ADVERTISEMENT

Rooting Interest for this Saturday's games

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
Now that we Pitt fans get to sit back and relax on a stress-free Saturday, here's what I'll be rooting for in the all the games.

Rule of thumb #1: When in doubt, root for playoff chaos.
Rule of thumb #2: When in doubt, root for whatever is bad for PSU.
Rule of thumb #3: When in doubt, root against teams ranked above or near Pitt in the CFP poll.
Rule of thumb #4: Root against jerks.

Tonight at 6pm:

South Florida (+23.5)
against #5 Cincinnati
Reason: Cincinnati has been a fraud, which has been exposed a bit in recent weeks with narrow wins over poor teams. They get another poor team tonight, but I suspect they'll crush USF this time. But I'll still be rooting for USF to further expose the Fraudcats. Plus, Playoff Chaos!

Saturday, Noon Games:

#6 Michigan (-1.5)
against Penn State
Reason: I want no joy in Happy Valley ever. For any reason. I don't want PSU ranked. I can't stand Harbaugh, but I want him to win a close game and put another nail in PSU's major bowl hopes.

#13 Baylor (+5.5) against #8 Oklahoma
Reason: I want playoff chaos. I want Oklahoma to be knocked out of playoff consideration. Yes, it might help Pitt move up one more spot if Baylor loses, but that is outweighed by my wanting chaos.

Mississippi State (+5.5) against #17 Auburn
Reason: Pitt would jump over Auburn... and PSU's signature win gets tainted.

Northwestern (+24.5) against #18 Wisconsin
Reason: Another team for Pitt to jump over... and PSU's OTHER signature win gets tainted.

Clemson (-41.5) against UConn
Reason: We want Clemson to go 9-3 and work themselves back into the rankings.

Syracuse (+3) against Louisville
Reason: I want Syracuse to become bowl-eligible now, instead of needing to beat Pitt to get bowl eligible. Not a strong feeling either way, though.

Saturday, 3:30 Games:

Tennessee (+20)
against #1 Georgia
Reason: Chaos! Plus, obviously, a Tennessee upset would make Pitt look that much better.

#19 Purdue (+21) against #4 Ohio State
Reason: If Ohio State were to lose this game, it could set up the Big Ten to be left out of the playoff, as the other Big Ten teams cannibalize each other. Yes, it would keep Purdue ahead of Pitt, but I can live with that.

Minnesota (+4.5) against #20 Iowa
Reason: Another team for Pitt to jump over.

Miami (-2.5) against FSU
Reason: I will likely be the only Pitt fan rooting this way, but hear me out. If Pitt clinches the Coastal with a win over UVa, Narduzzi might bench people against Syracuse because the game wouldn't matter as much. But it matters to me as a Pitt fan... 10-2 beats 9-3..... and I want Pitt to "run through the tape". I want to win the Coastal by winning out, not by backing into it. I want Pitt to go 10-2 and Miami to go 8-4 and sneak into the rankings at the end of the year. I understand most Pitt fans don't want this.... but I hated how Pitt played in the season finale in 2018 after we clinched the Coastal the week before at 7-4. We were listless and got hammered by Miami to end 7-5 and become a national "joke" for being in the ACC championship game. I want the Syracuse game to *MATTER*, so Pitt is focused and hammers them. If that game doesn't matter, Narduzzi will not have the team ready to play and we'll lose and be 9-3 and go to the ACC title game on a loss. So I want Miami to keep the pressure on us.

Georgia Tech (-2) against Boston College
Reason: I can't stand Phil Jurkovic. Watched him play basketball up close in high school several times, and the kid is an outright punk. I want to deny BC bowl-eligibility. Yes, this is personal and many of you won't agree. I don't care. I don't want him to ever be hurt or anything, I just can't wish his teams to have success.

Duke (+11.5) against Virginia Tech
Reason: This is a tough one. Part of me wants VT to squeak out bowl eligibility this year to save Fuentes' job.... because Fuentes sucks and I want him to stay at VT forever. But I like Cutliffe, and I also think it is too late for Fuentes anyway.... so might as well bury the Hokies.

Saturday, 4:00 Games:

Maryland(+12)
against #7 Michigan State
Reason: Any Big Ten team eliminated from playoff consideration is a good thing.

Saturday, 7:00 Games:

#11 Texas A&M (-2.5)
against #15 Ole Miss
Reason: Pitt jumps Ole Miss if they lose.

Saturday, 7:30 Games:

LSU (+2.5)
against #25 Arkansas
Reason: Don't give the committee any reason to jump Arkansas over Pitt.

Virginia (+5.5) against Notre Dame
Reason: UVa wins and they sneak into the Top 25, making our game next week a marquee game. It is also ALWAYS a good thing for the ACC when Notre Dame loses to a conference team. Also, Kelly is a jerk.

NC State (+2) against Wake Forest
Reason: I want Pitt's opponent in the ACC championship game to be 10-2 or better. I think Wake is likely to lose to Clemson and maybe even at BC. I don't want an unranked 9-3 team in the ACC title game. Plus, I think Pitt matches up better against a slightly-above-average QB like Leary than against Hartman.

Saturday, 8:00 Games:

TCU (+12)
against #10 Oklahoma State
Reason: More Chaos!

Saturday, 10:30 Games:

Washington State (+14)
against #3 Oregon

good stuff.

for those interested.... believe it or not, yours truly, Will Ferrell was a teammate of Jim Harbaugh with the Indy Colts. he's a different cat for sure. but someone I had a great relationship with. he loves loves loves football. it was still a game to him. he was a breath of fresh air in the NFL. if you met him, you would most likely like him. long live coach khaki pants.

Now that we Pitt fans get to sit back and relax on a stress-free Saturday, here's what I'll be rooting for in the all the games.

Rule of thumb #3: When in doubt, root against teams ranked above or near Pitt in the CFP poll.

Tonight at 6pm:

South Florida (+23.5)
against #5 Cincinnati
Reason: Cincinnati has been a fraud, which has been exposed a bit in recent weeks with narrow wins over poor teams. They get another poor team tonight, but I suspect they'll crush USF this time. But I'll still be rooting for USF to further expose the Fraudcats. Plus, Playoff Chaos!

Saturday, Noon Games:

#6 Michigan (-1.5)
against Penn State
Reason: I want no joy in Happy Valley ever. For any reason. I don't want PSU ranked. I can't stand Harbaugh, but I want him to win a close game and put another nail in PSU's major bowl hopes.

Reason: I want playoff chaos. I want Oklahoma to be knocked out of playoff consideration. Yes, it might help Pitt move up one more spot if Baylor loses, but that is outweighed by my wanting chaos.

Reason: Another team for Pitt to jump over... and PSU's OTHER signature win gets tainted.

Reason: I want Syracuse to become bowl-eligible now, instead of needing to beat Pitt to get bowl eligible. Not a strong feeling either way, though.

Tennessee (+20)
against #1 Georgia
Reason: Chaos! Plus, obviously, a Tennessee upset would make Pitt look that much better.

Reason: If Ohio State were to lose this game, it could set up the Big Ten to be left out of the playoff, as the other Big Ten teams cannibalize each other. Yes, it would keep Purdue ahead of Pitt, but I can live with that.

Miami (-2.5) against FSU
Reason: I will likely be the only Pitt fan rooting this way, but hear me out. If Pitt clinches the Coastal with a win over UVa, Narduzzi might bench people against Syracuse because the game wouldn't matter as much. But it matters to me as a Pitt fan... 10-2 beats 9-3..... and I want Pitt to "run through the tape". I want to win the Coastal by winning out, not by backing into it. I want Pitt to go 10-2 and Miami to go 8-4 and sneak into the rankings at the end of the year. I understand most Pitt fans don't want this.... but I hated how Pitt played in the season finale in 2018 after we clinched the Coastal the week before at 7-4. We were listless and got hammered by Miami to end 7-5 and become a national "joke" for being in the ACC championship game. I want the Syracuse game to *MATTER*, so Pitt is focused and hammers them. If that game doesn't matter, Narduzzi will not have the team ready to play and we'll lose and be 9-3 and go to the ACC title game on a loss. So I want Miami to keep the pressure on us.

Reason: I can't stand Phil Jurkovic. Watched him play basketball up close in high school several times, and the kid is an outright punk. I want to deny BC bowl-eligibility. Yes, this is personal and many of you won't agree. I don't care. I don't want him to ever be hurt or anything, I just can't wish his teams to have success.

Reason: This is a tough one. Part of me wants VT to squeak out bowl eligibility this year to save Fuentes' job.... because Fuentes sucks and I want him to stay at VT forever. But I like Cutliffe, and I also think it is too late for Fuentes anyway.... so might as well bury the Hokies.

Maryland(+12)

#11 Texas A&M (-2.5)
against #15 Ole Miss

LSU (+2.5)
against #25 Arkansas

Reason: UVa wins and they sneak into the Top 25, making our game next week a marquee game. It is also ALWAYS a good thing for the ACC when Notre Dame loses to a conference team. Also, Kelly is a jerk.

Reason: I want Pitt's opponent in the ACC championship game to be 10-2 or better. I think Wake is likely to lose to Clemson and maybe even at BC. I don't want an unranked 9-3 team in the ACC title game. Plus, I think Pitt matches up better against a slightly-above-average QB like Leary than against Hartman.

TCU (+12)

Washington State (+14)
against #3 Oregon

well done… I like the way you think 🤔

the Miami FSU, its crazy to want Miami... you want Miami to lose ASAP.. With all the crazy bounces in the Miami Pitt game and the Pitt UNC game, its better to get the lead on Miami asap.. Plus a road game at Syracuse can be closer than expected the way they have played this year.
You want Miami to lose so that Syracuse doesn't become a must win game.

Tonight at 6pm:

South Florida (+23.5)
against #5 Cincinnati

Saturday, Noon Games:

#6 Michigan (-1.5)
against Penn State

Tennessee (+20)
against #1 Georgia

Miami (-2.5) against FSU

Maryland(+12)

#11 Texas A&M (-2.5)
against #15 Ole Miss

LSU (+2.5)
against #25 Arkansas

TCU (+12)

Washington State (+14)
against #3 Oregon

Just as a small footnote to Rule #2 ... Joe Knew.

the Miami FSU, its crazy to want Miami... you want Miami to lose ASAP.. With all the crazy bounces in the Miami Pitt game and the Pitt UNC game, its better to get the lead on Miami asap.. Plus a road game at Syracuse can be closer than expected the way they have played this year.
I know how Pitt played after clinching the Coastal in 2018.

Narduzzi will NOT have the team ready to play in Syracuse if the game doesn't mean anything. It's his history and his nature.

I am greedy and want a 10-2 regular season and not a 9-3 one.

I want Pitt to take the Coastal, not back into it.

Trust me... it will be WAY sweeter to win the Coastal at 10-2 and be ranked in the Top 15 than to win it at 9-3 and barely be in the Top 25.

Reactions: Pitt79
I completely agree with your reasoning. And I want to go into the Bowl season with a good chance to finish the year in the Top 10.
Exactly.

If the Syracuse games isn't a must win, Pitt *WILL* lose it.

Narduzzi will rest people that are slightly banged up. The practices that week will be less intense. Pitt will go in unfocused against Syracuse and lose.

Pitt will then be 9-3 and probably ranked 23rd to 25th (if at all).. with 0 buzz going into the ACC championship game.

Because Narduzzi only cares about "ACC championships" and doesn't realize the value in ending the season with a Top 10 ranking.

After Pitt won in the penultimate game in 2018 to clinch the Coastal at 7-4/6-1 and on the cusp of being ranked .... Pitt COMPLETELY laid an egg in the finale. Got hammered, ended up 7-5, and was a national joke for being in the ACC Championship game at 7-5. After clinching the Coastal, we failed to win another game and ended up 7-7.

I want Pitt to have *FULL* week of intense prep for Syracuse. I want the game to mean a lot. It is the only way Pitt wins the game.

So I want Miami to keep the pressure on us, so that we keep going out and winning. Iron sharpens iron.

It will be SO MUCH MORE satisfying to *TAKE* the Coastal instead of backing into it. To go 10-2 and be inside the Top 15 for the ACC Champ game with a chance for a Top 10 finish if we win out.

Knowing what you know about Pitt and its history... you do NOT want Syracuse to be a "meaningless" game to Narduzzi.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If Miami keeps winning, Pitt DOES NOT clinch the Coastal just by beating UVA. If Miami keeps winning, Pitt only clinches the coastal by beating BOTH UVA AND Cuse.

In my opinion, You root to clinch the coastal as soon as possible. The earliest you can do that is next week by beating UVA and having a Miami loss - if i had to choose he game for Miami to lose, its VT since we played them

If Miami keeps winning, Pitt DOES NOT clinch the Coastal just by beating UVA. If Miami keeps winning, Pitt only clinches the coastal by beating BOTH UVA AND Cuse.

In my opinion, You root to clinch the coastal as soon as possible. The earliest you can do that is next week by beating UVA and having a Miami loss - if i had to choose he game for Miami to lose, its VT since we played them
Your first sentence is correct.

I still want Miami to keep winning. I don't WANT to clinch as soon as possible, because then an unfocused Pitt will likely lose the Syracuse game and kill any chance for Pitt to finish in the Top 10 at the end of the year.

If the Syracuse game doesn't mean anything, we'll lose it. I want it to matter.

Just a note on Notre Dame. In most cases, not all, do we want Notre Dame to lose. For instance, when they play PSU or WVU, we root for ND.

But as it pertains to bowl selections, once Notre Dame is already 8-1 or whatever and in the Top 10, it is better for bowl selection for them to just win out and get a NY6 bowl because them getting a NY6 bowl won't hurt the ACC teams. The ACC will still get 1 NY6 spot and most of the time aren't getting a 2nd one. The problem is if ND goes 9-3 and steals the Gator Bowl or something.

That being said, I am still rooting for UVA this weekend for 2 reasons:
1) A 10-2 ND still has a good shot at a NY6 Bowl this year
2) I'm all in on Pitt getting the ACC NY6 Bowl slot and thus could care less if Wake or someone gets ripped out of the Gator Bowl

good stuff.

for those interested.... believe it or not, yours truly, Will Ferrell was a teammate of Jim Harbaugh with the Indy Colts. he's a different cat for sure. but someone I had a great relationship with. he loves loves loves football. it was still a game to him. he was a breath of fresh air in the NFL. if you met him, you would most likely like him. long live coach khaki pants.

Hmm...I think I know who this is then.

I never got the impression he was a bad guy. Maybe slightly neurotic, sure. Always thought he got a raw deal as the scapegoat on those post-McMahon Bears teams.

Reactions: WillFerrell
I think this year will be different. We were 7-4 and already destined for a mediocre bowl with a mediocre record.

at 9-2, probably ranked in the CFP around #10 (and what if there is playoff chaos between now and then?), Narduzzi will want 10-2. He would hope for a quick big lead, then rest the starters.

I'd much rather play for a conference championship. Call me crazy but isn't that the point?
Pitt plays for the conference championship if it beats UVa and Syracuse.

We are much likelier to win both of those if they are MEANINGFUL games.

We don't have to care what Miami does.

I want Pitt FOCUSED and ready to play against Syracuse. That only happens if the game matters.

If the game doesn't matter, Pitt *WILL* lose it.

So let's win the last two, and not care what Miami does.

Pitt plays for the conference championship if it beats UVa and Syracuse.

We are much likelier to win both of those if they are MEANINGFUL games.

We don't have to care what Miami does.

I want Pitt FOCUSED and ready to play against Syracuse. That only happens if the game matters.

If the game doesn't matter, Pitt *WILL* lose it.

So let's win the last two, and not care what Miami does.
I still want Miami to lose and you can't make me not want that. LOL

Tonight at 6pm:

South Florida (+23.5)
against #5 Cincinnati

Saturday, Noon Games:

#6 Michigan (-1.5)
against Penn State

Tennessee (+20)
against #1 Georgia

Miami (-2.5) against FSU

Maryland(+12)

#11 Texas A&M (-2.5)
against #15 Ole Miss

LSU (+2.5)
against #25 Arkansas

TCU (+12)

Washington State (+14)
against #3 Oregon
Love this…!

Tonight at 6pm:

South Florida (+23.5)
against #5 Cincinnati

Saturday, Noon Games:

#6 Michigan (-1.5)
against Penn State

Tennessee (+20)
against #1 Georgia

Miami (-2.5) against FSU

Maryland(+12)

#11 Texas A&M (-2.5)
against #15 Ole Miss

LSU (+2.5)
against #25 Arkansas

TCU (+12)

Washington State (+14)
against #3 Oregon
Great rundown- Although I think you’re crazy to root for Miami!!!

if PItt has a chance for their 10th win against Cuse - no one is sitting ! 10 regular season wins even if the Coastal is already clinched would be a big deal.

Great rundown- Although I think you’re crazy to root for Miami!!!

if PItt has a chance for their 10th win against Cuse - no one is sitting ! 10 regular season wins even if the Coastal is already clinched would be a big deal.
To you and I it would be a big deal.

I'm not sure it would be a big deal to Narduzzi. He would want to rest people for the ACC champ game. His M.O. since he's been here is to "not care about rankings, I only care about championships".

Pitt would spend the post UVa week "celebrating" and going easy in practice and resting guys who are banged up.

And Pitt would lose the Syracuse game.

I'd much rather play for a conference championship. Call me crazy but isn't that the point?
This. Whether it's 9-3 or 10-2, that's a good season and not backing into anything imo.

Don't get me wrong. I prefer 10-2, but 9-3 is nothing to be a shame of.

I'm rooting hard for fsu this week. And then hope pitt could take care of business vs uva. Which won't be an easy task.

This. Whether it's 9-3 or 10-2, that's a good season and not backing into anything imo.

Don't get me wrong. I prefer 10-2, but 9-3 is nothing to be a shame of.

I'm rooting hard for fsu this week. And then hope pitt could take care of business vs uva. Which won't be an easy task.
I disagree.

There is a massive difference between a potential Top 10 finish at 12-2 vs barely being in the Top 25 with 3 losses.

I want Narduzzi to be forced to play the starters and focus on beating Syracuse.

I don't want a "good" season. I want a GREAT season. The opportunity is there. I want save Narduzzi from himself. If Syracuse game isn't needed for the Coastal, we will lose.

I disagree.

There is a massive difference between a potential Top 10 finish at 12-2 vs barely being in the Top 25 with 3 losses.

I want Narduzzi to be forced to play the starters and focus on beating Syracuse.

I don't want a "good" season. I want a GREAT season. The opportunity is there. I want save Narduzzi from himself. If Syracuse game isn't needed for the Coastal, we will lose.
Yeah. Well agree to disagree. I mean you say potential 12-2, but I would rather have an potential 11-3 season with a shot at doing it guaranteed after next week than having a potential 9-3 finish but not even getting to play for the championship.

If you feel slighted playing for a championship at 9-3 vs 10-2, that sounds like a you problem. I'll take either and enjoy the shit out of it.

While I agree with Pitt laying an egg in a meaningless game, this year feels different with Pickett. Whether it means anything or not, the Cuse game is another opportunity for Pickett to pour it on, and he will.

I too am for chaos and i hate the upper half of the big ten

But the reality is between Mich state, Michigan and OSU, if any one of these three runs the table they are in.

As for being satisfied with a 9-3 finish, to each his own

But you are a fool if that satisfies you

You also want WVU to get their ass kicked by Kansas State. You want WVU to have to sweat trying to get to bowl eligible. Maybe the WVU Texas game the following week eliminates one of them for bowl eligibility. Beautiful !
I think WVU is done … I saw that last game… their offense is only capable of moving back wards….

To you and I it would be a big deal.

I'm not sure it would be a big deal to Narduzzi. He would want to rest people for the ACC champ game. His M.O. since he's been here is to "not care about rankings, I only care about championships".

Pitt would spend the post UVa week "celebrating" and going easy in practice and resting guys who are banged up.

And Pitt would lose the Syracuse game.
Only caring about championships is correct, sorry to inform you of this. Pitt fans get so obsessed with 10 wins because we have failed to get them for so long, but no one else cares. Recruits care about coaches, NFL pipelines, facilities, not 9 vs 10.

Not in college football. College football is all about perception because of recruiting. We aren't winning the national championship so we mine as well win as many games as possible. Pitt needs to prove they are trending up......no more bad losses! Rankings matter to recruits.

You also want WVU to get their ass kicked by Kansas State. You want WVU to have to sweat trying to get to bowl eligible. Maybe the WVU Texas game the following week eliminates one of them for bowl eligibility. Beautiful !
Since they’re going to be firmly ahead of us in hoops for a while and are obnoxious about it, I want to be firmly ahead of them in football. Finish with ~2x more wins than them this year and then beat them in 2022. Even without Pickett, we’ll return a decent team.

I know how Pitt played after clinching the Coastal in 2018.

Narduzzi will NOT have the team ready to play in Syracuse if the game doesn't mean anything. It's his history and his nature.

I am greedy and want a 10-2 regular season and not a 9-3 one.

I want Pitt to take the Coastal, not back into it.

Trust me... it will be WAY sweeter to win the Coastal at 10-2 and be ranked in the Top 15 than to win it at 9-3 and barely be in the Top 25.
Morrissey having his leg broken late in the Wake game and Miami being a thorn in Pitt's side for like 40+ years had a lot more to do with than anything. Not to mention, KP was 2nd year SO then... He's now a 5tg year SR.

Reactions: WishfulPanther
Agree with most that we want Miami to lose. We want to get locked into the acc championship game period and this makes us one step closer.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Dear '89 -
I like how you think... impeccable logic as a Panther fan. The Big 10 disdain, hatred of ND taking advantage of the ACC, the always-true fact that PSU is evil and needs to have bad things happen to them.

Spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT