ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting links - UPDATED

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
  1. uQ0H5veV_bigger.jpg
    Harry G. Psaros‏@PittGuru 2m2 minutes ago

1. New Mexico JC HC Brian Lohrey indicated Kene Chukwuka should have a decision within 24 hours. Sounds very good for #Pitt. Stay tuned.
  2. 0 replies 1 retweet 2 likes

3. Thanks. Twitter will use this to make your timeline better. Undo
  1. I spoke with New Mexico JC basketball HC Brian Lohrey. He stated Kene Chukwuka loved everything about his #Pitt visit. Decision coming soon

JaTxZdem_bigger.png
JucoRecruiting.com‏@JucoRecruiting 11m11 minutes ago

6'9 F Kenechukwu Chukwuka of New Mexico JC has committed to Pitt. Will have 3 years to play

With this commit, and Pitt not even making Zegarowski's final 4, not a great day for the program.

I'll be interested to see if even one of George/Peace/KenChuck plays more than 2 seasons for Pitt. I think the over under for total combined seasons here is like 4.5

We have enough bodies to field a team, but will they be any good. Hopefully they get better as the year goes on.

Did you ever consider the possibility that the kid can play? didn't think so.
I'd be happy if just one of those three turns out to be a serviceable player. Would love to see them all turn out to be under the radar stars but just being realistic.

With this commit, and Pitt not even making Zegarowski's final 4, not a great day for the program.

I'll be interested to see if even one of George/Peace/KenChuck plays more than 2 seasons for Pitt. I think the over under for total combined seasons here is like 4.5

I'll take the over for $100

Reactions: whirlybird optio
George, Davis, and Chuckwuka versus Haughton, Nix and Milligan (while we are talking worst)

Brown/Llegomah and Carr/Stewart verus Manigault and Kitchart

Stevenson versus D.Wilson

Frame versus Clark

Let the comparisons begin.

We had a very poor roster - We turned it over - It remains to be seen if we just replaced very poor players with other very poor players. Recruiting ranking seem to indicate that. Maybe Stalling's reaches will be more productive than Dixon's.

Seriously, how can they be more productive without a good coach? The coach would have to be great for them to be productive, and we sure don't have that. For Stallings to succeed, he needs 4 or 5 - 4* players at the very least, and at last 2 - 5* players in the mix in order to have any hope of having a winning season let alone an NCAA Tournament appearance.

Let's try and stay in the real world here. This isn't good and it's getting worse.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen and now I learn he has 3 seasons left, not 2. Its tough to understand what Stallings's thinking is. I mean George, Davis, and Chukwuka are possibly the 3 lowest-rated recruits we've signed in a couple decades.

My only hope is that some of these newcomers have signed with the understanding that this is a 1 year tryout. We now only have 2 scholarships left to offer for the next class. We will absolutely need to cut 1-2 of these players to make room for better players in the next class.......or at least more lottery tickets. Maybe Lyke should sign a marketing deal with the PA Lottery.

We've hit Mike Shin, Kevin Leslie level recruits. Beating out Southern Utah, Iona, etc for multiple recruits.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
What good does an empty scholarship do ?( does this sound familiar ) Everyone needs to stop the whining and see if any of these kids can play and develop . There's no doubt that not all these guys will be back for a second season so no need to worry , any quality recruit will have a spot .
For all the KS haters this is what you want , if all these guys live up to their press clippings he'll be gone soon!

What good does an empty scholarship do ?( does this sound familiar ) Everyone needs to stop the whining and see if any of these kids can play and develop . There's no doubt that not all these guys will be back for a second season so no need to worry , any quality recruit will have a spot .
For all the KS haters this is what you want , if all these guys live up to their press clippings he'll be gone soon!

I will bet the new recruit can run up and down the floor 4 times without needing a 15 minute blow.

KS haters. That's funny. Let's just say it like this. He makes it very easy to hate him. Besides the fact that he is a lousy coach, he a douchebag and a jerk. That's a lethal combination.

Reactions: Jpripper88
KS haters. That's funny. Let's just say it like this. He makes it very easy to hate him. Besides the fact that he is a lousy coach, he a douchebag and a jerk. That's a lethal combination.

First hand experience?

I kid, that was right there for the taking.

Reactions: FireballZ
The lack of energy, excitement and enthusiasm around here is more deflating than Tom Brady on a Sunday. :(

Reactions: heybandguy
I was one of the ones who said Stallings deserved a chance to rebuild this roster because he was not taking over a good situation.

I didn't like him as the hire but I also was realistic and knew this roster flat out stunk when he took over especially at the underclassmen level.

But the recruiting has been beyond disappointing and not even close to where they need it to be to compete for NCAA tourney bids. The recruiting under Stallings has essentially been an extension of Dixon's last few seasons and that is not a good thing for Pitt basketball because there is no question on who the better on-court coach is between the two so Stallings better be recruiting at a much higher level and he simply is not.

The only hope is that a few of these guys are completely under the radar and will pan out into something better than we all expect. But that is obviously a really long shot. We are getting the majority of our recruits against the bottom dwellers of D1 basketball not against other P5 type teams. That is ridiculous. He better start hitting some grand slams with him remaining 18 commits but that appears so unrealistic at this point that I have no hopes for it.

Last edited:
I was one of the ones who said Stallings deserved a chance to rebuild this roster because he was not taking over a good situation.

I didn't like him as the hire but I also was realistic and knew this roster flat out stunk when he took over especially at the underclassmen level.

But the recruiting has been beyond disappointing and not even close to where they need it to be to compete for NCAA tourney bids. The recruiting under Stallings has essentially been an extension of Dixon's last few seasons and that is not a good thing for Pitt basketball because there is no question on who the better on court coach is between the two.

The only hope is that a few of these guys are completely under the radar and will pan out into something better than we all expect. But that is obviously a really long shot. We are getting the majority of our recruits against the bottom dwellers of D1 basketball not against other P5 type teams. That is ridiculous. He better start hitting some grand slams with him remaining 18 commits but that appears so unrealistic at this point that I have no hopes for it.
It is very strange.

On the other hand, we had two well regarded coaches not be able to recruit recently, and another well regarded coach say "you can't recruit/win" at Pitt long term as he was leaving for a better gig. Maybe he was on to something.

It is very strange.

On the other hand, we had two well regarded coaches not be able to recruit recently, and another well regarded coach say "you can't recruit/win" at Pitt long term as he was leaving for a better gig. Maybe he was on to something.
Yes, you are onto something. The problem has not been the Coaches. Howland and Dixon were about as good as Pitt could expect realistically expect, and Harris did a very good considering his starting point. Pitt is not an easy sell. The administration and fans take turns hindering the program.

It is very strange.

Maybe but what is holding Pitt basketball back? I ask that as a serious question. Pitt footballl I understand more because you are competing against schools who get 90K+ in attendance on a regular basis when we get 40K on most Saturdays. So that is understandable.

I mean at Dixon's high point and really include Howland in there, we were a Top 10 program playing in a brand new arena with a packed house of loud fans in the best or one of the best conferences in the country and we never recruited top tier kids. Dixon did a great job of getting those high 3 low 4 star kids and developing them into really good players but as recruits they were not exactly top of the line recruits.

I don't know. Maybe I am dumb or gullible but I don't understand how at that point recruiting did not take off. Maybe it isn't the coaches holding recruiting back but what is it then? Is it that we don't cheat and other schools do? I find that highly unlikely to be true. Just doesn't make sense that we can't recruit kids here at least on an average level. Best conference, good facilities, etc.. we might not be Kentucky but the program still has a lot to offer.

Reactions: gary2
Maybe but what is holding Pitt basketball back? I ask that as a serious question. Pitt footballl I understand more because you are competing against schools who get 90K+ in attendance on a regular basis when we get 40K on most Saturdays. So that is understandable.

I mean at Dixon's high point and really include Howland in there, we were a Top 10 program playing in a brand new arena with a packed house of loud fans in the best or one of the best conferences in the country and we never recruited top tier kids. Dixon did a great job of getting those high 3 low 4 star kids and developing them into really good players but as recruits they were not exactly top of the line recruits.

I don't know. Maybe I am dumb or gullible but I don't understand how at that point recruiting did not take off. Maybe it isn't the coaches holding recruiting back but what is it then? Is it that we don't cheat and other schools do? I find that highly unlikely to be true. Just doesn't make sense that we can't recruit kids here at least on an average level. Best conference, good facilities, etc.. we might not be Kentucky but the program still has a lot to offer.

In basketball, I just think it was a combination of things. If you look at the 2011-2012-2013 classes, those were on average higher rated classes for JD than previous years. You had multiple 5 and 4 star recruits. But that's also when you get into assistant coach turnover, which really killed the Heron/Rowan recruitments, lost us Birch etc. In 2014, you get Jeter, Luther, Cam Johnson. 2015 you get Wilson who is a 4 star guard, and then some grad transfers. 2016 looked like a return to the low 4 star high 3 star type recruits in Clark, manigault, kithcart...but the Clark injury and then the other two just didn't pan out, and Wilson ended up being a bust as well.

