ADVERTISEMENT

Rest of the season

pswagadactyl

Walk-on
Apr 19, 2018
Which teams left on our schedule (if any) will have O Lines remotely capable of stopping our D Line the rest of the season??
I figure a few here may have better insight than I....
H2P

ND has the best OL in the country. But they can’t stretch the field. We can overload the box against them.

Miami and VT will both be able to score.

Florida state is awful. They lost to a bad GT team.

NC state looks pretty bad as well.

Hard to say how good Miami is. Their O looks Pretty good but not sure if their D is as good as it has been.

Pickett and the O need to get better if this is going to be a special season. Way too many plays left on the field today

As the old saying goes...offense keeps you in games but defense wins games. We need to have our offense give us a chance with the remaining schedule.
This being said, they did that today. Hail to Pitt!

Hard to say how good Miami is. Their O looks Pretty good but not sure if their D is as good as it has been.

Pickett and the O need to get better if this is going to be a special season. Way too many plays left on the field today

At this point Clemson looks like it might be the only team on their schedule that they will need a vintage defense against with this offense.

Pitt ought to be 5-0 going to Miami. If we can get a split between Miami, and ND, we ought to win 8 games, with a shot at 9.

Are they explosive like Louisville?

ND has really good TEs. But they aren’t explosive. Defensively we match up really well against them. They want to line up and run you over. Ian Book is a game manager. In the box I like us against any team.

Pitt will have 4 difficult to very difficult games in ND, Miami, VT and Clemson. And with our less than stellar offense none of the other games are a lock I'm afraid to say. 7 and 4 seems like a reasonable record to bet on.

Reactions: gary2
Pitt will have 4 difficult to very difficult games in ND, Miami, VT and Clemson. And with our less than stellar offense none of the other games are a lock I'm afraid to say. 7 and 4 seems like a reasonable record to bet on.

Thanks Carnac. Hopefully that plays out as accurately as your Louisville doom and gloom predictions did.

Reactions: FireballZ

Well, that's an improvement from your previous doom and gloom predictions. At least you update after being consistently wrong.

Reactions: FireballZ

I don’t think it’s Kenny or The o-line. I think the play calling needs to improve.

Are they explosive like Louisville?
Miami is a lot better offensively than Louisville. That was pretty obvious when they played. They have explosive playmakers starting with QB and Rhett Lashlee knows how to use them in creative ways. They score a ton. They are a very different team this year.

VT isn’t too scary. ND is definitely a better team than Pitt, but the way they play, Pitt is certainly capable of beating them. The Pitt defense is obviously good. The Pitt offense obviously isn’t. Pitt won’t be able to run the ball against most of the better teams on the schedule. And Pickett isn’t going to beat anyone on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: pitt_fb_9x1
I don’t think there is an offensive line that can beat Pitt’s speed off the ball up front. QBs will be pressured throughout the season. The teams that can beat Pitt’s defense are still ND, Clemson and Miami simply because they can run a hurry-up out of the gun and find receivers with a dink and dunk offense. The only way to defend that is to destroy the receivers coming across the middle and force drops. FSU couldn’t stop the run and didn’t have the secondary presence last night against a very talented fast-paced offense. Expect the same from ND and Clemson.

The Offense has to get it together. Pickett has to step up in the pocket, set his feet and find the receivers. Receivers have to get open. Addison has been impressive, Mack had a presence yesterday but needs to have more impact in the game, shocky disappeared yesterday, Wayne couldn’t make catches and Krull was injured leaving only Moraga as a TE target yesterday at tight end. The glaring weaknesses to offload pressure from Pickett yesterday were lack of a tight end target in short pass situations(note the poor 3rd down conversion rate) and pass protection from the RB. Abdullah had a field day for Louisville. O-line played their best game I have seen in years. Pickett spent too much time finding people. That’s either on him or the receivers. If 3 secs goes by and he can’t find someone he gets erratic and loses accuracy and it carries over to subsequent plays. He has PTSD from the beatings he has taken.

Lastly, why are they having so many illegal procedure penalties? That’s still on Whipple IMO. The wide receivers should no where they to be and when to motion. The O-line is minimizing their mental errors, but now we are seeing mental errors from the receivers on 1st and 10 on sustained drives that totally kill the momentum! I want to see this offense put together an error free game against formidable competition. And throw the screens out of the playbook until you can get a few completions beyond the corners. Its a worthless play when the corners are staying at home sitting on it.

My apologies for ranting a bit, but we ARE 3-0 and on the cusp of making a move as a program!

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ND has really good TEs. But they aren’t explosive. Defensively we match up really well against them. They want to line up and run you over. Ian Book is a game manager. In the box I like us against any team.
Where are we going to get our points against them? We’d better turn them over a lot, otherwise I don’t think our O is good enough to get it done in that game.

Book isn’t stellar but he’s quite a bit more capable than Pickett, and has much better personnel around him on that O. But the Pitt D should match up well with them. They aren’t a particularly aggressive offensive team, they’re content to sustain drives and win by small margins.

This Pitt team will go only as far as the D will take it. Just like last year.

I'm actually worried that a more traditional, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, physical offense might be the Achilles heel for our defense. I keep thinking back to the BC game last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MajorMajors
Pretty much how I see it.

I would say best chance againet ND due to style of play

Next Vir.Tech - Doubt the same combo of being out physicaled and bad breaks repeats itself

Miami - Appears the have their QB - Picketts worst game last year - Maybe someone overlooks us

Clemson - Well we bear them once

Where are we going to get our points against them? We’d better turn them over a lot, otherwise I don’t think our O is good enough to get it done in that game.

Book isn’t stellar but he’s quite a bit more capable than Pickett, and has much better personnel around him on that O. But the Pitt D should match up well with them. They aren’t a particularly aggressive offensive team, they’re content to sustain drives and win by small margins.

This Pitt team will go only as far as the D will take it. Just like last year.

I’m not saying we are going to beat them. As you said, how are we going to score against them? But that’s true of any team remaining on our schedule. It’s difficult to see where any points come from looking at our offense.

But of the top tier teams in conference, ND right now looks like the best matchup. Narduzzi’s defense is designed to crash the box and force you to have to make plays downfield in the passing game. And with no real threat of a read-option, just a straight line up and run at you Offense? We will eat that alive, I don’t care how good the OL is. So even though our offense isn’t scoring on ND, I’m confident we will be in it at the end.

I’m not convinced we are within a score of Clemson or Miami at this point. Clemson and Miami’s offenses are going to score on us some. Even when our defense is fresh. We aren’t going to score on those teams at all. The saving grace against Lville was the offense could at least get first downs, stay on the field. We are going to struggle to get first downs against these teams. And that’s going to be asking too much of our defense come the 4th quarter, when its been on the field the entire game.

I think we are going to need a big special teams play in a game like that. Return a kick for a touchdown or nearly so. Or block a punt and get a cheap score that way.

Don't start this. This kind of thinking by the players get us in trouble.

Focus on next opponent.

I would say best chance againet ND due to style of play

Next Vir.Tech - Doubt the same combo of being out physicaled and bad breaks repeats itself

Miami - Appears the have their QB - Picketts worst game last year - Maybe someone overlooks us

Clemson - Well we bear them once

So ameoba shouldn't speculate on upcoming games because even though he isn't a player, if he was it would get us in trouble. But it's OK for you to speculate on upcoming games, because reasons and stuff. Apparently.

Reactions: ameoba defense
So ameoba shouldn't speculate on upcoming games because even though he isn't a player, if he was it would get us in trouble. But it's OK for you to speculate on upcoming games, because reasons and stuff. Apparently.
He said we would be 5-0 going into N.D.

I ranked our chances against our top opponents. I did not predict any outcome.

You see no difference?

You see no difference?
I said we should be 5-0 going into Miami. Big difference from saying we will be 5-0.

You see no difference?

You are both speculating on the chances that we will win future games. The fact that he was willing to put an exact number on his speculation and you weren't doesn't mean that you were doing anything differently.

Do people really think Virginia Tech is significantly better than us?
No I wouldn't even put that down as a probable loss it's a toss up. At this point I have miami, Clemson and nd as being better but I think we have a good chance of beating nd or miami. It's unlikely we beat both or clemson. That's why I said 8-3, lose 2 out of the three big ones and one more. If the offense can find itself, at this point I don't see it, I would say Clemson is the only one we still lose to.

ADVERTISEMENT