ADVERTISEMENT

recruit's head is going to explode.

lol, great idea. why wouldnt the sec want us to jump on their coattails..

i mean, why not if you're the SEC? you get clemson, fsu, and miami. plus most of the east coast media markets. you could even put the all the schmuck schools together give them a lesser slice of the pie. call it sec light or something. pitt vs vandy, baby!

SEC would maybe take 5 or 6 teams. FSU, Clemson, VA and NC schools, and maybeeeeeeee Miami. That would probably be the pool they would choose from.

But Bilas is right. SEC is carrying out a hostile takeover of college football and becoming a mini-pro league. Every conference has to do something to try to stay relevant. Or hope you can get a seat on board the Death Star.

If I were the ACC right now, I'd approach everyone other than the SEC and consider a merger. Let the SEC have their own semipro minor league, everyone else can play college football. Maybe Ohio State, Clemson or ND will want to join them because they think they can compete, but it's an arms race where the rest of college football has no chance.

The SEC will have the resources to produce 8 or 9 of the top teams, I have no interest in them making up that portion of a 12 team playoff. No sense trying to keep up with them, just exclude them. They are in a different realm now.

Why would the SEC consider a merger with the ACC when they could just poach whatever teams they wanted?

Why would the SEC consider a merger with the ACC when they could just poach whatever teams they wanted?

acc agreement is through 2036 or something like that. the cost to get out of the conference for any school would be too prohibitive. for no cost, you get the whole conference. why not?

then you could have those historical rivalry games like GA/GT, USC/clemson, UF/FSU, Duke/Vandy, and Pitt/Bama.

acc agreement is through 2036 or something like that. the cost to get out of the conference for any school would be too prohibitive. for no cost, you get the whole conference. why not?

then you could have those historical rivalry games like GA/GT, USC/clemson, UF/FSU, Duke/Vandy, and Pitt/Bama.
🤣🤣🤣Pitt/Bama🤣🤣🤣

Well done!

Because once you poach what you want, what are the odds that the conference survives? If SEC and Big Ten came right now with offers to join, do you think the conference would survive with what is left? There really wouldn’t be anybody left to enforce the GOR.

It’s inevitable. A few years from now it will be a super conference of the largest revenue generating football programs. Perhaps 30 or 32 teams and everybody else will be competing for table scrap money.

The SEC, B1G, B12, PAC12, ACC, MWC, MAC, AAC, Conf USA, and a few others should all merge and be one entity that plays each other and plays postseason games between each other and maybe have a 4 team playoff at the end of the year to see the best of these teams…. Sounds like a great idea not sure why nobody ever thought of it

Reactions: caleco's
Because once you poach what you want, what are the odds that the conference survives? If SEC and Big Ten came right now with offers to join, do you think the conference would survive with what is left? There really wouldn’t be anybody left to enforce the GOR.

b/c whatever is left over has to stick together to collect the money. they have no other choice. clemson is stuck in the ACC for the time being.

It’s inevitable. A few years from now it will be a super conference of the largest revenue generating football programs. Perhaps 30 or 32 teams and everybody else will be competing for table scrap money.

i've been advocating this for years. take the top 20-ish teams. they can cheat all they want and do whatever. but if you finish bottom 3, you get relegated into the secondary group where you have to play by the rules. top teams in the schmuck division gets promoted and can do whatever they want (pay players, etc) in the subsequent season. so it's not a fixe system - schools can always sell the hope that they can get into the top division.

Reactions: FireballZ
b/c whatever is left over has to stick together to collect the money. they have no other choice. clemson is stuck in the ACC for the time being.

Not really. It can stick together as some other entity.

The GOR will probably be prohibitive for one. It’s not going to stop a mass exodus.

Duuuuude. We should, like, merge with an ocean and be the SEsea.

stoner-1.jpg

And that super conference is going to find out that they aren't so super when they lose half the college football fans, and their payouts actually go down in the long run.

There is a reason no secondary football league outside of college has survived. Nobody cares about minor league football unless there is some attachment to it.

And that super conference is going to find out that they aren't so super when they lose half the college football fans, and their payouts actually go down in the long run.

There is a reason no secondary football league outside of college has survived. Nobody cares about minor league football unless there is some attachment to it.

Eh. What fans are getting left out? The west coast? They don’t watch anyway.

I think the difference between this and those other startup leagues is the branding. These guys would all still have it. Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. have some long histories behind them. The Salt Lake City Catfish Barbers, or whatever stupid names they come up with when these other leagues pop up every certain number of years, do not.

In addition to that, these players are going to stick around for at least three years. And the NFL has a huge following, so people like to see what's on deck for the draft, whereas the AAF might have boasted a few guys the NFL teams were interested in signing for special teams. I just don't think it's apples to apples.

Okay now we are just drinking and blurting things out!
Now? We’ve been doing this all along. in all seriousness, this idea of an SEC superconference with 32 teams while everyone else is out, is so ridiculous, it's not worth mentioning. most of these schools are under contract with the GOR for a decade plus.. and the idea of leaving 98 D1 programs out in the cold, alienating everyone outside of 32 schools, is again, beyond foolish.

If I were the ACC right now, I'd approach everyone other than the SEC and consider a merger. Let the SEC have their own semipro minor league, everyone else can play college football. Maybe Ohio State, Clemson or ND will want to join them because they think they can compete, but it's an arms race where the rest of college football has no chance.

The SEC will have the resources to produce 8 or 9 of the top teams, I have no interest in them making up that portion of a 12 team playoff. No sense trying to keep up with them, just exclude them. They are in a different realm now.
I agree with this line of thinking. Maybe not an actual merger but I’d reach out to the Big Ten and Pac 12 in hopes of forming some type of pact. The SEC can’t accomplish what it wants to if the rest of the country sticks together.

If the ACC (or any power conference for that matter) merged with the SEC, the way I see it playing out is they’d use the additional votes to kick out the schools they don’t want so that all they have left is their “super league” of major programs.

If you had Super Conferences of the Big Ten and SEC, consisting of what they have had picked from the ACC/Big 12, you’re going to have most every region and every fan base that matters.

You lose the northeast, but the northeast isn’t driving college football ratings anyway. If anything you might actually gain viewers due to those professional sports populations tuning in to see the heavyweight, professional-like match ups.

The PAC 12 probably sticks around as a little brother if for no other reason than geographic. They are so isolated it’s difficult to pick off the schools and fold the conference.

So you have the SEC and Big Ten at the head of the table, and PAC 12 at least at the table.

There’s going to be a lot of fan bases left out, but probably not fan bases with such large numbers that it has an impact. That’s the entire reason why they weren’t invited to begin with.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
i mean, why not if you're the SEC? you get clemson, fsu, and miami. plus most of the east coast media markets. you could even put the all the schmuck schools together give them a lesser slice of the pie. call it sec light or something. pitt vs vandy, baby!

Pitt and Vandy administration puts the same effort into their program, that's for sure , sad

Reactions: pitt90seven
I agree with this line of thinking. Maybe not an actual merger but I’d reach out to the Big Ten and Pac 12 in hopes of forming some type of pact. The SEC can’t accomplish what it wants to if the rest of the country sticks together.

If the ACC (or any power conference for that matter) merged with the SEC, the way I see it playing out is they’d use the additional votes to kick out the schools they don’t want so that all they have left is their “super league” of major programs.
Merger wasn't actually the best word to use, but I was paraphrasing Bilas. Pact would be a better word. You want to maintain college football for the fans of the other schools that are not part of the SEC. My biggest concern is the Big 10 will do something stupid in order to counter this coup by the SEC and end up screwing things up for everyone else.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
not looking forward to the super conference b/c i hate every single one of those teams. i'm sure i'll still watch but i think a lot of eyeballs will go elsewhere.

football really is going to be more of a sport that exists in pockets in the future; not the sport played in every town in america that we all grew up with. kids who have parents with brains in their head aren't letting their kids play football. i am living it right now with my 10yo - he and his buddies ALL want to play football but no parents are allowing it. and these are all good athletes on various travel teams.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
If Pitt is left out at the big boy table. How are they going to pay for the new sports construction project??

Could you imagine if Pitt came out two weeks ago saying we are starting to build a new on campus football stadium. Only to find out a month later we are going to be relegated to a sub par league

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
Fans of Pitt ,wvu bc Syracuse, Virginia or vt tech, the nc schools. A lot of these teams fans tune in to watch big games on Saturday night. How many lose interest if their team is no longer included
All of them. Same thing with Fan bases of 6-7 schools in big ten and sec that don’t make the cut of this 32 super conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT