ADVERTISEMENT

Samson George commits

Where I was most disappointed in Stallings' recruiting in right when he got here.

I believe to some extent, kids DO want to play for a winning program, and last summer, we were coming off on NCAA tournament with a well seasoned recruiter in Kevin Stallings.

But kids also want to go where they can play a lot early and get ready for a future making money to play basketball. Stallings had TONS of playing time to sell in the ACC and didn't take advantage of any that when he first got here. At this point, I believe its a cop out to say that Dixon's previous recruiting classes had any bearing whatsoever on the choices recruits made last summer.

I'm glad that what you are seeing gives you some hope, but I'm not there yet.

(On a related, when Dixon got to TCU, he didn't have trouble getting top level guys to play for a program that was a perennial Big 12 bottom feeder.)
Not adding a quality point guard was the key mistake KS made last yr , relying on an unproven freshman and a sophmore who hadn't shown the ability to take over from JRob was his Waterloo . We don't really know if he tried unsuccessfully to get an experienced pg or not now do we ? Last yrs team desperately needed two key players , a pg and a center with a physical presence and the only way to get two guys on last yrs roster was to bounce out an established player . S Jeter was able to convince all his teammates to stay and had KS come in an removed scholarships from some of the current players who knows what that would've done to team chemistry or others decisions to stay or transfer out . ( might have been a good thing ! )
I'm done with the JD blaming , but the roster was what it was and they were able to make the tourney the previous yr while losing only one key player . Why would you break the team up at that point ? You had 6/7 of your top players returning plus you had three new guys coming in who were supposed to be good !
Selling PT is great , but look at the schools those recruits he lost went to . All of those schools have better programs right now than Pitt . I'm sure those recruits think that PT is available to them at those schools or they wouldn't have gone there . You can't discount that being on a team with a chance to win is a lot more fun than facing a season or seasons were if you win 6/7 games isn't a given .
TCU recruiting which was far superior to anything JD in his last three yrs at Pitt can only be credited to his assistants . I liked JD ,but why didn't he recruit those fellas to Pitt ? Because he couldn't or else he would've . He said he wanted to end his career at Pitt and if he could've recruited better he still be living his dream .
Nothing has changed in my low expectations for next season , but recent events just seem to be better and Pitts and KS immediate future will be tied directly to 18's recruiting class . So it won't be long before we all have a handle on the current recruits and the level of recruits that will be in the next class .
Those who constantly bash him may be right , but we're going to get to see over the next few seasons if their right . I'm still pessimistic , but not as much as before .

Reactions: FireballZ
Let me rephrase.

You have said others have a higher opinion of Stewart than you do. Where does your opinion come from? What is it and what is it based on? I am not being argumentative. I am very interested in your answer.

Let me clarify some things about my opinion. I think I said (and if I didn't I wasn't clear or misspoke) that Stewart does little or nothing to make me think he'll improve the coming year. He may end up being a decent player in time, but my expectations are very modest for coming year.

In a previous post, I indicated what I hope to see from him in the coming year. (Getting his shot off, etc.)

I base this opinion on a couple of things. The first is that few players make a major impact during their freshmen years. This is especially true of freshman who come in with a ranking/profile of a 200+ ranked recruit. I don't think that Stewart comes close to being an impact level freshman.

Another poster suggested he could fill into Cam's Johnson role. I believe it's possible that Stewart could be as good in three years as Johnson became after three years. But year one Stewart will likely look very much like year 1-2 Cam, and that Cam understandably looked overmatched at times.

Otherwise, I do have some concerns about his footspeed / overall quickness, and how this could give him some trouble creating/getting off his shot, especially early in his college career. This is huge adjustment for any freshman guard, not just one with questionable footspeed. Perhaps in time, I suspect he'll learn how to do this better.

Another issue for the coming year is that he's likely going to need some creators who can get him shots, and I don't believe we have anyone on the roster who can do this for him. Some posters compared Stewart to Gibbs. I think that this comparison is generous, as Gibbs came to Pitt as ranked maybe 100 or so spots higher by most rankings. But after his freshman year, Gibbs was aided by Brad, Jermaine and others to get him shots. During his freshman year, with so many other weapons to draw attention, Gibbs shot 80-some threes in 36 games in about 11 minutes per game.

Finally, many have pointed to his offers to indicate that he's a decent recruit. I do think they indicate that he is a decent recruit, but hot an elite recruit who makes an instant significant impact. I also think his offers may be a bit inflated because he is available late like this, and many schools with an opening are happy to take a shot at him.

So again, I do like him as a recruit. I think he'll help the team, and I'm glad we got him. By the time he's a junior, I hope he can be a 10PPG or so scorer.

Reactions: FireballZ
Yeah not sure what you are implying here. I certainly did not complain and bitch non stop about the basketball program the last 10 years if that is what you are insinuating. And for the fans that were never happy with what Dixon achieved, they are dopes as well and fall into this same category.
I didn't insinuate anything about you. It was about the dopes who complained for the last decade who are crying about any crticism now.

Of course it should not be met with happiness. But does every post, every thread have to be non stop negative? Someone posts something positive and posters immediately turn it into a piss and moan session.

And on the flip side, the current situation should also be met with a realistic view point. If you didn't see a rebuild coming (short of them hiring Coach K or Calipari) then you are delusional and have completely unrealistic expectations.

And that is not a defense of Stallings either because frankly he needs to start getting better kids on the recruiting trail if he ever has a chance to do anything above average here. His 17 class is ok. It is not great but not terrible either but lacks any high impact type kids. The 18 class needs to be much much much better and needs to include some high end talent that can contribute early. We'll see if that happens and honestly my expectations are that it won't but I am not going to bitch and moan in every thread possible.
Every post for the last decade turned into bitch and moan sessions, and anyone who tried to put any spin on anything was labeled a JIG. That happened back when we were getting 1 seeds, why wouldn't that happen now when we will be projected to be last in conference, with little hope for the future?

Sorry, I did try to be clear that I didn't think you were 'overly positive' during the good days. That seems to be a label that you feel others put on you. I think most find you pretty objective, which is why your recent feelings on recruiting are so surprising. And I don't think many of us consider you a part of the 'circle jerk' crew...ha.
I nominate you for the current president of the circle jerk.:p

Let me clarify some things about my opinion. I think I said (and if I didn't I wasn't clear or misspoke) that Stewart does little or nothing to make me think he'll improve the coming year. He may end up being a decent player in time, but my expectations are very modest for coming year.

In a previous post, I indicated what I hope to see from him in the coming year. (Getting his shot off, etc.)

I base this opinion on a couple of things. The first is that few players make a major impact during their freshmen years. This is especially true of freshman who come in with a ranking/profile of a 200+ ranked recruit. I don't think that Stewart comes close to being an impact level freshman.

Another poster suggested he could fill into Cam's Johnson role. I believe it's possible that Stewart could be as good in three years as Johnson became after three years. But year one Stewart will likely look very much like year 1-2 Cam, and that Cam understandably looked overmatched at times.

Otherwise, I do have some concerns about his footspeed / overall quickness, and how this could give him some trouble creating/getting off his shot, especially early in his college career. This is huge adjustment for any freshman guard, not just one with questionable footspeed. Perhaps in time, I suspect he'll learn how to do this better.

Another issue for the coming year is that he's likely going to need some creators who can get him shots, and I don't believe we have anyone on the roster who can do this for him. Some posters compared Stewart to Gibbs. I think that this comparison is generous, as Gibbs came to Pitt as ranked maybe 100 or so spots higher by most rankings. But after his freshman year, Gibbs was aided by Brad, Jermaine and others to get him shots. During his freshman year, with so many other weapons to draw attention, Gibbs shot 80-some threes in 36 games in about 11 minutes per game.

Finally, many have pointed to his offers to indicate that he's a decent recruit. I do think they indicate that he is a decent recruit, but hot an elite recruit who makes an instant significant impact. I also think his offers may be a bit inflated because he is available late like this, and many schools with an opening are happy to take a shot at him.

So again, I do like him as a recruit. I think he'll help the team, and I'm glad we got him. By the time he's a junior, I hope he can be a 10PPG or so scorer.

Thank you for taking the time to compose such a reasonable and thought out post. I think I understand where you are coming from now. It seems you are saying that you have no particular problem with Stewart. It seems to me you are saying that no recruit ranked about where Stewart is, can realistically be expected to perform at much of an adequate level.

I believe you said much the same about Kithcart last season. You are being consistent.

I would offer two observations:

It seems to me that you and ThirteenNINE are using recruiting ranking to virtually dismiss the possibility that a player might be able to play above those ranking. I think those rankings are vastly overrated. Nix was rated a 3 star on rivals. Haughton is listed as a 2.7 composite star on verbal commits. Stallings told Zegarowki that he is his #1 choice for point guard and he does not know who is #2. Stallings has had visits from Locke, Bolton and Cohill, all of who are more highly rated. Maybe that was just recruiting talk, maybe not. People have won with less than elite players. We have won with less than elite players. I believe we have had less than elite players who have at least contributed as freshmen.It is possible (though not likely). I will not dismiss an individual player just because of a number associated with his name. I need to see a player play.

The other observation is that these players will HAVE to play. There is no alternative. There is no taking Cam out because he looks over matched or taking Ashton out because he made a mistake. Carr, Stewart and George will have to play. They will have to get points and rebounds because there is no one else. Their production will be higher than the average 200 ranked recruit because it has to be. They will play through their tough times because they will have to. They are not in the same situation as a Cam, or Kithcart were. For these players, can't can not exist.

No doubt next season will be hard. Our players will survive and grow because they have to.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to compose such a reasonable and thought out post. I think I understand where you are coming from now. It seems you are saying that you have no particular problem with Stewart. It seems to me you are saying that no recruit ranked about where Stewart is, can realistically be expected to perform at much of an adequate level.

I believe you said much the same about Kithcart last season. You are being consistent.

It seems to me that you and ThirteenNINE are using recruiting ranking to virtually dismiss the possibility that a player might be able to play above those ranking. I think those rankings are vastly overrated. Nix was rated a 3 star on rivals. Haughton is listed as a 2.7 composite star on verbal commits. Stallings told Zegarowki that he is his #1 choice for point guard and he does not know who is #2. Stallings has had visits from Locke, Bolton and Cohill, all of who are more highly rated. Maybe that was just recruiting talk, maybe not. People have won with less than elite players. We have won with less than elite players. I believe we have had less than elite players who have at least contributed as freshmen.It is possible (though not likely). I will not dismiss an individual player just because of a number associated with his name. I need to see a player play.

The other observation is that these players will HAVE to play. There is no alternative. There is no taking Cam out because he looks over matched or taking Ashton out because he made a mistake. Carr, Stewart and George will have to play. They will have to get points and rebounds because there is no one else. Their production will be higher than the average 200 ranked recruit because it has to be. They will play through their tough times because they will have to. They are not in the same situation as a Cam, or Kithcart were. For these players, can't can not exist.

No doubt next season will be hard. Our players will survive and grow because they have to.
This is very magnanimous of you.

Reactions: levance2

FWIW, Nix was a 2 star on Rivals.

I do think players can play above (and below) their rankings. It happens time and time again. But they are a good place to start. Occasionally, there is a Steph Curry who far exceeds. But you are probably in not such a good place if you are hoping all of your players over perform.

And the rankings are from people who have seen most of these players play several times over. I surely have to go with what those folks think more than what I do.

This much I will say -- RARELY do you see at top 200 hoops recruit make a large contribution right away. Sometimes they grow over time, but that takes a couple years in most cases. So I don't mind folks like Stewart as recruits, but I want to see them play a couple years down the road. I felt much the same way about Corey the year before.

Your last point is a good one, but its going to be interesting to see what it means.

I do think Carr will have to play plenty. As I said before, it will be discouraging to me if Milligan and Boykins are playing more than Stewart.

I don't know who will play the most among Brown, George or even Stephenson.

This year won't be good, but it certainly won't be predictable.

FWIW, Nix was a 2 star on Rivals.

I do think players can play above (and below) their rankings. It happens time and time again. But they are a good place to start. Occasionally, there is a Steph Curry who far exceeds. But you are probably in not such a good place if you are hoping all of your players over perform.

And the rankings are from people who have seen most of these players play several times over. I surely have to go with what those folks think more than what I do.

This much I will say -- RARELY do you see at top 200 hoops recruit make a large contribution right away. Sometimes they grow over time, but that takes a couple years in most cases. So I don't mind folks like Stewart as recruits, but I want to see them play a couple years down the road. I felt much the same way about Corey the year before.

Your last point is a good one, but its going to be interesting to see what it means.

I do think Carr will have to play plenty. As I said before, it will be discouraging to me if Milligan and Boykins are playing more than Stewart.

I don't know who will play the most among Brown, George or even Stephenson.

This year won't be good, but it certainly won't be predictable.

If you go into commitments on this site, year 2015 is showing Nix as a three star

If you go into commitments on this site, year 2015 is showing Nix as a three star

Yeah ... my bad ... I was recalling his composite on Verbal Commits. Don't know why my brain was thinking it was Rivals instead.

Recruiting falls on Stallings, period. He gets a partial pass for the first year, but it's still mostly on him that he brought in those stiffs that Dixon recruited.

How did we get here? A team with 4 seniors and two classes (6 players) of limited ability. I don't care what number they were ranked, because I saw them play. That's 10 guys.

Where are we at? He signed what looks to be a mediocre class based on rankings. I am not a stars / rankings don't matter guy. However, I'm not that sure there's that much difference between 100, 150, or 200. Some coaches have a better eye than others, and that's why I'm putting part of last years class on Stallings. He either didn't see they weren't good enough or was too lazy / incapable of finding replacements.

I have no problem with the late recruits after the roster was blown up. They will either show they have it, or they will get recruited over. I'll be more interested in what the early signings show and how 2018 recruited progresses.

My opinion from the start has been that this team was in a bad spot with respect to the roster. Anyone who couldn't see that last season was blind. This year was a throw away no matter who was coaching.
Count me in the group that most certainly didn't think we were in a bad spot going into last year. In fact, the consensus of this board was somewhat optimistic we would make the tournament, perhaps not the NCAAT but certainly the NIT. We had the ACC top 2 scoring players returning! So yeah, I was very shocked how badly things turned out.

Count me in the group that most certainly didn't think we were in a bad spot going into last year. In fact, the consensus of this board was somewhat optimistic we would make the tournament, perhaps not the NCAAT but certainly the NIT. We had the ACC top 2 scoring players returning! So yeah, I was very shocked how badly things turned out.
Even if JD could've squeezed another two wins out of this group this makes you realize how valuable a quality pg (JRob ) is !

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Even if JD could've squeezed another two wins out of this group this makes you realize how valuable a quality pg (JRob ) is !
Honestly, there was no excuse for the complete collapse. They had the tools to be decent.

Honestly, there was no excuse for the complete collapse. They had the tools to be decent.

No need for excuses pitt-girl, they were not that good and certainly not as good as you and others thought they were. Last October I penciled in twelve sure losses before really scrutinizing the schedule. During the season there were at least six opportunities to win games by making a play or two at the end and they failed. That in a nutshell is your season. The Duquesne loss should have signaled what was coming.

Also thought and expressed it many times the teams ceiling was on the NIT bubble with a quick exit. Soooooo glad the team was gutted. Have no clue what this year brings other than I think they will be better than what the negative nellies are predicting. I won't miss the mental fatigue I suffered from the last cast of characters.

Reactions: 88Pitt88 and gary2
No need for excuses pitt-girl, they were not that good and certainly not as good as you and others thought they were. Last October I penciled in twelve sure losses before really scrutinizing the schedule. During the season there were at least six opportunities to win games by making a play or two at the end and they failed. That in a nutshell is your season. The Duquesne loss should have signaled what was coming.

Also thought and expressed it many times the teams ceiling was on the NIT bubble with a quick exit. Soooooo glad the team was gutted. Have no clue what this year brings other than I think they will be better than what the negative nellies are predicting. I won't miss the mental fatigue I suffered from the last cast of characters.
Well, I felt pretty good after the UMD win. And you're right - no excuses - they SHOULD have been better. There was absolutely no reason to lose to ANY team by 55 points.

What is your prediction for our ACC record for the coming season?

I'm liking this year's class, this is one of my personal favorite signings from it. Hopefully this year is when we really start to see the difference in the up tempo style play and not just a difference in it but also for it to start being played the right way.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I don't know what their ceiling is. I will set the floor at twelve. Only because they will beat the cupcakes and not go winless in the acc.

I'm having a hard time seeing any more than two wins in the ACC. That might be optimistic knowing that we could be underdogs in all but one game (BC at home?).

And if we played the same OOC schedule as last year, our record there would have likely been something like 7-6, or 8-5 at best.

Consider that our actual OOC record was 11-2, but this coming year, we would likely lose games such as Maryland, PSU and Marquette Then consider that we beat EMU by 3, Yale by 5, Buffalo by 5, and Marshall by 6.

I don't consider myself a negative Nellie, but that puts the floor at ten at best.

Reactions: jctrack
I'm having a hard time seeing any more than two wins in the ACC. That might be optimistic knowing that we could be underdogs in all but one game (BC at home?).

And if we played the same OOC schedule as last year, our record there would have likely been something like 7-6, or 8-5 at best.

Consider that our actual OOC record was 11-2, but this coming year, we would likely lose games such as Maryland, PSU and Marquette Then consider that we beat EMU by 3, Yale by 5, Buffalo by 5, and Marshall by 6.

I don't consider myself a negative Nellie, but that puts the floor at ten at best.
That's why their record this yr isn't important . Finding out who can play and what their ceilings are the important factors .

I agree....these kids coming in HAVE to play. We have no one else. But to say they HAVE to score or rebound or defend is incorrect. They will be forced into situations that they've never seen before and will play....true. But indicators say they won't play well. They will be overmatched in most if not all games. A few of them are decent recruits that may develop in 2 or 3 years into players that can play in the ACC. But as freshmen??? That's a lot to ask of any of the guys in this group. This isn't their fault or their problem.

Stallings had the best group of players he's going to have at Pitt with the team he had last year. What did he do with them? He barely eeked out 15 wins and missed every tournament out there. What will he do with a squad that is full of freshmen and untested players and players that aren't ready for the ACC?

So now we wait and hope that in the next 3 or 4 years, someone can turn this program around and back to where we were, even 2 years ago. I doubt that coach will be Stallings. He's never done this before in his long, unremarkable career. I don't think he's capable of suddenly doing it now. For now, I'm just hoping the food choices at The Pete improve and I'll just sit back, no stress, and watch some basketball without any regard to winning games.

I agree....these kids coming in HAVE to play. We have no one else. But to say they HAVE to score or rebound or defend is incorrect. They will be forced into situations that they've never seen before and will play....true. But indicators say they won't play well. They will be overmatched in most if not all games. A few of them are decent recruits that may develop in 2 or 3 years into players that can play in the ACC. But as freshmen??? That's a lot to ask of any of the guys in this group. This isn't their fault or their problem.

Stallings had the best group of players he's going to have at Pitt with the team he had last year. What did he do with them? He barely eeked out 15 wins and missed every tournament out there. What will he do with a squad that is full of freshmen and untested players and players that aren't ready for the ACC?

So now we wait and hope that in the next 3 or 4 years, someone can turn this program around and back to where we were, even 2 years ago. I doubt that coach will be Stallings. He's never done this before in his long, unremarkable career. I don't think he's capable of suddenly doing it now. For now, I'm just hoping the food choices at The Pete improve and I'll just sit back, no stress, and watch some basketball without any regard to winning games.
Let's hope that your wrong and that last yrs team will not be the most talented team at Pitt for awhile . There was individual talent , but the team lacked three major pieces a pg , a rim protector and a bench . One thing that is obvious is that KS will recruit guys that have the size to play inside . I also think position wise Pitt will be a more balanced team . Wether or not they're ACC players we will see . He was also able to recruit several NBA players to Vanderbilt and unless Y & A do something special this summer neither will playing in NBA . You like to be totally negative towards KS , I'm still leaning negativity , but softening since he's here two more yrs . We'll know a lot more by Dec .

That's why their record this yr isn't important . Finding out who can play and what their ceilings are the important factors .
Record may not be as important, but showing improvement most certainly is. Things will get very interesting in Oakland if they collapse like last year.

Let's hope that your wrong and that last yrs team will not be the most talented team at Pitt for awhile . There was individual talent , but the team lacked three major pieces a pg , a rim protector and a bench . One thing that is obvious is that KS will recruit guys that have the size to play inside . I also think position wise Pitt will be a more balanced team . Wether or not they're ACC players we will see . He was also able to recruit several NBA players to Vanderbilt and unless Y & A do something special this summer neither will playing in NBA . You like to be totally negative towards KS , I'm still leaning negativity , but softening since he's here two more yrs . We'll know a lot more by Dec .

I wish I could be more optimistic. I want Pitt to win. Frankly, I don't like Stallings as a person let alone a coach, so I want him as far away from the Pitt program as possible and as soon as possible. Sorry, I just don't like him. And players have echoed these same thoughts. I struggle to understand why he even had the success he had at Vandy, if you call that success. He's been mediocre or worse for his entire career. I don't see that changing at Pitt. Just being realistic, and I wish I would be wrong and you would be right.

I wish I could be more optimistic. I want Pitt to win. Frankly, I don't like Stallings as a person let alone a coach, so I want him as far away from the Pitt program as possible and as soon as possible. Sorry, I just don't like him. And players have echoed these same thoughts. I struggle to understand why he even had the success he had at Vandy, if you call that success. He's been mediocre or worse for his entire career. I don't see that changing at Pitt. Just being realistic, and I wish I would be wrong and you would be right.
How much time have you spent with him to determine that he is a bad person?

Reactions: Pitt4424

You could be right. The X factor is how well they play on the defensive side. Hard to imagine no improvement from last years level of ineptitude. I also think he adds another player and hopefully he will bring something to the table.

I'm under no illusion that we will resemble something good. Just don't think they will be god awful bad. If they don't exceed ten wins I'll buy you a beer; maybe two.

Record may not be as important, but showing improvement most certainly is. Things will get very interesting in Oakland if they collapse like last year.
They need to find 2/3 good players and a future bench out of this bunch . Last seasons team seemed not to respond much to either his or JDs coaching . Without JRob I'm not sure there's very many coaches out there that could've changed their play last season. For all those know it alls we'll really get a chance to see if KS can coach !

You could be right. The X factor is how well they play on the defensive side. Hard to imagine no improvement from last years level of ineptitude. I also think he adds another player and hopefully he will bring something to the table.

I'm under no illusion that we will resemble something good. Just don't think they will be god awful bad. If they don't exceed ten wins I'll buy you a beer; maybe two.
Fair enough. Certainly not a bet I want to win.

In case you guys don't know, they are going to start selling beer at the Pete next year. I believe it will be Miller Light and Yuengling. Does that help those who are so down on this new roster?

In case you guys don't know, they are going to start selling beer at the Pete next year. I believe it will be Miller Light and Yuengling. Does that help those who are so down on this new roster?
Miller Lite and Yuengling only depresses me all the more.

Reactions: NTOP
I'm more of a craft beer guy, IPAs and Stouts, but they would probably charge $15 a beer. I would not pay that for a beer just on principle... The selection they had on football signing day would be nice though.

Still looking for those elite recruits.

In the words of the great country singer K.T.Oslin:
(I saw her on Austin City Limits - one of the best concerts I have ever seen on TV)

That's why Willie ain't got no woman and Mary ain't got no man.;)

Last edited:
I'm more of a craft beer guy, IPAs and Stouts, but they would probably charge $15 a beer. I would not pay that for a beer just on principle... The selection they had on football signing day would be nice though.
I'm a huge beer snob ... decent craft is about $8 a bottle in the club.

I'm a huge beer snob ... decent craft is about $8 a bottle in the club.
Yeah, I used to make fun of the beer snobs until I actually tried the different beers. I'm one of them now and can't get enough. Have even planned a few vacations based on what breweries were in the area.

Think of the promotions they can run .
If they win a game next game beers a buck !
Might be better for attendance though if they lose the previous game beers a buck !
Lose by more than 55 next game beers 55 cents
If KS gets kicked out of a game in the first half he buys the house a beer .
Bring a friend get two for one all night .
Renew your season tickets free beer all season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT