ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting/NIL/ALL ACC… (long)

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
With de-commits like Mincey NIL $ & Pollock trying to get $EC NIL $, it’s the new landscape and it will be interesting to see our strategy going forward.

First off if you can’t admit this staff isn’t really good at evaluating talent then you clearly have a bone to pick. We just had the 2nd most players on the ALL ACC teams behind only Big $ national power Clemson.

Most of our ALL ACC players were far from big name recruits. Let’s review some:

On the 1st team Izzy (top vote-getter in the entire conference) was an average 3 star and far from a National recruit. Same for Kancey. These 2 will be in the NFL next year.

Other 1st team members Minor was not considered a major pick up in the portal. Dennis…many bitched when we took him. We were his only P5 offer.

Some of our other All ACC players Wayne and Goncalves had no other P5 offers. Hallet only had 2 P5 offers.

We will continue to get some really underrated players who fit our system. Mincey was a tough loss this late. Pollock…may or may not turn out to be a player, but PN has said DB is the easiest position for him to find talent, and with the DB’s he has in the NFL he’s right.

With our limited budget, let’s deal in reality because this is the truth… I would spend our $ this way:

1.) try our best to retain our top players.

2.) only spend on a few HS players that the staff feels are close to can’t miss such as a kid like Bass…possibly

3.) go after transfers. Guys who have proven they can play college football. Find hidden gems like Wiltz who won’t cost anything. And if you are going to spend some $ other then keeping our proven players, I would go after some top backups at places such as Georgia, OSU etc. Kids who have the talent but don’t want to wait their turn. Like the 2 guys we got from FL Krull & Johnson.

At the majority of schools about half or more of the HS kids in most classes never do anything. If you have a 50% hit rate it’s good. I would rather spend on the talented back up WR at Georgia who doesn’t want to wait to play. Or spend a smaller amount on a back like C’bo who has at least proven he can play at this level even if it was not a ton of PT.

Look at our 4 transfer LB’s Johnson, Johnny P, Simon & Wiltz. 4 for 4 and a clearly higher hit rate than you will have with HS LB’s.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to debate. I’m sure that small group will bitch no matter what. But as a Pitt fan what would be your plan to deal with the new NIL landscape when you don’t have big $ like the SEC or BIG 10?

With de-commits like Mincey NIL $ & Pollock trying to get $EC NIL $, it’s the new landscape and it will be interesting to see our strategy going forward.

First off if you can’t admit this staff isn’t really good at evaluating talent then you clearly have a bone to pick. We just had the 2nd most players on the ALL ACC teams behind only Big $ national power Clemson.

On the 1st team Izzy (top vote-getter in the entire conference) was an average 3 star and far from a National recruit. Same for Kancey. These 2 will be in the NFL next year.

Other 1st team members Minor was not considered a major pick up in the portal. Dennis…many bitched when we took him. We were his only P5 offer.

Some of our other All ACC players Wayne and Goncalves had no other P5 offers. Hallet only had 2 P5 offers.

We will continue to get some really underrated players who fit our system. Mincey was a tough loss this late. Pollock…may or may not turn out to be a player, but PN has said DB is the easiest position for him to find talent, and with the DB’s he has in the NFL he’s right.

With our limited budget, let’s deal in reality because this is the truth… I would spend our $ this way:

2.) only spend on a few HS players that the staff feels are close to can’t miss such as a kid like Bass…possibly

3.) go after transfers. Guys who have proven they can play college football. Find hidden gems like Wiltz who won’t cost anything. And if you are going to spend some $ other then keeping our proven players, I would go after some top backups at places such as Georgia, OSU etc. Kids who have the talent but don’t want to wait their turn. Like the 2 guys we got from FL Krull & Johnson.

At the majority of schools about half or more of the HS kids in most classes never do anything. If you have a 50% hit rate it’s good. I would rather spend on the talented back up WR at Georgia who doesn’t want to wait to play. Or spend a smaller amount on a back like C’bo who has at least proven he can play at this level even if it was not a ton of PT.

Look at our 4 transfer LB’s Johnson, Johnny P, Simon & Wiltz. 4 for 4 and a clearly higher hit rate than you will have with HS LB’s.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to debate. I’m sure that small group will bitch no matter what. But as a Pitt fan what would be your plan to deal with the new NIL landscape when you don’t have big $ like the SEC or BIG 10?
It’s good to see there are some intelligent posters on this board.

Here's the thing: we dont even have a pay for play salary fund that we can contribute to. As far as I can tell, the Bickell one is just him and maybe a few others. Maybe they'd take contributions but they arent really seeking any. Why? All donor money needs to go to the pay for play fund. Then the general fund can fund everything else. They are funding volleyball, they can fund miscellaneous football and basketball stuff. There really shouldn't be a Panther Club any more beyond donor seating.

That other NIL fund is a LEGIT fund, meaning players get market value for what donors want to pay for their content. As I've said a million times, college athletes, on the open market have close to $0 value so any type of legit NIL fund isnt going to do anything in terms of player retention or recruiting. We need to heavily fund a pay for play fund and advertise the heck out of it.

I like your approach. My only concern and there may not be much you can do about this with limited resources is how a guy like Pollick would feel about us throwing a bunch of money at bass. Does he then feel like he’s not a priority and become jaded?

Reactions: 4upmc

Stop making sense, dude!! Admit reality: We suck. Pitt is dead... everything is sh*t... the end is nigh!!! Don't you see that?

Here's the thing: we dont even have a pay for play salary fund that we can contribute to. As far as I can tell, the Bickell one is just him and maybe a few others. Maybe they'd take contributions but they arent really seeking any. Why? All donor money needs to go to the pay for play fund. Then the general fund can fund everything else. They are funding volleyball, they can fund miscellaneous football and basketball stuff. There really shouldn't be a Panther Club any more beyond donor seating.

That other NIL fund is a LEGIT fund, meaning players get market value for what donors want to pay for their content. As I've said a million times, college athletes, on the open market have close to $0 value so any type of legit NIL fund isnt going to do anything in terms of player retention or recruiting. We need to heavily fund a pay for play fund and advertise the heck out of it.
You may be right, as I don’t know how we get our $ compared to other schools. Who knows what Bickell is giving as I find it odd that we don’t see players doing the fake promo adds for his companies…

What’s the car dealer…Bowser? They seem to be the only one advertised by players. That right there should show you what limited funds we have. Thank you Bowser but we need far bigger fish.

So SMF…how would you spend our small amount of $?

I like your approach. My only concern and there may not be much you can do about this with limited resources is how a guy like Pollick would feel about us throwing a bunch of money at bass. Does he then feel like he’s not a priority and become jaded?
I hear you. We have had far more success recruiting HS DB’s as compared to HS LB so my guess is the staff made a Business decision with our limited funds. maybe you do a little something for Pollock and tell him once he proves himself he will be taken care of.

Reactions: PittMan2003
I think it may be wise to consider Pitt becoming "Transfer U".

Upper class transfers may quite possibly need less "investment" as long as they have a shot at seeing the field.

Pitt will never have sick NIL $$. Transfers may be had for less.

Additionally, focusing on transfers levels the recruiting playing field. We cant draw flies to HF.....HS stud recruits laugh at us.

Whereas transfers likely dont care about that tradition crap....they want to play.

We should build a brand where any and all transfers have an interest in coming here.

The days of 100 years of tradition at a place like Pitt is meaningless.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You may be right, as I don’t know how we get our $ compared to other schools. Who knows what Bickell is giving as I find it odd that we don’t see players doing the fake promo adds for his companies…

What’s the car dealer…Bowser? They seem to be the only one advertised by players. That right there should show you what limited funds we have. Thank you Bowser but we need far bigger fish.

So SMF…how would you spend our small amount of $?

I'm not going to answer that because its a failure that we dont have a large pay for play fund. SMU and TT are paying players 25K-30K per year. TT has the 22nd ranked class and you may say why so low......but look who's ahead of them. WVU has been a disaster under Neal Brown but they have the #29 class while we are at 60 and just won the friggin ACC. Why? WVU has a well-organized and well funded pay for play fund. Heather needs to stop focusing so much on volleyball and get an NIL fund going.....well unofficially because schools arent allowed to be involved in this but you know what I mean. We are all diehard Pitt fans, right? Do any of you know what the NIL funds are called or how to donate? That's my point

I'm not going to answer that because its a failure that we dont have a large pay for play fund. SMU and TT are paying players 25K-30K per year. TT has the 22nd ranked class and you may say why so low......but look who's ahead of them. WVU has been a disaster under Neal Brown but they have the #29 class while we are at 60 and just won the friggin ACC. Why? WVU has a well-organized and well funded pay for play fund. Heather needs to stop focusing so much on volleyball and get an NIL fund going.....well unofficially because schools arent allowed to be involved in this but you know what I mean. We are all diehard Pitt fans, right? Do any of you know what the NIL funds are called or how to donate? That's my point
I agree, Pitt and the ACC are way behind in NIL. Instead of trying to get it regulated like the ACC, other conferences were quickly setting up funds and paying players. It should be HL's top priority.

I agree, Pitt and the ACC are way behind in NIL. Instead of trying to get it regulated like the ACC, other conferences were quickly setting up funds and paying players. It should be HL's top priority.
It absolutely should be. The question is why it seemingly is not a priority at all?

Is it her?

Is it the fact the existing (at the time) what would be called mega donors were chased away long ago?

Is it the school having such distaste at the mere concept of pay for play that we refuse to engage?

Or is it because it is a unwoke sport and it wouldn’t be possible to reciprocate with the favored sports?

Or all or most of the above?

Losing so many committed recruits right after multiple successful seasons HAS to be alarming to the AD…right?

It absolutely should be. The question is why it seemingly is not a priority at all?

Is it her?

Is it the fact the existing (at the time) what would be called mega donors were chased away long ago?

Is it the school having such distaste at the mere concept of pay for play that we refuse to engage?

Or is it because it is a unwoke sport and it wouldn’t be possible to reciprocate with the favored sports?

Losing so many committed recruits right after multiple successful seasons HAS to be alarming to the AD…right?

I think the reason she is ignoring it is because technically schools arent supposed to be involved and she isnt allowed to be. She has a JD and seems to be an honest, ethical person who won't take unnecessary risks (see her taking the General Counsel's advice to not hire Sean Miller when he wanted the job and instead hired Capel). Its a new ballgame now. NIL is everything. Panther Club is obsolete. She needs to be indirectly gathering donors to create a pay for play fund. I went on Alliance 412's page and there wasnt even a place to donate.

Pitt needs a fund to come out and say they are paying players 30K/year and some players more. This is how much we need. Contribute or be happy with 6-6.

The other reason she isnt ignoring it is because NIL donations take away from Panther Club/volleyball donations.

Can the AD have any input of influence into NIL or is there a boundary that the school and MIL must have clear boundaries?

It seems most NILs are set up of large donor fans and a group of past athletes.

The Chris Bickel97 NIL? Mark Cuban fan NIL? Aaron Donald golden panther NIL?

The ACC doesn’t care about football. That’s why the ACC is in the situation it is in. And that’s why it’s so far behind when it comes to NIL.
You can’t be serious. Football is the cash cow of college athletics, and the ACC folks know it. Just because they may not be as good at it as some others, does not mean that they don’t care about it.

Reactions: ThePanthers

Is it her?

I think that having experienced the mega-donor thing back in the 80s...and frankly, the trade-off with most of the mega-donor thing is giving up control of large swathes (FB, maybe MBB) of the athletic dept from the AD/Chancellor/BOT to the (usually petulant) mega-donors. I think that the Pitt admin doesn't want to do that.

And we aren't naive...Pitt is throwing around some money....everybody is. But, certainly not like a lot of others....

One last thing regarding the de-commits...IMO, moving forward, for a school like Pitt...that has some cache (we are putting guys into the NFL...have good facilities that we share with an NFL team)...I feel that it does make sense to be near a 50/50 split between transfers and HS kids in any given class. We saw pretty close to that last year and I bet that we will this year as well. And moving forward. Maybe it just seems that the portal overfloweth because that is all everybody is talking about...but to me it seems that the chances are pretty good that these decommits end up in the portal in a few years....

As far as your last statement..we lost some three-star kids...will probably be back filled with some other three star kids or transfers...I mean...I wouldn't be 'alarmed' until I see what the end result is...

You can’t be serious. Football is the cash cow of college athletics, and the ACC folks know it. Just because they may not be as good at it as some others, does not mean that they don’t care about it.

The ACC doesn’t care about football.

Is it her?

Well it would be unfair to pay men to participate in an athletic endeavor without paying the women's volleyball team more. They have a better record.

Excellent post….

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Duzz opened up a bigger recruiting geographic footprint and not surprising some kids like Pollick could be poached by the south. Article suggests wanted to stay closer to home, whether for family or financial, but likely should take little stock in early recruit verbals when they are not local.

Also, with the threads about disappointing and failing seasons, I looked back on 247 and noticed that Pitts average player rating has consistently been below UNC and Miami over the last 4-5 years. They have also been below GT or tied with them over the same time frame. If we base disappointment on our perception of where we want Pitt to be (win natty, acc), then yes they disappointment. But per recruiting, which is usually correlated pretty well with success, they should typically finish no higher than 3rd to 4th in coastal.

I get it, but they had KP and JA last year, but Duzz still brought them here. I’ll switch my tone though to more disappointed in recruiting especially after an ACC champ than W-L disappointment for this season when we look at their roster. If Duzz could get a top 25 class, no reason he can’t get in the new playoff conversation, but I don’t view his on field results as a failure given the paper talent he faces. If anything, Duzz has more success on the field than he should have given his recruiting, which has lagged most of the coastal.

4upmc, one of the best posts I've read in quite awhile. Thank you. I will add this: I hated Pitt's performance this season for lots of reasons (you know them all) but with the season likely over at least with respect to events that might influence primary national signing day recruit decisions), 8 & 4, doesn't look so bad especially following the previous season's success. Let's hope that undecided recruits and transfer portal candidates see Pitt as a worthy landing spot. I still think that Pitt can become a 2nd tier football school (2nd tier meaning just below the perennial top 15). Its not there yet, and it may lose momentum, but this year with its 8 & 4 record, its success with all - ACC selections, etc. (if Calijah Kancey can win a major national award, that win will replace that "etc."), does not set back college football's perception of Pitt.

Last edited:
Seriously.

Horrible tv deal that would have been a non-starter in any conference that prioritizes football.

Horrible NIL.

and people actually think these teams/the conference actually cares?
The TV deal is for all sports. The conference is not allowed to have anything to do with NIL.

You are 100% wrong.

Good post. I would quibble that Mincey didn't leave for NIL but for the Notre Dame cache.

Let’s see…… They don’t care about football 🤔……They don’t care about basketball 🤔……. They certainly don’t care about education🤔……. Apparently they don’t care about money either 🤔………… Gee, what do they care about? 🤔………..

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone would be surprised by this. It was pretty obvious that Pitt doesn't have any maniacal alumni that want to pay big bucks for kids but I also don't know that this is doom and gloom, either.

What we know about the NCAA is that schools are allowed to lie to kids. Happens at the lowest levels when they talk kids into "committing" to "B" teams where there aren't scholarships but there are grants in aid for kids that make the main team. Just a way to fill the roster. We've seen some kids already saying that NIL promises didn't come true. I don't know what's going on with recruits but it feels safe to say that kids are being promised money to commit.

This isn't great for Pitt but I don't think it's any reason to panic. Not yet, anyway. I sort of figured that this offseason was going to be bumpy. Lots of guys have been around the program for a while and are ready to move on. I think a coach or two will move on. NIL is worrisome but the school can't do anything on that front. I do think it will sort itself out when some big boosters realize they're not buying the championship they covet but that takes time.

I think that having experienced the mega-donor thing back in the 80s...and frankly, the trade-off with most of the mega-donor thing is giving up control of large swathes (FB, maybe MBB) of the athletic dept from the AD/Chancellor/BOT to the (usually petulant) mega-donors. I think that the Pitt admin doesn't want to do that.

And we aren't naive...Pitt is throwing around some money....everybody is. But, certainly not like a lot of others....

One last thing regarding the de-commits...IMO, moving forward, for a school like Pitt...that has some cache (we are putting guys into the NFL...have good facilities that we share with an NFL team)...I feel that it does make sense to be near a 50/50 split between transfers and HS kids in any given class. We saw pretty close to that last year and I bet that we will this year as well. And moving forward. Maybe it just seems that the portal overfloweth because that is all everybody is talking about...but to me it seems that the chances are pretty good that these decommits end up in the portal in a few years....

As far as your last statement..we lost some three-star kids...will probably be back filled with some other three star kids or transfers...I mean...I wouldn't be 'alarmed' until I see what the end result is...
I agree with the degree of star talent that reneged (but the QB is frightening). But I meant “alarmed” in terms of things spiraling quickly against the program despite actually having recent success (instead of after having cratered, which is how it usually happened). This has to be “alarming” in the sense that it is literally a new ball game now and different, more … perhaps discomfiting (aka sleazy)… actions are needed just to remain competitive, let alone improve. Quickly, too.

Let’s see…… They don’t care about football 🤔……They don’t care about basketball 🤔……. They certainly don’t care about education🤔……. Apparently they don’t care about money either 🤔………… Gee, what do they care about? 🤔………..

I think we’re all kinda wondering the same thing.

Some of this is a little overblown in terms of why recruiting hasn’t taken off.

There’s not much evidence that a good season translates to huge success on the trail.

Michigan is in the Top 2 in the playoff rankings, about to go to its second straight playoff, and just lost one of its top recruits to a team not going bowling.

Elite recruiters are going to give you elite recruiting. A good season isn’t going to turn a non-elite recruiter into an elite recruiter.

In the end, a 4* recruit decided to go play for a coach that is an elite recruiter and one of the most prestigious programs in the country.

A southern recruit is going to stay in the south.

None of that needs much of an explanation.

I'm going to be patient about NIL. I think it's going to turn out to be a disaster for a lot of programs in a few years. Dissension in locker rooms when 3 stars outperform 4 or 5 stars who got paid a lot more. Donors angry at coaches when players they paid for aren't getting enough playing time. Donors reneging on promises if they don't get the performance they expect. I can see lots of bad scenarios for this.

I agree with the degree of star talent that reneged (but the QB is frightening). But I meant “alarmed” in terms of things spiraling quickly against the program despite actually having recent success (instead of after having cratered, which is how it usually happened). This has to be “alarming” in the sense that it is literally a new ball game now and different, more … perhaps discomfiting (aka sleazy)… actions are needed just to remain competitive, let alone improve. Quickly, too.
Yes, its a new ball game. About 10-15 schools have the money (both boosters & ADept) to pilfer any player off any roster. Maybe some quarter will be given to a conference mate (will B10 and SEC raid each other too?). I really believe that if Pitt finds another Kenny Pickett or Jordan Addison that excels as an underclassman, and if a ND or USC really want them on their roster the following year, they will likely go there. I think that Pitt will try but at the end of the day, Pitt doesn't have the resources to compete toe-to-toe in those situations. Changing coaches or ADs or chancellors won't change that. JMO

I also think that Pitt is playing the game to the best of it's ability....I think that they are spending money to retain certain coaches....taking a shot on an up-and-comer (Underwood)....and trying to keep it rolling as long as they can.

Personally, I think that college football is a freight train barrelling down the mountain with no brakes and the engineer and conductor jumped off after the first turn. It seems that it isn't about anything anymore...just giving the masses something to bet on.... I mean, even the pro leagues are about more than that.... Its getting hard to care about something that even the people 'running' it don't seem to care about it....

I'm going to be patient about NIL. I think it's going to turn out to be a disaster for a lot of programs in a few years. Dissension in locker rooms when 3 stars outperform 4 or 5 stars who got paid a lot more. Donors angry at coaches when players they paid for aren't getting enough playing time. Donors reneging on promises if they don't get the performance they expect. I can see lots of bad scenarios for this.

I’m not sure why you think that would change anything? All of that is built into the price of doing business.

Yes, its a new ball game. About 10-15 schools have the money (both boosters & ADept) to pilfer any player off any roster. Maybe some quarter will be given to a conference mate (will B10 and SEC raid each other too?). I really believe that if Pitt finds another Kenny Pickett or Jordan Addison that excels as an underclassman, and if a ND or USC really want them on their roster the following year, they will likely go there. I think that Pitt will try but at the end of the day, Pitt doesn't have the resources to compete toe-to-toe in those situations. Changing coaches or ADs or chancellors won't change that. JMO

I also think that Pitt is playing the game to the best of it's ability....I think that they are spending money to retain certain coaches....taking a shot on an up-and-comer (Underwood)....and trying to keep it rolling as long as they can.

Personally, I think that college football is a freight train barrelling down the mountain with no brakes and the engineer and conductor jumped off after the first turn. It seems that it isn't about anything anymore...just giving the masses something to bet on.... I mean, even the pro leagues are about more than that.... Its getting hard to care about something that even the people 'running' it don't seem to care about it....
That’s very well said, can’t add anything..

One can hope, and that's about the best scenario to hope for.

I think we’re all kinda wondering the same thing.
No… I think your thought process on this has malfunctioned.,. It’s silly to think they don’t care….

If I tell my wife I’m not going to buy her the diamond ring she wants for Christmas, does that mean I don’t care? No. If it means that much to her, I’ll need It to come up with a plan.

None of us know what goes on behind the scenes. In some cases, their livelihood is at stake….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT