ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Wannstedt vs Narduzzi

You can't, on one day of the week, deride Chryst and Wisconsin as only having success because they play in a terrible division with a powderpuff schedule, and then on another day use them as an example as having greater success than Michigan or OSU or PSU. That is, if you wish to be taken seriously.

I never have said they were weak due to their division

Perception is not reality...

true, Wanny missed on Diffenbach & Ricketts, even though both had strong Pitt connections. Similar to Duzz missing Kristofec. Had zero chance with Pryor. Missed on that kid from woodland hills (Hall?). Both Wanny & Duzz got some nice rated talent (Paris Ford & Shady McCoy).

If anything both started strong then began to taper off in recruiting. Pretty similar

The difference is that, as far as I knew, Wanny still had pretty good relationships with WPIAL high school coaches, even at the end. Not that it mattered at the end, I guess, but those bridges were never burned.

Conversely, Narduzzi doesn't seem to have very good relationships with many prominent coaches locally. At least a few of them are openly antagonistic towards him. I'm not sure why that has happened, but he needs to mend fences if he is to recruit successfully in the WPIAL moving forward.

The difference is that, as far as I knew, Wanny still had pretty good relationships with WPIAL high school coaches, even at the end. Not that it mattered at the end, I guess, but those bridges were never burned.

Conversely, Narduzzi doesn't seem to have very good relationships with many prominent coaches locally. At least a few of them are openly antagonistic towards him. I'm not sure why that has happened, but he needs to mend fences if he is to recruit successfully in the WPIAL moving forward.

those good relationships really helped to reel in Diffenbach & Ricketts, who not only being local had strong Pitt ties.

Now, I'll agree with that. That situation needs to change. Chryst had better luck.

Now, I'll agree with that. That situation needs to change. Chryst had better luck.

I think owt has stated this often....every WPIAL gym teacher holds a grudge that Pitt doesn't offer someone on their team who is better suited to playing at Geneva rather than Pitt. Yet, PSU, ND, etc, aren't given the same treatment. So why should we bend over backward to appease these jokers when others don't? And even if we do appease, it doesn't work. We get Yezlovich from Woodland Hills and Michigan gets Mundy.

I think owt has stated this often....every WPIAL gym teacher holds a grudge that Pitt doesn't offer someone on their team who is better suited to playing at Geneva rather than Pitt. Yet, PSU, ND, etc, aren't given the same treatment. So why should we bend over backward to appease these jokers when others don't? And even if we do appease, it doesn't work. We get Yezlovich from Woodland Hills and Michigan gets Mundy.

Good Point. A lot of the gym teaching windbags look at Pitt as the minor leagues. Nevertheless, we need to do better with the bigger stars

I believe owt suggested hiring a recruiter just for the WPIAL. That might be the way to go.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Not only wanny, but ultimately the results show that Chryst brought in better players.

Edit: hell, I would kill to even have a guy like ray vinnopal playing safety on this team.

Vinopal was a Tony Gibson special (brought with him from Michigan) under Graham. But yes, Chryst did a better job if identifying talent, though barely. His 5th year seniors that are starting are not good. It is pathetic that Duzz's recruits cannot beat them out.

Reactions: PITTLAW
Whiff, again. What is important is your recruiting relative to your competition. Great list of examples of schools who have recruit at a higher level than their competition. THEN you still have to have great coaching to actually succeed.

You wanna go at again???

You wanna be embarrassed again?

I had some pity on you and laid off because you were clearly outgunned...

But if you wanna slap leather with the Meister again then load up your pea shooter and bring it, you four eyed water moccasin!!!

What is Wisconsin's recruiting relative to their competition? Are they on the same scale as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State? Yet they have had much better success.

They also play a much easier schedule.

Reactions: Jpripper88
There are other recruiting services that has rated them 4 Stars. Check Rivals, ESPN and 24/7. One is not better than the other....

We've had this discussion before, but you refuse to even acknowledge it, because it doesn't fit your narrative...

