Round 1 Game 3: Sean Miller Fan vs. Joe the Panther Fan

SMF vs. Joe the Panther Fan

• Sean Miller Fan

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Joe the Panther Fan

Votes: 43 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Based on what. Show us you know basketball by presenting an actual argument.

We all know you won’t. Because you can’t. You just make declarative statements with no support and then tout your basketball knowledge.

Here's a text convo I just sent to the biggest diehard Pitt bball fan I know. I challenge any of you to do this anonymously. Anonymously, this is no contest.

Based only on their careers at Pitt, who would win this game: (Sean Miller, K. Benjamin, Sam Young, Blount, Adams) vs James Robinson, Garrick Thomas, Clyde Vaughn, Chris Gant, Jaime Peterson

Sean miller team would kill them

Break it down

Best point guard miller would control game over 10 points and 10 assists. Sam young would score 25. Blount and Adams would kill them on glass. Benjamin would lock down garrick Thomas who is their only shooter how would the other team score

Hey I’ve made that argument through the years and I’ve had plenty of lair members tell me I was wrong. So at the end of the day, all we can go on was the raw Steven adams that we saw here. And that Steven Adams would not outperform plenty of other frontcourt players in this league, including the ones in this match up.

There's still no evidence from anything Steve is currently doing in the NBA that there are more things Dixon should have been letting him do in his one year here.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I like Clyde a great deal. But I don't think he's at all as superlative to Sam Young as you are suggesting.
I think Sam is undervalued for some reason by Pitt fans but I certainly think Clyde was. But clyde’s numbers while playing in the BE are historical and I have a hard time believing anyone else at Pitt would have done the same thing. I’m no authority of course, especially because I was - kid and too young to appreciate Vaughn.

That's a change in your tune. Late in his freshman year, you proclaimed he was nowhere near ready for the NBA. Now you are proclaiming something different just for your fantasy team?

I said that and after seeing his performance in the NBA a year later, I said I was wrong. Ski will tell you that.

Reactions: Ski11585
Here's a text convo I just sent to the biggest diehard Pitt bball fan I know. I challenge any of you to do this anonymously. Anonymously, this is no contest.

Based only on their careers at Pitt, who would win this game: (Sean Miller, K. Benjamin, Sam Young, Blount, Adams) vs James Robinson, Garrick Thomas, Clyde Vaughn, Chris Gant, Jaime Peterson

Break it down

Best point guard miller would control game over 10 points and 10 assists. Sam young would score 25. Blount and Adams would kill them on glass. Benjamin would lock down garrick Thomas who is their only shooter how would the other team score

1: This has absolutely nothing to do with my question. Just admit you know you're wrong and you lack the basketball knowledge to defend your position. Which, as DT pointed out, is quite the contrast from your repeated statements that Adams wouldn't be a one-and-done.

2: Is this the same diehard who told you the Celtics would win the east last year? Because if so, he's a moron who missed obviously flaws with the team.

I said that and after seeing his performance in the NBA a year later, I said I was wrong. Ski will tell you that.

What specifically did you see in his NBA performance (what skills, etc) in Steve's first year that said he was held back at Pitt?

This is turning into a blowout.

At what point does SMF start to create false alias to stack the ballot box?

How many years will SMF be whining about his crushing defeat in the FIRST round?

What specifically did you see in his NBA performance (what skills, etc) in Steve's first year that said he was held back at Pitt?

That's the thing. Steve is a pretty good starting C. But he's not Embiid. Or Jokic. Despite his autobiography talking about him wanting to take jump shots, he gets most of his points rolling to the hoop and getting garbage buckets. He's a good rebounder and defender. Like he was at Pitt.

I think people forget he had that thumb problem for half the season too.

Reactions: vaughn miller fan

How many years will SMF be whining about his crushing defeat in the FIRST round?

Oh come on. SMF will graciously accept defeat and congratulate his opponent on a fine game.

;)

I saw Peterson play. He had a really good senior year.

Let me ask you this. If you asked Calipari, Coach K, Capel, etc. who they would rather have for 1 season or 1 tournament? Do they take Senior Peterson or Freshman Adams? There's your answer. SMF knows basketball.

Every basketball coach, and I mean literally every one, takes the player that Peterson was as a senior over the player that Adams was as a freshman. Not only do you not know basketball, you simply cannot separate what Adams had the potential to be and what Adams actually became with what he actually was that season he was here.

It really isn't that difficult a thing to do, and yet somehow you are completely incapable.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
he hit a half court shot once...and now looks like Khal Drogo...

Break it down

It's probably not worth it at this point, but your team doesn't actually fit together as a team at all. Your point is the same as mine, a pass first guy who didn't create for himself. Your two can't shoot from the outside, your three is at his best in transition with teammates who aren't, and you have two bigs who give you absolutely no offense at all outside of five feet from the basket.

My team is certainly not great defensively, but your team is easy to guard. Don't let Miller wide open for jumpers. Lay off Benjamin and make him shoot jumpers. Crowd your two bigs in the paint and let them shoot all night long from the mid-range if they are dumb enough to do it.

Your team needs Sam Young to score 40 just to be in the game the way your team is constructed, because who else is going to score?

But not even first team All-Big East.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Clyde. I was a huge Pitt Hoops fan in high school (no less than I am now) and I Clyde was my favorite. But I just think Sam was a little bit better -- his highest level was higher than Clyde's. Love's them both of course.
Sam was a more athletic high flyer. Lower body and core strength. Clyde was all upper body, mostly below the rim and his corner jumper was deadly.

I consider this a win. It was 35-31 until about an hour left then 3 people mysteriously changed their vote to Joe and 9 more people mysteriously voted for Joe, all in the last hour. I fully expected to lose in the 1st Round since I am the heel. I was really surprised that I lead for long stretches and it was close until the last mysterious hour.

In my honest opinion, nobody would beat my team in a real game. There's some teams that would come close. I dont think Joe's would.

I'd put Benjamin on Vaughn and at least hold him to 18-20. Peterson and Gant would barely score on my bigs. Robinson cant score. And Thomas needs someone to get him looks which Robinson cant.

His team had nobody to check Young. Robinson could probably hold Benjamin. But Miller's shooting and craftiness makes a difference. And my size is just too much.

If anyone else fields my team, they win the whole thing going away, no doubt.

SMF Knows Basketball

I consider this a win. It was 35-31 until about an hour left then 3 people mysteriously changed their vote to Joe and 9 more people mysteriously voted for Joe, all in the last hour. I fully expected to lose in the 1st Round since I am the heel. I was really surprised that I lead for long stretches and it was close until the last mysterious hour.

In my honest opinion, nobody would beat my team in a real game. There's some teams that would come close. I dont think Joe's would.

I'd put Benjamin on Vaughn and at least hold him to 18-20. Peterson and Gant would barely score on my bigs. Robinson cant score. And Thomas needs someone to get him looks which Robinson cant.

His team had nobody to check Young. Robinson could probably hold Benjamin. But Miller's shooting and craftiness makes a difference. And my size is just too much.

SMF Knows Basketball

SMF Knows Basketball
0708719d6fe2fb9063e66f3b24f5087c.jpg

SMF Knows Basketball

Still waiting for that basketball knowledge to tell us how Dixon misused Adams.

And he was so far ahead, just last night. Come from ahead defeats are always the toughest.

It's probably not worth it at this point, but your team doesn't actually fit together as a team at all. Your point is the same as mine, a pass first guy who didn't create for himself. Your two can't shoot from the outside, your three is at his best in transition with teammates who aren't, and you have two bigs who give you absolutely no offense at all outside of five feet from the basket.

My team is certainly not great defensively, but your team is easy to guard. Don't let Miller wide open for jumpers. Lay off Benjamin and make him shoot jumpers. Crowd your two bigs in the paint and let them shoot all night long from the mid-range if they are dumb enough to do it.

Your team needs Sam Young to score 40 just to be in the game the way your team is constructed, because who else is going to score?

You really earned this one with your precise, cutting analysis IMO. Looking forward to your next match.

He wasn't part of the offense at all. He set the high ball screen and that was it. He used him like Gary McGhee.

That doesn't answer the question. After watching Steven Adams in the pros for 7 years, please explain the skill or offensive use that Dixon should have employed with Steve in his one year at Pitt.

Please use specific examples. Thank you.

He wasn't part of the offense at all. He set the high ball screen and that was it. He used him like Gary McGhee.

That's not an answer. And as @DT_PITT said, he's used exactly the same by two different coaches in the NBA. So have Dixon, Brooks, and Donovan all misused Adams? Or is he being used in the way that best utilizes his skillset?

That's not an answer. And as @DT_PITT said, he's used exactly the same by two different coaches in the NBA. So have Dixon, Brooks, and Donovan all misused Adams? Or is he being used in the way that best utilizes his skillset?

I would have used him more like Kosta Koufos at OSU who averaged 14. Meaning I would have passed him the ball. Run some clear outs with him in the block. Played some inside-out. We didn't see anything from him because he wasn't developed at all. He was a lottery pick screener.

That doesn't answer the question. After watching Steven Adams in the pros for 7 years, please explain the skill or offensive use that Dixon should have employed with Steve in his one year at Pitt.

Please use specific examples. Thank you.

Don’t let him troll you. He isn’t a troll per se, but behaves like one frequently. Took me too long to realize it. Isn’t worth the time.

Don’t let him troll you. He isn’t a troll per se, but behaves like one frequently. Took me too long to realize it. Isn’t worth the time.

I put him on the list ages ago. But seeing him in all his glory again, I must say - there is a slight entertainment factor for many folks I would wager.

Break it down

I just had a text convo with Sean Miller himself and he said that Joe's team is better. He declined to go into detail, however, claiming it was hard to text while holding a bag.

Break it down

Here’s a conversation I had with 71 really knowledgeable Pitt fans

70% thought your team would lose since you can’t play two centers in this tournament
Ya should have drafted zavackas or Biggs instead of Adams

Here’s a conversation I had with 71 really knowledgeable Pitt fans

70% thought your team would lose since you can’t play two centers in this tournament
Ya should have drafted zavackas or Biggs instead of Adams

Where does it say you must play your 6th man ONLY at the position listed?

So you play 4 guys 40 minutes and then your 6th man splits 20 minutes at only 1 position?

ADVERTISEMENT