Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ski11585

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2008
Reminder:

Please evaluate the teams based on each players best single season AT PITT ONLY. Professional basketball or transfer seasons elsewhere do not count towards evaluating the teams.

No more pinned threads since people complained!

@Ajntrw
PG Brandin Knight 6' 180 (01-02 Season) 15.6 PPG 7.2 APG 4.8 RPG 2.3 SPG 52.3% FG 35.6% 3PFG 6.0 Win Share

SG - Cam Wright 6'5 205 (13-14 Season) 10.5 PPG 2.6 APG 3.3 RPG 1.8 SPG 3.6 Win Share

SF Audiese Toney 6'6 210 (19-20 Season) 9.5 PPG 4.8 RPG 1.2 SPG 1.2 APG 51.5% FG 32.8% 3PFG 2.9 Win Share

PF Isaac Hawkins 6'8 210 (97-98 Season) 14.2 PPG 9.2 RPG 1.7 BPG 54.1 FG% 3.0 Win Share

C – Attila Cosby 6’9 (97-98 Season) 9.3 PPG 4.8 RPG 2.0 BPG 0.9 SPG 50.9% FG 1.8 Win Share

6th – Yuri Demetris (04-05 Season) 3.8 PPG 3.4 RPG 1.3 SPG 45.2% 3PGFG 57.1 FG%1.2 Win Share

VS

@Ski11585
PG - Trey McGowens - 11.5 ppg/3.6 apg/3.3 rpg
SG - Jason Maile - 12.4 ppg/1.8 apg/2.0 rpg
SF - Lamar Patterson - 17.1 ppg/4.3 apg/4.9 rpg
PF - Levon Kendall - 7 ppg/1.6 apg/5.4 rpg
C - Aaron Gray - 13.9 ppg/1.8 apg/10.5 rpg
6th - Darryl Shepard - 8.5 ppg/.7 apg/3 rpg

Here is my take on this matchup.
  1. PG - BK gets in Trey's head early and forces him into long threes that he continually misses and starts kicking his legs out at BK and starts getting called for early fouls, BK dominates him on the glass and defensively while still putting up 16 pts and 7 boards and Trey ends up with a 2-10 shooting line (8Pts) and 4 TO's
  2. SG- This one plays out to a wash Cam's superior man D brings Maile down to his level on offense they both have 10 Pts
  3. SF -- Audiese shuts down Lamar much like he did N'Wora/Stanley/Boeheim/Hughes and others all season -- Lamar is too good to stop all together and he still gets 17 albeit on 6-17 shooting and they can't run their offense through him which slows everyone else down while Audiese throws up a workmanlike 9 Pts / 7 Reb
  4. PF - Issac has his way all night with Levon putting up 22 and 12 while Levon gets his average @ 7 PPG
  5. C - Aaron holds Atilla under his average with 8 PPG while putting up and efficicient 15 and 9
  6. 6th man - Sheppard provides a spark with 9 while Yuri comes off bench and hits 2 3's for 6 ppg
Final Score -- Junkyard Dogs (AJNTRW) 71 to Ski's crew - 66 --- Junkyard Dog's superior D and matchup with Toney on Lamar and Isaac vs Levon make the difference in this one.

1. PG - BK gets in Trey's head early and forces him into long threes that he continually misses and starts kicking his legs out at BK and starts getting called for early fouls, BK dominates him on the glass and defensively while still putting up 16 pts and 7 boards and Trey ends up with a 2-10 shooting line (8Pts) and 4 TO's
  2. SG- This one plays out to a wash Cam's superior man D brings Maile down to his level on offense they both have 10 Pts
  3. SF -- Audiese shuts down Lamar much like he did N'Wora/Stanley/Boeheim/Hughes and others all season -- Lamar is too good to stop all together and he still gets 17 albeit on 6-17 shooting and they can't run their offense through him which slows everyone else down while Audiese throws up a workmanlike 9 Pts / 7 Reb
  4. PF - Issac has his way all night with Levon putting up 22 and 12 while Levon gets his average @ 7 PPG
  5. C - Aaron holds Atilla under his average with 8 PPG while putting up and efficicient 15 and 9
  6. 6th man - Sheppard provides a spark with 9 while Yuri comes off bench and hits 2 3's for 6 ppg
Final Score -- Junkyard Dogs (AJNTRW) 71 to Ski's crew - 66 --- Junkyard Dog's superior D and matchup with Toney on Lamar and Isaac vs Levon make the difference in this one.

Wow. Now that is how one makes his case!

Reactions: TWPitt

It's a good argument, if not a wholly inaccurate one.

Not only does my team wipe the floor with yours in terms of counting stats, it's also got better composition.

PG: I'll concede that you have the edge here, particularly in terms of experience. But Trey's natural athleticism will allow him to hold his own against BK and frustrate BK into a poor shooting day.
SG: Cam may hope to use his defensive skills to hold Maille to only 10, but he won't have anything left in the tank to score a bucket.
SF: This is such a huge mismatch. Toney has no chance of containing Patterson. And Lamar is way too smart a player to let a young pup like Toney stop him from running the offense. The inside out game with Gray is too much for your team to overcome.
PF: You're underselling Kendall's defense.
C: Gray will dominate this game for Team Ski. I'm looking for a career high in points. Smart passing from Patterson sets him up to dominate all night long.
6th Man: Another role where team Ski has the clear advantage.

To paraphrase Sean Connery in Celebrity Jeopardy, you can gussy it up all you like, but does it work? You have the edge at PG and PF, but across the board my team is superior in raw stats and fit. And your edge at those two positions isn't enough to overcome my dominance at G, SF, and C along with my superior depth.

It's a good argument, if not a wholly inaccurate one.

Not only does my team wipe the floor with yours in terms of counting stats, it's also got better composition.

PG: I'll concede that you have the edge here, particularly in terms of experience. But Trey's natural athleticism will allow him to hold his own against BK and frustrate BK into a poor shooting day.
SG: Cam may hope to use his defensive skills to hold Maille to only 10, but he won't have anything left in the tank to score a bucket.
SF: This is such a huge mismatch. Toney has no chance of containing Patterson. And Lamar is way too smart a player to let a young pup like Toney stop him from running the offense. The inside out game with Gray is too much for your team to overcome.
PF: You're underselling Kendall's defense.
C: Gray will dominate this game for Team Ski. I'm looking for a career high in points. Smart passing from Patterson sets him up to dominate all night long.
6th Man: Another role where team Ski has the clear advantage.

To paraphrase Sean Connery in Celebrity Jeopardy, you can gussy it up all you like, but does it work? You have the edge at PG and PF, but across the board my team is superior in raw stats and fit. And your edge at those two positions isn't enough to overcome my dominance at G, SF, and C along with my superior depth.

So now you think, Trey is all world and could overwhelm BK with atheleticism....Guess BK wasn't an athlete too and never defended players as good or better than Trey, HA.

and now Lamar is better than a first round picks in Stanley and Nwora who Toney completely shutdown in one on one matchups with little help defense which we would have tons of on my team....

you have a nice team but are WAY underselling BK and Toney.

So now you think, Trey is all world and could overwhelm BK with atheleticism....Guess BK wasn't an athlete too and never defended players as good or better than Trey, HA.

and now Lamar is better than a first round picks in Stanley and Nwora who Toney completely shutdown in one on one matchups with little help defense which we would have tons of on my team....

you have a nice team but are WAY underselling BK and Toney.

I've conceded that BK is a win for your team. But I disagree that I'm downplaying Toney. You keep mentioning how he shut down Nwora. I happened to glance at the box score from the 64-46 beatdown L-Ville put on Pitt this year. Nwora put up 19 on 7-12 shooting. I would hardly call that shutting him down.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Two games against Pitt this year Nwora went 5-13 (38.5% FG) and scored 14 and 7-12 at home for 19 that was the game that Louisville couldn't miss 3's in the first half and Toney fouled out.

To say Toney is not an Elite man defender....

Two games against Pitt this year Nwora went 5-13 (38.5% FG) and scored 14 and 7-12 at home for 19 that was the game that Louisville couldn't miss 3's in the first half and Toney fouled out.

To say Toney is not an Elite man defender....
And got a bum deal fouling out.

And got a bum deal fouling out.

He played 32 minutes.

And Ajntrw is really shortselling Patterson. He averaged 17 points in a better ACC than the one Toney faced this year. Across the board his competition was a higher level and he produced game after game.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
He played 32 minutes.

And Ajntrw is really shortselling Patterson. He averaged 17 points in a better ACC than the one Toney faced this year. Across the board his competition was a higher level and he produced game after game.

Patterson is one of my favorite Panthers, but he wasn't a better offensive player than Hughes/Nwora/Stanley.

It would be a great matchup to see Toney/Patterson go at it, I conceded Lamar gets his points still just said he has a tough time doing and can't run the offense with Toney in his face.

Reactions: Ski11585
Another tough match-up. But I think it comes down to having an inexperienced PG whose "me ball" leads to Ski's downfall late.

Another tough match-up. But I think it comes down to having an inexperienced PG whose "me ball" leads to Ski's downfall late.

I have Lamar dribble up the floor for half court sets. PnR, Maile and Trey as wings, also some high low stuff with the post guys.

It's easy to handle that when my SF handles the ball and that PG has a real center he can dish to when he drives.

I'm not seeing where Ajntrw's offense is going to come from. We all know BK is great but I think that team can be game planned against easier. Cam Wright certainly has a legit claim to make any all-time Pitt defensive team & Toney may be on his way to that as well, but I'm sagging off them and daring them to shoot. And McGowens has enough athleticism to make BK earn everything. But with two legit big men hanging out in the post, scoring inside won't be so easy for him.

On the flip-side I could see Wright guarding Lamar some as well since he's familiar with his game. That offense is going to run through Gray, I like the thought of feeding him in the post, or running screens for Trey to drive.

I'd be taking Ski's team in a low scoring affair, something like 62-54.

I'm not seeing where Ajntrw's offense is going to come from.

That's my worry for Ajntrw's team. We saw when the real Cam Wright was here playing the two that his complete inability to shoot the ball from the outside so easily screws up his team's spacing on offense. And if you had good deep shooters at the one and the three to make up for that you could overcome it, but for as good as BK was he was no three point shooter and while I think that with some work Toney can become a good long range shooter he isn't one yet.

This game is the opposite of the game between my team and thirteennine's team. That game is going to be a shootout. This game is going to be a rock fight.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
I really feel like people are getting caught up seeing Knight and Toney and not looking at the actual teams. Across the board my squad is stronger.

I admit I am shocked this is so lopsided. I can only attribute it to people overvaluing BK to the extent that they're overlooking the rest of the squads.

I admit I am shocked this is so lopsided. I can only attribute it to people overvaluing BK to the extent that they're overlooking the rest of the squads.
In a way I’m disappointed at this vote. If I’m fortunate enough to advance to the next round (big if of course), my match up vs you would be really intriguing...
PG- Trey McGowens Vs Xavier Johnson
SG - Jason Maile Vs Parker Stewart
SF - Lamar Patterson Vs Demetrius Gore
PF - Levon Kendall vs Ryan Luther
C - Aaron Gray Vs Charles Smith
6th - Darryl Shepard vs Malik Ellison

One thing that I've learned in these two drafts is that Panther fans really don't value Aaron Gray all that highly. He dropped too far in both drafts and both Gray teams lost in what I would consider upsets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT