level deals, a few thousand here and there. But what Pitt needs are the boosters to provide salaries and the bigger money to entice the 4/5 stars to come.
Yep. The level of Tepper and Cuban. And any others not such media ho’s but have the same or more money. If we have none or not willing to pimp our dignity to rouse their interest, we disappear in a decade. It’s that clear.

Always the fans fault

Yes this again and it's no BS. You know u seem like a good guy etc and we both love Pitt. It's ashame we have to be in this predicament with us being 4-4. I know there is more important things in life but we look forward to this. Oh well
I get it. The last thing I want is 4-4. Don't care who you hate either, but folks are over the top. Literally everything is blamed on the OC by certain people who have an ax to grind for whatever reason.

I'll take a step back and look at the big picture. My perspective is there's no quick fix by hiring another OC, unless he brings a top notch QB with him. I just disagree with the pitchfork and torches mentality after a partial season, especially with what I've seen from the QB and WRs. They aren't good and that's the problem. Yes, blame the coaches for them which fits right into this recruiting thread. Most important kid in this class is Minchey and he needs to be signed.

I'm not tied to any assistants and don't care who they fire or bring back. But kneejerk reactions aren't a good way to operate. A lot of folks wanted Whipple fired early on too. He looked like a genius when they developed a WR and a QB with the physical tools finally got it mentally.

Reactions: pittdan77
Yep. The level of Tepper and Cuban. And any others not such media ho’s but have the same or more money. If we have none or not willing to pimp our dignity to rouse their interest, we disappear in a decade. It’s that clear.
You need a big fish like that to get the ball rolling but then us regular people can move our "contributions" to that salary fund and away from the Panther Club. There doesn't appear to be any booster interest in setting up this type of salary fund that are schools' boosters are doing.

You need a big fish like that to get the ball rolling but then us regular people can move our "contributions" to that salary fund and away from the Panther Club. There doesn't appear to be any booster interest in setting up this type of salary fund that are schools' boosters are doing.
Don’t disagree or unwilling to pursue that either.

This usually triggers laments that the AD will be starved of donations (with the unwritten implications that the boutique sports nobody donates to will starve, because even donations specifies for football gets some of it channeled to those sports). This is balderdash, at least in the big picture sense. GREAT FOOTBALL WILL LIFT ALL BOATS. Those programs would come out much better with an elite football program.

But it starts (or ends) with the big guys.

Don’t disagree or unwilling to pursue that either.

This usually triggers laments that the AD will be starved of donations (with the unwritten implications that the boutique sports nobody donates to will starve, because even donations specifies for football gets some of it channeled to those sports). This is balderdash, at least in the big picture sense. GREAT FOOTBALL WILL LIFT ALL BOATS. Those programs would come out much better with an elite football program.

But it starts (or ends) with the big guys.

AD's, especially at places like Pitt, are in a precarious situation. Other schools are moving toward booster salary funds but probably have enough donors to maintain regular athletic deparent giving donation levels. Pitt surely does not. So if we move toward the salary fund, Panther Club donations will become non-existent other than the season ticket donation. Pitt doesn't have enough boosters to give to both and as a Pitt football or basketball fan, you'd be pretty stupid to give to the Athletic Department over a player salary fund. Paying players directly is the best way to attract talent.

I wonder if schools like Pitt frown upon these types of NIL funds because they know their regular donation levels will crater. And Heather, especially, has to fund her baby, volleyball.

AD's, especially at places like Pitt, are in a precarious situation. Other schools are moving toward booster salary funds but probably have enough donors to maintain regular athletic deparent giving donation levels. Pitt surely does not. So if we move toward the salary fund, Panther Club donations will become non-existent other than the season ticket donation. Pitt doesn't have enough boosters to give to both and as a Pitt football or basketball fan, you'd be pretty stupid to give to the Athletic Department over a player salary fund. Paying players directly is the best way to attract talent.

I wonder if schools like Pitt frown upon these types of NIL funds because they know their regular donation levels will crater. And Heather, especially, has to fund her baby, volleyball.
If they have the delusion those sports will be able to continue as comfortably as they do now, when big conference checks disappear when football is gone, that’s scary.

After winning the ACC last year we should be more ahead of the game in recruiting. Recruiting is very disappointing so far, 40th???? There are some very dead beat assistant coaches on this staff.
Yeah, I think the reasonable expectation would have been slight bump into the low 30s to high 20s.
I don't know that it is deadbeat. I think they work hard at evaluation, and have confidence in their ability to identify kids with solid talent, good character and who are willing to buy into their normative system - so they will get involved in some higher ranked kids, but are selective with picking those battles, as they did with the stud WR, and if the others won't get on board take the solid 3 stars instead of going longer with a bunch of higher ranked kids who they are likely to lose out on, and left with a greatly thinned out pool of fall back kids.

Time will tell - they will get things back on track their way, or they might fall off.

We will see.

If they have the delusion those sports will be able to continue as comfortably as they do now, when big conference checks disappear when football is gone, that’s scary.
Pitt football will always exist. In 12 years or so, it will be in a league with WVU, Syr, BC, Kansas, Kst, Iowa St, Cincy, etc. And people will pay to televise it.

Pitt football will always exist. In 12 years or so, it will be in a league with WVU, Syr, BC, Kansas, Kst, Iowa St, Cincy, etc. And people will pay to televise it.
I strongly disagree that there will be nearly enough support to sustain it, along with the meager pittance of revenue such a league would garner. I certainly won’t follow it and most others will not as well. But they may try it…At first. You and Pitt79 can have virtual viewing parties. 😀 But not for long, as we would quickly drop out off such a thing. Acrisure would be so empty it wouldn’t behoove the stadium authority to open up. That’s my opinion anyway and maybe it won’t happen this way. Unfortunately it appears we’ll be at a point in the near future where this decision will be presented.

I strongly disagree that there will be nearly enough support to sustain it, along with the meager pittance of revenue such a league would garner. I certainly won’t follow it and most others will not as well. But they may try it…At first. You and Pitt79 can have virtual viewing parties. 😀 But not for long, as we would quickly drop out off such a thing. Acrisure would be so empty it wouldn’t behoove the stadium authority to open up. That’s my opinion anyway and maybe it won’t happen this way. Unfortunately it appears we’ll be at a point in the near future where this decision will be presented.
Pitt will be playing football at some level. If there is a 30-40 team Super League, then we may get left out but rest assured we will be playing football.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Yeah, I think the reasonable expectation would have been slight bump into the low 30s to high 20s.
I don't know that it is deadbeat. I think they work hard at evaluation, and have confidence in their ability to identify kids with solid talent, good character and who are willing to buy into their normative system - so they will get involved in some higher ranked kids, but are selective with picking those battles, as they did with the stud WR, and if the others won't get on board take the solid 3 stars instead of going longer with a bunch of higher ranked kids who they are likely to lose out on, and left with a greatly thinned out pool of fall back kids.

Time will tell - they will get things back on track their way, or they might fall off.

We will see.
Good take Jeff....

Reactions: Jeffburgh
There’s no doubt in my mind Narduzzi must make some changes in the off season to his staff. I think he needs much younger coaches especially on offense.

Powell, Boberly need to go. Salem is responsible for only getting 1 player the last 3 recruiting cycles ( Bartholmew) Which was a good find however, he only had one P5 offer. Which was Pitt. It’s not like he beat out P5 schools to entice Bart to come here. Manalac is another coach Narduzzi needs a sit down with. His linebackers have not looked good except for Dennis and his recruiting is average at best.

Pitt needs to determine how important Football is to the University. If it’s important. Narduzzi needs to go out and hire a proven closer who is glued in a area with a lot of talent. Like Louisville did ( hired a coach with west coast ties ) that is responsible for getting a top flight 4 star QB and 4 four stars from California. Kentucky has Marrow who is connected to Ohio.

Reactions: pierre93
TV Money is out of this world. They can draw 20K/game in that league, contend for one of the 12 playoff spots (via autobid) and cash checks.

So your point is that you're a better talent evaluator than the people who get paid to do it? Since these rankings are all relative, I assume you also ranked the guys in everyone else's classes, too, right? That would be a prerequisite in determining if ours in underrated, after all.

I don't think you can base it off what some Florida scouts said about the local guys, as I could find scouts everywhere who think the locals should be rated higher.

I'm not sure why you're struggling to comprehend basic English. Where did I even put "my opinion" about anything? The local scouts actually who actually watch the local players have the ability to, you know actually watch the players. The coaches at Elite 11 have been way more accurate with QBs than the scouting site because, you know they actually get to see the QBs in person for evaluations and comparisons. The sites are inherently biased because of their profit motivation.

I get your shtick is all about hating your life so everything around you is worse than it actually is but at least read what's written first before telling the world how unhappy you are with yourself.

I get it. The last thing I want is 4-4. Don't care who you hate either, but folks are over the top. Literally everything is blamed on the OC by certain people who have an ax to grind for whatever reason.

I'll take a step back and look at the big picture. My perspective is there's no quick fix by hiring another OC, unless he brings a top notch QB with him. I just disagree with the pitchfork and torches mentality after a partial season, especially with what I've seen from the QB and WRs. They aren't good and that's the problem. Yes, blame the coaches for them which fits right into this recruiting thread. Most important kid in this class is Minchey and he needs to be signed.

I'm not tied to any assistants and don't care who they fire or bring back. But kneejerk reactions aren't a good way to operate. A lot of folks wanted Whipple fired early on too. He looked like a genius when they developed a WR and a QB with the physical tools finally got it mentally.
spot on. this team has more serious problems than the OC. Talent level being numero uno.

TV Money is out of this world. They can draw 20K/game in that league, contend for one of the 12 playoff spots (via autobid) and cash checks.
TV money will be rapidly diminishing. Just as “TV” itself is. In a decade when this all goes down, a primary reason will be because much of the behemoth network structure of now will be downsized and fractured into highly specific streaming. The Phat League won’t want to share the smaller pile. It’s why I don’t expect the token playoff spot a lot of you guys predict, unless the government dictates it. And the ditch diggers of the conf like Purdue and Vanderbilt will especially fight it.

You of all people who preach this daily should be aware. There may be a streaming service for the Junior League, but subs for those will bring in stale peanuts in comp to the big boy’s league, and then to to distribute that money to the 60 or so schools that will be cut away from the NC process will water it way down. Or if it is an ad hoc system where each school gets what viewership it draws, shudder, even worse .

Some schools in rural places like Iowa State or Boise that still might draw noteworthy attendance or have 40% of a state fanbase interested to sub might do ok. What else do they have in life. Pitt’s “big league or bust” niche fan base will treat it like the Arena League franchise we had. I wish that weren’t true, btw I really do, I’ll miss Pitt football especially when I’m retired by then… but it is.

Last edited:
We should be celebrating the 6th coastal team having a recruiting class in the top 40. Too many pessimists here.

I'm not sure why you're struggling to comprehend basic English. Where did I even put "my opinion" about anything? The local scouts actually who actually watch the local players have the ability to, you know actually watch the players. The coaches at Elite 11 have been way more accurate with QBs than the scouting site because, you know they actually get to see the QBs in person for evaluations and comparisons. The sites are inherently biased because of their profit motivation.

I get your shtick is all about hating your life so everything around you is worse than it actually is but at least read what's written first before telling the world how unhappy you are with yourself.

You reported my response and it got deleted? Hahahahaha, talk about validating exactly what I said.

Pitt is a 7-8 win program

Pitt recruits 7-8 win players

Been going on since Narduzzi got here

The "Florida Scouts" know as much as anyone on this board.

Those that try and defend this or sugar coat the reality are fools.
So Mel Kiper just listed his "big board". That is the top 10 players at each position who are Sr eligibility wise. Pitt has a huge class of Senior eligible players, it is why we were so bullish heading into the season.

Not ONE player made any of the top 10 list. Not one! Calijah Kancey was on the "others mentioned" for DT's. So all of this "diamond in the rough" talent that we are sold on every June, because it only seems like this staff can be interested in recruiting in June, is showing to be complete BS. We are 4-4 for a reason. We recruit .500 type players.

TV money will be rapidly diminishing. Just as “TV” itself is. In a decade when this all goes down, a primary reason will be because much of the behemoth network structure of now will be downsized and fractured into highly specific streaming. The Phat League won’t want to share the smaller pile. It’s why I don’t expect the token playoff spot a lot of you guys predict, unless the government dictates it. And the ditch diggers of the conf like Purdue and Vanderbilt will especially fight it.

You of all people who preach this daily should be aware. There may be a streaming service for the Junior League, but subs for those will bring in stale peanuts in comp to the big boy’s league, and then to to distribute that money to the 60 or so schools that will be cut away from the NC process will water it way down. Or if it is an ad hoc system where each school gets what viewership it draws, shudder, even worse .

Some schools in rural places like Iowa State or Boise that still might draw noteworthy attendance or have 40% of a state fanbase interested to sub might do ok. What else do they have in life. Pitt’s “big league or bust” niche fan base will treat it like the Arena League franchise we had. I wish that weren’t true, btw I really do, I’ll miss Pitt football especially when I’m retired by then… but it is.
That's fairly pessimistic. But it is why I was hopeful and adamant that we have another good year this year. Because I am not sure when, but it sure seems it is going to happen. Maybe not completely like that. But something like that. Pitt the school, will be okay. Plenty of top academic institutions don't play on ESPN/ABC/Fox on Saturdays.

So Mel Kiper just listed his "big board". That is the top 10 players at each position who are Sr eligibility wise. Pitt has a huge class of Senior eligible players, it is why we were so bullish heading into the season.

Not ONE player made any of the top 10 list. Not one! Calijah Kancey was on the "others mentioned" for DT's. So all of this "diamond in the rough" talent that we are sold on every June, because it only seems like this staff can be interested in recruiting in June, is showing to be complete BS. We are 4-4 for a reason. We recruit .500 type players.

"But one time a 2-star got drafted in the first round. Duzzzzzzzzzzz!"

Either way, I'm just confident in knowing that this time it's different. This time, a local Floridian scout says our players are underrated. No word on whether he said this before or after he declared a couple guys in Florida Atlantic's class should have been P5-level players, but this is big.

I can't disclose who it was, because I don't want to compromise my sources, but I was also DM'ed by a recruit's mother last night. She said, "Wolf, I don't know why his only other offers are MAC schools; my baby is gonna be so good!"

So, there you have it. These recruiting rankings? Throw 'em out! You have to dig a little deeper to get the scoop sometimes.

Look... most, if not all, of those other high recruiting programs have their own stadiums with every four years a new generation of students graduating in the tens of thousands... going into the world after having a great experience walking to their stadium and tailgating on campus. They earn money and are willing to give back through resources that help their schools recruit.

We don't have that experience to offer, and so the giving priority of our alums is much, much lower. That means less resources for recruiting and lower ranked classes. It's not going to change.

ADVERTISEMENT