No. This is wrong.

If a player is a 3-star on three of the services and a 4-star on the fourth, it is more accurate to call him a 3-star (rather than reference the one outlier).

Which is why the composite exits. Wisdom of crowds. Take the average.

It is you that doesn’t get it...

No. This is wrong.

If a player is a 3-star on three of the services and a 4-star on the fourth, it is more accurate to call him a 3-star (rather than reference the one outlier).

Which is why the composite exits. Wisdom of crowds. Take the average.

It is you that doesn’t get it...

I've already accepted and acknowledge that premise from a good poster named cashisking884. From now on I will reference 24/7 when talking about stars and rankings, as long as we stick with that measurement going forward...

those good relationships really helped to reel in Diffenbach & Ricketts, who not only being local had strong Pitt ties.

It is not possible to get every local kid, even if the parents were a legacy. Ironhead's kid went to tOSU and there are other examples. Did Diffenbach or Ricketts actually have stellar college careers? Meh, you cannot worry about misses...you have to measure the results of the kids signed. The jury is out on Narduzzi as a coach and recruiter. He is getting close to the day of reckoning...so he better start producing wins. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: pittmeister
You wanna go at again???

You wanna be embarrassed again?

I had some pity on you and laid off because you were clearly outgunned...

But if you wanna slap leather with the Meister again then load up your pea shooter and bring it, you four eyed water moccasin!!!

What is Wisconsin's recruiting relative to their competition? Are they on the same scale as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State? Yet they have had much better success.
That isn't their competition. They play in the other division and rarely play those teams. Whoops. You ****ed up again. Shocking.

You've never embarrassed anyone except yourself and your family.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
I've already accepted and acknowledge that premise from a good poster named cashisking884. From now on I will reference 24/7 when talking about stars and rankings, as long as we stick with that measurement going forward...
Don't reference the 24/7 ranking. Use the composite. People have been telling you that for years.

Reactions: pittdan77
true, Wanny missed on Diffenbach & Ricketts, even though both had strong Pitt connections. Similar to Duzz missing Kristofec. Had zero chance with Pryor. Missed on that kid from woodland hills (Hall?). Both Wanny & Duzz got some nice rated talent (Paris Ford & Shady McCoy).

If anything both started strong then began to taper off in recruiting. Pretty similar
The biggest problem Pitt has is itself. If Capel cannot bring in top players, then that should tell you all you need to know. Capel is considered an elite recruiter.

That isn't their competition. They play in the other division and rarely play those teams. Whoops. You ****ed up again. Shocking.

You've never embarrassed anyone except yourself and your family.

So we change the argument AGAIN. So Pitt's competition is VT, Miami, NC, Syracuse, etc...

Dude, face the fact that you ain't too bright.

I love to debate people, and when someone makes a good point, I acknowledge and accept it.

You on the other hand will acknowledge nothing. Your main objective is to be right even when you're wrong and then be a pompous jackass in the process.

Today's example: "Whiffed again"

So if you want to go down that road, fine I can be even a bigger jackass and smarter too....

As I've said for awhile you don't have what it takes to keep up no matter which handle you post under. You don't have the wit or wisdom...

We just lost a recruit to Indiana that we needed bad, you think Wanny would have done that , maybe now and then, but not more than he beats those bottom feeders. Wanny beat out the big boys at times for top level talent

I haven't been around the message board for year, smartass...
you haven't been around the message board for "year"? 2010

So we change the argument AGAIN. So Pitt's competition is VT, Miami, NC, Syracuse, etc...

Dude, face the fact that you ain't too bright.

I love to debate people, and when someone makes a good point, I acknowledge and accept it.

You on the other hand will acknowledge nothing. Your main objective is to be right even when you're wrong and then be a pompous jackass in the process.

Today's example: "Whiffed again"

So if you want to go down that road, fine I can be even a bigger jackass and smarter too....

As I've said for awhile you don't have what it takes to keep up no matter which handle you post under. You don't have the wit or wisdom...
No one has ever changed the argument.

We need to recruit as well or better than our competition to have a chance to consistently compete. Our direct competition is our division. Right now we are, at best, 4th in that area. We also continue to schedule more talented teams outside of our conference and pile up the losses because of it. Those other schools don't do that. You still have to have coaching equal or better than that competition, too.

And I don't post from other handles. You obviously must, since you accuse everyone else all the time.

Last edited:
We just lost a recruit to Indiana that we needed bad, you think Wanny would have done that , maybe now and then, but not more than he beats those bottom feeders. Wanny beat out the big boys at times for top level talent

Not a surprise. Narduzzi usually only lands players who dont have other P5 offers.

you haven't been around the message board for "year"? 2010

No one has ever changed the argument.

We need to recruit as well or better than our competition to have a chance to consistently compete. Our direct competition is our division. Right now we are, at best, 4th in that area. We also continue to schedule more talented teams outside of our conference and pile up the losses because of it. Those other schools don't do that. You still have to have coaching equal or better than that competition, too.

So every one on this board has been telling me for YEARS, to use the composite ranking? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? No, I guess you don't... But if it'll help your self esteem any, we'll let you take that as a small victory.... LOL...

As for the rest of your incoherent jibberish, I will use the division as the measuring stick for success as long as you don't change it to suit your argument... That shouldn't last long...

So every one on this board has been telling me for YEARS, to use the composite ranking? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? No, I guess you don't... But if it'll help your self esteem any, we'll let you take that as a small victory.... LOL...

As for the rest of your incoherent jibberish, I will use the division as the measuring stick for success as long as you don't change it to suit your argument... That shouldn't last long...
Yes. Everyone with a brain has been saying it for years. You and a small contingent of apologetic morons ignore it again and again and again. You jump from site to site quoting whichever service suits your argument du jour.

The division is our direct competition and we are failing. We also continually schedule multiple OOC teams with more or equal talent. If we want to be like Wisconsin, and win all our OOC games, we can't do that or we need to recruit better than the teams we schedule AND have equal or better coaching. A couple of those teams are PSU and ND. We aren't close to either. This argument has never changed. You want to always to turn it into a national recruiting rankings discussion and straw man out that everyone expects top 5 or 10 national classes and Pitt to recruit like a blue blood. That isn't the case. That has never been the case.

You continually refuse to acknowledge that there aren't examples of programs who consistently out perform their recruiting rankings against their direct competition. You continually refuse to acknowledge that even if that were possible, believing Pitt could do that, it would mean you believe our staff would be head and shoulders better than our direct competition. That is clearly not a majority opinion.

Reactions: pittdan77
Yes. Everyone with a brain has been saying it for years. You and a small contingent of apologetic morons ignore it again and again and again. You jump from site to site quoting whichever service suits your argument du jour.

The division is our direct competition and we are failing. We also continually schedule multiple OOC teams with more or equal talent. If we want to be like Wisconsin, and win all our OOC games, we can't do that or we need to recruit better than the teams we schedule AND have equal or better coaching. A couple of those teams are PSU and ND. We aren't close to either. This argument has never changed. You want to always to turn it into a national recruiting rankings discussion and straw man out that everyone expects top 5 or 10 national classes and Pitt to recruit like a blue blood. That isn't the case. That has never been the case.

You continually refuse to acknowledge that there aren't examples of programs who consistently out perform their recruiting rankings against their direct competition. You continually refuse to acknowledge that even if that were possible, believing Pitt could do that, it would mean you believe our staff would be head and shoulders better than our direct competition. That is clearly not a majority opinion.

I REFUSE to acknowledge anything that you write because you have NO credibility whatsoever. You're a pompous ass that doesn't want to have an adult conversation. You want to bully, and insult people when they don't agree with you.

People on this board are sharing their opinion it doesn't make them right or wrong. So grow up or STFU.

You have anger issues little man:

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/great-start-to-2018.135930/

I REFUSE to acknowledge anything that you write because you have NO credibility whatsoever. You're a pompous ass that doesn't want to have an adult conversation. You want to bully, and insult people when they don't agree with you.

People on this board are sharing their opinion it doesn't make them right or wrong. So grow up or STFU.
Jesus. You're a moron.

Reactions: anon_vmuicqnzlyp3u
When you google "jpripper88"
You see a lot of places that you've been.

Are you too stupid to use a different handle except when you're on this message board MORON? You afraid you might.... DUH! Forget????

Wow....

Are you too stupid to use a different handle except when you're on this message board MORON? You afraid you might.... DUH! Forget????

Wow....

If you were paying attention, Jpripper88 has made the same, consistent arguments for a while now. You were literally liking posts I made earlier this week that said the exact same thing he is saying here. Is this personal or are you just looking for a fight?

Reactions: Jpripper88
If you were paying attention, Jpripper88 has made the same, consistent arguments for a while now. You were literally liking posts I made earlier this week that said the exact same thing he is saying here. Is this personal or are you just looking for a fight?

I don't have respect for him because he shows ZERO for others. It's just not me. If you look at other threads he's calling people names and ranting when you disagree with him.

I've argued with you and others on this board but I don't carry grudges. When you have a good point I acknowledge it.

It is not possible to get every local kid, even if the parents were a legacy. Ironhead's kid went to tOSU and there are other examples. Did Diffenbach or Ricketts actually have stellar college careers? Meh, you cannot worry about misses...you have to measure the results of the kids signed. The jury is out on Narduzzi as a coach and recruiter. He is getting close to the day of reckoning...so he better start producing wins. Hail to Pitt!
The issue is even with the kids of former Panther stars , you as their parent would love for them to follow in your footsteps , but you also want whats best for them . OSU or Pitt ..not much choice is there .
Pitt law where would you want your kid to go to law school Pitt or Harvard ! No choice there .
It's a vicious cycle to attract quality players you have to win to win you need quality players ...

An adult conversation? You accuse everyone else of having multiple screennames and being "Nitters" left and right. You can't type complete sentences. You accuse everyone of "changing the argument" and "never answering your questions" while completely ignoring what you quote and what is being discussed.

Wow....
So your argument/evidence that I use multiple screennames on Pantherlair is that I use the same screenname elsewhere? If you are looking for a moron, look in the mirror.

An adult conversation? You accuse everyone else of having multiple screennames and being "Nitters" left and right. You can't type complete sentences. You accuse everyone of "changing the argument" and "never answering your questions" while completely ignoring what you quote and what is being discussed.

So your argument/evidence that I use multiple screennames on Pantherlair is that I use the same screenname elsewhere? If you are looking for a moron, look in the mirror.

For your own little self esteem I'll let you have the last word....Johnny boy...

App State is in a Southern Hillbilly state, they put football above academics, so I'm sure they cheat better than we do, keep academic standards super low, cover up crimes, probably even payments to some degree. They are probably DYING to win, we are not.
North Carolina?

You’re dumb.
App state is full of hippies

Heyward grew up in Georgia.
He really has no ties to Pittsburgh

The issue is even with the kids of former Panther stars , you as their parent would love for them to follow in your footsteps , but you also want whats best for them . OSU or Pitt ..not much choice is there .
Pitt law where would you want your kid to go to law school Pitt or Harvard ! No choice there .
It's a vicious cycle to attract quality players you have to win to win you need quality players ...

If I was paying the tuition, and my kid was smart, I'd make my best case of persuading to enroll at Pitt. Being on law review and at the top of your class is typically better than being a middle of the pack graduate from Harvard. Big Law all pays about the same, presuming that is the kind of law they wanted to practice. Same goes for elite athletes...Pitt has certainly had no trouble getting kids to the league...and excelling there. It just takes a good recruiter to make the pitch...and close the deal. But I agree, Pitt needs to start producing results on the field...the honey moon of a vision and promises only rings true for so long. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: pbrad and paulbl99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT