ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Game & Other Dribbles ...

This season and the next few. Who wants that?
I don’t think I am making myself clear. If Capel has another losing season, I think he should be shown the door. But I don’t want to root for another losing season just to get Capel fired. I’d rather root for him succeed and stay.

The only scenario which I wouldn’t want is another losing season and him being here for year six. And that is certainly a possibility as well.

Players win or lose, not coaches. The players made too many mistakes in their losses, and that was what happened. We know it, they know it, the coaches know it. The OOC used to be a time when we would watch players develop and watch a team come together and improve. Now for the Board, it is a time to write people off.

Now the Pitt homers are forecasting their standards. They think Pitt should be seen as a winning program, but in fact, it is a program that is crawling out of a grave. The problem is Pitt, and not anything else. Pitt is lucky anyone comes to play here. What the players say is that they do so because it is an opportunity to play against better competition and have access to coaches who will help them improve their game. They love the game and they are serious about it, and they are playing for Pitt. I appreciate that. I find it difficult to read the despicable threads where people spew vitriol on players like Dior Johnson or John Hugley. By what right?

What's funny is that now the Pitt fans are no longer complaining about not making the Final Four as when they criticized and helped run Dixon out of town and killed Pitt. They are setting a new standard for the NIT, a standard that once would have been considered a disaster. Pitt fans are complaining about low attendance, as if it is the coaches' fault for lack of community outreach. They even say 0-18 Stallings was a better coach.

The team is improving. But you have to believe in order to enjoy the ride. In the OOC, they always run into aggressive teams of quick little guys who knock them off their heels until they end up beating them by 20. But the Board is complaining, even those who should know better. It's basketball. Opponents make shots. Many of the coaches and former players on the Board act as if they never missed a shot themselves or turned a ball over. Is that what they did when they had a teammate who was struggling or blew a play?

What is arrogant about this Board is the assumption that Pitt can fix this by changing coaches, and they discuss the attributes of the staff's replacement. Young but experienced at a lower level, hungry to prove himself but not fundamentally motivated by money, ready to come in here and set the world on fire, etc. The Board pulls names from a hat: Keatts, Oats, Odom, Hurley. Really? Anyone comparing Pitt to UConn is dreaming. Pitt won conference championships, but UConn won national championships, and UConn dominates northeast basketball.

It's similar to the idea that it is the coaches' failure if a recruit does not commit to Pitt, as if the players don't have varying and multiple reasons for their decisions, which rarely involve going to a program that has been killed and needs to be revived. That's a load to ask anyone to carry.

Since Stallings, it has been a long and frustrating road, but if Pitt fires Capel, we will probably lose most of our current players and all of a nationally ranked recruiting class. It will be a second death blow to the program. But hey, go for it.

Players win or lose, not coaches. The players made too many mistakes in their losses, and that was what happened. We know it, they know it, the coaches know it. The OOC used to be a time when we would watch players develop and watch a team come together and improve. Now for the Board, it is a time to write people off.

Now the Pitt homers are forecasting their standards. They think Pitt should be seen as a winning program, but in fact, it is a program that is crawling out of a grave. The problem is Pitt, and not anything else. Pitt is lucky anyone comes to play here. What the players say is that they do so because it is an opportunity to play against better competition and have access to coaches who will help them improve their game. They love the game and they are serious about it, and they are playing for Pitt. I appreciate that. I find it difficult to read the despicable threads where people spew vitriol on players like Dior Johnson or John Hugley. By what right?

What's funny is that now the Pitt fans are no longer complaining about not making the Final Four as when they criticized and helped run Dixon out of town and killed Pitt. They are setting a new standard for the NIT, a standard that once would have been considered a disaster. Pitt fans are complaining about low attendance, as if it is the coaches' fault for lack of community outreach. They even say 0-18 Stallings was a better coach.

The team is improving. But you have to believe in order to enjoy the ride. In the OOC, they always run into aggressive teams of quick little guys who knock them off their heels until they end up beating them by 20. But the Board is complaining, even those who should know better. It's basketball. Opponents make shots. Many of the coaches and former players on the Board act as if they never missed a shot themselves or turned a ball over. Is that what they did when they had a teammate who was struggling or blew a play?

What is arrogant about this Board is the assumption that Pitt can fix this by changing coaches, and they discuss the attributes of the staff's replacement. Young but experienced at a lower level, hungry to prove himself but not fundamentally motivated by money, ready to come in here and set the world on fire, etc. The Board pulls names from a hat: Keatts, Oats, Odom, Hurley. Really? Anyone comparing Pitt to UConn is dreaming. Pitt won conference championships, but UConn won national championships, and UConn dominates northeast basketball.

It's similar to the idea that it is the coaches' failure if a recruit does not commit to Pitt, as if the players don't have varying and multiple reasons for their decisions, which rarely involve going to a program that has been killed and needs to be revived. That's a load to ask anyone to carry.

Since Stallings, it has been a long and frustrating road, but if Pitt fires Capel, we will probably lose most of our current players and all of a nationally ranked recruiting class. It will be a second death blow to the program. But hey, go for it.
You had me until you said Pitt fans ran Dixon out of town. Gee, why doesn’t the same omnipotent power work now?

Reactions: FireballZ
I don’t think I am making myself clear. If Capel has another losing season, I think he should be shown the door. But I don’t want to root for another losing season just to get Capel fired. I’d rather root for him succeed long and staying.

The only scenario which I wouldn’t want is another losing season and him being here for year six. And that is certainly a possibility as well.
It is very difficult. I want success for the University of Pittsburgh Panthers basketball squad for now AND into the future. It is just that the question becomes will the future success be something that Jeff can ever consistently deliver? If it isn’t then I do not mind that the team is having limited success this season that could result in a losing season. Not what I wish to have happen but can reluctantly tolerate it if it brings longer term gains.

It is very difficult. I want success for the University of Pittsburgh Panthers basketball squad for now AND into the future. It is just that the question becomes will the future success be something that Jeff can ever consistently deliver? If it isn’t then I do not mind that the team is having limited success this season that could result in a losing season. Not what I wish to have happen but can reluctantly tolerate it if it brings longer term gains.
Right, there’s been no proof he can build anything in the future so going say 16-15 and going to the NIT isn’t some great win when we lose all guards

I don’t think I am making myself clear. If Capel has another losing season, I think he should be shown the door. But I don’t want to root for another losing season just to get Capel fired. I’d rather root for him succeed long and staying.

You were clear .
Folks are just so jaundiced they can’t seem to even enjoy this team who is actually fun to watch

Players win or lose, not coaches.

Players win or lose not coaches? Do you honestly believe that? How did Jamie Dixon win so many games at Pitt then? He certainly didn't have the most talented players on the floor in alot of matchups.

Calipari has had how many 1st rd draft picks. How many titles does he have. Coaching can definitely decide who wins a game.

So if Capel has a fifth straight losing season. We should stay the course. How about if he has 8? Just stay the course..... That's the definition of insanity.

I didn’t think Pitt would pony up the money to fire KS is different than supporting the guy . I understand that’s far too complicated for you to comprehend.

And I understand that you think that if you keep repeating that that eventually someone who wasn't here and didn't see what you posted might actually believe it.

Then never change coaches in any sport. Move down to D3

I can't understand why someone who thinks that what Stallings and Capel have given Pitt is the best we can expect is still a Pitt fan. If the day ever comes that I don't think that Pitt can do better than these last six years that will be the day that I am out.

I can't understand why someone who thinks that what Stallings and Capel have given Pitt is the best we can expect is still a Pitt fan. If the day ever comes that I don't think that Pitt can do better than these last six years that will be the day that I am out.

We can do better and we have in the past. I'm with you and I expect Pitt to do better with their coaching hires and results than we have done recently.

Brazil-Croatia, Sam. As is often said: That's why they play the game.

And changing coaches now will get definitely get you 8 losing seasons.

But I'm not arguing with anyone honoring Sam Young. They are all responsible and they all take responsibility. It was in a player interview that one of our guys -- I think Elliot or Hinson -- said they are the ones who have to make the plays. When they win, the coaches give them credit. When they lose, the coaches say they didn't prepare the team well. But for the past few years, our players have just not been good enough. They try and try, but they make mistakes and they miss shots. But this team is improving, and it's better than Capel's previous teams. And it's better than Stallings 4-14 team with all its really good players.

I will disagree about Dixon's teams being less talented. They were ballers, 24/7. We don't have that talent yet. We have to keep improving. The players are starting to come, and we even have a bit of depth. In every field of endeavor, most serious people want to be around better guys who will help cover weaknesses and mistakes and help elevate their play. And it's tough to carry weaker players, and it's harder to show your best stuff. That situation is not for everybody. Woodall said it, too: Pitt basketball has never been for everybody.

You have to fully accept the legacy of the Barnes-Stallings scam, and exercise patience with the resurrection. It's a process. This year, we are going to be in competitive games. As with the VCU and Vanderbilt games, we will lose several more that we should have won. After such losses, I am sure that the coaches and players will be trying to create and maintain a positive environment among themselves. That is how they will win the next one, not by blaming one another for the loss.

Last edited:
Right, there’s been no proof he can build anything in the future so going say 16-15 and going to the NIT isn’t some great win when we lose all guards
So Pitt will lose guards that were kinda not here last year. I’m not following. Elliott, Cummings and Nike won’t be here along with Burton. Somebody brought them together to play here. Can’t we allow for that to happen next year? Just saying. It’s nice to have the oldest backcourt anywhere but a nice mix next year would be welcome with the frosh and a transfer or two.

So Pitt will lose guards that were kinda not here last year. I’m not following. Elliott, Cummings and Nike won’t be here along with Burton. Somebody brought them together to play here. Can’t we allow for that to happen next year? Just saying. It’s nice to have the oldest backcourt anywhere but a nice mix next year would be welcome with the frosh and a transfer or two.
If you can’t make the tournament with 4 24 year old guards what makes you think they’ll be better off with 19 year old guards?

We have a real opportunity here with Cuse nearing Beoheim end, Louisville in hell and the rest of the league mired in mediocrity minus the top few. You can’t waste these opportunities.

If you can’t make the tournament with 4 24 year old guards what makes you think they’ll be better off with 19 year old guards?

We have a real opportunity here with Cuse nearing Beoheim end, Louisville in hell and the rest of the league mired in mediocrity minus the top few. You can’t waste these opportunities.
Not to bicker but…Pitt has how many ships for next year? You don’t think another Elliott or Cummings or Burton may get lost and end up in Oakland? I understand the zero faith in this staff - me included - but the staff did get their backcourt fortified since spring. Agree? I’m just asking why can’t this happen every year? A steady influence thru the portal for the 19 year olds. You were speaking to next year after a 16-15 run AND losing the guards. I like the front court going forward if all stay. Cue Fireball laughter. I don’t get it. Some are saying this team is somewhat fun to watch. Why can’t next year’s be fun with or without the current staff.

It will work itself out , Pete and Repeat

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT