ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT: The SEC & Big Ten are looking to each have 4 automatic bids to the playoff when the next contract begins in 2026, per @CFBHeather

here is the story from CBS...

a toned down scenario (still BS) is this....

The two initially pushed for four automatic bids apiece, and will likely still fight for that, but the SEC and Big Ten also countered with a "3-3-2-2-1" model that would guarantee three spots for each conference, including a first-round bye for each league's respective champion. The Big 12 and ACC would each get two automatic bids, with one guaranteed spot held for the top-ranked Group of Five champion. That would leave three at-large bids for the next highest-ranked teams that didn't qualify for an auto-bid.

Doesn't this totally kill the regular season? Why watch Ohio State vs Michigan when the only thing at stake is determining who gets the 1st seed vs the 3rd seed?

Reactions: PittMan2003
How much power do they have over the whole process? Does the vote of an SEC school or Big 10 school count as double the vote of any group of 5 school? Do their votes count more than ACC or Big 12 votes?

Doesn't this totally kill the regular season? Why watch Ohio State vs Michigan when the only thing at stake is determining who gets the 1st seed vs the 3rd seed?
Does having an tournament kill you from watching college BB? Or the NFL? Or MLB? Way too much emphasis is placed on preserving the sanctity of college football like it is 1970 when everything else has already been blown up.

here is the story from CBS...

a toned down scenario (still BS) is this....

The two initially pushed for four automatic bids apiece, and will likely still fight for that, but the SEC and Big Ten also countered with a "3-3-2-2-1" model that would guarantee three spots for each conference, including a first-round bye for each league's respective champion. The Big 12 and ACC would each get two automatic bids, with one guaranteed spot held for the top-ranked Group of Five champion. That would leave three at-large bids for the next highest-ranked teams that didn't qualify for an auto-bid.
if im the big 12 and acc, i sign up for this. Big 10 and SEC are getting 3 in at minimum anyways. This model guarantees you 2 each..

Would be a no brainer and something they should jump all over.

I am going to say something that is not going to be popular but completely honest. The ACC is ass. It hasn't had two top 10 worthy teams in years. So why are we concerned about multiple bids? Look at this season.

Florida State.......POOF! Biggest bust in college FB this year.
Clemson goes out and gets waxed by Georgia.

So the two top programs immediately make the ACC look bad.
The U beat Florida in the swamp, but Florida is horrible.
Va Tech another program supposedly on the rise loses to Vanderbilt, the worst team in the SEC.
NC State another program who was supposedly on the rise, lost by 6 TD's to Tennessee and has given up 110 points to Tenn and Clemson.
UNC. Gave up 70 to James friggin Madison. I think they would give up 50 to Dolly Madison.
Louisville still might be good, but that would have been a nice win against ND but they lost.
BC lost at Mizzou, once again not a bad loss, but it could have helped the ACC.
GT started out with the big win over FSU, that doesn't look so impressive now and they are 3-2.
Syracuse lost to Stanford who lost to TCU.
SMU is 4-0 but they lost to BYU.

Pitt is 4-0 and has actually managed to beat two Big 12 teams. But we know our history, there isn't a successful we can't screw up. Aside from GT who only has played 2 OOC games, we are the only ACC team who hasn't lost an OOC game. Oh well except for Duke. Their guantlet of Elon, NW, MTSU and UConn, not exactly murder's row.

The ACC stinks. So does the Big 12. So yeah, if the SEC and Big 19 get 75% of the playoff berths, so be it.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I am going to say something that is not going to be popular but completely honest. The ACC is ass. It hasn't had two top 10 worthy teams in years. So why are we concerned about multiple bids? Look at this season.

Florida State.......POOF! Biggest bust in college FB this year.
Clemson goes out and gets waxed by Georgia.

So the two top programs immediately make the ACC look bad.
The U beat Florida in the swamp, but Florida is horrible.
Va Tech another program supposedly on the rise loses to Vanderbilt, the worst team in the SEC.
NC State another program who was supposedly on the rise, lost by 6 TD's to Tennessee and has given up 110 points to Tenn and Clemson.
UNC. Gave up 70 to James friggin Madison. I think they would give up 50 to Dolly Madison.
Louisville still might be good, but that would have been a nice win against ND but they lost.
BC lost at Mizzou, once again not a bad loss, but it could have helped the ACC.
GT started out with the big win over FSU, that doesn't look so impressive now and they are 3-2.
Syracuse lost to Stanford who lost to TCU.
SMU is 4-0 but they lost to BYU.

