ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Management and Fede’s Brother

rockypanther

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
The thread about Fede’s brother got me really thinking. Let’s say we take his brother then next year we have 4 legit 7 footers. But we have only really seen Fede and Gdiaz. And they will be very good and have done some good things. But from a development point for them to take the next step they each have to develop at least one offensive skill that fits with our offense. That could be a three point shot off a pick and pop from the top when they set the screen. It could be a floater AKA Steven Adam’s does very well in the nba when he picks and slips to the basket for a dump pass and he turns and floats the shot up in the lane. They could develop a 15 ft shot fro the elbow or either side. We dont use the post but having a basic drop step or mini hook would be beneficial. And of course they need to get stronger and put on a lot of weight. I am not hating on them just saying the next steps in the progression to be a real threat.

Now the questions is how long does that development take. I think it varies by player based on their coordination, experience, their muscle memory, and how much time they dedicate. A rough guess is 2-3 years to develop a new offensive skill and be able to use it consistently in ACC play. That’s probably somewhat conservative. It took Zanna 3 years plus to develop a little back to the basket game and a 15 foot jump shot.

So add in the other Diaz and younger Fede. They both need even more development just to get where Fede and Gdiaz are now. That would also make a 1/3 of our lineup all basically 5 positions who aren’t scorers. We could be really good rebounders and protect the rim. It basketball is a guard and wing game now with dribble drive and lots of threes.

It’s hard to say not to take a chance on Fede’s brother or another player like him like Bballinsider is saying they are a bunch teaching out to him.

But I don’t think with the transfer portal and the ability to get older guys who are already more developed, you really don’t want more than 2 big developmental types on your roster at any one time. So I would really hesitate against taking another developmental big on the next two classes.

Reactions: jpklein
You can never have enough 7 footers. Just like football will never turn away from available strong arm quarterbacks.

Reactions: BigZeke
You can never have enough 7 footers. Just like football will never turn away from available strong arm quarterbacks.
It’s an interesting thought experiment. For every 7 footer you add you take ship and spot on the team from a potential 3 point shooter. That’s been the success of our team this year. Now if one of the 4 could develop a pick and pop it corner 3 that would help solve that.

The thread about Fede’s brother got me really thinking. Let’s say we take his brother then next year we have 4 legit 7 footers. But we have only really seen Fede and Gdiaz. And they will be very good and have done some good things. But from a development point for them to take the next step they each have to develop at least one offensive skill that fits with our offense. That could be a three point shot off a pick and pop from the top when they set the screen. It could be a floater AKA Steven Adam’s does very well in the nba when he picks and slips to the basket for a dump pass and he turns and floats the shot up in the lane. They could develop a 15 ft shot fro the elbow or either side. We dont use the post but having a basic drop step or mini hook would be beneficial. And of course they need to get stronger and put on a lot of weight. I am not hating on them just saying the next steps in the progression to be a real threat.

Now the questions is how long does that development take. I think it varies by player based on their coordination, experience, their muscle memory, and how much time they dedicate. A rough guess is 2-3 years to develop a new offensive skill and be able to use it consistently in ACC play. That’s probably somewhat conservative. It took Zanna 3 years plus to develop a little back to the basket game and a 15 foot jump shot.

So add in the other Diaz and younger Fede. They both need even more development just to get where Fede and Gdiaz are now. That would also make a 1/3 of our lineup all basically 5 positions who aren’t scorers. We could be really good rebounders and protect the rim. It basketball is a guard and wing game now with dribble drive and lots of threes.

It’s hard to say not to take a chance on Fede’s brother or another player like him like Bballinsider is saying they are a bunch teaching out to him.

But I don’t think with the transfer portal and the ability to get older guys who are already more developed, you really don’t want more than 2 big developmental types on your roster at any one time. So I would really hesitate against taking another developmental big on the next two classes.
How far along is Fede’s brother in the developmental process?

Reactions: rockypanther

Have Duquesne sign him and let him redshirt then play in year two then go into the portal. If he,s talented transfer to Pitt .

So add in the other Diaz and younger Fede. They both need even more development just to get where Fede and Gdiaz are now. That would also make a 1/3 of our lineup all basically 5 positions who aren’t scorers.

Jorge is not a five, and will only ever be one in extreme circumstances. Like even if Federiko and Guillermo are both in foul trouble and they put Jorge into the game for them, Hinson is just as likely to guard the five as Jorge would be. Jorge is far more likely to be a three than ever play anything other than desperation minutes at the five.

And I think that the hope is that Guillermo's game improves to the point where he can be an effective four and not just a five.

Reactions: thom67 and Drew1208
Jorge is not a five, and will only ever be one in extreme circumstances. Like even if Federiko and Guillermo are both in foul trouble and they put Jorge into the game for them, Hinson is just as likely to guard the five as Jorge would be. Jorge is far more likely to be a three than ever play anything other than desperation minutes at the five.

And I think that the hope is that Guillermo's game improves to the point where he can be an effective four and not just a five.

Im going to bold this part above because I can for sure see it down the road.

But I want to talk about Guillermo for just a second here.

ORTG power rating for the whole season-104
Offensive / Defensive rebound percentage ratings- 16.7 / 18.2
EFG field goal- 54%
To rate- 25
Steal rate- 4

These numbers above are for a rail thin freshmen!!!

These advanced efficiency metrics are good, and for a freshmen big in the acc, are really quite good. Now, if I stripped out the non conference schedule and just posted his acc stats and acc advanced efficiency stats, G's numbers are actually even better across the board as he has played even better in the acc.

Now it gets even better with the metrics for him.

Our team as a whole has played pretty well with him on the floor and he has been decent on defense. His BPM numbers against Virginia, Clemson, UNC, Duke, and Miami are all over +8 a piece, which is fantastic.

In my opinion, G could easily take on a much bigger role now at the 5 and I firmly believe he as well as the team both would be fine with it. His numbers are very promising for a backup player across the entire board. And I believe if he took on a bigger role right now, his numbers would go up right along with more minutes. His efficiency would drop, but I don't think it would be a huge drop unless he was getting starter type minutes.

IMO, he is being quite underrated by some Pitt fans here. The same argument cannot be made for either Nate Santos or Jorge at this time.

Last edited:
Having 1 of the twins is OK. But both in the squad is pointless. If both left after the season the program would be better off. For Capel to move this program upward, they need to be over recruited.
I disagree because you could have two skilled bigs that can shoot and rim defend, zone bust too. There is room for guys like that on the court at the same time. If they were both old school back to the basket centers, it might be harder to justify having two at once clogging the lane.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
Im going to bold this part above because I can for sure see it down the road.

But I want to talk about Guillermo for just a second here.

ORTG power rating for the whole season-104
Offensive / Defensive rebound percentage ratings- 16.7 / 18.2
EFG field goal- 54%
To rate- 25
Steal rate- 4

These numbers above are for a rail thin freshmen!!!

These advanced efficiancy metrics are good, and for a freshmen big in the acc, are really quite good. Now, if I stripped out the non conference schedule and just posted his acc stats and acc advanced efficiency stats, G's numbers are actually even better across the board as he has played even better in the acc.

Now it gets even better with the metrics for him.

Our team as a whole has played pretty well with him on the floor and he has been decent on defense. His BPM numbers against Virginia, Clemson, UNC, Duke, and Miami are all over +8 a piece, which is fantastic.

In my opinion, G could easily take on a much bigger role now at the 5 and I firmly believe he as well as the team both would be fine with it. His numbers are very promising for a backup player across the entire board. And I believe if he took on a bigger role right now, his numbers would go up right along with more minutes. His efficiency would drop, but I don't think it would be a huge drop unless he was getting starter type minutes.

IMO, he is being quite underrated by some Pitt fans here. The same argument cannot be made for either Nate Santos or Jorge at this time.

I don't disagree with any of your post, but my point still stands that I think they ideally want to be able to play Guillermo at least sometimes as a four. Unlike Federiko, he actually can shoot the ball from the perimeter.