Basketball is just so tough with such a small roster. You look at the classes from 2001 really through 2013. Pitt just hit on an extraordinary high level of recruits. Very few busts.

The hope, at least from me, was that KS would play a style more conducive to landing quasi-elite HS offensive talents. So far, hasn't panned out.

I can't explain it other than maybe Jamie hit lightening in a bottle, got the right mix of guys, but that this would not be sustainable over time. Many of the guys he was overachieving with were guys who had a small flaw that kept the major schools away (Fields, chubby; Blair knees and height, and his grandma made him go to Pitt). Then we got back to normal.

But the recruiting has been beyond disappointing and not even close to where they need it to be to compete for NCAA tourney bids. The recruiting under Stallings has essentially been an extension of Dixon's last few seasons and that is not a good thing for Pitt basketball because there is no question on who the better on-court coach is between the two so Stallings better be recruiting at a much higher level and he simply is not.

The recruiting is not good enough, for sure.

I would give Stallings just one small nod over JD's recruiting his last 4-5 years - JD increasingly toward the end, just sort of gave up after some misses. That is why the roster was so thin last year and there were so many holes to fill.

To his credit (not to over state it) Stallings has moved on (and on, and on and on and on ...) until he has gotten SOMEONE to fill spots.

I would give Stallings just one small nod over JD's recruiting his last 4-5 years - JD increasingly toward the end, just sort of gave up after some misses. That is why the roster was so thin last year and there were so many holes to fill.

To his credit (not to over state it) Stallings has moved on (and on, and on and on and on ...) until he has gotten SOMEONE to fill spots.
To me, it reads like you said they did the same thing. Sign the Plan D recruit after several misses.

How often did dixon have more than 1 open ship a season?

yeah but is replacing a bad player with more bad players the answer? Certainly doesn't seem like we are adding kids that other good programs are after. I can't get all warm and fuzzy about being out the Southern Utah's of the world for recruits.

And I know some are going to say let's see what they do in college before making a determination they are no good. And normally that's fine and fair when we were talking about 1 or 2 or even 3 kids in an 11 man class. But we are essentially using that argument for about 7 of the new comers. Just way to many question marks being added as recruits overall.

And the 2018 class doesn't make me feel any better. We are getting eliminated daily by our top targets who are higher end recruits.

You shouldn't hold back your feelings it will cause your bp to raise . I'm glad you know him personally , how much time have you spent with him to know him so well ?

yeah but is replacing a bad player with more bad players the answer? Certainly doesn't seem like we are adding kids that other good programs are after. I can't get all warm and fuzzy about being out the Southern Utah's of the world for recruits.

And I know some are going to say let's see what they do in college before making a determination they are no good. And normally that's fine and fair when we were talking about 1 or 2 or even 3 kids in an 11 man class. But we are essentially using that argument for about 7 of the new comers. Just way to many question marks being added as recruits overall.

And the 2018 class doesn't make me feel any better. We are getting eliminated daily by our top targets who are higher end recruits.
Pitt is in a deep hole and it will take some luck to get out of it without adding a bagman to the staff . You just have to hope that a couple of these guys are diamonds in the ruff . When your a highly sought after recruit being recruited by better programs why do you think that they'd choose Pitt .

From a LONG distance, the quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Again, I am with most others pretty sure it isn't going to end well. At the same time, while I don't run around telling other people that they should take the same approach, I personally am holding out hope, against the odds, that maybe Stallings can pull it off.

I think there is some evidence he has a good eye for talent, you see a LOT of instances where he gets on a kid and then the kid gets a lot more interest - two of North Carolina incoming big men were kids Stallings offered very early, then others including NC came in on them.

That is the primary difference I noted - JD went after one or two primary targets, then punted for Roselle Nix. Stallings seems to cast a much wider net, he is like the guy you new in school who propositioned all kinds of girls figuring one would work out.

Yes, definitely a number of the kids who are coming in are close to as sketchy as Nix, but there were a lot more nos ahead of them, for what it is worth.

Pitt is in a deep hole and it will take some luck to get out of it without adding a bagman to the staff . You just have to hope that a couple of these guys are diamonds in the ruff . When your a highly sought after recruit being recruited by better programs why do you think that they'd choose Pitt .

Why would they choose Pitt?

Well first, as I said earlier, I am not asking them to beat out Kentucky or Duke or UNC, etc.. for recruits. That obviously won't happen especially on any kind of regularity.

But there is no reason for them not to be competing with other normal Power 5 schools. Instead they are beating MAC programs, Sun Belt programs, etc... No way should they be competing at that level for recruits.

Good lord, I know Pitt isn't perfect but acting like they are currently recruiting at an appropriate level is nuts in my eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT