7. Clemson
  8. Louisville
  9. NC State
  10. Notre Dame
  11. Miami
  12. Boston College
  13. Wake Forest
  14. Georgia Tech
  15. Pitt Lets see how things play out. Pitt wont be 15 at seasons end.

Uh, yea we could be. Lets be reasonable here. That was an 0-19 team with 0-19 talent which lost its 3 best players. We will be underdogs in every single ACC game this season. I think Capel finds a way to win 2. If he wins 4, they should put a statu of him sitting next to Starzl.

Capel has a huge lift in front of him. Look at the legend that is Jay Vidovich (soccer coach). He inherited a horredous team, went winless in the ACC in Year 1 and only went 2-6 last season. This year, they should go 3-5 or 4-4.

Capel is in pretty much the same situation as Vidovich, inheriting a woefully under-talented team.

I am fine with us being picked last, especially when the writer gives props to some of our recruits and transfers.

Uh, yea we could be. Lets be reasonable here. That was an 0-19 team with 0-19 talent which lost its 3 best players. We will be underdogs in every single ACC game this season. I think Capel finds a way to win 2. If he wins 4, they should put a statu of him sitting next to Starzl.

Capel has a huge lift in front of him. Look at the legend that is Jay Vidovich (soccer coach). He inherited a horredous team, went winless in the ACC in Year 1 and only went 2-6 last season. This year, they should go 3-5 or 4-4.

Capel is in pretty much the same situation as Vidovich, inheriting a woefully under-talented team.
Wow-what a surprise you think that.
Get the statue ready then bud.
3 best players ? NDir and Ellison alone are twice as good as the two that left and the other played 10 games. Add McGowens, Toney, Johnson and Capel , you wont see any recognition of last years team this season.
You do realize Sleepy's coaching style was : just jack up as many 3's as you can, I really dont care.

Last edited:

The 0-19 team didn't lose Luther. This year's team is more talented than that 0-19 ACC team.

Soccer, SOCCER .. has what to do with Pitt Basketball ?

I meant that Vidovich is arguably the best coach in America and he couldn't win an ACC game with an under-talented team. Vidovich inherited a mid-major team playing in the ACC which is what Capel inherited. I hope Capel does well this year but my expectations are 2-16. I think some of you are hoping for too much too soon. If he wins 4, that would be an enormous accomplishment. If he wins 6, he is guaranteed ACCCOY. We have to patient and realistic.

Wow-what a surprise you think that.
Get the statue ready then bud.
3 best players ? NDir and Ellison alone are twice as good as the two that left and the other played 10 games. Add McGowens, Toney, Johnson and Capel , you wont see any recognition of last years team this season.
You do realize Sleepy's coaching style was : just jack up as many 3's as you can, I really dont care.

I would be in your camp if Capel had landed an immediate rebounding help bigman. Since he did not, and apparently won't, I am forecasting 10-3 OOC and 4-14 ACC regular season for a regular season record of 14-17 -- Probably 14-18 after 0-1 ACC tourney. That sure beats 8-24 (0-19 ACC). A winning season and an NIT will likely follow in Capel's 2nd year. We are too weak inside to do that this coming season, IMHO.

I would be in your camp if Capel had landed an immediate rebounding help bigman. Since he did not, and apparently won't, I am forecasting 10-3 OOC and 4-14 ACC regular season for a regular season record of 14-17 -- Probably 14-18 after 0-1 ACC tourney. That sure beats 8-24 (0-19 ACC). A winning season and an NIT will likely follow in Capel's 2nd year. We are too weak inside to do that this coming season, IMHO.

I agree with your assessment. The lack of the big man is crucial. I'm still hoping he
pulls one out of the hat somehow. If not, we are in big trouble inside. Browne backed
up by Iggy, and Stevenson and Chuka at the power forward slot puts us at a great disadvantage. Even if we go with one big and four smaller players (which I'm sure
we will at different times) we will still be at a disadvantage.
However with all that said, I like everything I've seen from Chapel so far, and I feel
these players will play with an edge and put out for him. That alone will improve us
immensely over last year. Personally I feel the new players will easily make up for the guys we lost. IMO Ellison is far better than Stewart, and the grad transfer gives us backcourt experience which we had none of last year. Luther hardly played, so his loss is a moot point. I can see the 10-3 OOC. The 4-14 ACC is a bit of a
stretch, but I'll join you on that anyway. Anything above those numbers will be
a shock.

Last edited:
Again with the rebounding!!! They will ALL rebound everywhere on the court.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Pitt will be in rough shape, we all know this, but I genuinely don't think we'll finish last. Wake and GT are absolutely pathetic. It's not a stretch to expect us to finish above them.

Certainly they all will be taught to boxout and rebound. But, so will the players on every other team (the ACC is loaded with competent coaches) so it will come down to the quality of the PFs and Cs on respective teams as to which team will usually win the rebounding battle in each game. We are currently deficient in that regard. That being said, I will be absolutely delighted to be wrong and see this coming year's Pitt team hold its own or better on the boards and have an overall winning season. I think I am being realistic, however, vs pessimistic in believing this seasons ceiling is 10 wins OOC and 5 wins ACC with a minimum result of 9 wins OOC and 3 wins ACC with a likely result somewhere in between (12-15 wins overall). And even that is a significant improvement over last seasons 8-24 (0-19).

We shall see.

The post you're criticizing mentions a lack of an "inside" game...not just "rebounding."
We're gonna struggle guarding ACC Bigs. Those same Bigs are not going to struggle
guarding our Bigs. They're also going to score on us inside. They will probably easily
get us in foul trouble, and our backups Chuka, Iggy, and George aren't going to help.
ACC coaches will gameplan against these weaknesses.
If it were only "rebounding" I'd go along with your opinion. A lot more happens on the inside than "rebounding."

How can any OOC records be guessed at when we only know a handful of our opponents? What do we know, 4 of the 13 OOC games??? Who knows what Capel's scheduling strategy will be? Obviously he needs to schedule a bakery shop full of cupcakes this year but...........

I am much more likely to be patient if we stink this year with Capel as coach than I would have been with sleepy as coach. At least I see some positive in the future, it may just take a little bit to get there.

Certainly they all will be taught to boxout and rebound. But, so will the players on every other team (the ACC is loaded with competent coaches) so it will come down to the quality of the PFs and Cs on respective teams as to which team will usually win the rebounding battle in each game. We are currently deficient in that regard. That being said, I will be absolutely delighted to be wrong and see this coming year's Pitt team hold its own or better on the boards and have an overall winning season. I think I am being realistic, however, vs pessimistic in believing this seasons ceiling is 10 wins OOC and 5 wins ACC with a minimum result of 9 wins OOC and 3 wins ACC with a likely result somewhere in between (12-15 wins overall). And even that is a significant improvement over last seasons 8-24 (0-19).

We shall see.

You're focused too much on wins/losses this early in the process. Tell you what, significant improvement for me is the team betters 11th place; anything less than that is meh.

The post you're criticizing mentions a lack of an "inside" game...not just "rebounding."
We're gonna struggle guarding ACC Bigs. Those same Bigs are not going to struggle
guarding our Bigs. They're also going to score on us inside. They will probably easily
get us in foul trouble, and our backups Chuka, Iggy, and George aren't going to help.
ACC coaches will gameplan against these weaknesses.
If it were only "rebounding" I'd go along with your opinion. A lot more happens on the inside than "rebounding."
Inside rebounding help was his exact quote.

Inside rebounding help was his exact quote.

Go back and read his last line....."we are too weak inside"... Seems like it's more than just "rebounding".
You're cherry picking. While I'm at it, his whole post makes sense.

How can any OOC records be guessed at when we only know a handful of our opponents? What do we know, 4 of the 13 OOC games??? Who knows what Capel's scheduling strategy will be? Obviously he needs to schedule a bakery shop full of cupcakes this year but...........

Anyone can guess. That's exactly what it is...a guess. It's not a statement of fact, it's
what happens on a board like this....guessing.

Go back and read his last line....."we are too weak inside"... Seems like it's more than just "rebounding".
You're cherry picking. While I'm at it, his whole post makes sense.
I’m just tired of people pining for Jamie ball. Defense, rebounding, defense, rebounding, defense, rebounding. Interior defense and presence are not tied to size only. Maybe me being a superior defender and rebounnder at guard in my day has me biased.

I’m just tired of people pining for Jamie ball. Defense, rebounding, defense, rebounding, defense, rebounding. Interior defense and presence are not tied to size only. Maybe me being a superior defender and rebounnder at guard in my day has me biased.

Ok, I can agree with you on the "pining for Jamie ball." You're also right about "interior
defense and presence are not tied to size only." However when you have what Pitt has on the inside, it's not just "size" It's also talent, experience, and numbers. We are clearly at a disadvantage in all those areas.
I respect your guard play in your day, but good as you may have been, you'd be at
an extreme disadvantage guarding ACC level Bigs in today's game. By the same token
on the offensive end, if you somehow got by ACC level guards (no small task) you'd
then be up against those same ACC Bigs as you went inside.
Let's just end it on this...you made good points on Jamie Ball (I agree), and it takes more than just size on the inside (I agree with you on that too).

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

Efficient offense and efficient defense aren’t bad things.

I’ll bet our defense isn’t nearly as passive as Dixon’s was.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Ok, I can agree with you on the "pining for Jamie ball." You're also right about "interior
defense and presence are not tied to size only." However when you have what Pitt has on the inside, it's not just "size" It's also talent, experience, and numbers. We are clearly at a disadvantage in all those areas.
I respect your guard play in your day, but good as you may have been, you'd be at
an extreme disadvantage guarding ACC level Bigs in today's game. By the same token
on the offensive end, if you somehow got by ACC level guards (no small task) you'd
then be up against those same ACC Bigs as you went inside.
Let's just end it on this...you made good points on Jamie Ball (I agree), and it takes more than just size on the inside (I agree with you on that too).
Every coach at every level says "defense and rebounding". Everyone has a commitment to scoring, but defense and rebounding take more commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT