ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt Rule Changes

Well at least there should be less posts handwringing about it now.
Bigger news would have been Mack sneaking through this year. Oh well.

Well at least there should be less posts handwringing about it now.
Bigger news would have been Mack sneaking through this year. Oh well.
Might be able to use a couple of freshman this year without Narduzzi having a panic attack over using them. No question Ford would have spot played for Pitt late last season. Maybe Patti can end up being the backup QB instead of Town if the situation fits this year.

Reactions: PittCity
gotta think you will play the hell out of Freshman in blowouts from here on out....4 games seems a tad much for me...
Definitely. I think it will change the game more than people think.
Guys that normally would have never played will get time and some of them will show they belong on the field and will play the entire season and it will keep injured upperclassmen from playing while injured. We as fans will get to see a lot more freshman play in their first season.

Yeah as others have said, I expect this to result in some big changes. I would guess we will see a ton of freshmen playing from here on out especially if games get out of hand. There is really no sense not using kids for the 4 games.

I didn't read the rule, but is the rule generic so they can pick any 4 games they want to use a kid in? So in theory, you could use a freshmen in Game 1, 3, 8 and 12 and still redshirt him?

Reactions: bignorthu2
The biggest part of the new rule is that if a player gets injured in year 2,3, or 4 and does not play 4 games that they get a 5th year. This will help in making better decisions about players playing at less than 100%.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Yeah as others have said, I expect this to result in some big changes. I would guess we will see a ton of freshmen playing from here on out especially if games get out of hand. There is really no sense not using kids for the 4 games.

I didn't read the rule, but is the rule generic so they can pick any 4 games they want to use a kid in? So in theory, you could use a freshmen in Game 1, 3, 8 and 12 and still redshirt him?
yes, I believe that to be correct.

So a kid that Pitt may have been able to sell early playing to can go the nits or another honey hole and play a few games in behind a better starter and redshirt. Sort of like having your cake and getting to eat it too (at least a fourth of it).

I'm sure Nards will try to use this to his advantage and it would have helped up with Pickett and Ford last year but seems to me just a case of the rich getting richer.

So a kid that Pitt may have been able to sell early playing to can go the nits or another honey hole and play a few games in behind a better starter and redshirt. Sort of like having your cake and getting to eat it too (at least a fourth of it).

I'm sure Nards will try to use this to his advantage and it would have helped up with Pickett and Ford last year but seems to me just a case of the rich getting richer.
There is no doubt this lessens the sell of "it is harder to play early at School X because there is so much talent" but frankly any coach that is selling that is pretty stupid. The best schools aren't redshirting most of their FR, anyway. Of course, when you are more than 1 or 2 years into your job it is a pretty flaccid argument. You are basically telling a kid they are not good enough to play for that better program, which wants them, but they would be much better than anything you have in your program.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT