ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Wannstedt vs Narduzzi

Heyward grew up in Georgia.
He really has no ties to Pittsburgh

Other than his father being a star running back for the Panthers? Heyward had no ties to tOSU either. Nobody, not even Saban and Meyer get every kid they want. Some kids want sunshine, some kids want to hunt/fish, some kids want the city, some kids want to be close to home, some kids want to be as far away from home as possible. And the story is not much different from alums from a school...I can count hundreds of friends whose children spurned their parents alma mater to attend a school of their choice...not a big deal. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: paulbl99
Other than his father being a star running back for the Panthers? Heyward had no ties to tOSU either. Nobody, not even Saban and Meyer get every kid they want. Some kids want sunshine, some kids want to hunt/fish, some kids want the city, some kids want to be close to home, some kids want to be as far away from home as possible. And the story is not much different from alums from a school...I can count hundreds of friends whose children spurned their parents alma mater to attend a school of their choice...not a big deal. Hail to Pitt!

If heyward grew up locally and his dad was a presence on campus regularly-
The analogy to the local legacies would be more valid .

Which is the point I was making

If heyward grew up locally and his dad was a presence on campus regularly-
The analogy to the local legacies would be more valid .

Which is the point I was making

At least Heyward had a great college career [and looks to be making an impact in the NFL as well]...losing the likes of the tennis coach's son and Ricketts was hardly a back breaker for recruiting or the on field end product...which was just one of the points I was making. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: paulbl99
If I was paying the tuition, and my kid was smart, I'd make my best case of persuading to enroll at Pitt. Being on law review and at the top of your class is typically better than being a middle of the pack graduate from Harvard. Big Law all pays about the same, presuming that is the kind of law they wanted to practice. Same goes for elite athletes...Pitt has certainly had no trouble getting kids to the league...and excelling there. It just takes a good recruiter to make the pitch...and close the deal. But I agree, Pitt needs to start producing results on the field...the honey moon of a vision and promises only rings true for so long. Hail to Pitt!
My kids going to Harvard if that choice is available. The people you meet there have the potential to change your life .

The whole thing is thinking that the brainiacs at Pitt don't fully understand the situation is ludicrous. They just don't care as much as they should !

If I was paying the tuition, and my kid was smart, I'd make my best case of persuading to enroll at Pitt. Being on law review and at the top of your class is typically better than being a middle of the pack graduate from Harvard. Big Law all pays about the same, presuming that is the kind of law they wanted to practice. Hail to Pitt!

Actually, I have family members that would strongly disagree with this claim. As of a few years ago, when the market was tight, there was a story in the PG about the valedictorian of the Pitt Law School being unable to find a job, and only 33% of the class overall had a job in the legal profession at graduation. That was around the time that the job market was at its worst, but Harvard still reported 100% employment. I'll take that middle-of-the-class Harvard degree every single time.

Reactions: foxchapelpanther
If I was paying the tuition, and my kid was smart, I'd make my best case of persuading to enroll at Pitt. Being on law review and at the top of your class is typically better than being a middle of the pack graduate from Harvard. Big Law all pays about the same, presuming that is the kind of law they wanted to practice. Hail to Pitt!

Actually, I have family members that would strongly disagree with this claim. As of a few years ago, when the market was tight, there was a story in the PG about the valedictorian of the Pitt Law School being unable to find a job, and only 33% of the class overall had a job in the legal profession at graduation. That was around the time that the job market was at its worst, but Harvard still reported 100% employment. I'll take that middle-of-the-class Harvard degree every single time.

I would choose last in your class at Harvard Law rather than valedictorian at Pitt. You got into Harvard, which nearly impossible. And the people ranked ahead of you are some of the brightest minds in the world.

I would choose last in your class at Harvard Law rather than valedictorian at Pitt. You got into Harvard, which nearly impossible. And the people ranked ahead of you are some of the brightest minds in the world.

I don't buy the Ivy League is the brightest. I meet a lot of dumb Ivy Leaguers. Yes they were knowledgeable on their topic but nothing else. But I would send my son to Ivy because the network cannot be touched.

I don't buy the Ivy League is the brightest. I meet a lot of dumb Ivy Leaguers. Yes they were knowledgeable on their topic but nothing else. But I would send my son to Ivy because the network cannot be touched.

Those dumb Ivy Leaguers got a 1480 on SATs

You can be taught a class on how to take the SAT, it's a full semester course taught in some high schools these days, be an idiot and get a good score.

I've practiced law in Allegheny County for over 4 decades. If I had just passed the bar and wanted to practice law in Pittsburgh I would take a top of the class Pitt law degree. If I were looking for a job in another market I would take the Harvard.

A Harvard law degree is infinitely better than a Pitt law degree, regardless of class rank. It's also not true that everyone at Harvard Law is brilliant. You get into Harvard either by nailing the LSAT or by being a senator's kid.

You can be taught a class on how to take the SAT, it's a full semester course taught in some high schools these days, be an idiot and get a good score.

Those classes can improve your scores a little. Its not going to make a kid with Pitt scores attain Harvard scores. Come on.

Reactions: BFo8
W. I like the guy but c'mon...shouldn't an Ivy League guy be able to string 2 coherent sentences together?

Some Ivy Leaguers are there because their parents are unbelievably loaded and donated a lot of money. Legacies can get in with lower scores than regular schmucks

Watch the tape of App State and Psu and decide for yourself if they have better athletes than Pitt.I saw two wr that can fly,two Nfl type corners,very fast RB and a very accurate qb who made all the throws down the field.They matched Psu athleticism thats why it was a close game.bwdik

All true. They also have a NT who threw PSU’s interior lineman around like a rag doll. Kid will probably be playing on Sundays.

North Carolina?

You’re dumb.
App state is full of hippies
NO, YOU ARE DUMB, you're telling me that Appalachian State, on the border of Tennesse, near Virginia and Kentucky is not a Southern school, and North Carolina is not a Southern state? But they are hippies? LOL, that is dumb! Hippies in the middle of rural "Good Ole Boy" country?

NO, YOU ARE DUMB, you're telling me that Appalachian State, on the border of Tennesse, near Virginia and Kentucky is not a Southern school, and North Carolina is not a Southern state? But they are hippies? LOL, that is dumb! Hippies in the middle of rural "Good Ole Boy" country?

Yes, you’re dumb.

@ChrisDokish - Sep 11

Avg. Rivals recruiting ranking last 3 years

No. 16 Mississippi St 28.7
No. 15 TCU 29.7
No. 13 Virginia Tech 33.0

PITT 34.3

No. 6 Wisconsin 36.7
No. 24 Oklahoma St 38.7
No. 14 West Virginia 40.7
No. 17 Boise St 58.7
No. 18 UCF 59.0

This is a tired subject. Yes, the more high profile players you have, the better chance for high success...However, if you are recruiting the right players AND developing them, you can still win.

Are you telling me that App St has more pure talented players than Pitt???

I think the real problem is development... look at some of the high profile players that we have brought in that are on the bench or struggling.

These players have had little to no impact.

Hamlin - 4 Stars
Pugh - 4 Stars - transferred
Flowers - 4 Stars - transferred
Hendrix - 4 Stars
McKee - 4 Stars
Davis - 4 Stars
Drake - 4 Stars
Warren - 4 Stars
Ford - 5 Stars
Pine - 4 Stars
Reeves - 4 Stars - transferred
Sibley - 4 Stars - Injured

Then there are highly talented players that are still sitting on the bench, transferred or contribute very little:

Coleman - DB
Smith - WR
Butler - WR
Wheeler - DT
Miller - transferred
Garner- DB

These guys have been good, but not special yet...

Camp - 4 Stars
Watts - 4 Stars

Then there are s few players that have played better than expected based on their profile:

Wirginis - 2 Stars - Chryst recruit.
Weaver - low 3 Stars
Pinnock - low 3 stars
Idowu - 2 Stars - Chryst recruit
Jones - 2 Stars

Also, the recruiting is erratic....We do well in recruiting certain positions, but terrible at others...we have done well at DT, RB, and DB. We have done average or below average on every other position...

As someone pointed out this week a lot of the Chryst recruits are still starting...

Bottom line is that there is enough talent to compete for the division title. The recruiting talent needs to be spread out over the entire positions.

You make some good pints here.

Let’s also not leave out the possibility that some players may just play better in games than they do in practice. To tht point, if a coach doesn’t even give a highly recruited player (who looked dominant in HS) a chance to show what he can do on game day, then couldn’t it be argued that the coach potentially squandered a wonderful opportunity to make his team better? I think it could.

Was Pugh or Sibley even given a legit opportunity to show what he could do in a game during the season?

Who’s to say Sibley isn’t the best game day back on the team? Did he struggle that much in practice before the season? Who’s to say Pugh wouldn’t have flourished if given an opportunity to play LB for several series in a game? And what about MacVittie? He was never even given a chance to snap a bal in a game when the QBs ahead of him were horrific on game day... with nothing for Narduzzi to lose at that point.

If I were MacVittie, I’d be like... “FU coach for begging me to come to your school and play... then talking me up to the media like I was going to be the team savior... and then not even letting me play a snap during a season when all of the QBs ahead of me were a complete disaster... and then start talking about me to the media like I am not that good afterall... again without being given a chance in a game... so I look bad to other good school who may want a QB. Hey coach... I mean this with sincerity... F- YOU for screwing up my college football career!”

Some, including the coaches may believe MacVittie wasn’t the answer at QB. So why not put him in and prove that theory one way or another. Were there times during his last season where the game was out of reach or where the QBs just couldn’t do anything? Absoluuely. Therein lies one of the issues I have with Narduzzi. He will keep rolling with what will be almost certain failure at times instead taking a low risk high reward chance on anothr young kid waiting on the bench.

By the way... one of the criticisms by the coaches about MacVittie was that he did not throw as accurately in practice as others (as if any of QBs ahead of him did in a game). Give me a break. To that point I found a recent video of TMac throwing pretty accurately and running with the ball quite well too, albeit not against the same level of talent.

I just don’t know how a coach let’s it get to the point where a 4 star choosing to move, before he is even giving a chance show what he can do in an actual game.

You make some good pints here.

Let’s also not leave out the possibility that some players may just play better in games than they do in practice. To tht point, if a coach doesn’t even give a highly recruited player (who looked dominant in HS) a chance to show what he can do on game day, then couldn’t it be argued that the coach potentially squandered a wonderful opportunity to make his team better? I think it could.

Was Pugh or Sibley even given a legit opportunity to show what he could do in a game during the season?

Who’s to say Sibley isn’t the best game day back on the team? Did he struggle that much in practice before the season? Who’s to say Pugh wouldn’t have flourished if given an opportunity to play LB for several series in a game? And what about MacVittie? He was never even given a chance to snap a bal in a game when the QBs ahead of him were horrific on game day... with nothing for Narduzzi to lose at that point.

If I were MacVittie, I’d be like... “FU coach for begging me to come to your school and play... then talking me up to the media like I was going to be the team savior... and then not even letting me play a snap during a season when all of the QBs ahead of me were a complete disaster... and then start talking about me to the media like I am not that good afterall... again without being given a chance in a game... so I look bad to other good school who may want a QB. Hey coach... I mean this with sincerity... F- YOU for screwing up my college football career!”

Some, including the coaches may believe MacVittie wasn’t the answer at QB. So why not put him in and prove that theory one way or another. Were there times during his last season where the game was out of reach or where the QBs just couldn’t do anything? Absoluuely. Therein lies one of the issues I have with Narduzzi. He will keep rolling with what will be almost certain failure at times instead taking a low risk high reward chance on anothr young kid waiting on the bench.

By the way... one of the criticisms by the coaches about MacVittie was that he did not throw as accurately in practice as others (as if any of QBs ahead of him did in a game). Give me a break. To that point I found a recent video of TMac throwing pretty accurately and running with the ball quite well too, albeit not against the same level of talent.

I just don’t know how a coach let’s it get to the point where a 4 star choosing to move, before he is even giving a chance show what he can do in an actual game.
Agree. When you are basically a 500 team and coach and the guys you roll out there are consistently failing in games, you absolutely try the guys at the next level to see if they are gamers. Fans, the paying customers, deserve that. Unless you are 13-0 and penciled into the crystal football game regularly, it's arrogance not to do otherwise. I truly feel insulted as a customer walking out of a bad loss knowing the coach willfully refused to try someone else. It's bad business.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Agree. When you are basically a 500 team and coach and the guys you roll out there are consistently failing in games, you absolutely try the guys at the next level to see if they are gamers. Fans, the paying customers, deserve that. Unless you are 13-0 and penciled into the crystal football game regularly, it's arrogance not to do otherwise. I truly feel insulted as a customer walking out of a bad loss knowing the coach willfully refused to try someone else. It's bad business.

I like your take on it from a business perspective.

If an employee can’t seem to handle the job he’s been hired to do - no matter how many times the person is given a chance - it would simply e (as you say) “bad business” to not give another employee who is a chance who is trained for that position (but not yet given the opportunity) . Continuing with that same employ who’s not coming through is very likely going to cost the company money and customers/clients.

Even if the new employee doesn’t do any better, you would be quite foolish to not at least try, knowing the alternative is pretty much guaranteeing a result of continued failure.

Those classes can improve your scores a little. Its not going to make a kid with Pitt scores attain Harvard scores. Come on.

Disagree , one kid went from an 800 to a 1250

No effing way. A better explanation was that was a 1200 SAT kid who completely blew it off one time and got an 800. There is no way that a kid can legitimately try and get an 800, then take a class and go to 1250. Sorry, but no.

There is employment, and then there is "big law" employment. I'd like to see the story you refer to...as frankly, I do not believe it. It may be possible that the kid at the top of any particular school's class is so unpresentable that a firm may take a pass. But since I'm pretty familiar with Pitt's law grads, and how big law hires....I'd stick with my original answer. I had an undergrad Pitt classmate that attended Harvard for law, and was dating one of my Pitt law school classmates...he claimed Pitt's professors and class room instruction were every bit as good [and in some cases better] than what he was getting at Harvard for about 5 times the price [at the time]. No doubt there are contacts to be made with an Ivy education...but lesser schools afford some of the very same opportunities. Both he and his wife were hired by big law firms with offices in Pittsburgh upon graduation. As for football, which really was the point, do you honestly believe that playing for Pitt has held any kid with NFL talent back? The number of NFL hall of famers and Pro Bowl appearances from Pitt grads suggests otherwise. Hail to Pitt!

There is employment, and then there is "big law" employment. I'd like to see the story you refer to...as frankly, I do not believe it. It may be possible that the kid at the top of any particular school's class is so unpresentable that a firm may take a pass. But since I'm pretty familiar with Pitt's law grads, and how big law hires....I'd stick with my original answer. I had an undergrad Pitt classmate that attended Harvard for law, and was dating one of my Pitt law school classmates...he claimed Pitt's professors and class room instruction were every bit as good [and in some cases better] than what he was getting at Harvard for about 5 times the price [at the time]. No doubt there are contacts to be made with an Ivy education...but lesser schools afford some of the very same opportunities. Both he and his wife were hired by big law firms with offices in Pittsburgh upon graduation. As for football, which really was the point, do you honestly believe that playing for Pitt has held any kid with NFL talent back? The number of NFL hall of famers and Pro Bowl appearances from Pitt grads suggests otherwise. Hail to Pitt!

pittdoc is in an alternate universe, most likely not even a doc.

My experience in school is that you learn more from the people you surround yourself with . Most students at Pitt are further along educationally than students at ACC or Slippery Rock . Not thinking surrounding oneself with Ivy Leaguers , both students and instructors ,isn't in your intellectual benefit is ludicrous .
So let's say you meet and become friends with a fellow student whose a legacy and his father was a US senator or a fortune 500 CEO you don't think you'll learn more about life from associating with kids like that than the typicial Pitt students ?

Agree!
I have two examples that support the idea of paying more for an education doesn't always provide a better quality result.
#1-
Our kids went to a public HS in PA that is one of the best in Eastern PA and probably in all of PA.
One of their friends attended a local private HS which currently costs parents $ 28k/per yr.

Our older kid who was 3rd in his HS class and ended up in the top of his PITT class/ major when he graduated told us his public HS was way ahead in course work, compared to the $ 28k private school his friend attended. He knew this because he helped his friend with his school work from time to time. Both were in honors / college prep type of HS program.

# 2-
I've mentioned this before.
My cousin was the Head of the Business School and VP at a large State University.

He attended University of Pennsylvania ( undergrad), Wharton & Oxford ( grad school) resulting in a Phd in Economics. In addition to the U job he worked for a number of Governors and Presidential candidates over his career.

He had quite a resume, could have taught anywhere he wanted, but insisted on teaching at a state school.

He told us there were many others like him in all majors. You get a great education, comparable to Ivy's at most quality state U's for less money. He should know he went to and taught at both.

Of course there are exceptions, Ivy's and others like them do help with contacts but state quality state U's like PITT deliver a great education.

The company I worked for which was a $ 3 billion sub of a Fortune 500 company and preferred state school grads based on employee relations studies they performed over a long period of time showing the success rate of hires from various universities.

Our CEO had a comboDuquene and PITT under grad /engineering degrees, the CFO was from University of Michigan, Chief Legal Council was from University of Kansas, Chief Operations Officier was from University of Indiana, CIO was out of the SUNY system, and the Human Resource Sr VP was from Michigan State.

We did have a bunch of Cornell Engineering people running around but not in top jobs.

In the 34 years that I worked there ending up as a Global Business Director I can't remember hiring an Ivy grad?
I interviewed alot of them but they never seemed to make the final cut for various reasons?

Reactions: PITTLAW
My experience in school is that you learn more from the people you surround yourself with . Most students at Pitt are further along educationally than students at ACC or Slippery Rock . Not thinking surrounding oneself with Ivy Leaguers , both students and instructors ,isn't in your intellectual benefit is ludicrous .
So let's say you meet and become friends with a fellow student whose a legacy and his father was a US senator or a fortune 500 CEO you don't think you'll learn more about life from associating with kids like that than the typicial Pitt students ?

Its more about networking at the Ivy's. Lets say your 2 best friends there are a CEO's kid and a Senator's kid. If you play your cards right, you are set for life. You just cant do that level of networking at your normal Power 5 school (besides the few obvious exceptions)

Maybe. Also may just be rubbing their noses with drugs and the trappings of being lazy kids that had everything given to them [rather than working their way up]. Considering the Ivy schools generally get the best and brightest....statistically it probably is not surprising that they have many at the top of the heap. That said, if you are smart, work hard...there really is no limit to what you can accomplish with a Pitt degree [or from a similarly situated school]. There are plenty of equity partners at AMLaw 100 firms that are not Ivy grads, in fact, I'd be willing to guess, that the vast majority are not Ivy grads. I happen to be one of those guys, and of my partners which number over 150, only a small gaggle are from Ivy law schools [and that is true of most of the AMLaw 100 firms with which I am familiar]. Hail to Pitt!

No, but you will likely have better opportunities.

Maybe. Also may just be rubbing their noses with drugs and the trappings of being lazy kids that had everything given to them [rather than working their way up]. Considering the Ivy schools generally get the best and brightest....statistically it probably is not surprising that they have many at the top of the heap. That said, if you are smart, work hard...there really is no limit to what you can accomplish with a Pitt degree [or from a similarly situated school]. There are plenty of equity partners at AMLaw 100 firms that are not Ivy grads, in fact, I'd be willing to guess, that the vast majority are not Ivy grads. I happen to be one of those guys, and of my partners which number over 150, only a small gaggle are from Ivy law schools [and that is true of most of the AMLaw 100 firms with which I am familiar]. Hail to Pitt!
Normally the limiting factor is you . People have accomplished great success without any formal
education . However all stats show the higher level of your education the greater success you'll have .

Normally the limiting factor is you . People have accomplished great success without any formal
education . However all stats show the higher level of your education the greater success you'll have .

No argument with the general premise. However, if you are measuring the pinnacle of achievement in the legal profession as being an equity partner in an AMLaw 100 firm, there are far more of those partners that are not from Ivy law schools. And getting back to the real premise of the discussion...was if you were an elite athlete...attending Pitt to play football has never been a barrier to the league, or its hall of fame [despite not having a lot of great seasons of wins as a team or program]. Hail to Pitt!

No argument with the general premise. However, if you are measuring the pinnacle of achievement in the legal profession as being an equity partner in an AMLaw 100 firm, there are far more of those partners that are not from Ivy law schools. And getting back to the real premise of the discussion...was if you were an elite athlete...attending Pitt to play football has never been a barrier to the league, or its hall of fame [despite not having a lot of great seasons of wins as a team or program]. Hail to Pitt!
The pros find you no matter where play , the problem Pitt Fb is having now is convincing those guys to come here and play for PN .
Ps ..I've got multple degrees from Pitt , but I'm smart enough to realize that in just about every disciple an equalivent degree from Harvard is the far more impressive one to possess . Only a Pitt grad might feel otherwise .

Same old crap every year. Same recruiting classes ranked well in the bottom half of the power 5 and attendance well into the bottom half of the power 5. Same .500 record, give or take a game. Same comparisons to ranked mid-majors and ranked power 5 schools with low ranked recruiting. Those ranked teams almost always have easy schedules. Its now been almost 4 decades of endless stupidity of the same errors. Rivals like VaTech and PSU show us the obvious way to build up a program but nobody at Pitt has any brains to change course. Pitt is to college football what The Somme was to warfare.

What percentage of Law School Graduates are graduates of an Ivy League Law School? 1%? So when you say the majority of the partners at your firm arent Ivy grads, well, yea, there's only a small percentage of that population.

Reactions: BFo8
ADVERTISEMENT