Reactions: Drew1208
I don't disagree with any of your post, but my point still stands that I think they ideally want to be able to play Guillermo at least sometimes as a four. Unlike Federiko, he actually can shoot the ball from the perimeter.
In this case you are both correct! I can't see how the future plan would not have Guillermo at the 4.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Couple things:
It will take at least 1-2 more years for both Diaz brothers to gain the strength they need to play big meaningful minutes in the grind of the ACC. G has a ways to go with improving his 3 point shot to play the 4. He can’t handle the ball well yet and has no post moves. No idea on Jorge.

I think we need to keep expectations in check. All these 7 footers have a good ceiling but a long way to go.

Finally a lot depends on how Capel wants to play. Our offense has been much better without Diaz and Fede on the floor. I think Capel would prefer to have more of a lineup then has now instead of a twin tower lineup. We will see.

Couple things:
It will take at least 1-2 more years for both Diaz brothers to gain the strength they need to play big meaningful minutes in the grind of the ACC. G has a ways to go with improving his 3 point shot to play the 4. He can’t handle the ball well yet and has no post moves. No idea on Jorge.

I think we need to keep expectations in check. All these 7 footers have a good ceiling but a long way to go.

Finally a lot depends on how Capel wants to play. Our offense has been much better without Diaz and Fede on the floor. I think Capel would prefer to have more of a lineup then has now instead of a twin tower lineup. We will see.
Guillermo’s definitely a 5 long-term - I don’t know why they’d move him from his natural position to play the 4. He’s been impressive over the last few weeks and has gotten better every game (along with Fede).

Reactions: rockypanther
Guillermo’s definitely a 5 long-term - I don’t know why they’d move him from his natural position to play the 4. He’s been impressive over the last few weeks and has gotten better every game (along with Fede).

He is not a natural post player. He's naturally a more perimeter based player, which is not unusual for a European. If he reaches his best potential he's probably a stretch four.

That's why another poster had me thinking how this team would be playing a 5 out style with Mo
Remember Kevin Pittsnoggole? I will take at the 4 or 5 outside the perimeter. But largely for the most part of Diaz was a decent 3 point shooter or college teams projected him as 4, he would have been much more highly recruited. That’s rare for someone that height.

Chances we ever see a starting frontline of Fede, Guillermo and Jorge?

Okku Federiko was just offered by Syracuse after being offered by South Carolina a week ago. Interesting, very interesting...

There is tape of him on youtube, a full game, where AZ compass plays Omnia Academy Finland at the flying to the hoop tournament which just took place. Omnia was blown out, but they went up against one of the best teams in high school basketball loaded with 5 star and 4 star players. I did not watch this game.

#1 player on the board regardless of class still has to be 5 star Meleek Thomas , who visited Pitt for about the 8th time in the past year at the Miami game we had just won.

Okku Federiko was just offered by Syracuse after being offered by South Carolina a week ago. Interesting, very interesting...

There is tape of him on youtube, a full game, where AZ compass plays Omnia Academy Finland at the flying to the hoop tournament which just took place. Omnia was blown out, but they went up against one of the best teams in high school basketball loaded with 5 star and 4 star players. I did not watch this game.

#1 player on the board regardless of class still has to be 5 star Meleek Thomas , who visited Pitt for about the 8th time in the past year at the Miami game we had just won.
Having your brother doing unexpectedly so well and liked certainly puts Pitt in the game if they want him .

Morris Ugusuk offered. Fede's friend from Finland, plays with Omnia.

A couple notes here:

This is a 2024 point guard. He is eligible to reclass to 2023.

6'8 wingspan. We have gone after guards with long arms time and time again at the guard position. Femi Odukale, Solo Ball who we missed on to Uconn, KJ Greene in 2024 who is a heavy target, now Ugusuk to name a few.

Has recently visited Oklahoma State. South Carolina offered and Syracuse likely offers.

Pass first point guard that causes trouble on defensive side of the ball with his long arms creating steals and deflecting passes. Needs to become a better shooter from the line and from 3. He works well in the PNR, likes to drive it and likes to kick the ball out to shooters. Floor Vision is good and gets his bigs involved.

Fede's brother Okku is also picking up interest. Illinois, Wake Forest, Oklahoma State, and others are now starting to reach out.

ADVERTISEMENT