Pitt is 4-0 and has actually managed to beat two Big 12 teams. But we know our history, there isn't a successful we can't screw up. Aside from GT who only has played 2 OOC games, we are the only ACC team who hasn't lost an OOC game. Oh well except for Duke. Their guantlet of Elon, NW, MTSU and UConn, not exactly murder's row.

The ACC stinks. So does the Big 12. So yeah, if the SEC and Big 19 get 75% of the playoff berths, so be it.
i agree, that's why the ACC should jump at a deal that gives them 2 auto bids (If it's on the table) because most years, this conference really doesnt deserve two teams...

Look at last year, L'Ville was the runner up and they had 3 regular season losses, including one from us. The year before was UNC, who had 3 regular season losses and finished with 5 losses for the year. Neither would sniff the playoffs under this format.

but hoenestly, i cant imagine the big 10 and SEC would even agree to the ACC and Big 12 taking 4 spots out of 12.. WIth a G5 guarantee and most years, ND being in it, that only allows 3 each for those two conferences and they want at least 4..

If the big and sec are so good and everyone else sucks then they shouldn’t really need to worry about auto bids.

if 75% of the spots are an auto bid, is it really even a playoff anymore?

leave it to college football to make things more complicated than it needs to be. Give the P4 championship the bid, guarantee a spot for the G5 best team and the other 7 are at large bids. come up with a consensus on the system / rankings and the 7 highest ranked teams get in..

Reactions: ThePanthers
So instead of national champion, can we call them the champion whose leaders had more power? How many national titles does the big ten have in the last 30 years? But they deserve a higher percentage chance of winning one?

How much power do they have over the whole process? Does the vote of an SEC school or Big 10 school count as double the vote of any group of 5 school? Do their votes count more than ACC or Big 12 votes?

Well since the SEC is by far the best conference, and the Big Ten is the conference with the most eyeballs on it, the power that they have is that they are the only two conferences who matter. If the Big 12 or the ACC gets pissed off and refuses to participate, do you think that everything will just go back to the way it was 40 years ago, or do you suppose that everyone else would simply carry on without them?

Because it's pretty obvious which of those two would actually happen. And it's pretty obvious that most people simply will not care if someone like Oklahoma State (or, quite frankly, Pitt) refuses to participate.

Does having a tournament kill you from watching college BB? Or the NFL? Or MLB? Way too much emphasis is placed on preserving the sanctity of college football like it is 1970 when everything else has already been blown up.
Watching? You mean like on TV? Maybe not. But for people actually BUYING tickets? Absolutely it cheapens the regular season.

See people b!tch!ng about attendance at Pitt games on here all the time. Whining about things like tarping. Needing a smaller stadium. Very clear to me when reading posts like this, but those are people who DO NOT buy tickets or tangibly support Pitt athletics in any way.

Just me, of course, but those opinions mean VERY little. Anyone who does not tangibly support Pitt athletics by buying tickets and/or donating in support of the programs contributes little or nothing to Pitt’s potential success. Talk is cheap. Freeloading helps nothing..

Last edited:
This sounds like a hell of a deal, honestly, considering the 8th or 9th best team in the SEC will probably be stronger than 2nd best team in the ACC a good amount of the time. I'm calling that a per capita victory.

Also, there is the fact that the two conferences that generate the most money don't really need us at all and can go do their own thing in the very near future if provoked enough.

So, where do we sign?

I barely watch the cfb playoff now, this would have me watching it less or at all.

Especially when a lot of these playoff games are just going to be rematches of big or sec matchups

This sounds like a hell of a deal, honestly, considering the 8th or 9th best team in the SEC will probably be stronger than 2nd best team in the ACC a good amount of the time. I'm calling that a per capita victory.

Also, there is the fact that the two conferences that generate the most money don't really need us at all and can go do their own thing in the very near future if provoked enough.

So, where do we sign?

4 is too many from the Big Ten. Should be

SEC 4
B10 3
ACC 2
B12 2
G6 1
At-large 2 with 1 usually being Notre Dame

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT