ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when Wanny beat UCF 52-7

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Oh, Wanny, you are dearly missed. My how things have changed. We went from a solid mid-tier program to Rutgers.

If I remember correctly, that was the trap game before Syracuse, who I think was still good at the time and had that big winning streak over us.....and we pounded them out the next week. Ironically those 2 teams will name the score on NardHackett

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Oh, Wanny, you are dearly missed. My how things have changed. We went from a solid mid-tier program to Rutgers.

If I remember correctly, that was the trap game before Syracuse, who I think was still good at the time and had that big winning streak over us.....and we pounded them out the next week. Ironically those 2 teams will name the score on NardHackett

Wanny was a crap coach who couldn’t win a crap conference.

The end.

NardHacket beat Clemson?

Interesting you mention Rutgers because Wanny couldn't beat Rutgers.

Wannstedt was a bad HC. He had every advantage and choked every time.

Wanny started that year 6-1 and finished 6-6. It was capped off with a loss to UConn after UConn was down several scores. Wanny was a God otherwise though...

Remember when you made a rational or semi-intelligent post? Me neither......

Wanny def crapped the bed at Pitt. With that said and now with hindsight I would have to imagine we would be better off today if he stayed than what happened. 1st you had the fiasco of his press conference. Then you had Mike Haymaker. Loved the High Octane. Cryst was not bad, but those were the years were we should have been recruiting insane talent with PSU and OSU having issues. Now we see Nards is not that great.

Basically what i am saying is if Pitt was not serious about a great replacement plan in place then we should have just kept Wanny. What we did was beyond pathetic.

Reactions: e-fresh and Pittx9
Wanny def crapped the bed at Pitt. With that said and now with hindsight I would have to imagine we would be better off today if he stayed than what happened. 1st you had the fiasco of his press conference. Then you had Mike Haymaker. Loved the High Octane. Cryst was not bad, but those were the years were we should have been recruiting insane talent with PSU and OSU having issues. Now we see Nards is not that great.

Basically what i am saying is if Pitt was not serious about a great replacement plan in place then we should have just kept Wanny. What we did was beyond pathetic.

They’re not serious, and they never will be. When they decided to value academics over athletics, fans should have understood the message and accepted it. Pitt needs to go hire a guy that can consistently get to 8 wins a year and never want to move from wpa and can speak to the media and kids. Hopefully they can find another DW in the next couple years.

I honestly don't think our record would have been any better under DW than we have had since. Maybe those last few BE years would have been slightly better, but not by much.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Dave Wannstedt always had the most talent and the most advantages at Pitt when we were in the BE. He never capitalized. He is allergic to winning. His throat closes up, his butthole tightens, and he loses handfuls of hair.

We had 9 and 10 win seasons under DW. We may never see that at Pitt again. He won plenty and honestly, more than the Pitt administration deserved. He won games of high importance, if not Pitt would not have been playing against Cincy for a defacto BE championship game.

We had 9 and 10 win seasons under DW. We may never see that at Pitt again. He won plenty and honestly, more than the Pitt administration deserved. He won games of high importance, if not Pitt would not have been playing against Cincy for a defacto BE championship game.
He won games of "high importance"? When? When we played Cincy as the "defacto BE championship game" we already had a conference loss in 6 games and the conference was awful. The only reason we were playing the "de facto BE championship" is because we played Cincy last instead of WVU. He knocked out WVU one year, but there was nothing at stake for us.

Going 9-4 and 10-3 versus those schedules and with those talent disparities was pathetic. He would be much worse off in the ACC.

He choked in every game of high importance.

Cincy-08
Cincy-09
UConn, WVU-10

Those seasons were bookended by 5-6, 6-6, 5-7 and 7-5. As you suggested DW could have been the best thing to ever happen to Pitt FB. Unfortunately for us he tied his own noose.

Ucf went 4-8 that year
They stunk
Btw, Pitt also lost to 4-8 Uconn that year, and got blown out by a 4-8 Michigan State team that fired their coach after the season

But yeah, those were the good old days :confused:

They’re not serious, and they never will be. When they decided to value academics over athletics, fans should have understood the message and accepted it. Pitt needs to go hire a guy that can consistently get to 8 wins a year and never want to move from wpa and can speak to the media and kids. Hopefully they can find another DW in the next couple years.

So you're saying academics isn't as valuable as athletics to a university, whose ONLY mission is to educate young men and women to become productive members of our society?

Reactions: PerchMan
So you're saying academics isn't as valuable as athletics to a university, whose ONLY mission is to educate young men and women to become productive members of our society?

I’m saying Pitt made that their choice. They didn’t have to and could be a football power of the North. People who care about academics say right choice....people who care more about athletics say crappy choice.

I’m saying Pitt made that their choice. They didn’t have to and could be a football power of the North. People who care about academics say right choice....people who care more about athletics say crappy choice.

How would being the football power of the north benefit the education of thousands of young men and women?

Look, I'd love for Pitt to have the balls to do something about this mediocrity that we call a football program. But that's not as important as achieving excellence in academics and providing an education for young people. That MUST come first. If we can somehow achieve success in athletics someday at the same time, great. But not at the expense of academics.

Besides, it's not mutually exclusive and it's not a zero sum game. A university can make the choice, as you put it, to be great in academics and still be great in athletics. It can be and is done. Pitt just doesn't know how to do that.

Because that UCF team was on the same planet as this UCF team?

Do you try to be stupid?

It’s working btw

You mean that team that had gone 4-8, 6-6, and 6-6 the previous three seasons and that Walt had curb stomped twice before losing a brainfart game in the dome in 2004?

Yeah they were real, real good.

Reactions: JSSTartan

I just want to reiterate that the win SMF is bragging about was followed by a 5-game losing streak. Wanny’s coaching career at Pitt is the classic case of the fish getting bigger each time the story is told.

UCF fan here. I went to that game in 2006. I took a colleague who was from South America that I trying to introduce to American football.

We left at halftime and I was embarrassed, lol. He understood the game and liked the atmosphere but said it was sad that UCF was such an unworthy opponent for Pitt.

I remember when Pitt ran the opening kickoff back for a TD and how I got that "here we go again" feeling about so many of George O'Leary's teams.

At least I got a free Knightro bobblehead for signing up for a UCF credit card that night, lol....

UCF fan here. I went to that game in 2006. I took a colleague who was from South America that I trying to introduce to American football.

We left at halftime and I was embarrassed, lol. He understood the game and liked the atmosphere but said it was sad that UCF was such an unworthy opponent for Pitt.

I remember when Pitt ran the opening kickoff back for a TD and how I got that "here we go again" feeling about so many of George O'Leary's teams.

At least I got a free Knightro bobblehead for signing up for a UCF credit card that night, lol....

Don't worry, you'll be getting your revenge this weekend. lol. I just hope Heupel is classy and decides to not run up the score on our hapless secondary.

Don't worry, you'll be getting your revenge this weekend. lol. I just hope Heupel is classy and decides to not run up the score on our hapless secondary.

But as a Bucs fan as well I am all too familiar with disappointment. However, if you do win, all of the damn Gators fans down here will love you. Arrogant SOB's. I actually had (2) co-workers that are Gators fans try to get me fired for hanging up a National Champions banner.

Reactions: PerchMan

You mean that team that had gone 4-8, 6-6, and 6-6 the previous three seasons and that Walt had curb stomped twice before losing a brainfart game in the dome in 2004?

Yeah they were real, real good.

I was trying to point out how the 2 programs have flipped since that day. UCF may beat us 52-7. An amazing program reversal in 10 years. Funny thing is that Pitt upgraded to the ACC while UCF is basically in the same conference as the American is the old CUSA give or take a few

I think it was 51-7, and wasn't the half time score 51-0? What's up with being unable to score in the second half?

Reactions: JSSTartan
After todays telephone conference call, I hink Heup may get fired up. A local Pitt area reporter asked several dumb questions, as if he had done absolutely no research, and had no respect for UCF. Asking if the words Mackenzie Milton and Heisman belonged in the same sentence, got things off to a wonderful start.

I used to get free credit card crap all of the time. They were always an easy score.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
I was trying to point out how the 2 programs have flipped since that day. UCF may beat us 52-7. An amazing program reversal in 10 years.
We havent done it just yet. Our record this decade outside of 2013 and 2017 vs the P5 is horrible - 0-6 or something like that.
If we can beat you Saturday, then the case can be made. Still with 16 wins in a row, we're at levels never achieved.

Last edited:
I was trying to point out how the 2 programs have flipped since that day. UCF may beat us 52-7. An amazing program reversal in 10 years. Funny thing is that Pitt upgraded to the ACC while UCF is basically in the same conference as the American is the old CUSA give or take a few

Pitt may have upgraded to the ACC but it’s still in Pennsylvania. More important than its conference, the F in UCF stands for Florida

Should have kept Dave one more season to see what he could have done, which I always thought could have been a 9-3 team versus that schedule. It also would have been fun watching the ground game with Lewis, Graham, Hyno running behind Gibbs, Jacobson, Turley, Nix and Rotherman.

The D-line would have been pretty good with Donald, Caragein, Chas and Lindsey.

Time has passed on what maybe could have been and Pitt stinks at football.

Last edited:
After todays telephone conference call, I hink Heup may get fired up. A local Pitt area reporter asked several dumb questions, as if he had done absolutely no research, and had no respect for UCF. Asking if the words Mackenzie Milton and Heisman belonged in the same sentence, got things off to a wonderful start.

You mean the local Pitt reporter wasnt slobbering all over the greatness that is James Franklin and State Penn University? Are you sure he was from Pittsburgh?!?!? Could it have been someone from say Ocala who used the term Yinz as a way to refer to Heup and the team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT